3.7 🐉 Dragon's Breath Chieftain Incinerate -All content-League starter- SC, HC & SSF viable -Videos

3.7 LEGION LEAGUE COMPLETE BUILD GUIDE

BUILD UPDATE 13.6. SEE CHANGE LOG

Hi all and welcome to the Chieftain variant of my Dragon's Breath Elementalist build. With all amazing stuff in 3.7 that came with Chieftain rework I wanted to fill the holes Elementalist has. Even though with higher dps, Elementalist has a issue with phys mitigation and poor sustain which is a problem for some players. That's the time when Beeftain comes to shine.
It is a self-cast semi-crit build. I wanted it to be flexible, very tanky, all content capable and most important, to be fun to play.
Since everyone is going to go with melee builds you go with Incinerate Chieftain and sell them all the attack based items they will be fighting over on trade while you are rolling with a blue wand. xD

Check out my new 3.7 build Torstein's Oni-Goroshi Slayer - Cyclone/BFlurry
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2554593

Please read full guide before starting the build.
For any feedback, questions or help with the build, leave a comment on this thread.
Wish you many fun hours in Legion league!

TorsteinTheFallen

Change log 13.6.
Spoiler

added Essence crafting for rings
added div cards for the staff crafting base
12.6. Enlighten lvl 3 no longer required, level 2 is enough
11.6HC stun immune build version added Enfeeble on hit
added HC Flesh & Stone build version
added Flesh and Stone gem (use Sand Stance) for SC
removed Aspect of the Spider for SC
added Vaal Detonate Dead to pop some Legions, Incursions...
1 point tree adjustment for Dex node

Build summary
Spoiler

Build is complete at level 93, going for more is just a bonus.
+very high damage, over 3 million Shaper dps/~2.5 million HC
+sh*tload of life, up to 10k at level 100
+tanky
+very high sustain, up to 2k+/s life regen & 2.7k/s life leech
+fast mapping with big AOE
+easy (4) Endurance charge generation and good phys damage mitigation
+25% Chaos damage resistance
+Flesh & Stone aura
+mana independent for Incinerate casting
+all content
For HC on top of this:
+76% elemental resistance
+Cannot be Stunned or Flash & Stone
+Enfeeble

-can't do elemental reflect maps

Incinerate & and build mechanics
Spoiler
Incinerate gains more damage when cast continuously from one spot, up to a maximum of 200% more damage (25% per stage up to 8 stages maximum, or 10 if you use the helmet enchantment). The next stage is reached after every tick (0.2s). At each stage, the flames become visibly larger and will spread out in a huge cone. Since the spell is a channeling spell, if the player is stunned or interrupted in any way while casting incinerate, the spell will come back to stage 1.
At the end of the channeling (Final Wave), Incinerate deals big chunk of extra damage, 500% MORE damage with Hits and 500% MORE damage with Ignite. That’s a lot of extra damage.

To get the maximum dps out of Incinerate you should channel to 8 stages and release. Final wave deals massive damage. If you played Blade Flurry, this is the same principle.
Monster mobs die fast so maximum channeling is not needed. The area will still be very good.

You will be scaling as much cast speed as you can to channel as fast as possible to 8 stages and bigger area of Incinerate (10 with enchant). Cast speed to aim is minimum 13 casts/sec and the more you have the better.

Orb of Storms is being solely to faster proc Elemental Overload on single target.

Flesh & Blood -Nearby Enemies are Blinded while in Sand Stance
You take (10-11)% LESS Damage from Enemies that aren't nearby while in Sand Stance

Vaal Detonate Dead -Vaal Detonate Dead is a vaal cast that explodes a corpse and all other nearby corpses in a chain reaction, dealing fire secondary damage.

Leveling guide
Spoiler

Pay attention to this:

Monster Changes in 3.7.
• Magic monsters now have 50% more life at level 1, up to 75% more life at level 68 and above.
• Rare monsters now have 33% more life at level 1, up to 100% more life at level 68 and above. They now grant 54% more experience.
• Tormented Spirits are now more likely to appear near a rare or unique monster than not.
• Monsters which can block attacks and spells now say so beneath their nameplate. Such monsters do not block all damage when they block.
Leveling now in Legion league will be harder than before I assume.

Lets start,
when you kill Hillock go to the vendor and search for “movement” to see if he has movement speed boots and buy them if he has. Since you will be Marauder class you will not have access to the caster gems at the start so you will start to level as a dual wield melee character with Holy Flame totem. For melee skill pick Cleve/Ground Slam/Molten Strike. Link it with Chance to Bleed and Added Fire Damage. If you don't some get some of those as a reward you can buy them from vendor.

At level 4 when you finish quest "Breaking Some Eggs" buy from Nessa Holy Flame Totem and continue with totem + melee skill of choice. Totem links are Holy Flame totem - Added fire damage - Combustion. When you finish Act 3 quest "A Fixture of Fate" you will have access to all gems from Siosa.

When you finish those early quests:

Breaking Some Eggs
Act 1 buy Holy Flame totem
The Caged Brute
Act 1 buy Leap Slam. Added Fire damage & Combustion gems you should link to Holy Flame Totem

3L melee skill - Added Fire damage - Chance to Bleed
3L Holy Flame Totem - Added Fire damage - Combustion

Intruders in Black
Act 2 take Herald of Ash

The Great White Beast
Act 2 take 2nd Quicksilver flask

The Ribbon Spool
Act 3 from Diala take Lapis amulet

A Fixture of Fate
Act 3
this is the important quest because after finishing it you can buy all gems you want from Siosa.

Buy from Siosa Incinerate, Faster Casting and Infused Channeling gems and put them into secondary weapon slot. Also buy Blasphemy + Flammability, Faster Attacks + Shield Charge, Decoy Totem and Flame Dash.
Before fighting Dominus, final boss of act 3, located in The Upper Sceptre of God, on the Tower Rooftop, switch to 4L Incinerate setup.

4L Incinerate - Faster Casting - Combustion - Infused Channeling
If you don't have 4L blue socketed item do this:
Buy 3L scepter and a ruby ring from vendors. If the scepter is not magic, make it magic with Transmutation orb.
Now sell to vendor magic 3L scepter, ruby ring and 1 Alteration orb. He will give you back +1 to socketed Fire gems wand/scepter.

Tip: If you are in a trade league buy Incinerate gem on trade or ask some Witch in town to buy it for you. Put it in 2nd weapon slot and level the gem while you progress. /Even better would be to buy all 4 gems and switch to Incinerate at ~lvl 20/ Start using Incinerate when you finish Fixture of Faith. That way your gem will be at level 5 when you get before Dominus and fight will be a joke.
If you are not in a trade league continue leveling with Holy Flame totem until Incinerate is level 3. Kill Dominus when Incinerate reaches lvl 3.

Great! You are now ready to go, and start using only Incinerate.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Later on can farm Humility cards at Blood Aqueduct at Act 9 to get Tabula Rasa.

For weapons you can use any rare crap scepter with some cast speed/spell damage/fire damage/added fire damage/elemental damage will be ok.

From now you are all Gucci. Leveling with Incinerate will be a breeze as you put few levels into the gem (if you haven't leveled it) since you have started using it later than a witch would.

Finish normal lab when you switch to Incinerate.

As you progress to 6L go in this order
Incinerate – Faster Casting – Combustion – Infused Channeling – Controlled Destruction – Conc. Effect/Increased Area of Effect

Also from the moment you start using Incinerate follow the gem links in PoB for League Starter!

Usefull leveling items:
Tabula Rasa
Lifesprig
Wanderlust
Goldrim
Praxis very good
Meginord's Girdle
Le Heup Of All
Lochtonial Caress
Ngamahu's Sign

Path of Building for 3.7 softcore ⭐League Starter⭐ & Full Build
Spoiler

-League starter
https://pastebin.com/Zwezk4MA
In the bottom left area of PoB is the menu with point by point distribution!!!

This is an example for a league start with leveling passive tree menu. As you progress you can transition item by item to the full build.

-Full build with tree development while leveling.
https://pastebin.com/D2v4mZ9t

-Path of Building download site
https://github.com/Openarl/PathOfBuilding/releases

Path Of Building for 3.7 HC League Starter & Full Build
Spoiler

League starter HC
https://pastebin.com/K0af7uFg

Full Build HC stun immune + Spider Aspect
https://pastebin.com/r98RqFLc

Full Build Flash & Stone version HC
https://pastebin.com/BwgMhfXr

Videos📽️
Spoiler
Shaper demo
I even forgot to use Vaal Righteous Fire, so, yeah... 29% less dps in the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xl9ygbV1FQ&feature=youtu.be

T16 Minotaur run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrUFonSuup8

I will add Uber Elder run sometime later, currently wanna play Legion :)

General item discussion for full build
Spoiler

---don't pay attention to gems sloted in items here---
Chieftain is pretty flexible ascendancy with life leech from fire, 100% free fire resistance, easy Endurance charge generation...
All items that are necessary for this build can be target farmed like Kaom's Heart or self crafted.
I would like to make a quick overview of items that I recommend using in this build without going insane with gg items. This will be just examples of gear.
Detailed overview you can see in Path of Building and I suggest following PoB when you start the build.

Lets start from the staff. This is the best bang for your money crafted staff. Whole cost for staff + crafting like this or similar is 3-4ex.

-How to craft it
Crafting base: any 6L casting base staff (not War staff) with min. item level 55
You can also get the crafting base form the "The Dark Mage" divination cards. You can buy cards or farm them in the following areas:

*Overgrown Ruin
*The Chamber of Sins Level 2

1.Use Scouring orb and use Transmutation orb to make item Magic
2.Spam Alteration orbs until you get +2 to socketed Fire gems prefix mod
3.Use Regal orb to make item Rare
4.Now you should have just +2 to socketed Fire gems mod and another mod that Regal added. Use Annulment orb to remove 1 random mod. There are 50% chances to be left with just +2 mod.
If you were unlucky and got +2 mod removed, repeat the whole process from point 1.

5.If the item is Rare (yellow) and only have +2 to socketed Fire gems mod, craft suffix "Can have Multiple Crafted Modifiers" on bench. It costs 2 Exalted orbs.
6.Further craft on bench
prefix (hybrid) (59–66)% increased Spell Damage & Gain (5–6)% of Non-Chaos Damage as extra Chaos Damage ---4 Chaos Orbs
prefix Adds (41–55) to (83–96) Fire Damage to Spells ---4 Chaos Orbs
suffix (26–30)% chance to deal Double Damage while Focussed ---1 Divine Orb
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the last suffix choose one of those 2 mods. Hybrid mode with arcane surge is a better overall option and a lot cheaper.
suffix (21-28)% increased Cast speed ---1 Exalted Orb
OR
suffix (16-19)% increased Cast Speed
10% chance to gain Arcane Surge when you Kill an Enemy ---4 Chaos Orbs

If you don't have some crafting recipes look on forum for crafting service threads.
I can vouch for these guys
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2490064
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2037371
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2469110

Next, Kaom's Heart

Not much to say about this one, +500 to maximum life speaks for itself.

Rings

You want 2 Opal rings (min item level 80) like this one. They are craftable with
which gives you guaranteed (27-30 increased fire damage). Screaming Essence of Anger can also be used that is even cheaper. You just need to hit life and res with it. They are also craftable with prestine, prismatic fossils and potent chaotic resonator. Essence crafting tends to be much cheaper than fossil crafting since these essences are ~2c.

Pay attention to have free prefix so you can craft - to total Mana cost of skills. You only need tier 2 with values -(7-6). -9 is too much and cost too much, -(7-6) is perfectly fine. Craft those on both rings so you can reduce mana consumption by Incinerate to 0, so you don't need mana leech! This is important.
If you don't have currency/fossils to craft Opal rings like this one, just use any rings with life, resistance and craft - mana mod.

Amulet

Shaped amulet with elemental penetration, cast speed/spell damage/fire damage, some life, some res.
OR
Elder amulet with "Gain #% of Non-Chaos Damage as extra Chaos Damage", cast speed/spell damage/fire damage, some life, some res.

Anything else is not important.
I bought this amulet without aspect and later beastcrafted it.

Belt

Preferably Stygian Vise belt with high total life roll. Belt slot is the best to get strength attribute and resistances. Anything else is bonus. If you can't afford Stygian, go for the Heavy or Leather belt with high life roll.

Helmet

Buy high ilvl helmet base that already has enchant, and fossil craft (pristine and scorched fossils) it further for high life, fire res and -9% fire res to nearby enemies.

Boots

Rare boots with high life roll and chaos resistance are the best choice for me.

For Uber Elder you can use Kaom's Roots, preferably corrupted with movement speed.

Gloves

Shaped gloves with cast speed and life are priority
Jewels

-Getting cast speed and life is a priority!

Search for combination of these explicit mods:
-increased Cast Speed while wielding a Staff
-increased Cast Speed with Fire Skills
-increased Attack and Cast Speed
-increased Cast Speed
-increased maximum Life

Watcher's Eye with Damage Penetrates % Fire Resistance while affected by Anger is a nice bonus but not mandatory!

Flasks

Suffixes that you must have:
-of Staunching (Bleeding immunity)
-of Heat (Freeze and chill immunity)
-of Warding (Curse immunity)

For life recovery you have two choices Blood of the Karui or even better if you get chaos resistance on boots Forbidden Taste.
Both are good choices and your "i fu*ked up" buttons :D

Do not put quality on either Blood of the Karui or Forbidden Taste flasks!!!

Aspect of the spider (HC stun immune build only)
Should be on either amulet or a ring. You can buy jewelry with or without it and beastcraft aspect as long the item has free suffix. Beastcraft with this

Don't use Aspect of the Spider before you craft on rings -(7-6) to Total Mana cost of skills

Item progression to the full build
Spoiler
Some players need help for itemization during the leveling period and how to transition to the full build. Ill try as simple as I can to explain it here. I will not go into item details here, I just want to make some guidelines in which order to upgrade your gear.

During the leveling period with starter, basically any rare scepter with some cast speed + spell damage/fire damage/added fire damage to spells/elemental damage will work and do the job. Higher the rolls on the scepter the better.
When you kill Kitava at Act 10 and get to the maps, your character should be equipped like in the starter Path of Building. With Tabula you can level whole way to the T10 maps and farm currency.

Now we are going to make a transition to the full build items.
First on the list for upgrade is the staff. Instruction how to make one are in the Items discussion part.

2. Kaom’s Heart

3. Rings

4.Proper gloves, helmet, boots, amulet.

5.Jewels
My builds:
Torstein's Oni-Goroshi Slayer /view-thread/2554593
Dragon's Breath Elementalist view-thread/2318921
Dragon's Breath Chieftain view-thread/2506867
We are living in the RNG world, or are we...?
Last edited by TorsteinTheFallen on Jun 24, 2019, 5:39:14 AM
Last bumped on Jun 25, 2019, 6:01:31 AM
Ascendancy
Spoiler

Chieftan

1.Tasalio, Cleansing Water
+100% to fire resistance
2% of life regenerated per second
10% of physical damage from hits taken as fire damage
50% increased life recovery rate if you've taken fire damage from and enemy hit recently

2.--Ramako, Sun's Light
Damage penetrates 15% Fire resistance
15% more burning damage
25% chance to ignite

3.--Hinekora, Death's Fury
1% of Fire damage leeched as life
20% chance to cover Rare or Unique Enemies in Ash for 10 seconds on hit
10% increased Strength

4.Tawhoa, Forest's Strength
35% chance to gain and endurance charge when you use a fire skill
5% increased fire damage per endurance charge
5% increased physical damage per endurance charge
1% maximum life regenerated per second
30% increased endurance charge duration

Enchants
Spoiler
Helmet:
Depending on your cast speed. 13 casts/sec is a minimum i would recommend for "Incinerate has +2 stages". If you have less "80% increased Incinerate damage" is a better option.

Boots:
for damage "damage penetrates 10% elemental resistances"
for tankyness "regenerate 2% of life and mana if you been hit recently"

Pantheons
Spoiler
should be fully upgraded

Major- “Soul of Lunaris”
Minor- “Soul of Tukohama”

For Uber Elder
Major- “Soul of Arakaali”
Minor- “Soul of Yugul”

Bandits
Spoiler
Kill all.

Useful links
Spoiler
Introduction to fossil crafting
https://youtu.be/Dk3iCZ9p1lE

All information about item mods and core game
https://poedb.tw/us/

Path of Exile Wikipedia
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Path_of_Exile_Wiki

My other builds
Spoiler
Torstein's Oni-Goroshi Slayer
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2554593

Dragon's Breath Elementalist
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2318921
My builds:
Last edited by TorsteinTheFallen on Jun 22, 2019, 8:01:51 PM
Nice was waiting for this!! Prob will be my starter, we can follow the same lvling as the elementalist thread?

"
marquesini wrote:
Nice was waiting for this!! Prob will be my starter, we can follow the same lvling as the elementalist thread?

Nope, leveling for Chieftain will be little different because you can't buy strait away caster gems. Ill add the leveling section prob during the day.
Also i will update Elementalist, so you can chose what suits your needs more. :)
My builds:
Interesting. I made a CwC Incinerate/VD Trickster build last league. This build looks like it could be a lot of fun as well.
Last edited by diablomix on Jun 5, 2019, 11:26:46 AM
Can you update tree to 3.7 in PoB? Singular focus node seems worth it, no?
"
schellinky wrote:
Can you update tree to 3.7 in PoB? Singular focus node seems worth it, no?

Sure, i just finished PoB. Will be updated in few mins.
Whole guide will be done by morning i hope or during the day. :)
My builds:
Last edited by TorsteinTheFallen on Jun 5, 2019, 10:17:50 PM
Did you have any mana issues now that WM is dead to spell casters?

If not I am guessing I would probably have issues if I tried a CwC staff with Incinerate/Volatile Dead.

Other than the boot enchant im still looking to see what other viable mana options there are out there. Clarity I suppose for early game, maybe a watcher's eye. Not sure.
Last edited by diablomix on Jun 5, 2019, 8:17:10 PM
"
diablomix wrote:
Did you have any mana issues now that WM is dead to spell casters?

If not I am guessing I would probably have issues if I tried a CwC staff with Incinerate/Volatile Dead.

Other than the boot enchant im still looking to see what other viable mana options there are out there. Clarity I suppose for early game, maybe a watcher's eye. Not sure.

I bypassed mana issue with 2x crafted mods "- to Total Mana cost of Skills" on rings/amulet and some mana cost reduction on the passive tree.
My Incinerate uses 0 mana.
My builds:
Last edited by TorsteinTheFallen on Jun 5, 2019, 8:22:48 PM
Hey Thorstein. I am rather interested in the build as a starter but I am wondering how you think this will compare to your elementalist version in terms of map speed. My concern is that in the elementalist version videos with proliferation the clear speed is ok but without proliferation, will it significantly impact clear?

Also, how early do you think you can kill Uber elder with this build,,?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info