Incinerate

"
Jakabov wrote:
"
350mana/sec. Easily sustainable in an EB endgame build. It'll be rough at some points though especially if you stack supports early but EB should cover it.

350m/sec is nowhere near "easily sustainable," most EB builds sit at about 200m/s. The spell is also virtually useless until that finalized endgame EB build. Until then, it drains a full mana pool in literally a few seconds and can't be sustained even while rolling mana flasks. Any build that scrapes together 3-400m/s is not going to have the raw survivability requried to use a spell that forces you to stand in close range and channel a spell without moving.

"
Running it with Blood Magic and Life Leech could also be an option,

I think that's a bit optimistic.

Exactely. I cant see it being used in any other way but on totems. Then again, it provides literally nothing except for damage

Cold totems provide slows and stuns, Lighning totems provide Shock stacks. Meanwhile this one would deal decent damage, but since totems are mostly one shot in late game maps, especially against shit like casters, I cant even see that working since it would, most likely, never reach its 3rd phase.

I often have to recast and reposition my Spark totems on 75+, playing up to level 70 maps. Thats not possible with this spell since you have to place it in the room for it to hit something, Spark for example doesnt need you to do that. Thinking about it, I am actually pretty sure that it will not reach its 3rd stage in 50% of the late game maps.
Last edited by nynyny on Mar 7, 2013, 11:01:09 PM
"
Jakabov wrote:
"
350mana/sec. Easily sustainable in an EB endgame build. It'll be rough at some points though especially if you stack supports early but EB should cover it.

350m/sec is nowhere near "easily sustainable," most EB builds sit at about 200m/s. The spell is also virtually useless until that finalized endgame EB build. Until then, it drains a full mana pool in literally a few seconds and can't be sustained even while rolling mana flasks. Any build that scrapes together 3-400m/s is not going to have the raw survivability requried to use a spell that forces you to stand in close range and channel a spell without moving.

"
Running it with Blood Magic and Life Leech could also be an option,

I think that's a bit optimistic.

Yeah my bad on EB, thought for some reason I had 220 on my EA witch(without a shield) but only 140 so yeah 350 does seem too high. Blood Magic would be rough too I guess with the modifier on it, maybe with reduced mana on top of that but that seems a bit too much to only be able to run it at full power. With 4k hp though assuming you reach the cap, you're healing 800/s which covers the costs nicely. Does need to actually do a lot of damage though.

Issue with the high mana cost too is you can't just "cast it once in a while" while you wait for regen inbetween, if you run oom at some point, you basically lose all your stacks which makes it horrible and also forces you to wait until you're full before you start firing again. Maybe the intent was to use it on a high mana build without auras, so you have a very large pool to go through, like 2000-2500mana, which would let you do "bursts". The problem is without an appropriate way to refill the mana quickly, it becomes very slow paced and not adapted to the gameplay.

I counted 14 mana though, not sure what's the right amount. At 12mana it's noticeably less and the mana cost scaling seemed pretty slow.

My biggest concern about the skill is it's yet another fire skill that doesn't take advantage of the burn mechanics. It's even worse than Firestorm in that regard. I had hoped for a large burst aoe instead, like Infernal Collapse in TL2 or Meteor in D3, something that has a delay(so it requires leading targets and isn't that good against leapers/chargers) but does a huge burst of fire damage after that delay, which would fully benefit from ignite. Kinda like explo arrow, but spell base and not charge based either.
Last edited by PyrosEien on Mar 7, 2013, 11:10:36 PM
I'm going to echo many of the criticisms above.

The graphics are uninspired - looks visually like flame totem.

The skill is unimaginative because it acts just like flame totem.

The damage is poor.

The range is poor.

High risk, little reward.

The only thing cool about this skill gem is the name.

Needs to be totally reworked in order for it to be a valuable contribution to the game.
"
300/sec if you do enough damage, so that covers it taking into account passive health regen nodes.

Yeah but then all your sustain goes into just fuelling the spell and you'll be left with no actual sustain using a spell that forces you to stand still and channel in close range.
"
PyrosEien wrote:
"
I think the two big keys to determining how effective this skill is whether its ramp-up is based on time or casts (aka does cast speed help), and if the stage damage increase is 1.8*1.8*1.8 or 1+.8+.8+.8.

First one was already resolved on page 2, it increases on casts, every 6casts I believe. The multiplier thing would make little sense to stack multiplicatively as it generally doesn't work that way but it's hard to tell without seeing the damage numbers.

I saw nothing on page 2 and I read through the entire thread, so that's why I asked about the ramp-up. As to stacking multiplicatively, that's by definition how More Damage works in the game. If you have a level 20 Melee Physical Damage gem (+49%) and level 20 Melee Damage Damage on Full Life gem (also +49%), you do a total of 222.01% damage, not 198% damage.
Skill sucks. Why waste time when I can use much more powerful Freezing Pulse? It doesn't have the stupid 20% damage effectiveness as well, longer range, higher dmg, and chill/freeze making it good for defense too.

Verdict: Buff the skill up.
Last edited by cownotme on Mar 7, 2013, 11:18:50 PM
"
Jakabov wrote:
"
300/sec if you do enough damage, so that covers it taking into account passive health regen nodes.

Yeah but then all your sustain goes into just fuelling the spell and you'll be left with no actual sustain using a spell that forces you to stand still and channel in close range.

Actually edited that out cause I suck at a math. You get a lot more. With 6k health like I originally mentionned, you get 1200/s, assuming you can max it. For some reason I was doing 6000/20 instead of 20% of 6000 ^^. Issue as I pointed out in the edit is wether or not you do enough dmg to get that much and most importantly enough to cover the costs. If you're shooting at a single target, it might be hard to cover the costs so you'd need another spell for killing bosses. Even small packs would be hard to break even.
Is it just me or does Fork not work on this?
"
"
PyrosEien wrote:
"
I think the two big keys to determining how effective this skill is whether its ramp-up is based on time or casts (aka does cast speed help), and if the stage damage increase is 1.8*1.8*1.8 or 1+.8+.8+.8.

First one was already resolved on page 2, it increases on casts, every 6casts I believe. The multiplier thing would make little sense to stack multiplicatively as it generally doesn't work that way but it's hard to tell without seeing the damage numbers.

I saw nothing on page 2 and I read through the entire thread, so that's why I asked about the ramp-up. As to stacking multiplicatively, that's by definition how More Damage works in the game. If you have a level 20 Melee Physical Damage gem (+49%) and level 20 Melee Damage Damage on Full Life gem (also +49%), you do a total of 222.01% damage, not 198% damage.

Do you? Thought the more were additive with each other and only multiplicative with the increased which are also additive with each other. In that case I stand corrected and it probably behaves the same way.

For the other question I answered it, it's on page3 my bad, first post. I slowed down a video and counted the projectiles. You fire 6projectiles then 7th is an increased size one. Faster Casting is noticeable just by looking at it, it ramps up faster. So it's cast based.
"
Andir wrote:
Is it just me or does Fork not work on this?

Fork doesn't work with any projectile that pierces all the time, like FP or Flame Totem. Or this.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info