[3.12 Video Guide] Vortex Cold Snap DoT [HC/SC/Uber Elder/Shaper viable]

"
Ghazzy wrote:
Hey,

You don't have any source of added flat cold dmg to spells which means your storm brand & orb of storms will consistently apply Lightning EE making the enemies take more cold damage. It should work and should be significantly more dmg than without it.

If you don't like to go through your gear to verify you've got 2 options to doublecheck:
1) Check Orb of Storms & Storm Brand tooltip in-game if they have any cold damage added to them
2) Check via PoB calculation page on both storm brand & orb of storms if the abilities are dealing any cold damage

As long as they don't do any sort of cold damage your EE will work as intended.

Nope, any source of flat cold damage.
I think the problem is frost bomb. When I cast vortex or cold snap it cast also one of the three socketed gems so when it cast storm brand in the first cast or orb of storms in the third cast, I see it working as intended (monster tooltip with lightning resistance and cold weakness) but in the second cast, when it cast frost bomb, I see cold resistance in the tooltip and other weakness(sometimes fire, sometimes lightning and sometime chaos).

Why fire and chaos? Maybe fire is because flame dash?

Thanks for your help Ghazzy, I'm enjoying this build a lot.
Last edited by Vukovik on Feb 4, 2020, 9:22:31 AM
"
"
Ghazzy wrote:
Hey,

You don't have any source of added flat cold dmg to spells which means your storm brand & orb of storms will consistently apply Lightning EE making the enemies take more cold damage. It should work and should be significantly more dmg than without it.

If you don't like to go through your gear to verify you've got 2 options to doublecheck:
1) Check Orb of Storms & Storm Brand tooltip in-game if they have any cold damage added to them
2) Check via PoB calculation page on both storm brand & orb of storms if the abilities are dealing any cold damage

As long as they don't do any sort of cold damage your EE will work as intended.

Nope, any source of flat cold damage.
I think the problem is frost bomb. When I cast vortex or cold snap it cast also one of the three socketed gems so when it cast storm brand in the first cast or orb of storms in the third cast, I see it working as intended (monster tooltip with lightning resistance and cold weakness) but in the second cast, when it cast frost bomb, I see cold resistance in the tooltip and other weakness(sometimes fire, sometimes lightning and sometime chaos).

Why fire and chaos? Maybe fire is because flame dash?

Thanks for your help Ghazzy, I'm enjoying this build a lot.

Malediction will give you non-chaos damage as added chaos, and there may be another source on the tree. Flame Dash for fire makes sense.

You're correct that Frost Bomb applies increased cold resistance, but Storm Brand and Orb of Storms hit frequently so the duration of that increased cold resistance is very short. Once they hit, your DoT effect is benefiting from the monster's -cold resistance; the amount of damage you gain from Cold Exposure is more than the amount lost to the short duration of increased cold resistance Frost Bomb applies.
"
No PoB Link???

yeah seems we do need new PB link to current best setup
well fck it, I built one out of sheer boredom with OP necro and (fun) cyclone impale champ, since it's bloody cold here, I wanted a cod build :-)

SO, leveling SUCKED with witch as usual, bu I still it my target of red maps in 2 days (semi-twink, used mostly found items until ~60)

Finally figured out (most) of the nuances of LL with Shav's (never did it before).

Few issues:

1) NO idea how you guys manage resists; it's been BIG challenge but sitting decent (finally); to get better gear, I have to give up resists which won't happen. I see one dude used Purity of Elements, not a bad idea if it comes down to it.

2) even with Prism guard, you can't run mal, det, zeal at same time, 'not enough life' >> well, of course since we use all ES nodes or transform them! What's the secret?

3) mana seems more of an issue that I expected, using level 1 clarity to keep it up (I can use THIS in prism guard due to low reserve)

4) single target without vaal cold snap is laughable, it takes 3-4x longer to kill metas and I haven't even thought about Sirus A8, pretty disappointing

I guess those are observations so far, I have another ~10 levels/points so hitting every DPS node is the plan I guess, I have pretty good gear, I'd appreciate a look to see if I'm missing something since it's my first time running this build

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/d3viant6/characters/DevFrost
https://pastebin.com/Q46PEtLY

Last edited by d3viant6 on Feb 17, 2020, 6:24:39 AM
Def plan on League starting this build unless they really nerf it in some way.
Last edited by NLe on Feb 17, 2020, 1:06:04 PM
"
d3viant6 wrote:
well fck it, I built one out of sheer boredom with OP necro and (fun) cyclone impale champ, since it's bloody cold here, I wanted a cod build :-)

SO, leveling SUCKED with witch as usual, bu I still it my target of red maps in 2 days (semi-twink, used mostly found items until ~60)

Finally figured out (most) of the nuances of LL with Shav's (never did it before).

Few issues:

1) NO idea how you guys manage resists; it's been BIG challenge but sitting decent (finally); to get better gear, I have to give up resists which won't happen. I see one dude used Purity of Elements, not a bad idea if it comes down to it.

2) even with Prism guard, you can't run mal, det, zeal at same time, 'not enough life' >> well, of course since we use all ES nodes or transform them! What's the secret?

3) mana seems more of an issue that I expected, using level 1 clarity to keep it up (I can use THIS in prism guard due to low reserve)

4) single target without vaal cold snap is laughable, it takes 3-4x longer to kill metas and I haven't even thought about Sirus A8, pretty disappointing

I guess those are observations so far, I have another ~10 levels/points so hitting every DPS node is the plan I guess, I have pretty good gear, I'd appreciate a look to see if I'm missing something since it's my first time running this build

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/d3viant6/characters/DevFrost
https://pastebin.com/Q46PEtLY

I seen your gear, you have flat cold damage to spells on your wand that will destroy elemental equilibrium so your single target damage is lower hehe.

"
I seen your gear, you have flat cold damage to spells on your wand that will destroy elemental equilibrium so your single target damage is lower hehe.

yep, figured it out last night :-) I don't do a lot of EE builds. After fixing that, ST is now OK, still only 82 so I got some DPS nodes to pickup so should be OK from now > 95
Will the video guide come back?
Would like to play this build in 3.10...
"
Viraloves wrote:
Will the video guide come back?
Would like to play this build in 3.10...

honestly, this is not an east build to start with IMHO; either pure physical necro skelly (my starter, SO DAMN EASY and strong), or Molten strike jugg/chief are far easier and a lot tankier. This is squishy and weak until about 75. It's not a BAD build, but I still get one shot a LOT more than my life based chars, and ANY ground damage is a living nightmare with ES.

There are plenty of OTHER guides out there, just use one of them...

seriously, what am I missing? If I get touched by either ground effect (yes I picked burning ground immunity) or spell damage, at T15+ I'm dead. It's really gotten to be a problem as DPS wise I'm FINE. Could it be CHAOS rez with Shav's fucking me up??

https://pastebin.com/617qa9Jm
Last edited by d3viant6 on Feb 19, 2020, 3:43:34 PM
I GUESS I'm keeping this alive, OK, so above 9k ES and with right flasks it's gotten a lot easier, just did Sirus A6 (didn't want to brick at A8 if I couldn't do it) and except for one die beam death it's not so bad.

Also did uber and shaper, no huge issues, so yeah it's still endgame viable

BUT It'd be nice to see witch get some buffs to make this build A-tier again
Last edited by d3viant6 on Feb 23, 2020, 9:07:47 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info