Bear trap broken or not?

I would like someone to try to convince me that bear trap in its current form is not broken in pvp. I have an open mind so no one needs to freak out that I am upset about anything. Right now my current opinion is that its not just OP but needs to be reworked for pvp.

My biggest issue is using multiple gems of bear trap. It already does very high damage but people can also spam them with multiple gems? Not only is it a ton of damage but you are rendered completely immobile until the traps finally kill you.

Here are some thoughts and questions...

1) As far as I know bear traps don't even require any passives for their damage. Which means all you have to do is slap the gems on and lvl them. If there are buffs for it I am going to assume its very easy to do. IMO stuff this powerful should take some serious investment. Am I wrong here?

2) Unless you are fast enough to dodge and avoid the traps is there any counters to them? I don't know of any and if I am right I think thats a problem. All it takes is getting hit by one and then your pretty screwed.

Anyway if I am wrong thats fine. I am still pretty new to pvp so please just explain in detail if I am right about this stuff or wrong. Thanks.

Edit:

One thing that bugs me about bear trap is just the crazy damage that it can do with very little player investment.

I recently played a very good pvper who could harly hurt me with his spec. Meaning his actual build that he made for his character (gems, passives, weapon) was not inflicting enough damage on me to kill me. So instead of using his build he starts hitting me with bear traps THAT HURT ME FAR MORE THAN HIS WEAPON DID.

I don't see the logic in how a trap should inflict huge amounts of damage where the guys weapon couldn't do much to me at all.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Mar 23, 2013, 11:53:51 PM
Could always try improve your awareness and try have your enemy on same screen if he only uses traps?

Its not impossible at all to dodge a trap if he throws directly at you, especially not if you temp chain
Sugarpuff level 86 witch default laugue
"
sugarpuff wrote:
Could always try improve your awareness and try have your enemy on same screen if he only uses traps?

Its not impossible at all to dodge a trap if he throws directly at you, especially not if you temp chain

I appreciate this advice and maybe it does work for some people but I personally don't feel that it makes multiple bear traps any less broken.

Eventually one will hit you and then your taking massive damage and can't even move. I am sure some builds out there can handle this problem but I am willing to bet that its a huge issue for most players.

Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Mar 14, 2013, 2:59:24 AM
I don't feel that Bear Trap is OP for PvP, though it does seem to get used a lot. By me as well, though more as a means of tilting than as an I Win skill. It can in fact be improved with your gear, so there is some significant investment involved in really making it good. Mine currently shows as doing 297.7 DPS but my gear isn't that great yet. I only use one despite the obvious benefit of chaining them with multiple gems.

What I do think needs addressed is the ability to bypass a skill's cooldown by using multiple gems. Flicker Strike is abused with multiple gems as well. The argument that it takes extra skill slots doesn't really sit well with me. Might as well let us drop in multiple support gems of the same type for a single skill.. they're taking up their own sockets, right? You wouldn't use multiple gems if there were no cooldown, so their use is specifically to bypass the cooldown.. it's a bug or unintended(?) feature, imo, currently being exploited.

Dodging Bear Trap isn't that hard.. yes, you'll get caught if you aren't paying attention but you'll learn from it hopefully. Not sure, but I think you can break out of it w/ a mobility skill like Leap Slam. And AoE can destroy Bear Trap even if you can't see it.. dropping cheap Fire Traps to clear the field may be an idea for you?
"
Durentis wrote:

Dodging Bear Trap isn't that hard.. yes, you'll get caught if you aren't paying attention but you'll learn from it hopefully. Not sure, but I think you can break out of it w/ a mobility skill like Leap Slam. And AoE can destroy Bear Trap even if you can't see it.. dropping cheap Fire Traps to clear the field may be an idea for you?

I will have to check the mobility skills thing for getting out of them which might help. Although I don't really agree that dodging them makes it ok. You can't just dodge them all day long, at some point you have to turn and attack them and when you do that you are in the same location for a few seconds which can make you suseptible to having a bear trap dropped right on your head.

Standard Forever
"
iamstryker wrote:
You can't just dodge them all day long, at some point you have to turn and attack them and when you do that you are in the same location for a few seconds which can make you suseptible to having a bear trap dropped right on your head.

Perhaps I'm biased, fighting generally from range. I have time to see the traps coming and then they still have to set before they trigger. I do tend to forget where they set though.. IBreakFaces catches me with them but I'd say it's always my fault for getting caught by them.

But I'd think that if you're at melee range, you're either destroying your opponent while (s)he casts and sets the trap or you're both taking heavy damage and the trap is the least of your worry. Even though you don't have the distance, you can still probably see and react to the casting animation. Someone with the trap passives may make things a fair bit more awkward. Dunno.

If Bear Trap were nerfed/removed I'm not sure how I'd deal with the various Flicker Strike combos..

I should also add that I play L28 HC PvP exclusively. Could be things are much different with Bear Trap in open PvP.

In any case, it's counterable in multiple ways without creating a specific build so I don't see how it could be broken.
Imo, problem with certain sills such as bear trap, viper strike etc. in level 28 pvp is that it requeres little to no investments in your passives/gear to make decent damage. For example you can go pure defence build and simply have few bear traps gems, viper strike with +1 (which does 120 dps), and have Geofry with few flicker gems or dual weapons on switch weapon. So with pure defense build you still make lots of damage.
ign: Grandpa_From_Graveyard
"
Durentis wrote:
"
iamstryker wrote:
You can't just dodge them all day long, at some point you have to turn and attack them and when you do that you are in the same location for a few seconds which can make you suseptible to having a bear trap dropped right on your head.

Perhaps I'm biased, fighting generally from range. I have time to see the traps coming and then they still have to set before they trigger. I do tend to forget where they set though.. IBreakFaces catches me with them but I'd say it's always my fault for getting caught by them.

But I'd think that if you're at melee range, you're either destroying your opponent while (s)he casts and sets the trap or you're both taking heavy damage and the trap is the least of your worry. Even though you don't have the distance, you can still probably see and react to the casting animation. Someone with the trap passives may make things a fair bit more awkward. Dunno.

If Bear Trap were nerfed/removed I'm not sure how I'd deal with the various Flicker Strike combos..

I should also add that I play L28 HC PvP exclusively. Could be things are much different with Bear Trap in open PvP.

In any case, it's counterable in multiple ways without creating a specific build so I don't see how it could be broken.

I'm sorry to put it bluntly, but yes, your biased.

Well my opinion on viper strike I believe it is balanced because there is technically two ways around it.

1- High chaos resist

2- Chaos Inoculation

With Bear trap, it is unblockable damage, The way the mechanic is in this game when it comes to scaling only makes bear trap worse, long story short with physical damage from any physical attack either is highly mitigated through armor, or almost none at all. And the problem with bear trap is that it's base damage scales so high that any class can have success with the ability, even if no talent points invested into bear trap, thus making the ability completely and utterly broken.

Most people are in denial that this is broken ability and trying to make sure that this thread, or any thread related to bear trap won't get heard by simply saying learn to play, or some comment pertaining to said persons overall knowledge of the game, without even seeing them play. Which is laughable.

Fix: Lower the damage on bear trap, and increase the immobilize, that way your making bear trap not a finisher, but a trusted crowd control FOR a finisher. The purpose of this ability should be about containment, not about damage. Plain and simple.

Anyone who disagrees with this is simply in denial, and more than likely abusing said skill. I prefer not to cheese the system. And as of right now it's easy mac.

BringYourFriends
just use a firestorm ... traps are gone.
if you are trapped do a flicker strike or whirling blades to move.
ign Fire_Fury
"
just use a firestorm ... traps are gone.
if you are trapped do a flicker strike or whirling blades to move.

Way easier to do that: Just use a lvl 1 arc gem, and it will auto target the invisible traps and destroy them.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info