[3.16] Scourge Arrow Poison Prolif Pathfinder - Fast, tanky, fun to play, beginner friendly

Hello. Welcome to my Scourge Arrow build guide. So, let me start with saying that I really love Scourge Arrow. I tried quite a few variations of SA and I think I like this one the most.

Why? well, mostly thanks to Master Toxicist awesome poison proliferation. It solves a lot of problems that Scourge Arrow has, and that is having to charge to deal good damage, having issues with struggler monsters near walls and having issues with outputing damage consistently (because of constant charge/release playstyle). Master Toxicist solves this by proliferating all our poisons to nearby enemies when they die, so we just need to shoot once, and everything around dies, including rares and leaves no strugglers behind. And for bosses, well, our poisons last around 5 seconds and we run Mirage Archer so boss will be constantly dealt decent DoT damage, even when we are dodging.

Also, in 3.7 and 3.8 poison builds received huge buffs on tree, and Darkscorn (currently one of the best bows for this build) received huge buff as well. Scourge Arrow was buffed too (we no longer have any issues with doors) so now it actually feels great to play even in closed areas.

If you have any questions about the build or just want to talk you can always @ me in PoE Discord (my username is deathbeam#0001).

Changelog

Click here to view

Pro's & Con's

+ Relatively good single target after you get the playstyle down
+ Really good clear speed (because of Master Toxicist poison proliferation and Scourge Arrow hitting whole screens)
+ Multiple build variations
+ 170%+ increased movement speed
+ 60%+ attack avoid chance
+ 23% less damage taken from hits (Petrified Blood)
+ 80%+ maximum chaos resistance (if using Divine Flesh)
+ Permanent flask uptime (Nature's Boon)
+ High life recovery (thanks to very high Life flask investment and scaling)
+ Can do most map mods (no leech can be annoying, unlucky dodge is dangerous)
+ Can do all content
+ Decent league starter as it can work just fine on Skin of the Loyal, Nightgrip and Darkscorn (and before that you can stick with Poisonous Concoction)

- Scourge Arrow playstyle takes some time getting used to
- Very active playstyle (a lot of flask pressing, a lot of active skills and positioning)
- Enemies do not die instantly so sometimes we can take some dangerous hits (we combat this with our high defenses)
- Scourge Arrow without Darkscorn is like bread without butter, you really should not do it (what means in SSF if you dont have Darkscorn just stick with Poisonous Concoction until you get it, problem is its not target farmable)

Content Done

- All guardians
- All conquerors
- Atziri
- Uber Atziri
- Mastermind
- Shaper
- Elder
- Uber Elder
- Sirus
- Simulacrum
- 5 way battle
- Delve depth 600+
- 100% Delirious T19 Double Beyond maps
- All Maven's Invitations
- Maven

My characters using this build

- Legion character
- Blight character
- Metamorph character
- Delirium character
- Harvest character
- Heist character
- Ultimatum character
- Expedition character

Path of Building

Path of Building is tool for PoE to plan gear, skill tree and calculate effective damage. It also contains Bandits and Pantheon choice. You can download it here. Important! Make sure you are on Path of Building Comminity version, the guide requires it. If you do not know how to use Path of Building, watch this video. After that simply import below Pastebin URL into PoB:

Pastebin

Navigating through PoB (important, read carefully)

There are trees for level 100, 90, 80, 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20 and 10. Bear in mind that low level trees are optimized for my playstyle and do not really prioritze taking a lot of life early.
There are also special trees for various build variations (see Build Variations section).
Use dropdown in bottom left corner of Tree section in PoB to cycle between the trees:

There are also special item sets for various build variations.
Use dropdown in top area of Items section in PoB to cycle between item sets:

There are multiple gem sets as well again for varions build variations.
You can see them all as disabled/greyed out in Skills section in PoB:

How to configure PoB for your own character

To calculate the actual DPS your Scourge Arrow is doing simply multiply your damage by 10.16. And for ballistas by 8 * ballista count.

Explanation of 10.16 multi:
- DPS * 6 because of 6 Thorn Arrows
- DPS * 2 because Release is worth exactly 2 Thorn Arrows
- Multiply all of that by 1.27 because of Mirage Archer
- You end up at (6 + 2) * 1.27 what is 10.16

After importing your character to PoB, follow these steps to properly configure it to show your actual stats:

1. Switch to your Ballista setup on left and select Thorn Arrows in dropdown under skill. Set Stages to 5. Then set Count on SA linked to [/b]Ballista Totem[/b] to 40 and then click Include in Full DPS.
2. Switch to your Scourge Arrow setup on left and select Thorn Arrows in dropdown under skill. Set Stages to 5. Then set Count on SA to 10 and then click Include in Full DPS.
3. Enable all flasks in items section and switch to configuration section
4. Check Do you use Frenzy Charges? (if you have Anomalous Blood Rage)
5. Check Are you Focused?
6. Check Do you have Phasing?
7. Check Do you have Alchemists' Genius? (if you have Spiked Concoction on cluster jewel)
8. Check Are you Leeching?
9. Check Have you Crit Recently?
10. Check Is Infusion Active?
11. Set Plague Bearer state to Infecting
12. Set # of Withered stacks to 15
13. Check Is the enemy Blinded? (if you have source of Blind on abyss jewel)
14. Set Is enemy boss? to Sirus

Build Variations

Damage: 5/10
Survivability: 5/10
Initial investment:: 3/10

This setup is not utilizing anything special, only base tree without Cluster Jewels and basic gear. It is the ideal setup for league start or as temporary setup before getting enough currency for one of the alternative setups. Also it is most straightforward setup, what makes it easy to follow and the reason why it was chosen as default setup. All leveling trees are also made for this setup, when migrating to alternative setups just check the difference between default tree and alternative tree to see what to change.

You can start transitioning to other setups from default setup at level 85+.

Endgame

Damage: 8/10
Survivability: 8/10
Initial investment: 8/10

This setup is utilizing Cluster Jewels and Divine Flesh keystone in order to improve our defenses and damage. Divine Flesh makes 50% of elemental damage to be taken as chaos damage and also grants us 5% additional maximum chaos resistance.
We use this in combination with Darkscorn what makes us take some physical damage as chaos damage and Infused Channeling that reduces incoming chaos damage.

There are special Endgame trees and Endgame item set for this setup (see Navigating through PoB section).

To get Divine Flesh, simply get Glorious Vanity jewel with modifier Bathed in the blood of (100-8000) sacrificed in the name of Xibaqua. The number on jewel does not matter, only the name is important.

Leveling and gearing

Leveling gear

Gem progression

The gems and setup below are sorted vertically based on priority, where stuff on bottom is less important in each level breakpoint section. Gem names that are italic are the ones that changed since previous level breakpoint.

Level 1
3 link - Caustic Arrow (Act 1 - Enemy at the Gate - Nessa)
    Pierce Support (Act 1 - Enemy at the Gate - Nessa)
    Chance to Poison Support

Level 4
3 link - Caustic Arrow
    Pierce Support
    Chance to Poison Support
1 link - Dash (Act 1 - Breaking Some Eggs - Nessa)
1 link - Steelskin (Act 1 - Breaking Some Eggs - Nessa)

Level 8
4 link - Caustic Arrow
    Pierce Support
    Void Manipulation Support (Act 1 - The Caged Brute - Nessa)
    Chance to Poison Support
1 link - Dash
1 link - Steelskin

Level 10
4 link - Caustic Arrow
    Pierce Support
    Void Manipulation Support
    Chance to Poison Support
1 link - Dash
1 link - Steelskin
1 link - Withering Step (Act 1 - The Caged Brute - Nessa)

Level 12
5 link - Poisonous Concoction
    Unbound Ailments Support (Act 3 - A Fixture of Fate - Siosa)
    Lesser Multiple Projectiles Support (Act 1 - The Caged Brute - Nessa)
    Chance to Poison Support
1 link - Dash
1 link - Steelskin
1 link - Withering Step

Level 16
5 link - Poisonous Concoction
    Unbound Ailments Support
    Lesser Multiple Projectiles Support
    Chance to Poison Support
1 link - Dash
1 link - Steelskin
1 link - Withering Step
1 link - Herald of Agony (Act 2 - Intruders in Black - Yeena)
1 link - Blood Rage (Act 2 - Intruders in Black - Yeena)

Level 18
6 link - Poisonous Concoction
    Deadly Ailments Support (Act 2 - Sharp and Cruel - Yeena)
    Unbound Ailments Support
    Vicious Projectiles Support (Act 2 - Sharp and Cruel - Yeena)
1 link - Dash
1 link - Steelskin
1 link - Withering Step
1 link - Herald of Agony
1 link - Blood Rage

Level 24
    Deadly Ailments Support
    Unbound Ailments Support
    Vicious Projectiles Support
1 link - Dash
1 link - Steelskin
1 link - Withering Step
1 link - Herald of Agony
1 link - Grace (Act 3 - Lost in Love - Clarissa)
1 link - Despair (Act 3 - Lost in Love - Clarissa)
1 link - Blood Rage

Level 31
    Deadly Ailments Support
    Unbound Ailments Support
2 link - Dash
    Second Wind Support (Act 3 - A Fixture of Fate - Siosa)
2 link - Steelskin
    Increased Duration Support (Act 3 - A Fixture of Fate - Siosa)
1 link - Withering Step
1 link - Herald of Agony
1 link - Grace
1 link - Despair
1 link - Blood Rage

Level 38
    Greater Multiple Projectiles Support (Act 4 - The Eternal Nightmare - Petarus and Vanja)
    Deadly Ailments Support
    Unbound Ailments Support
2 link - Dash
    Second Wind Support
2 link - Steelskin
    Increased Duration Support
1 link - Withering Step
1 link - Herald of Agony
1 link - Grace
1 link - Despair
1 link - Blood Rage

After you are done with leveling (so after you finish Act 10) switch to Scourge Arrow setup. This will cost also around 14 regrets, but you should get that from quests anyway.

Crafting your own gear

For crafting we will be using either fossils and resonators or Awakener's Orb.

Fossils are a currency introduced in Delve league that can be obtained most commonly from Delve as well. Based on the fossil type, they improve odds of certain mods to be rolled and also add their own special mods.

Awakener's Orb is used for combining 2 item bases together, picking 1 random influenced mod from selected item and transfering it together with influence to second item, while keeping 1 random influenced mod from other item as well. Because of this you need to make sure each of items you are combining has exactly 1 influenced mod (you can easily check if its influenced mod or not by holding ALT and checking if the mod name matches with any of the influence names, for example Shaper's, Hunter's etc).

Mods with * before are important, if you do not hit them, just reroll.

When possible I tried to include links also to craftofexile.com. This site simulates the odds and cost of making the respective items.

Crafting +1 arrow/chaos multiplier quiver

Item base: iLvl 80+ Shaper/Warlord Two-Point Arrow Quiver, iLvl 80+ Hunter Two-Point Arrow Quiver
Materials: Awakener's Orb
Mod priority:
1. * Bow Attacks fire an additional Arrow
2. * +(21–25)% to Chaos Damage over Time Multiplier

Crafting ward helmet
Craft of Exile

Item base: iLvl 84+ Runic Crown (ideally already enchanted with SA enchant)
Materials: Perfect Fossil, Dense Fossil

First use Perfect Fossils to get the helmet to at least 26-28%+ quality, them spam Dense fossils.

Trade links for buying own gear

Frequently asked questions (F.A.Q)

Why am I not doing damage?

This question is asked way too often. So here is list of things you should make sure you have and do:

1. Darkscorn
2. +1 Arrow quiver (think about this modifier as 30% more damage, it beats most other options and its not close)
3. Scourge Arrow helmet enchant
4. Source of Despair on hit
5. Ailment Duration focus mod on Helmet
6. Mana leech (from tree or clusters) and - mana cost crafts. I know this should be obvious, but if you cant sustain your own mana then you cant properly DPS stuff
7. Source of Wither (Withering Touch, Withering Step, Wither totems)
8. Source of +1 curse and Temporal Chains on hit (this is optional but helps a lot so I am including it here)

Why am I dying?

Here is another checklist for you:

1. Do you have proper flask setup. Flasks are #1 thing for Pathfinder, well rolled defensive flasks are super important
2. Are you using Petrified Blood
3. Do you have capped elemental resistance
4. Do you have at least positive chaos resistance (if using Divine Flesh it must be capped)
5. Are you using Guard skill
6. Do you have Blind on hit abyss jewel
7. Do you have Phasing (tree, abyss jewel)

Why is extra arrow so important and how to play with it?

Extra arrow changes how your pods are spread when you shoot. They are spread between all your arrows, so +1 arrow is not adding extra pods. But it significantly improves the overlaps.

When bossing, you want to position your mouse cursor close to your character so you shoot the pods in nice V shape like this:

For comparison this is how it looks with single arrow:

Media

Mapping
T19 Double Beyond 100% Deliriums Malformation Lvl 96
Malformation 100% Delirious Beyond + Nemesis Lvl 96
Beachhead Lvl 84
Phantasmagoria/Cells Lvl 85
Crystal Ore Lvl 88
Esh's Breachstone Lvl 88
Tul's Breachstone Lvl 88
Pit of the Chimera Lvl 88
Glacier Monolith Farming Lvl 90
Vaal Temple Lvl 90
Elder Burial Chambers Lvl 94 (Tornado Shot)
Cage Lvl 72 (Mapping with Plague Bearer)
Lair of the Hydra Lvl 90 (Vicious Projectiles bow + Devoto)
Leyline Lvl 92 (Mapping with Chainbreaker)
Silo Lvl 85 (League start with Petrified Blood)
Burial Chambers Lvl 92 (Petrified Blood + Perma Berserk)

Bossing
Warlord Lvl 80
Redeemer Lvl 82
Hunter Lvl 84
Metamorph Level 80
Atziri Lvl 88
Red Elder Lvl 91
Shaper Lvl 91
Elder Lvl 92
2 way battle Lvl 94 (Tornado Shot)
5 way battle Lvl 93 (with HoAG disabled by accident)
Simulacrum Wave 19-20 Lvl 95
Sirus Lvl 96
The Twisted Lvl 95 (Petrified Blood + Divine Flesh)

Delve
Delve Depth 364 Lvl 94 (Tornado Shot)
Ahuatotli Delve Depth 483 Lvl 95

Misc
Difference between having and not having SA enchant on helmet
Mapping with Lightning Warp + Asenath's Chant
Siege Ballista only clearing
Flask sustain
My builds:
[3.14] Scourge Arrow Poison Prolif Pathfinder - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2551841
[3.14] Indigon CoC Pathfinder - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3125367
Last edited by thedeathbeam on Oct 25, 2021, 7:27:36 PM
Last bumped on Oct 26, 2021, 4:21:00 PM
Small update:

Added info about Soul of Shakari and Darkscorn synergy, as I completely forgot to mention this. Basically, it is also physical damage reduction (at 25% effectiveness, but still).
My builds:
[3.14] Scourge Arrow Poison Prolif Pathfinder - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2551841
[3.14] Indigon CoC Pathfinder - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3125367
Your build seems dope. I'll do it right now and review later.

Thank you for your work :)
Looks good, going to try this out - any levelling guides for 30/60/90 so we know which way to assign passives?
"
PJ1985 wrote:
Looks good, going to try this out - any levelling guides for 30/60/90 so we know which way to assign passives?

I still need to add them, sorry :/ But for now, on tree, try to get all poison chance on hit nodes on tree early, life, evasion and Master Fletcher, those are mostly core part of the build.

If you are lacking evasion for QoTF get avatar of the hunt early, otherwise skip it. If you are getting stunned a lot, either take Brine King, or Unpredictable Offensive, otherwise skip it as well. Avatar of the Hunt and Unpredictable Offensive are weak nodes for this build, they are purely for utility on the final tree, and can be easily skipped.

Oh, also, get the bottom-right mana leech node for sure.

EDIT:

Also, small update. For leveling, I addeed Quill Rain as great option (more info in the leveling section in the guide)

My builds:
Last edited by thedeathbeam on Jun 22, 2019, 6:07:20 AM
"
thedeathbeam wrote:
"
PJ1985 wrote:

I still need to add them, sorry :/ But for now, on tree, try to get all poison chance on hit nodes on tree early, life, evasion and Master Fletcher, those are mostly core part of the build.

If you are lacking evasion for QoTF get avatar of the hunt early, otherwise skip it. If you are getting stunned a lot, either take Brine King, or Unpredictable Offensive, otherwise skip it as well. Avatar of the Hunt and Unpredictable Offensive are weak nodes for this build, they are purely for utility on the final tree, and can be easily skipped.

Oh, also, get the bottom-right mana leech node for sure.

EDIT:

Also, small update. For leveling, I addeed Quill Rain as great option (more info in the leveling section in the guide)

Awesome thanks for the quick response!
1) What about the Legions? Is it good at clearing them? Does poison proliferate off "freed" mobs?

2) Is it any good in Timeless Conflict?

3) Are DMG reflect maps doable? (both ELE and Phys)

Looks really interesting, might give it a try. Receiving these answers might just tip me over the fence, lol. Good job!
"
Rallige wrote:
1) What about the Legions? Is it good at clearing them? Does poison proliferate off "freed" mobs?

2) Is it any good in Timeless Conflict?

3) Are DMG reflect maps doable? (both ELE and Phys)

Looks really interesting, might give it a try. Receiving these answers might just tip me over the fence, lol. Good job!

1. It is decent, SA spread is pretty big, in good areas you can clear the whole monolith. But, for the poison prolif, no, atm it do not works with legion, but GGG mentioned that they will be looking about some ascendancy on kill effects not working with legion (and hopefully this includes Pathfinder)
2. Did not tried the build in 4 or 5 way battle so I dont know yet, but, the damage and clear is pretty good, so I imagine it will not be very bad there (ofc, it cant compete with stuff like TS, as that is on whole another level)
3. Yes, you can do both. Honestly, so far no map mod was an issue for me, I just alch and occasionally corrupt everything without even looking at the mods.
My builds:
Started this build today, feeling decent leveling with Scourge Arrow itself.

I would like to know why Master Alchemist over Nature's Adrenaline? In PoB Nature's Adrenaline seems to give more total damage, and movement speed and attack speed is always welcomed. We are not doing any elemental damage anyway, so the Master Alchemist does not seem all useful beside the immunity.
"
cyruszin wrote:
Started this build today, feeling decent leveling with Scourge Arrow itself.

I would like to know why Master Alchemist over Nature's Adrenaline? In PoB Nature's Adrenaline seems to give more total damage, and movement speed and attack speed is always welcomed. We are not doing any elemental damage anyway, so the Master Alchemist does not seem all useful beside the immunity.

It's solely for immunity, so we can use better flasks.

E.g, when not using Master Alchemist, you will have to give up suffix on either Jade flask or Quicksilver flask, and losing it on either of them means big loss in movement speed, so basically taking Nature's Adrenaline will make you slower in the long run.

But yeah, it is more damage for sure, as that 20% attack speed is very nice. It's mostly personal preference I guess, but I prefer the extra movement speed from Master Alchemist (thanks to better flasks) a lot more.
My builds:

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info