Can this game do better for long time players somehow?

"
Albinosaurus wrote:
"
Morkonan wrote:
"
Albinosaurus wrote:
...Anyone else feel similar? Maybe have other ideas about it?

I am currently not playing PoE because of this... I'm just tired of having to grind through the "story" portion of the game for every darn character, every darn season.

IOW - It's against GGG's interests to provide a means for content-skipping. Unless, of course, they can find a way to heavily monetize it to make up for possible lost stash/mtx sales because of it.

This is why I wouldn't mind a one time fee for this feature. Maybe $20 and you have to level one character through the story each season before you can use it. I'd be okay with that.

@element274

This is NOT what I have in mind and don't want that in the game.

Dont even need that. I loathe leveling through the acts so much I'd take an endless ledge that doesnt drop currency, or hell, items for that matter, that opens up after I reach maps on my first character.

One of the main reasons I end up quitting is the fact I decide I wanna do something else, and I just cannot stomach playing through those 10 acts again. I would play far longer and build more characters if I could skip that.

Just let it be an endless ledge that goes up 1 lvl per zone, to 65 or whatever, that doesnt drop items/currency, and opens after your first toon unlocks map device.

Or hell, just let your first toon unlock all the stuff for every toon after it. That way I dont have to do the skill point quests, the bosses, nothing. I can go grind in whatever areas I want until I get to the level I want. So when you hit maps on your first guy, every toon after that has all their quests done, all zones open all the way to act 10. You just pick where you want to go, and level accordingly.
"
Albinosaurus wrote:

@element274

This is NOT what I have in mind and don't want that in the game.

Filthy Casual Scrub.
"Belief is the strongest metal of them all." - Izaro
Filthy Casual Scrub.
"
Albinosaurus wrote:
...This is why I wouldn't mind a one time fee for this feature. Maybe $20 and you have to level one character through the story each season before you can use it. I'd be okay with that.

While we all know that PoE funds itself through in-game purchases, adding an item that allowed the players to bypass grinds/content would cause the long-term playerbase to freak-the-f-out and they might lose too much "Goodwill" there. Crusty "hardcore, I don't understand why noobs don't want to gouge out their own eyeballs with knitting needles over the few hours it takes to speedrun speedrun-builds" players would get angry because other players didn't want to play like them...

There's also the problem of any new League mechanics being introduced during the standard pre-mapping game. That could be an issue that wasn't too hard to make up for, like just requiring the player to go back and hunt for those introductory quests/encounters, but there's definitely a timesink that will be required, anyway, as I don't think GGG is going to auto-level Masters, give the player low-level recipes, etc...

Gaining levels has never been a problem in PoE for those who aren't speedrunning. Kill most of mobs on the map, be overleveled halfway before Atlas, guarranteed.

To be honest, it seems that everything is focused on "keeping the player, playing" but not because of content, but because of certain barriers or "gateways." (A sort of taboo word frequently argued about.)

PoE is ruled by RNG and Time. The only effective way to get through the content and into the mid/late game of the Atlas et al is really going to be speedrunning. With the addition of more mechanics/drops being introduced at lower-levels, progression is getting stretched out a bit and speedrunning is arguably less effective this way. That may make GGG happier, but it's starting to make me a bit aggravated. :)
Element, you're missing the point. It can't be a feature that you pay for on each separate character. It also has to address a few other things:

-How do you ensure the 2nd+ character(s) get the skill points, bandit reward, and pantheon without having to clear the campaign for the 13,000th time?
-You have to delay its effect at the start of leagues due to racing, firsts, achievements, challenges, etc.
-Your proposed meme pics ignore that you can't just level up, because you'd still have the campaign in front of you and visa versa--it must do both, or provide an alternate method (such as removing sulphite requirement for Delve) that also answers point 1.

I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny, trying to troll, or what point you think you're making, but spamming those pics isn't really going anywhere.
Tired of trolls? Ignore them.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1473168
"
Albinosaurus wrote:
Element, you're missing the point. It can't be a feature that you pay for on each separate character. It also has to address a few other things:

-How do you ensure the 2nd+ character(s) get the skill points, bandit reward, and pantheon without having to clear the campaign for the 13,000th time?
-You have to delay its effect at the start of leagues due to racing, firsts, achievements, challenges, etc.
-Your proposed meme pics ignore that you can't just level up, because you'd still have the campaign in front of you and visa versa--it must do both, or provide an alternate method (such as removing sulphite requirement for Delve) that also answers point 1.

I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny, trying to troll, or what point you think you're making, but spamming those pics isn't really going anywhere.

I'm giving you ideas of this game becoming pay-to-win because of your demands.
Filthy Casual Scrub.
"
Morkonan wrote:
"
Albinosaurus wrote:
...This is why I wouldn't mind a one time fee for this feature. Maybe $20 and you have to level one character through the story each season before you can use it. I'd be okay with that.

While we all know that PoE funds itself through in-game purchases, adding an item that allowed the players to bypass grinds/content would cause the long-term playerbase to freak-the-f-out and they might lose too much "Goodwill" there. Crusty "hardcore, I don't understand why noobs don't want to gouge out their own eyeballs with knitting needles over the few hours it takes to speedrun speedrun-builds" players would get angry because other players didn't want to play like them...

This is the core problem I've seen hold this game back over the years. GGG are afraid to explore certain things, implement certain features, consider certain QoL aspects for the game, etc. due to these guys. In spite of that, it still managed to become the best ARPG on the market without a doubt, but the most compelling thing about the game (build diversity) being gated behind a pointless grindwall (the campaign) really takes its toll on players eventually. I wonder if this will continue to be sustainable in the coming years, though I admit it might be difficult to guess for a number of factors on both sides of it.
"
element274 wrote:

No, you're trying to straw-man what I'm talking about. There's a difference. The most important part being your intentional ignorance (or dismissal) of what differentiates it from p2w. I guess if that's all you have to offer, there isn't much point responding to your posts until you decide to be more honest about it.
Albinosaurus, I think the game would be more fun if it were the opposite, remove the maps and make the poe completely linear.

This could be possible in new acts with the mechanics of masters, just fitting others side areas and their respective bosses, acting as side quest.

for example:

Acts : Campaign / kitava
Zana: Shaped Areas / Elder/Sharper
Alva : Incursion/ Vaal areas / Atziri
Niko : Delve / Aul
Einhar : Hunting Fields / Spirit Beasts
Navali : Prophecy Missions / The Pale Court
New Npcs : Breach/Abyss Areas / Breach lord / Abyss leech etc.

So leveling and end game would not be separate and you can do everything without becoming annoying.
Last edited by Santiagofera on Jan 17, 2019, 9:03:00 AM
"
Albinosaurus wrote:
"
element274 wrote:

No, you're trying to straw-man what I'm talking about. There's a difference. The most important part being your intentional ignorance (or dismissal) of what differentiates it from p2w. I guess if that's all you have to offer, there isn't much point responding to your posts until you decide to be more honest about it.

Sure. That is all I have to offer, and I'm being honest about it, that is how I understand what you have said. I just created a pay-to-win scenario to give what you want.
Filthy Casual Scrub.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info