[3.7] Getting Physical - UPDATED Shattering Steel Guide

Thanks for all the great replies!

awawawawa:
Good question for POB. For all my setups, Brutality has been a better choice than Slower Projectiles, so I would check that for the Starforge variant as well.

Piddu:
I really value the corpse explosions from Haemophilia, and it was relatively painless for me to corrupt my own pair with Vulnerability. For Uber Elder, Haemophilia really don't add much at all, and something like 2 socket Tombfist are the easy winner.

Outside of big boss fights like Uber Atz, Aul, etc, I would still value the corpse explosions. I could have pushed the build further, but I didn't feel the need to.

cadmium flow:
" does the increased Fortify effect from Dread Banner apply to all instances of Fortify or only the short one the banner grants when placed?"

Yes, it affects all instances of Fortify.

LGOH is a GREAT idea for the build. I opted for non shaper/elder Rings because it eliminates a lot of mods from the pool, so alt/regaling was much more straightforward.

emptyjar:
"How do you level this?"

I would not want to use Shattering Steel with less than a 4 link: Shattering/Vicious/GMP/Fork.

That said, the skill tree is very generic, and things like Sunder are still GREAT options for leveling. I would level this build with Sunder and swap to Shattering Steel (ie, grab Point Blank and drop any "melee" nodes on the tree) at Blood Aqueduct.
what pantheon would u recommend ?
"
Atuukson wrote:
what pantheon would u recommend ?

For the most part, Pantheons are a matter of choice. For major, you could choose Araakali with the "queen of the great tangle" upgrade for additional life recovery rate with Blood Rage + CWDT Immortal Call, or you could do Soul of the Brine King for mitigating chain stuns, etc.

For minor pantheon, for general mapping I like to use Soul of Shakari + upgrade to mitigate chaos degen and poisons. Whenever I do Uber Elder, I swap my minor pantheon over to Soul of Yugul upgraded, which gives "reduced cold damage taken if you've been hit recently."
I dont have any problems whit map exept those fcking syndicate, keep getting one shot... (6,5k life) i know am low on chaos res but am using a chaos resist flask so i end up in The positive chaos res. I dont know what els too do. Any tips other then get more chaos res?
"
Atuukson wrote:
I dont have any problems whit map exept those fcking syndicate, keep getting one shot... (6,5k life) i know am low on chaos res but am using a chaos resist flask so i end up in The positive chaos res. I dont know what els too do. Any tips other then get more chaos res?

With a build like this you need to layer your defenses for when evasion/dodge fail, which they will. To that end, I would try the following:

• Keep Fortify up at all times during Syndicate encounters, and make sure you place your Banner as well. If you are having trouble keeping Fortify up, consider getting a helm with the Fortify enchant instead.
  • Attempt to completely avoid the big telegraphed slams. I know this is hard due to how much screen spam occurs during these fights, but I find just randomly WBing around helps.
  • Get at least one additional layer of Physical Damage mitigation. This can be as simple as Arctic Armor, or the OP's clever use of Purity of Elements along with Phys as Cold / Chaos Resistance Watcher's Eye. This is probably the best option (especially for more Chaos Res) although it will cost you a jewel slot.
  • I also use a Basalt flask, although this is personal preference. I still find Physical Damage spikes are more dangerous than Chaos damage spikes. You could also go for the Phys Taken as Fire helm mod craft, or get a rare chest with a similar mod.

Beyond that, stay mobile. Nothing really survives beyond 2-3 full point blank blasts anyway, so you almost want to play this like a bow build: get in, do your damage, and get out.

As for the discussion about Haemophilia: I would build around these for clearing at least, it makes the build a LOT smoother, faster, and more enjoyable to play. I picked up this beautiful corruption yesterday for 2ex:

However I would keep a Tombfist (with a nice jewel) or a Fenumus' Weave around for any of the endgame boss fights.

Edit, forgot to add: for another source of Physical Damage mitigation, be on the look-out for a well-rolled Talisman (I think this was around 1ex):

Due to this build not benefiting much from shaper/elder amulets and instead relying on more traditional rolls (phys damage to attacks, crit multi, life), these are actually fairly easy to come by. The life regen implicit would also be nice here, especially if you stack with the tree, ascendancy, boot enchant, and Delve helm mod.
Last edited by CadmiumFlow on Feb 4, 2019, 12:29:36 PM
thx alot for your input! ill try and adjust gear/flask etc and kinda poor atm so ill do it in babysteps ;)
Do you think it is worth adding + 4 projectiles and far shot by dualwielding 2x beltimber blade or do we lose to much crit + crit multi?

[3.9]Hasunic's Toxic Rain Trickster: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2712106
[3.7]Voidforge Flicker Strike Slayer: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2532214
[3.7]Oni-Goroshi Fire Vaal Reave Zerker: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2583978
"
Hasunic wrote:
Do you think it is worth adding + 4 projectiles and far shot by dualwielding 2x beltimber blade or do we lose to much crit + crit multi?

I checked my POB for you. With my crafted swords, it's just shy of 3m Shaper DPS.

Dual wielding perfect Beltimbers with my gear is about 2.5m Shaper DPS, so that should feel comparable. To me, any build with 1m Shaper DPS and good uptime on the damage (conditional buffs, etc) will feel fine against Uber Elder. More DPS than that might feel more necessary if you're delving beyond 600 depth.

Just remember that when comparing POB DPS, you'll need to set all your configurations correctly, then account for any Impale + Impale Chance + Aura effectiveness. Take that final projectile DPS number, multiply by 2 for fork, and then multiply by your total number of projectiles.
"
"
Hasunic wrote:

I checked my POB for you. With my crafted swords, it's just shy of 3m Shaper DPS.

Dual wielding perfect Beltimbers with my gear is about 2.5m Shaper DPS, so that should feel comparable. To me, any build with 1m Shaper DPS and good uptime on the damage (conditional buffs, etc) will feel fine against Uber Elder. More DPS than that might feel more necessary if you're delving beyond 600 depth.

Just remember that when comparing POB DPS, you'll need to set all your configurations correctly, then account for any Impale + Impale Chance + Aura effectiveness. Take that final projectile DPS number, multiply by 2 for fork, and then multiply by your total number of projectiles.

Ty. Think I'm gonna try it out
[3.9]Hasunic's Toxic Rain Trickster: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2712106
[3.7]Voidforge Flicker Strike Slayer: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2532214
[3.7]Oni-Goroshi Fire Vaal Reave Zerker: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2583978
"
Hasunic wrote:

Beltimbers are a good budget option for this build and will out-perform a lot of comparable swords due to the extra projectiles. Far Shot also feels pretty good and helps with clear. The only thing about them is they lack the impale chance you can craft on Jeweled Foils or find on Paradoxicas like these:

To my knowledge, the only way to get to 100% chance to impale is to have some form of it on both weapons. Without 100% chance to impale, some hits will not impale, and then you will not get the full "more" multiplier (and also lose out on the 4-8 flat physical damage). Therefore every hit that does not impale is 4-8 less physical damage plus 10% less damage over the next 7 hits. That said, most enemies do not last 7 hits, so how much this matters is debatable.

Bottom line is that they will work just fine for trying out the build and killing all map bosses without issue. You can then decide if you want to keep investing in better weapons to continue scaling up.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info