Is Resolute Technique absolutely necessary?

I'm playing softcore, nearing the end of Act 2 Normal. I've been exploring the many many trees posted on these forums to see what other people have done.

Since this is my first character, I'm just exploring the game as I go along. So far, I've been working on a Level 32 Staff Templar who uses Sweep and alternating between Lightning Strike/Glacial Hammer/Infernal Blow as his main attacks while I decide which one I like best.

Nearly EVERY melee templar build I've seen use Resolute Technique. Could somebody explain whether this is really necessary, or if it's possible to reach merciless without Resolute Technique?

I was planning on grabbing the two 15% critical strike nodes and the 40% critical strike node on the west side of the tree in the templar area along with the Hammer Blows node and picking up a few of those Accuracy/+20 Dexterity nodes

I too would like to know as a bow wielding templar. Feedback would be appreciated!
As you progress your chance to hit will drop considerably.
When it will drop under 80% you will notice that.

Also please take into account that the 15% increased critical chance is not added to the base crit chance, it is multiplied.

For staff, 2 nodes with 15% crit chance would be like: 30% * 6.5% = 1.3 * 6.5% = 8.45%

So in order to reach 30% crit strike you need a LOT of crit nodes.
Some people just prefer to settle this issue by using resolute technique and focus on other things in the passive skill tree, like HP :)
My Templar is lvl 24 atm im going for an Infernal Blow/Tempest Shield Templar. I took Resolute tech. And I must say is really nice because now I just Focus on Shield block healt and flatout dmg, instead of having to go after the dex nodes. I think you will be happy about it!
It's not absolutely necessary grabbing some dex/accuracy nodes will do the job as well as the added accuracy support gem the problem is that both of these methods on achieving enough hit chance have their downsides (significant amount of skill points to spend and sacrifice of an linked socket) which are considerably worse than sacrificing your ability to crit for most builds.
I just spend a couple of exalt speccing out RT and I can say its not nessecary. But to make it worth your while you will have to spec hard towards as high critical chance/multi as you possibly can - and you will have to give up quite a bit of defence.

Overall it was very much worth it for me - especially since you will be able to take advantage of all the elemental effects. Accuracy was initially a problem but its very easy to get accuracy from gear (250+ per ring/Amu) so no need to pick up lots of dex (though it helps as you will be able to level your Dex gems a bit higher for even better dps). Also remember that the displayed accuracy is nothing to go by as you will at some point outlevel every single mob in the game and therefore have a lot higher hit rate that the game tells you.

I recommended leveling with RT and then speccing out of it when you're lvl 70-75.
IGN Standard: HolyPatman
IGN Anarchy: UnholyPatman
"
Tenant wrote:
My Templar is lvl 24 atm im going for an Infernal Blow/Tempest Shield Templar. I took Resolute tech. And I must say is really nice because now I just Focus on Shield block healt and flatout dmg, instead of having to go after the dex nodes. I think you will be happy about it!

Carefull with stacking block chance. Everytime you are blocking/throwing tempestshield attack you are getting mini stunned.
For example you have 50%+ Block chance and you are surrounded by more then 6 creeps. THey migh perma stun you and you ll just die. Cause the effect of blocking just ministuns you.
I ve made the expirience that you should never stack block chance higher then 40%.
The best would be you have 25-30%. Its pretty nice to block every 4th attack.
"
Go0olem wrote:
"
Tenant wrote:

Carefull with stacking block chance. Everytime you are blocking/throwing tempestshield attack you are getting mini stunned.
For example you have 50%+ Block chance and you are surrounded by more then 6 creeps. THey migh perma stun you and you ll just die. Cause the effect of blocking just ministuns you.
I ve made the expirience that you should never stack block chance higher then 40%.
The best would be you have 25-30%. Its pretty nice to block every 4th attack.

your actually a bit mistaken, I made this mistake myself

you only get stunned if the attack were to stun you.

basically a block is just an evade but you can still get stunned.

the block recovery for shields just happens to be a lot higher than stun recovery

you can test this out by just walking around while using tempest shield without attacking. you'll notice you never get stunned if the damage is weak enough, but you'll see the enemies getting shocked, and they only get shocked if you block their attacks
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/120959 My guides
What i mean with ministun is the animation of the block. While this animation you cant cast/or run until the block is done. Meaning still if you block to much you cant move.
Im pretty sure about this mechanics. It is independant of the dmg dealt.

I will try that tonight to prove it.
"
Go0olem wrote:
What i mean with ministun is the animation of the block. While this animation you cant cast/or run until the block is done. Meaning still if you block to much you cant move.
Im pretty sure about this mechanics. It is independant of the dmg dealt.

I will try that tonight to prove it.

yea there is no ministun when you block, only if that attack were to stun you when you block will actually stun you

like I said, you can run around with tempest shield on, you'll find yourself blocking the attacks, but you wont be stopped or stunned.

just make sure your not testing in an area where the enemies were going to stun you. go to a lower level area to do this test.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/120959 My guides
Last edited by DarkenDragon on Mar 6, 2013, 7:11:14 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info