[3.6] Whizzy's Bow Blade Vortex Chieftain [9k+ HP & 10mil+ Shaper DPS]

Blade Vortex nerf has largely been offset by Intensify and Circle of Anguish and the new implicit has significantly increased clear speed (we scale the 5% explosion to ~100%).

Overview

Chieftain has insane scaling for fire damage and works extremely well with blade vortex. This build has the highest 1st month BV dps in Syntesis by a long shot and can easily clear all content. I do think crit would beat it long term with much better gear.

Pros:
Extremely high damage
Significant clear speed buff from new bow implicit
Phase run up almost all the time

Cons:
Requires a mana flask
Have to stand close to enemies
Highly recommend the mana leech enchant on boots

Bandits:
Kill all

Pantheon:
Major - Arakaali
Minor - Shakari
These are not set in stone, Arakaali is only for the Immortal Call/Blood Rage interaction for 50% increased health recovery

Gems:

Bow:
[G] Blade Vortex
[R] Empower
[B] Intensify
[B] Concentrated Effect
[B] Elemental Focus
[B] Controlled Destruction

Gloves:
[B] Armageddon Brand [only used on bosses, cast four times for arcane surge]
[B] Combustion
[B] Arcane Surge
Faster Castiing (shaper gloves)

[B] Flame Dash [don't link to combustion and arcane surge]
Faster Castiing (shaper gloves)

Helm or Boots: [+1 level of socketed gems craft in helm would be good for herald and zealotry but then you can't get all three life prefixes. Both gems gain 1% more damage at lvl 21.]
[G] Enhance
[R] Herald of Ash
[G] Phase Run
[B] Elemental Weakness (flamability if you aren't using enhance)

[B] Zealotry
[R] Cast When Damage Taken
[G] Blood Rage
[R] Immortal Call

If I had more sockets, I would use Wave of Conviction in CWDT.

As mentioned by TyroneSwaggins in the comments, CWDT, immortal call, increased duration, and phase run where phase run is higher level than CWDT (so it can be cast manually) can be useful for permanent phase run and longer immortal calls.

If you prefer to autocast your curse, you can put it in CWDT. Make sure not to link Zealotry and Enhance. You can also replace Blood Rage with a lightning golem since it's only here for the Arakaali pantheon - Queen of the Great Tangle interaction which can be messed up by the forbidden taste flask.

For Delving I recommend Blasphemy instead of Zealotry.

Super Budget League Starter

Super Budget Path of Building Pastebin (<100c & over 1mil dps)
https://pastebin.com/H2uFrezR

I wanted to play a budget build in Delve that could clear all content and this is what I ended up with. A full fire conversion Blade Vortex (BV) which uses Signal Fire instead of Avatar of Fire. The maximum damage output with this build is not as high as dual stat sticks but for <100c (way less than the cost of one six link chest) I believe the dps is much better (easily over 1mil).

Base Setup Costs: (Note these prices are from 2 weeks into the league)

6L Short Bow* - 50c (or farm "The Porcupine")
Deafening Essence of Woe - 6c (vendor 3 "shrieking essence of woe")
Aetheric + Scorched Fossils - 5c (alternative to essence during delve league but may take a few tries to get 20% more spell damage and damage penetrates fire resistance)
Signal Fire w/ 30%+ extra phys as fire - 3c
Amulet w/ 16%+ extra phys as fire - 5c

Total: <65c

All other items just look for:
- life
- resistance
- strength (for life)
- dexterity (since BV is a dex gem and we don't have much dex on our tree)

For jewels look for:
- % Maximum life (expensive)
- % spell damage (does not affect your explosions)
- % area damage
- % damage
- % global physical damage
- resistance (only if needed)
- dexterity (only if needed)

With the above items, you will have 1mil dps

*When crafting this short bow, first alt until you get the suffix "Worthy" before chroming for the colors. It could take ~300 chromatic orbs to get RGBBBB. It took me 350 chromes on my first bow and 15 chromes on the second. I would either use single chroms or craft 1 blue socket.

Passive Trees

While leveling I usually go straight up from Maurader to the Templar area and respec later. Make a beeline to elemental overload then get the rest in this tree. After this I like to get the duration nodes by Scion.
https://pastebin.com/hgBMZmhC

If you ever have issues with being stunned, we're only 4 nodes from Unwavering Stance

lvl 90:
https://pastebin.com/H885uDbP

lvl 95:
https://pastebin.com/UcdkUetF

lvl 100:
https://pastebin.com/JX1H0QYy

Gear

On every piece of gear, focus on life, strength (for more life), and dexterity (gloves, boots, and amulet).

Bow: I plan to use the +1 bow as a weapon swap for bosses, its mocked up in PoB. See crafting section if you have questions.

Quiver: The corruption is not necessary but is a decent cheap boost in dps

Helm: Purchased with enchant, crafted with Pristine + Scorched Fossils

Chest: Kaom's Heart - ideally higher fire damage

Gloves: Shaper w/ Faster Casting (needs high dex)

Boots: 30% move speed (needs high dex) highly recommend the leech implicit

Rings: Check your own PoB to determine breakpoints for %buff effect

Amulet: Aim for high life with 16%+ extra fire (needs high dex...)

Belt: Aim for high life (and strength) - damage mods are from Scorched + Prismatic Fossils + Pristine for life

Flasks: I swap out for warding on curse maps

Jewels:
7 jewel slots in tree and 1 in belt. Without Might of the Meek you would still have 8.5k+ hp. A corrupting blood jewel can help since we aren't using a staunching flask. I swap out my belt jewel for onslaught when mapping.

Leveling Guide?

This is less a "guide" and more my journey through ssf. A leveling section was requested so I just copied my SSF character's equipment here as I leveled. A lot of these choices probably weren't optimized but were what I had available to me. You'd be better off sticking with another skill until end game probably.

Overall takeaways:
- Blood Magic will solve all mana issues but comes at a cost of a ~40% more damage multiplier
- Wave of conviction debuff is pretty good on cwdt

lvl 1-17: any skill you want, picking up added fire herald of purity, and herald of ash from quests
lvl 18: equip "hrimsorrow" and two "the princess" and in a "tabula rasa" blade vortex - concentrated effect - controlled destruction - elemental focus - arcane surge - added fire
lvl 24: hatred (level up zealotry) and temporarily remove herald of ash
lvl 23: elemental overload and first labyrinth
lvl 26: avatar of fire and malachai's artifice with herald of purity (remove ash for now) and first labyrinth
Note: I do not use avatar of fire in my final tree. I only use it while leveling for its interaction with hatred causing my herald of purity to apply -50% fire res through elemental equilibrium.
SSF @lvl 26 for labyrinth
https://pastebin.com/T24MBKgM

lvl 28: armageddon brand + combustion
lvl 31: intensify and unleash replace arcane surge and added fire. link arcane surge to flame dash and faster casting. herald of ash and blasphemy + flammability replaces hatred. Need a minion abyss jewel that adds cold or lightning damage to minion attacks.
lvl 38: immortal call + cwdt
SSF @lvl 40
Only using the shield because of the abyss jewels I had lying around. For skill tree, I went down to "Potency of Will" then started making my way over to the "Divine" cluster.

SSF @lvl 48 Cruel Labyrinth right before act 5 Kitava
I only went for lab this early because I don't have the gear to cover resists right after kitava.

SSF @lvl 60 Merciless Labyrinth
With so much damage, it was easier to level with blood magic and reserve all my mana. I haven't been able to synthesize a enemies explode implicit weapon so I'm temporarily using the shaper mace. The mace is NOT great since it only triggers off of attacks and spells unlike the implicit which can chain with itself and scales better as physical damage converted to fire. I will be blessing the gloves and crafting conversion once I unlock the veiled mod and removing avatar of fire.

SSF @lvl 67 Uber Labyrinth right before act 10 Kitava
No major changes, just using an onslaught on kill abyss jewel to go faster. At this point I had both duration clusters by scion.

SSF @lvl 89 Deathless Shaper
Found the prophecy for the axe (never seen signal fire prophecy in ssf) so I'm using that for now. This allows us to use vigilant strike for fortify which is a pretty awesome boost in defense since I only have 6.5k life. I replaced blood magic for intensify and I can sustain 10 stacks without using my mana flask. Still using one for no regen maps and general ease of spamming flame dash and phase run.
Unavailable

SSF @lvl 90 Update
Finally crafted an explosion weapon! Much better than what I had previously just because of clear speed. Probably won't be lvling much more.

Remaining Goals:
- Find conversion craft for gloves so I can drop Avatar of fire and use Atziri's Promise
- Craft helm with Pristine + Scorched
- Craft sceptre with Scorched + some mix of Pristine, Prismatic, and Bound (Spiritual Aid since generic damage scales explosions).
- Rings with fractured T1 dex or T1 life to use essences of hysteria for 10% phys gained as extra fire.
- Move Zealotry and HoA to helm with crafted +1 AoE gems since they're much better at lvl 21.
- Re-evaluate 6th gem link once I have -19% fire res penetration from helm and weapon and 10% gained as extra on rings. Most likely going to be Combustion (still need Armageddon brand since BV has elemental focus and cannot ignite)
- Reach 7k Life (6750 currently)

Crafting

For implicit mods, look for bows with <159 dex (lvl 21 BV) so you don't need too much dex.

Implicit crafting: Below are the most guaranteed ways but you can also try to get lucky by using bows with more mods.

Killed Enemies Explode:

Explosions comes from three items with 15% increased light radius. Technically you only need 40% total but that introduces an accuracy mod in the pool of possibilities so I would avoid 10% increased light radius bows.

1) Buy three bows with 15% increased light radius as the only fractured mod.
https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Synthesis/KoOg2PI5
2) Scour and Regal
3) If the new affix isn't life/mana gained on kill, annul (annul will keep the item rare)

Synthesizing these three bows will have a 50% chance of getting the explosion mod

+1 to Level of Socketed Gems:
Same thing as explosions except you need +1 to level of socketed gems as the only fractured mod and theres a 100% chance to get the implicit.
https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Synthesis/vYLzkzcE

Finish coloring your bow with the jeweler method while it has the suffix "of the apt". I personally then spammed perfect fossils for 26%+ quality then crafted +18% quality and spammed fuses for 6L before moving on to crafting explicit mods.

Explicit mods: I have bad luck so I went with the low variance option

Low variance: (4ex + annuls and aetherics)
1) Spam aetheric fossils until you get one with just 20% more and 3 suffix
2) Annul so that you have 20% more and 2 suffix (repeat steps 1-2 if you lose the prefix)
3) Craft "Cannot roll attack mods" then exalt
4) Craft "Prefixes cannot be changed" then scour

High variance: (2ex + annuls and LOTS of fossils)
1) Spam aetheric, corroded, metallic, and prismatic fossils until you get +1 to level of socketed gems and 20% more as the ONLY prefixes
2) If you have 3 suffixes, annul (repeat steps 1-2 if you lose a prefix)
3) Craft "Prefixes cannot be changed" then scour

At this point you can craft "can have multiple crafted modifiers" and craft the other mods.
Last edited by themathwhiz on Apr 15, 2019, 12:52:30 PM
Last bumped on May 30, 2019, 3:34:25 AM
Some items in this post are currently unavailable.
Reserved
This is a really interesting take on BV, and sounds strong as hell!
600 chromatics down so far still not hit the colours
"
600 chromatics down so far still not hit the colours

On a 6L "short bow of the worthy" and using single chroms? Thats unlucky =/ I believe average is around 350.

If you can't afford to finish, I would stop at either RGBBBB or RRGBBB and use added fire or fire penetration depending on your own pob.
Last edited by themathwhiz on Apr 1, 2019, 10:22:15 PM
So, just to be clear on +1 gems bow crafting:

I get 3 bows with the singular only fractured mod being +1 gems.
I then scour them to white.
I then synthesize all 3?

That's it?
"

So, just to be clear on +1 gems bow crafting:

I get 3 bows with the singular only fractured mod being +1 gems.
I then scour them to white.
I then synthesize all 3?

That's it?

You would need to regal and annul first to make it rare.
Recently made the swap to this. Have some questions.
my Chieftains only lvl 80, so obviously he's missing some jewels. Currently sitting at 7.5k life, but also running Headhunter (dex and i have it so yeah). I am also missing both rings which I know are HUGE. However, I find myself getting obliterated by projectile attacks, mainly Uber elder. Getting hit by 1 overkills me so Immortal call doesn't even proc, how do you mitigate this? Obviously I dodge most of them but when one does hit me its basically GG. I was considering dropping zealotry for purity of ice, which would give me about 20% less damage on his ice spears, our dps is still insane. THoughts?

current Gear

also, what are your thought's on converting this to a totem BV? We can get 3.2m DPS per totem with 7.6k life
Last edited by zazey on Apr 2, 2019, 7:49:24 PM
"
Recently made the swap to this. Have some questions.
my Chieftains only lvl 80, so obviously he's missing some jewels. Currently sitting at 7.5k life, but also running Headhunter (dex and i have it so yeah). I am also missing both rings which I know are HUGE. However, I find myself getting obliterated by projectile attacks, mainly Uber elder. Getting hit by 1 overkills me so Immortal call doesn't even proc, how do you mitigate this? Obviously I dodge most of them but when one does hit me its basically GG. I was considering dropping zealotry for purity of ice, which would give me about 20% less damage on his ice spears, our dps is still insane. THoughts?

Purity of ice makes sense for uber elder, I would also recommend a high life + %life rare chest and kaom's roots for the fight. As for gear, I highly recommend faster casting on gloves and unlinking flame dash from everything else. I would divine the Kaom's and craft %damage instead of ele with attacks on the two stone ring. It should also be fairly cheap to get a 16%+ gain as extra amulet.

I personally wouldn't like the playstyle of totems just because it takes so long to ramp up the bv stacks and we can walk around the map with just 1 stack and kill everything with explosions. It could be good on bosses that don't move, but otherwise I would stick with self cast.
which zealotry watchers eye would be most benefical for this build?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info