To Continue...? Some Concerns

"
Lukums wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for the very detailed information provided below I will take time to look into this further.

100% a learning curve. I get that, I've already (made a mistake it seems) and have gone straight up to FIRE increase damage which looks like no builds do that.

I've selected a https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2025472
"Flame Blast Build" as I've enjoyed using fire up to this point and have the skill in use currently.

I took your advice to solidify this as a low cost build to enjoy and get going.

I guess my biggest question.

If I go down this build route which isn't far off what I had selected. If I want to go (ICE) or (Electric) with the fire affixes already selected obviously this would be an issue.

Is there anyway to re-set skill points?

I have quite a bit of information to get going a bit deeper you guys have definitely given me further things to think about.

Luke

There is a way to reset points, called regret orbs. But they are not to common when you start out and it's not cheap to respec an entire character.

However, I started out without a guide. My first char wasn't very good. That didn't demotivate me at all though. Because the second was already so much smoother then the first one. PoE takes time to really get into it. There is no shortcut to that really, sorry.
All good!

Not looking for any type of "Short cuts" been loving the game so far. Starting to get my ass kicked a little but it's all in good fun. (for now) HA.

I appreciate the input and help. I think I'll plot along with the cheap build as found see how far I get into the story/end game (if at all) and then re-asses then.

If it leads to a new build/char so be it. Part of the journey,

Luke
Just a note

First 5 acts are really tutorial mode and very easy. The fun and testing your build and char starts after A5.
Flameblast is fun :) It might not be the meta right now but you can do most content with it.

Make sure to keep your resistances maxed, pick enough life nodes. Also for flameblast getting enough cast speed is very very important :) Enjoy your first playthrough. Most witch builds are very versatile in what skills they use. With very few respec points you can go from fire build to cold etc. You usually don't make damage type decisions too too early anyway.
Just copy that build guide.

There is no shame in copying a build guide on your first character. It will help acclimate you to the game, and then you can start branching out in your own build, and even tweaking that one once you get your sea legs under you.

Just copy that build to a T for the first try.

As far as ruining your character:

What almost always ruins someones character is they are too squishy. That ends up being the vast majority of new player's problems. If you copy a guide, you will probably avoid this pitfall because the guide will lead you to defense nodes that new players skip in favor of damage nodes.

By endgame, mowing down legions of mobs is easy for any skill; its your ability to take a hit that holds you back. Just focus on that guide, keep your resists maxed, and your hp/energy shield high.

But yea, thats the pitfall that ruins almost all new player's characters. They dont follow a guide, they go in blind, they get a ton of damage nodes and no life/energy nodes, they dont max their resists, and then they reach higher difficulties and die in 1 hit from mobs and dont know what to do.
"
In order to play this game correctly, the key is PLAN AHEAD, always.

On the PoE Skill tree there is a "Create Build" button and a mention of a potential in-game planner...I like PoB but I hope they hired Openarl to work on it as well as in-game content, because it's ALWAYS a better option to have your tools INSIDE the game (*cough*TRADE*cough*) instead of out (*cough*TRADE*coughhack*).

Last edited by LeetbakaDX on Jan 13, 2019, 9:55:41 PM
Alright so update -
Thanks for all the info turns out I wasn't going the "wrong" path even before looking at the guide... sure I did go straight up to grab "Fire Damage" not realising that the left hand side had this area with HP nodes around. Ah well.

I've entered into ACT 5 and boy oh boy I can see what you guys mean.

Those caravans ...no worries 1-4 Acts... now... NOPE.

It takes kiting.... avoiding... pre-casting to get around. I mean I enjoy the challenge and loving getting further and further in.

Just wanted to say another big thank you to all whom posted you all were super helpful.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info