3.6 Ethereal Knives Phys/Chaos Trickster

Hallo Community,

this is my take on Ethereal Knives

So Why Ethereal Knives?

1. Has an enormous Base Damage. Gem Level 21 has 698 to 1047 Base Damage
2. Get's really nice AoE Range and Nova effect with Ring of Blades Viridial Jewel and Some Projectile Speed.
3. Has already a good Cast Speed of 0.6 seconds. With propper Cast Speed that can be somewhere by 0.13 seconds = 6 casts/sec
4. Gain #% of Physical/Elemental as Chaos is by far the strongest Mod this Leauge, and you can make a good use of that, scaling of a high Base Damage.
5. Does not require much sockets, letting us have a lot of Quality of Life Gem Setup's.
6. Ethereal Knives Star MTX

Why Trickster?
Great Defense, Cast Speed and Damage. - Are there other choices?

Leveling Part:

Spoiler
Leveling is done with Ethereal Knives that you get by Level 1 + Summon Phantasm on Kill Support and Projectile Speed Support. Add Bane in Act 3 by Level 24, this will carry you trough most Acts. Pick up Holy Flame totem for Boss Fights. By Act 5 pick up ring of Blades unique Jewel. By level 40 your Main 4 Link Should look like this: Ethereal Knives + Spell Echo + Controlled Destruction + Energy Leech Support

Guide : Pure Physical/Chaos, Energy Shield + Life or CI
Spoiler

Main Idea of this Build is to stack as much global physical damage and global chaos damage and X% of Physical Damage gained as Chaos Damage to maximize the Damage.

Level 93 PoB with my Gear
https://pastebin.com/7m4gCcUF

sitting on voer 4 Mio Dps for Mapping,
Shaper/Guardian without Flasks at 1.1 Mio DPS, Vaal RF, Power Charges. With Them over 2 Million.

Ah and your Totems do 600k DPS just by themself.

Pros & Cons:
Very Fast+
Great Defense+
A lot of Movement Skills+
Strong Leech+
Can run no regen Map+
Fairly Cheap+

Can't run Phys Reflect-
Can't run Elemental Reflect if you have Elemental Damage mod's on the Gear or Herald of Ash active.
Depending on Flasks for Ailments Immunity, Curse Immunity, Bleed-
Damage is high enough to kill Bosses, but not extreme-

1. Gem Links:
6 Link: Ethereal Knives + Spell Echo + Controlled Destrcuction + Energy Leech + Mana Leech Support + Arcane Surge Support (6- Link)

4 Link Auras: Blasphemy Support + Enlighten + Projectile Weakness Assassin's Mark

4 Link (Weapon):Whirling Blades + Fortify + Herald of Ash + Flame Dash

3 Link: CWDT + Immortal Call + Summon Lightning Golem

4 Link Totem:
Holy Flame Totem + Multiple Totems Support + Controlled Destruction + Infused Channeling

3 Link:Vaal Righteous Fire + Discipline + Blood Magic Support

2. Ascendancy, Bandits, Keystones:

Bandits: Take Alira
Pantheon: Soul of Solaris and Soul of Shakari
First Lab: Take Swiftkiller
Second Lab: Take Ghost Dance
Third Lab: Take Escape Artist
Forth Lab: Take Weave the Arcane
Switch from Swiftkiller to Harness the Void, as you feel that maps are no longer an Issue for you.

Why Harness the Void and not Swiftkiller? - Swiftkiller is greater for Mapping as it is easy to have all your charges up all the time. Different in Boss fights, where you don't always have Monster's to kill. Swiftkiller is an overall damage loss with a potential higher Spike, maintaining full charges while you fight tough encounter is nearly impossible, and should not be a priority for you during this fight. You can gain Charges on other way's - Assassin's Mark Blasphemy will give you Charges, also some new Synthesis implicits or Elder Mod on Gloves, can provide you Charges, making Swiftkiller a bad choise.

What about CI? - you can take CI with Ghost Reaver, just drop some Shield Spell Damage nodes. But, as you already have over +100 Chaos Resistance with Ming's Heart i don't feel like it is necessary to loose 2k EHP dropping you from 10k EHP to 8k EHP. If you go CI, then consider going for Mark of the Shaper + Elder Ring instead of Ming's.

Why Discipline with Bloodmagic? - You can make some use of Lowlife, but you actually never use it besides Boss fight's.

In most of the Bossfights is ABSOLUTE 0 Chaos Damage, such as Shaper, Elder, Uber Elder, Nexus and Cortex Bosses, Delve Bosses, Bestiary Bosses, Shaper Guardians, and Elder Guardians.

Only Chauyla, Chimera and The Constrictor and Fenumus, First of the Night do some Chaos Damage. So you fight them without Discipline. For all other Bosses Low Life is 25% free more Damage and 1000 free Energy Shield.

For General Mapping this Damage and extra Energy Shield is not needed at all. So just run with deactivated Discipline.

3. Items:
Spoiler

Belt:
Bisco's Leash
or some Rare with Energy Shield, Resist, Strength.

Rings:
2 x Ming's Heart
there are no other good options. You can use a Dream Fragments Ring, if you feel annoyed by Chill/Freeze.

Amulet:
Karui Ward Amulet

Absoulte must for "You can apply an additional curse" corruption to use both Projectile Weakness and Assassin's Mark. Or Some Rare with Spell Damage, Cast Speed, Crit Multiplier, and "You can apply and additional curse"

Boots:
Brinerot Whalers Trapper Boots
or some Rare Multimod Boots with Cannnot be Frozen, 20% Movement Speed Cannot be Chilled (Those Probably will cost over 5ex) and Brinerot is a Great choise for 5-20c.

Gloves:
Elder Based Sorcerer Gloves with Socketed Gems are supported by Level 20 Faster Projectiles and Attack and Cast Speed, some Resist, Energy Shield. Those are pretty cheap, and can be greatly crafted with Shuddering + Aetheric Fossil.

Helmet: Any Hubris Circlet With Ethereal Knives 40% increased Damage enchant. Cost about 20c. Chaos or Fossil craft for Some ES/Resist.

Shield: Any ES Based Shield with ES/Resistance/Spell Damage.

Body Armor: Any Hybrid Armor with as much Evasion/ES as you can get.

Weapon: Any Weapon with a lot of Spell Damage, Crit Multiplier, Crit chance for Spells, Gain #% of Physical as Extra Chaos Damage or Extra Elemental Damage of Fire/Lightning/Cold and Projectile Speed.

Jewels: ES, Crit Multi, Add Physical Damage to Spells, Add Physical Damage to Spells while holding a Shield.

Flasks: Atziri'S Promise + Sin's Rebirth + Diamond Flask + Jade Flask + Any Flask

Here is my actual gear:

As you see there are some Elemental Damage sources, as well as Herald of Ash making me unable to run elemental reflect maps but giving me more overall damage.

Spoiler

4. Gloomfang & Chain

Spoiler

This item has a great synergy with Ethereal Knives + Chain Support, as you get 3 Chains and a Whooping Gain 60% of Physical Damage as Extra Damage to that hit. It feels great on Maps, however this nasty Loose 10-15 Life for each enemy Hit by your Spells can drop your Life down quicker then your Leech from Gloomfang can work now, as it is capped by 20% of your Life per second.

Gloomfang has 0.5% Chaos Damage Leeched as Life, that is more then enough to cap your Lifeleech at 20% - 400 Life per second.

If you hit 20 Monsters with 6 Hits a second it equals to 60 hits that degen you 1200 to 1800 Life depending on your Gloomfang roll, while you only sustain 400 Life in the Same second. And additional Chaos Damage from Somewhere, and you are Dead.

there is a "Workaround" for it provided by a nice Community guy making it even possible for CI and Lowlife to use Gloomfang, but as it does not provide any damage in Boss fights, i did opt out of Gloomfang in the late Stage of this build as my Damage on Maps is Insane Anyway. Care more about Boss Damage now.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2225600/page/1

However it is a great item, and makes a lot of fun to play. You have to get rid of Mana Leech Support for Chain Support to do that, and for this you will need Boots with 0.5% of Damage Leeched as Life and Mana when you Killed Recently enchant. I still use Gloomfang + Chain now and then when i go for really fast mapping in a bulk, but got to lazy to switch for Mana Leech Support before Bossfights, makes me run Mana Leech Full Time.

All this will not work on Bosses, letting you with no Mana, and no extra Damage.

Last edited by Tridom on Apr 26, 2019, 4:57:37 AM
Last bumped on Apr 28, 2019, 7:15:44 PM
Im a new player and i want to ask to is this build able to clear all content or at least most of it? thx for answer
Hey, just trying out this build, so far leveling has been a breeze - just wondering why you take Pain Attunement? I don't see how you're getting to Low-Life, unless you're putting yourself there with blood magic somewhere?
"
Relocator wrote:
Hey, just trying out this build, so far leveling has been a breeze - just wondering why you take Pain Attunement? I don't see how you're getting to Low-Life, unless you're putting yourself there with blood magic somewhere?

I believe that's from his Blood Magic + Discipline.
But still Pain Attunement only works at 35% life or below? so 50% reserved by Discipline is not enough to trigger
"
vain_c wrote:
"
Relocator wrote:

I believe that's from his Blood Magic + Discipline.

I missed that, so with that, I guess you could also throw on either the Banner or Herald of Ash to proc pain attunement. I'll experiment with that.
"
BestRengarVn wrote:
But still Pain Attunement only works at 35% life or below? so 50% reserved by Discipline is not enough to trigger

Discipline with Level 20 Bloodmagic leaves you with 32% unreserved life.

if you manage somehow to get Bloodmagic to 23, it will leave you with 35% Life.

"
Kyriels wrote:
Im a new player and i want to ask to is this build able to clear all content or at least most of it? thx for answer

it defently can clear maps and synthethis, with ease and insane speed.

not as good for bosses, because EK is not a single Target spell.

Why don't you use energy leech support with EK?

Also, you can level up your increased duration linked with CWDT. The level of support gems doesn't matter with CWDT's level restriction.
Last edited by Hakaan256 on Mar 23, 2019, 11:38:15 PM
"
Hakaan256 wrote:
Why don't you use energy leech support with EK?

Also, you can level up your increased duration linked with CWDT. The level of support gems doesn't matter with CWDT's level restriction.

you have Soul Thief for Leech, ES Leech is caped by maximum Life recovery, Energy Leech support does not give any, so not needed at all. even with 0.5% from Soulthief you will be at max 10% es Leech on hit rate due to huge damage.

thx for tip for Inc Dur. Right now im playing with CWDT + Chaos Golem + Tempest shield + Immortal Call.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info