[3.8]🐉 Dragon's Breath Elementalist - Incinerate - All Content - League Starter&SSF viable

Hi fellow exiles and welcome to my original Dragon’s Breath Witch Elementalist build guide.
1.10. ADDED BONUS SECTION FOR SECONDARY (OPTIONAL) STAFF

DO NOT CRAFT ON WAR STAVES

FEATURED BY LiftingNerdBro in 3.6 Synthesis league
Check out the video and subscribe to his channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgxL1D1Vpog

Special thanks to exile SicknessXI who maxed out build in 3.6 to insane levels (16M Shaper dps) and gave me great ideas for further development.
"
SicknessXI

This build was made out of desire to go off current meta in 3.5 and give some love to unrightfully forgotten Incinerate skill with 3.5 reworked Martyr of Innocence staff at the time. It is a self-cast semi-crit build. I wanted it to be flexible, all content capable and most important, to be fun to play. With that in mind I tried not to sacrifice defenses and make a build with enough life that can take a hit or two including Über Elder. I also focused on maximizing the area of effect for good clear speed and scaling of cast speed (over 15casts/sec) to easily reach max dps potential in action. It's pretty straightforward to make but if you get stuck ill be there to help out.

You can also checkout new 3.8 🐍Torstein's Ultimate Poison Pathfinder - All attack poison skills - All Content & Map mods

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2639074

Please read full guide before starting the build.
For any feedback, questions or help with the build, leave a comment on this thread.
Wish you many fun hours of play.

TorsteinTheFallen

Change log 18th September
Spoiler
-changed Controlled Destruction support for Inspiration support in 6L
-passive tree optimization, respec Assassination into Elemental Focus, respec Arcane will and Deep Thoughts and add 2 jewel sockets on the tree
-you only need now one -3 mana for Channeling skills. If you have more than one -3 crafts on your gear Inspiration support wont work!
-pastebin updated
Result from this: more life, more damage, less crafting, easier proc of Elemental Overload

-no more Watcher's eye in the build
-removed Anger
-added Skitterbots! Skitterbots are amazing little immortal bots that have 2 auras chill&shock and reserve only 35% of mana pool

*more about Skitterbots see Woolfio's video https://youtu.be/fTDKKbelfGk
With Skitterbots and Aspect of the Spider enemies will have 40% reduced movement speed and 10% reduced attack/cast speed!

-removed Vaal Grace
-removed Lightning Golem. You can cast 2 Stone Golems that will give you 150 flat life regeneration and are immune to elemental damage
-added one more defense layer, Flesh and Stone (use Sand Stance).
-added one more -mana craft on the amulet
-respec Nimbleness, spec into Arcane Will
-all calculations done, you will have absolutely no mana issues and no mana flask is needed
-updated pastebins for Path of Building

Pros&Cons
Spoiler

+high life pool, 7.5+k life
+very high damage, up to 5,5+ million Shaper dps
+great clear speed, huge AOE
+all content viable
+Acrobatics&Phase Acobatics, up to 75%/75% dodge
+easy Uber Lab, one-shots Izaro due to preloading of 8 Incinerate stages
+easy boot swaps for UE fight (optional)
+SSF viable
+Reflect Immune

*although quite safe, it's not a facetanking build and requires to manually dodge some things (see Uber Atziri fight video, and yes, she one-shoted me once with the spear ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
*not a 200% movement speed buil

-Chaos and Phys damage can hit you hard
-no mana regeneration only possible with mana flask

Path of Building for 3.8 ⭐League Starter⭐
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/UuqVHR5t In the bottom left corner of the PoB you have a menu to see points distribution while leveling.

This is an example for a league start with leveling passive tree menu. As you progress you can transition item by item to the full build. As weapons you can use Lifesprig, Nycta's Lantern or any combination of those and rare crap wands/sceptres/daggers with some cast speed/spell damage/fire damage/added fire damage to spells/elemental damage will be ok.

As you can see in PoB with complete garbage gear and min investment you will have 5.5K life and will be pushing over a 900K dps on Shaper. Even with 5L you are gonna be just fine.
That is more than enough to easily clear everything from T1-T10

Path Of Building for 3.8 Full Build
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/y5Xg7YrF
In the bottom left corner of the PoB you have a menu to see points distribution while leveling.

Just passive tree
www.poeurl.com/cBHr

-Path of Building download site
https://github.com/Openarl/PathOfBuilding/releases

Videos
Spoiler

All videos are recorded in 3.5 Betrayal League during initial testing. Build is significantly improved since.
Kurgal, the Blackblooded @359 depth

Videos below were recorded with Martyr of Innocence staff

***Deathless Uber Elder***

***Uber Atziri, Queen of the Vaal***

Shaper & Friends full run
Damage demo can best be seen at min 7:00

Full Minotaur run

Argus & Izaro, Ethernal Labyrinth

Incinerate & how to use it
Spoiler
Incinerate gains more damage when cast continuously from one spot, up to a maximum of 200% more damage (25% per stage up to 8 stages maximum, or 10 if you use the helmet enchantment). The next stage is reached after every tick (0.2s). At each stage, the flames become visibly larger and will spread out in a huge cone. Since the spell is a channeling spell, if the player is stunned or interrupted in any way while casting incinerate, the spell will come back to stage 1.
At the end of the channeling (Final Wave), Incinerate deals big chunk of extra damage, 500% MORE damage with Hits and 500% MORE damage with Ignite. That’s a lot of extra damage.

To get the maximum dps out of Incinerate you should channel to 8(10 with enchant) stages and release. Final wave deals massive damage. If you played Blade Flurry, this is the same principle.
Monster mobs die fast so maximum channeling is not needed. The area will still be very good.

Build defences
Spoiler

-Build uses Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics keystones which gives passive 40% attack dodge and 30% spell dodge. Quartz flask gives +10% on both. Atziri's step boots, +14-16% spell dodge. Excellent for mapping and bossing.

-Decent life pool ~7.5k life gives a nice buffer

-Aspect of the Spider (more damage and slows enemies)

Flesh and Stone aura, use Sand Stance! -Nearby Enemies are Blinded while in Sand Stance
You take (10-11)% less Damage from Enemies that aren't nearby while in Sand Stance

-Immortal Call

Active skills
Spoiler

Main Skill
–Incinerate
-Focus

Movement
–Flame Dash, gives us ability to get over cliffs, gaps and quickly position ourselves in 1 to 4 successive moves

Utility
-Vaal Righteous Fire, 29% more damage at the cost of % of our life at the time of casting
-Stone Golems
-Abyssal Cry will give amazing clear speed in Blight

Ascendancy
Spoiler

Elementalist Ascedancy

Normal Labyrinth –Pendulum of Destruction
Cruel – Mastermind of Discord
Merciless – Paragon of Calamity
Ethernal – Liege of the Primordial

Items for the full build
Spoiler
Ignore the gem links in this section.
STAFF CRAFTING
Lets start from the staff. This is the best bang for your money crafted staff. Better staves can be crafted ofc but this is easy and most cost worthy solution. Total price for staff crafting is ~4 Exalted orbs.

If you don't want to bother crafting buy 6L Martyr of Innocence staff. It will push out 30% less damage than the crafted one and prob be more expensive but it's still viable and ok solution. In that case do not craft -3 mana on your ring.

-How to craft it
Crafting base: 6L casting base staff (not War staff) with min. item level 77 if you want +3 gems. +3 on average will require about 700 Alterations to roll and +2 ~400 Alts.

If you are playing SFF you can also get the 6L crafting base form the "The Dark Mage" divination cards. But be aware that you might get a war staff from the cards which can't roll caster mods. You can buy cards or farm them in the following areas:
*Overgrown Ruin
*The Chamber of Sins Level 2

DO NOT LINK THE STAFF YOURSELF! BUY THE 6L BASE IT'S CHEAP!
DO NOT USE WAR STAVES BECAUSE THEY CAN'T ROLL CASTER MODS! THESE ARE WAR STAVES BASES:
Iron Staff-Warstaff
Coiled Staff-Warstaff
Vile Staff-Warstaff
Military Staff-Warstaff
Serpentine Staff-Warstaff
Foul Staff-Warstaff
Ezomyte Staff-Warstaff
Maelström Staff-Warstaff
Judgement Staff-Warstaff

1.Use Scouring orb and use Transmutation orb to make item Magic
2.Spam Alteration orbs until you get +3(+2) to Level of all Fire Spell Skill Gems prefix mod
3.Use Regal orb to make item Rare
4.Now you should have just +3(+2) to Level of all Fire Spell Skill Gems mod and one or two another mods after using Regal. Use Annulment orbs to remove 1 or 2 random mods. There are 33-50% chances to be left with just +3(+2) mod
If you were unlucky and got +3(+2) mod removed, repeat the whole process from point 1.

5.If the item is Rare (yellow) and only have +3(+2) to Level of all Fire Spell Skill Gems mod, craft suffix "Can have Multiple Crafted Modifiers" on bench. It costs 2 Exalted orbs.
6.Further craft on bench
prefix (hybrid) (59–66)% increased Spell Damage & Gain (5–6)% of Non-Chaos Damage as extra Chaos Damage ---4 Chaos Orbs
prefix Adds (41–55) to (83–96) Fire Damage to Spells ---4 Chaos Orbs
suffix (26–30)% chance to deal Double Damage while Focussed ---1 Divine Orb
----------------------------------------------------------------------
For the last suffix choose one of those 2 mods. Top tier cast speed mod is better but if you can't afford it go with hybrid.
suffix (21-28)% increased Cast speed ---1 Exalted Orb
OR
suffix(hybrid) (16-19)% increased Cast Speed
10% chance to gain Arcane Surge when you Kill an Enemy ---4 Chaos Orbs

If you don't have some crafting recipes look on forum for crafting service threads in the Community section.

Body armour
Spoiler
Kaom's Heart

Not much to say about this one, +500 to maximum life speaks for itself.

Jewels
Spoiler
-Getting cast speed and life is a priority!

Belt
Spoiler

Preferably Stygian Vise belt with high total life roll. Belt slot is the best to get strength attribute. Min 80% total ele res. Anything else is bonus. If you can't afford Stygian, go for the Heavy or Leather belt with high life roll, they are perfectly fine.

Gloves
Spoiler

Aim for gloves with max resistances you can find and cast speed. Life roll doesn't have to be high. Watch out for socket coloring.

Rings
Spoiler
You want 2 Opal rings (min item level 80). They are craftable with
which gives you guaranteed (27-30 increased fire damage). You just need to hit life and resistance with it. They are also craftable with prestine, prismatic fossils and potent chaotic resonator. Essence crafting tends to be much cheaper than fossil crafting since these essences are ~2c. You can also use Screaming Essence of Anger that is even cheaper.

Pay attention to have free prefix after essence/fossil crafting so you can craft Channelling Skills have -3 to Total Mana Cost. Craft that on only one ring or amulet, so you don't need mana leech! This is important.

Amulet
Spoiler

Shaped amulet with elemental penetration, cast speed/spell damage/fire damage, some life, some res.
OR
Elder amulet with "Gain #% of Non-Chaos Damage as extra Chaos Damage", cast speed/spell damage/fire damage, some life, some res.

Boots!
Spoiler

Atziri's Step boots are very good choice because they further increase spell dodge chance, have 30% movement speed and ok life. They are also dirt cheap.

Rare boots are also very good choice and you will get desired colors more easily.

IF you want to use Kaom's Roots for the Uber Elder, aim for corrupted with movement speed corruption.

You can do UE without Kaom's Roots it's just easier with them.

Helmet and helmet enchant
Spoiler

Buy high ilvl helmet with preferably enchant on it and fossil craft (pristine and scorched fossils) it further for high life, fire res and -9% fire res to nearby enemies.

+2 maximum Incinerate stages is the best enchant
10% increased Incinerate damage for each stage is the second best

Flasks
Spoiler

Please use Blood of the Karui flask when you get above 6k life!!!

Cinderswallow Urn is the best dps flask instead of Atziri's Promise. Besides damage it provides amazing sustain. Aim for 2-3% life recovered on kill with 3% life regeneration during flask effect if you can afford.

Suffixes:
-of Staunching (Bleeding immunity)
-of Heat (Freeze and chill immunity)
-of Warding (Curse immunity)

Aspect of the spider
Spoiler
Aspect can be crafted on any rare item that has free suffix. You can buy jewelry with or without it and beastcraft aspect as long the item has free suffix. Beastcraft with this

Don't use Aspect of the Spider before you craft on ring -(3) mana mods for CHANNELING SKILLS AND GET ENLIGHTEN LEVEL 4 GEM

3.8 Ultimate Poison Pathfinder -all attack poison skills- /view-thread/2639074
3.8 Oni-Goroshi Slayer Cyclone /view-thread/2554593
3.8 Dragon's Breath Elementalist Incinerate /view-thread/2318921
3.8 Dragon's Breath Chieftain Incinerate /view-thread/2506867
Last edited by TorsteinTheFallen on Nov 17, 2019, 6:00:31 AM
Last bumped on Nov 18, 2019, 11:31:38 AM
Gem Links
Spoiler
You should be aiming for level 21 Incinerate gem. Detailed gem levels and qualities you can see in Path of Building.

6L –Incinerate - Combustion - Faster Casting - Infused Channeling - Concentrated Effect - Inspiration

Use Increased Area of Effect when mapping instead of Concentrated Effect!!!

4L
Herald of Ash - Flesh and Stone - Enlighten level 4 - Summon Skitterbots
You don't need Enlighten 4 before you get Aspect of the Spider

4L must be in gloves
Flame Dash - Vaal Righteous Fire- Arcane Surge level 7 - Summon Stone Golem

4L should be in boots IF you want to swap to Kaom's Roots for Uber Elder
Immortal Call - Abyssal Cry -Cast When Damage Taken-Wave of Conviction

Pantheons
Spoiler
should be fully upgraded

Major- “Soul of Lunaris”
Minor- “Soul of Tukohama”

For Uber Elder
Major- “Soul of Lunaris”
Minor- “Soul of Yugul”

Bandits
Spoiler
Kill all.

Leveling
Spoiler
From level 2-12 use Magma Orb or Fireball-Arcane Surge(keep at gem lvl1)-Combustion
When you finish Act 1 start using Flame Dash as movement skill
From level 12 you can use Incinerate for leveling. Incinerate-Arcane Surge(lvl 1)-Combustion
From level 16 start using Herald of Ash

From level 18 onward and you get the chance to upgrade you main setup add gems in this order, Incinerate – Combustion -Faster Casting - Inspiration - Infused Channeling - Increased Area of Effect(Conc. Effect for bosses)

When you finish quest A Fixture of Faith in Act 3, buy from Siosa Summon Skitterbots.
Also buy and link Shield Charge, & Faster Attacks gems and equip a shield. This will speed up your movement.
When you finish quest Fallen from Grace in Act 6, buy Fortify from Lilly and link it to Shield Charge.

Arcane Surge(lvl 1)-Flame Dash-Orb of Storms

Usefull leveling items:
Tabula Rasa
Lifesprig
Wanderlust
Goldrim
Praxis - until you get Praxis ring use mana flask
Meginord's Girdle
Le Heup Of All
Lochtonial Caress
Ngamahu's Sign

For other item slots use rare items and prioritize life and resistances.

Take defensive points first for each stage of leveling.

In Path of Building, in the bottom left corner you have the menu to see level by level point distribution.

Anointing amulets in Blight
Spoiler
Good passive points to anoint are:
Off: Divine Judgement, Disciple of Slaughter, Prodigal Perfection

Off/deff: Singular Focus, Overcharged, Golem Commander

Deff: Golem's Blood, Heart of Oak, Soul of Steel

Mobility: Fleetfoot

Clearspeed: Battle Cry

BONUS SECTION - if you want to spend extra money for more clear speed and fun
Spoiler
If you have extra currency to spend and you like the build you will craft one more staff for better clear speed. I wont repeat the whole crafting process here, i'll just write what mods you are going to craft and the gem setup.

Now you will have 2 staves, one for bossing and big boy damage and one for mapping/blighting in your secondary weapon slot. You can hot swap them on X key. With 2 staves you wont have to make gem swaps.

Mods:
+3 to Level of all Fire Spell Skill Gems
Can have multiple Crafted Modifiers
Adds (41-55) to (83-96) Fire Damage to Spells
(21-28)% increased Cast Speed
(8-10)% chance to deal Double Damage (not focus on this one)
hybrid (59-66)% increased Spell Damage &Gain (5-6)% of Non-Chaos Damage as extra Chaos Damage

Gem setup for this staff:
Incinerate level 21 - Cast While Channeling - Volatile Dead level 21 - Fire penetration - Inspiration - Controlled Destruction

FAQ - Frequently asked questions

Spoiler

-Why Vaal Grace lvl10-15?
Because it's enough and dexterity for that is provided by passive tree. Going higher can give you problems with dex attribute and it's not necessary.

-Can I use 2 Wands?
You can use pretty much any crap you want but, getting 2 one handed weapons means you have to get 6L on chest. Having Kaom's Heart (+500 life) and 6L in your staff is the biggest advantage of this build.

-Which items to upgrade first?
Go for staff and Kaom's Heart next!

-I die often, what's the problem?
You probably don't have enough life/capped res, wrong flasks or not using them.

My other builds
Spoiler

🐍Ultimate Poison Pathfinder - Venom Gyre / Pestilent Strike - All content & Map Mods
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2639074

Oni-Goroshi Slayer Cyclone
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2554593

Dragon's Breath Chieftain Incinerate
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2506867

Last edited by TorsteinTheFallen on Oct 7, 2019, 2:13:29 PM
Hey there - I'm new to the game as of 2 weeks ago. I tried your build yesterday and it was amazingly fun! You switched out cold snap for (vaal's) grace, but kept hypothermia on the 6L chest piece. Was that an oversight?

Since I don't know all the game mechanics and spells, I was wondering what you would put in place of that for additional damage since nothing is doing cold damage any longer? Again, I'm new, so I could be overlooking something here.
"
KBeutler wrote:
Hey there - I'm new to the game as of 2 weeks ago. I tried your build yesterday and it was amazingly fun! You switched out cold snap for (vaal's) grace, but kept hypothermia on the 6L chest piece. Was that an oversight?

Since I don't know all the game mechanics and spells, I was wondering what you would put in place of that for additional damage since nothing is doing cold damage any longer? Again, I'm new, so I could be overlooking something here.

Hi, i'm glad you are playing my build. :)

True, I made some changes but they are final now so pls dont forget to check new pastebin. I'm sorry for the confusion. Change log is updated.

Yes, i changed Cold Snap for Vaal Grace in boots due to changes i made to the build defences.
I switched from stacking block chance to stacking dodge chance thru Acrobatics and Phase Acrobatics keystones, flask and finally Vaal Grace.
Flask setup is also different and now you dont need to change flasks for Uber Elder.
I changed the main boot also to Atziri's step.
Defenses are much better now due to stacking of dodge that is at maximum level (75%/75%) in tough situations.

About cold damage. Pay attention in gear section. I said that you need to have Abyss jewel with cold damage to spells or cold damage to spells while wielding two handed weapon mod for hypothermia to work. Minimum roll is perfectly fine.
Damn this build looks really nice, midterm season is coming so I doubt I can play much but I'll try to give it a shot.
"
Damn this build looks really nice, midterm season is coming so I doubt I can play much but I'll try to give it a shot.

tnx! :)

give it a spin when you find time
Really enjoying the build so far, only level 27. I am curious why even bother with Hypothermia. Does the chill and damage due to chill really make that much of a difference? Thanks
"
kwiknez wrote:
Really enjoying the build so far, only level 27. I am curious why even bother with Hypothermia. Does the chill and damage due to chill really make that much of a difference? Thanks

I'm glad you like it.

Yes, Hypothermia is worth and very potent gem but it needs Beacon of Ruin (Ascendancy Notable Passive Skill) to be acquired first and cold damage source which is Abyss jewel.

Hypothermia at gem lvl20

-Supported Skills deal 39% more Damage with Hits and Ailments against Chilled Enemies

Beacon of Ruin mechanics

-Beacon of Ruin overrides the minimum threshold of 1% effect that normally applies to chill and shock.[2][3] In other words, 1 point of cold damage from any hit will apply chill[4], and 1 point of lightning damage from a critical strike will apply shock. This also applies to damage types that are enabled by unique items, where 1 point of physical damage will apply chill when Soul Taker is equipped.[5]

more on PoeWiki
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Beacon_of_Ruin

Last edited by TorsteinTheFallen on Jan 30, 2019, 5:23:52 AM
Incinerate my fav skill ;) good old times when it was op af :)

Started lvling. thanks for sharing.
"
MusicalMind wrote:
Incinerate my fav skill ;) good old times when it was op af :)

Started lvling. thanks for sharing.

It's still very strong. :) rock on ^^

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info