Gateway Selection Feature for Path of Exile on Consoles

"
Cidna wrote:
"
Pobatti wrote:
This sounds a lot like us folks in the UK will be struggling with slow connection speeds to US-based servers for the first day or two post launch of the PS4 version, especially if we're forced to grab the game from the US PSN in order to play it sooner than waiting for our own PSN store to update.

Still, it's great news that it's getting sorted out, and pretty quickly too. So if we happen to get bad connection issues on the 26th, we at least know that we shouldn't continue to have those problems for long.

Not quite sure what you're talking about? The game already tries to assign the best server to you based on your location.

The Gateway Selection feature is basically this:

That suggests to me that the client by default tries to connect to whichever server it's pre-configured to use. If you downloaded the game from the US PSN, the game will automatically decide a US server is best for you... which might not necessarily be the case if you accessed the US PSN from (for example) the UK. To connect to the UK gateway, you'd probably need to be using the UK client.

Or at least that's how other games, like Tera, have handled this in the past on console. It's also a problem because it basically splits a game's community up, making it impossible for EU and US players to interact.

With the implementation of this feature we'll be able to manually choose, and switch between, all the gateways. That means UK players who downloaded the US client (because it's likely the US client will be available earlier, due to the store being updated earlier) will be able to select a UK gateway from there.

If the gateway was already selected on the fly based on connection speed and ping, there wouldn't be so much necessity for a feature like this beyond allowing players in different countries to mingle as one big community.
read more ? its the samme sentence
"
burns3016 wrote:
read more ? its the samme sentence

The "Read More" link is automatically generated. It's main purpose is to link you to the forum-topic discussing the post, but doubles nicely as a means to truncate long news-posts if they run over-long. The "more" being our replies, or any subsequent replies from GGG staff within the thread that may appear.

In this case the post is short and sweet, and doesn't run-on long enough to require truncating. The link's still helpful though because it brings us to the correct forum thread to discuss the post.
Last edited by Pobatti on Mar 21, 2019, 6:40:23 AM
thaaaaaaaaanks!
This will be nice.
Xbox Gamertag - Corrison
Mixer - https://mixer.com/Corrison
"
Pobatti wrote:
"
Cidna wrote:
"
Pobatti wrote:
This sounds a lot like us folks in the UK will be struggling with slow connection speeds to US-based servers for the first day or two post launch of the PS4 version, especially if we're forced to grab the game from the US PSN in order to play it sooner than waiting for our own PSN store to update.

Still, it's great news that it's getting sorted out, and pretty quickly too. So if we happen to get bad connection issues on the 26th, we at least know that we shouldn't continue to have those problems for long.

Not quite sure what you're talking about? The game already tries to assign the best server to you based on your location.

That suggests to me that the client by default tries to connect to whichever server it's pre-configured to use. If you downloaded the game from the US PSN, the game will automatically decide a US server is best for you... which might not necessarily be the case if you accessed the US PSN from (for example) the UK. To connect to the UK gateway, you'd probably need to be using the UK client.

Or at least that's how other games, like Tera, have handled this in the past on console. It's also a problem because it basically splits a game's community up, making it impossible for EU and US players to interact.

With the implementation of this feature we'll be able to manually choose, and switch between, all the gateways. That means UK players who downloaded the US client (because it's likely the US client will be available earlier, due to the store being updated earlier) will be able to select a UK gateway from there.

If the gateway was already selected on the fly based on connection speed and ping, there wouldn't be so much necessity for a feature like this beyond allowing players in different countries to mingle as one big community.

The thing is, right now it chooses the gateway based on goe location and ping (most likely) but that doesnt work always best. Many people have been having routing issues, disconnects, when getting assigned to a single server, some guys connect by no clue what criteria to a server on the other side of the planet and cannot enjoy. My friends in phillippines, play now on DC, this runs stable for them, if they get assigned to australia, they constantly crash and disconnect. We already bought a vpn, just because it was not offered by the game itself. SO for all facing those random server assignments or having issues with their closest one, can finally play. So for those its awesome and it was an important update, even if not all can appreciate it.

Thx guys, was about time.
GG you don't always meet the expectations of the entire community, but that's ok, complainers gotta complain. Thanks for the work you put into this port.

are you seriously?
the XBOX client is completely garbage!
crashes , infinite loading , uncomfortable trading...wtf?
why do you make your console version of PoE worse than on PC?
My recollection is that this feature has been requested several times in the past. I know that I will be seeing if it helps during the evening when my game develops an annoying and sometimes dangerous stutter.
I now comment in Forums with my Xbox account:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/xbox/view-profile/walkjohn55
"
Pobatti wrote:
"
Cidna wrote:
"
Pobatti wrote:

I don't understand Why it requires someone that doesn't work for GGG to explain a post by GGG. Regardless, thanks for your post, I had no idea what this was about.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info