Returning to PoE to scam people

Hello. I heard about the new league being released for PoE through word of mouth and thought I would at least check up on it to see what was going on. All these [Removed by Support] scamming threads are giving me a good chuckle because back in my day scamming people was part of the gameplay experience and players either went back to yahoo checkers or toughened up and learned their lesson. The game I played was joyous and full of wonderment where there were endless possibilities. Forums back then were either nonexistent or not popular yet so the players were "forced" to play ithe game the way the devs envisioned instead of being balanced by 12 year olds who just died to x so they think x is antifun toxic cancer xenophobicia and needs to be nerfed.

The game I am talking about of course is classic Diablo 2. Over the years there has been a normie beta uprising who may have convinced you that LoD was the shit and cD2 was just okay or bad cuz muh runewords but I can prove to you this is not the case. I played D2+LoD for a decade including launch day but had given it up for about 5 years now. The biggest victories still remain vivid in my mind to this day however. Sit down [Removed by Support], I got some stories to tell.

The first I only remember because it was the only time I pushed little wheelchair Billy down the staircase and felt bad about it. When you entered into a D2 game the players char and account name are both posted. The player in question was named bleh123. His account in question was bleh123. I never had tried to actually steal someones account before but for some reason this character had compelled me. I log out and punch in account bleh123. I type in password bleh123. I am logged in. I quickly changed the pw and with my heartbeat racing I go from character to character looking through all the items. He was a complete noob and had nothing of value. As I am sifting through the garbage I get a pm from bleh321 sending me "?". I replied with ":)" and quickly logged off. I punched in account bleh321. I put in password bleh321...

...to be continued below
Last edited by Massy on Jul 9, 2019, 2:45:33 AM
Last bumped on Jul 9, 2019, 9:35:26 AM
Fuck, it didnt work. A valuable lesson was learned today. I thought to myself that I had actually provided a service to this gentleman. I imagine he changed his email and banking passwords after the incident and no further harm was done. I charsi'd (sold) all of blehs gear and used the account as my 13th mule. Occasionally there would be a pm from bleh321 which never contained any anger or swear words, just some small talk thinly hiding the desperation. I nicely kept telling him I wont give it back, not having the heart to tell him that all his hard work was put in the dumpster and I was using the shell of his former self as a vassal for all the sweet shit I was hoarding. He occasionally sent a pm over that half year, very polite and optimistic. One day bleh321 invited me to play with him. "Ok" I replied. We did nightmare act4 iirc and for a half hour we spent together we managed to down Hephisto. "Can I please have my account back?" he asked in our moment of victory. I told him Id give him some of his items back to be fair. I took a bunch of the useless rares we had found during our Hephisto journey and dropped them a little outside town for him. He sauntered over to embrace his long lost love only to be instantly hostiled and PKed. The items left there to discover, I stood by my pal Tyreal waiting for what he was going to say. Bleh321 did not respond however. He left the game and I never heard from him again.

Story 2

I was very knowledgable about the art of Diablo 2. I would get really good items before most thought possible back then. I remember having a very early windforce and putting it on an alt to scam kids with. I would spam in all the trade channels something like "omgfff a windferce just dropped from ball HELP whats it worth". I would recieve tens of messages from people offering to trade me their "fair" deals and in the game we went. Now I have a long history of trade window scamming people but it may work only 1 out of 25 times. The effort wasnt even worth it for me in terms of value, I just did it out of the pure enjoyment of screwing someone who thought they were taking advantage of me and in return for their honesty (and loot) they were rewarded a magical bow of dogshit. This windferce idea I brainstormed was different however. It gave these people a sense of urgency to get my bow before anyone else. The rate of success window scamming this way was WAY higher. I got 3 people in a row and even with these kids spamming all the trade channels on what I had done there were still many lining up to get my precious windferce. Robbing 10 people now, the bordom started setting in. One guy was spam PMing me still though. Just one more. The ridiculousness of the situation compelled me to do something really obvious. IIRC windforces were a black bow. I put it in the trade window and then "disconnected". I came back to the game, let him put all his little sojs up and put in a green bow and hit accept. "Thanks" I probably said before going back to trade chat to enjoy the aftermath of what I had done. Probably for the first time in Diablo 2 trade channel 7 history there was bare minimal trading spam and a lot of actual conversation going on.

Story 3 next...
Last edited by Massy on Jul 9, 2019, 2:49:05 AM
[Removed by Support]

by the way the bow is named windforce! Not windferce and by certainly not wind fart.
Last edited by Nichelle_GGG on Jul 9, 2019, 9:22:15 AM
I don't know, I kinda like "Wind Fart". It's got style!
God Fasser
[3.9]Hasunic's Toxic Rain Trickster: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2712106
[3.7]Voidforge Flicker Strike Slayer: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2532214
[3.7]Oni-Goroshi Fire Vaal Reave Zerker: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2583978
So much to be learned about human character, the so called psyche (and whether one believes in its existence/mortality or not is irrelevant here) is a wonderful and curious thing. It's like... ice, can be quite hard, hard as hard can get, yet it can melt away to oblivion, and beyond. One may see through it, yet see themselves in it. Therein lies power.

It would have been ok if after the "lesson learned" part you'd just simply given the account back to the poor soul, but no, you had to keep it as a... trophy. [Removed by Support] You undoubtedly helped that certain person realize how cruel things can get in... real life, which is both ironic and ridiculous at the same time, considering the fact that it's a virtual world of a computer game that the whole incident took place. But the victor between the two of you, my friend is definitely NOT you, it's the other person. Not only because they learned their lesson well, and you obviously didn't, but because they managed to pull through the ordeal without... blinking an eye, remaining stoic and calm, controlling their anger and frustration, even trying to make amends all the way to the very end. That certain person was trying to... help you, only you never realized that, regretably so. The sad part is that you still don't. Even saddest is that most likely you never will.

So remember this person fondly, cherish the memory, it IS quite... precious.
Ἀρχή Σοφίας ἡ τῶν ὀνομάτων ἐπίσκεψις -Ἀντισθένης ἁπλοκύων
Last edited by Nichelle_GGG on Jul 9, 2019, 9:26:29 AM
This thread should be closed in the memory of human dignity.
I can't bring myself to ever scam in a game, but i appreciate the people who can. Good read, keep showing those noobs what's up.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
Charan has spoken as the herald of Off Topic, and here we magically are.

Welcome to the cesspool, enjoy your stay.
Souls along a conduit of blood, from one vessel to the next.
This wasn't a scam as much as it was a case of the human condition. I remember being a child and going to the water park. One ride in particular had this kind of plastic buggy you would ride down the slide and into the water below. As I mounted my ride the park employee only said one thing to me: "do not let go". I went down the slide and as the bottom approach I decided to see if I could hold on with my legs only and took my hands off the grip. As I fell backwards i realized how stupid of a move this was. Luckily my concious remained. My ego however was not since there was about 40 people at the bottom laughing.

When I would PK someone, usually in an empty game, I would stand on the players corpse and hit loot duel. Id talk a lot of shit to the player and say hes too scared to hit the botton as well. "You think I am that stupid?" would be the common reply. The trick about doing this is that the longer the player stays in the game the higher the chance he would hit loot duel. Id inform the naked player if he only did it once I would leave. "Im the idiot but your the scared one :)" Id goad him on. The moment they would always hit that button was between heavy typing back and forth. Unfortunately I had a lifetime of training to be a great pianist err typist with my left hand while my right was squarely on my mouse rapidly left clicking my enemies corpse. This worked a lot more then you would think.

Windferce was an intentional typo. R3ddit kids are starting to get triggered.

Story 4 incoming...
Last edited by Massy on Jul 9, 2019, 7:59:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info