BSOD with only POE

Attempt 1:
I tried the drivers Rory mentioned as well. The game ran fine for hours with no issue. Then I received a BSOD when I alt+tabbed to my desktop and launched Google Chrome.

I was running the game in windowed mode (full screen).

Attempt 2:
After restarting my system, I didn't launch any additional applications (no browser, no iTunes, IM clients, Steam, etc...). I also switched the game to full screen non-windowed mode. I played for another few hours WITHOUT a BSOD.

So now I'm wondering if the crash occurs when another application attempts to access the sound card while PoE is running?

Keep posting your results. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT:
Also found this thread http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/24560 where people are reporting crashes when running other apps that use the sound card.
Last edited by rexroth on Apr 6, 2012, 12:57:39 PM
same here with the beta drivers, when playing game no bsod, after alt-tabbing bsod
now when i think about it i used the stated driver and alt+tabbed + starting winamp right at the beginning when i got the BSOD again.

probably a bit premature to assume that the driver didnt help at all.
still no real solution as im alt tabbing all the time :(.
I've had this problem as well. At first it was just random BSoDs with a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. I didn't know what was exactly causing the problem but I did notice that it all began when I was playing the Path of Exile beta (although I was wondering if it was just coincidence). I started running the game in a maximised windowed mode lately and that seemed to stop the BSoDs though.

Later today I got a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION portcls.sys BSoD when I ran Path of Exile so I googled around and was surprised to see this topic show up.

I have a Creative Labs Titanium X-Fi.

In a way I'm sort of glad it seems to be an issue with the beta and isn't a symptom of my system getting ready to explode :D
I also have a Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic and been getting BSODs. Running with the --nosound flag seems to be working so far, thanks.
Is there a fix in the works that doesn't involve installing third party drivers? Playing without sound is pretty frustrating.
I came here to raise my hand for the "who else"-vote. I just had two bluescreens in a row after having played two days without any. Yes, I do have a X-Fi card too.
I searched a little and found out the latest beta driver for the X-Fi series cards is dated Dec. 11. To find and download it,
go to http://support.creative.com/welcome.aspx
select "Soundblaster"
next select "Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium" (third row, last column)

now here's the tricky part which made me think a lil howto might be neccessary:

scroll down to the bottom of the page and use the manual selection-option to specify language: English (searched for German first, but those drivers there are about four month older), specify your OS and finally, specify that you want to see BETA drivers.

I have not found any other possibility to find those drivers, so... that's where they are hidden.

Just downloaded the drivers, will install now *fingers crossed*

EDIT: played a bit and so far, everything worked now. Then again, I started playing the game 2 days ago and until today, everything went smooth as well... Anyone else tried this beta driver? Did it help?
Last edited by mOr5 on Apr 11, 2012, 9:13:15 PM
Thanks for the info, MOr5! I'll pass this on to others, and see if it solves the problem for them.
Balance & Design
I had several BSOD and I have a X-Fi xtreme gamersound card. Wasn't sure where that could come from but I will try the beta drivers and will let you know if that changed anything
Just throwin something in here.

I, too, have an X-Fi card, but didn't have trouble with the sound. However, streaming/recording programs just would not pick up the sound for some reason.
Installing the beta drivers and other shennanigans in this thread didn't help.
So, just for grins and jollies I decided to see what would happen on my Windows 8 partition, and the programs could pick up the sound there! I did a little digging and saw that it was because the Windows 8 install didn't have drivers from Creative installed, and it was instead using some generic drivers. I went back to Windows 7 and told it to use the generic drivers there too and BINGO! the streaming/recording programs pick up the sound now!

If anyone wants to try this here are Win 7 instructions:
Try this at your own risk!

Click Start
Right Click on Computer
Click Properties
In Properties window, click Device Manager in upper left hand corner
In Device Manager, expand the "Sound, video and game controllers" selection.
Find your sound card in the list and right click it
Select "Update Driver Software..."
Click "Browse my computer for driver software"
Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
There should be a selection called something like "High Definition Audio Device". Choose that, and click Next.

That should do it.
I haven't tried playing the game with these drivers for more than a few moments, enough to see that sound still worked and the programs picked it up, but I'll report back if I find any problems.
Last edited by Zahndethus on Apr 10, 2012, 8:29:54 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info