Skill Reveal: Lancing Steel and Shattering Steel

thanks Natalia
"
XigTek wrote:
"
LumpsIsHigh wrote:
Both look incredibly lame to me. These aren't "melee" any more than a load of other "melee" skills.

This ranged melee notion that keeps happening is just further screwing over self cast. The fact that self cast is deader than dead should be the focus of skill working. Not giving melee (which has reliable leech) more ranged options.

Finally, a cold channeling skill is implemented and the only thing that anyone is thinking is "man that's gonna be sick with totems." Just like Arc 2 leagues ago.

They aren't melee skills, dude. Read the post. They're clearly spectral throw style projectile skills, not melee. "No melee attack is performed."

Did you miss the quotes on melee? You think that isn't obvious? Did you read what I wrote?

These are ranged attacks with melee weapons. Your comments just further drive home my point.
"
capable of hitting close enemies with multiple projectiles.

Shotgunning returns

SHATTERCHUCK IS BACK FOR 3.5 BOIIII

Hype it up fellers

/s
This looks promising :)
So without buffs to pure phys these skills or at least "impale" are dead in the water with the same boats as any brutality phys/melee build that can't or doesn't leverage the out of control DPS of ubiquitous Ele conversion. "Unmitigated phys damage" means you need to give up about 66% of your total damage potential* to gain the benefit of impalement which looks like its something like a stacking 10% taken debuff at least at first glance and simplifying it to "kinda like damage taken".

Spoiler
by foregoing Ele conversion almost all pure phys builds in PoB have their damage potential reduced to about a third of the potential that they have if you add ele conversion and "phys added as elemental" (such as but not limited to stat sticks). So a Blade Flurry build that does 3 million dmg with elements generally can expect to do 1million with pure phys as a hypothetical example. this can be seen objectively in PoB so I wont be responding to anyone who says "nah anh Phys is fine because I have a 700k dmg sunder build.

Does anyone else feel like Impalement is GGG's way of punting on making Bleed a competitive choice in the game?

I also really feel like "projectile not melee" is a mistake placing these skills firmly in the same opportunity space as Molten Strike with 1/300th of the hit rate AND pure phys meaning there's literally no hope they compete with the skill except perhaps as clear skills to MS's single target. But we all know how mixed the community is on using both a "clear skill" and a Single target skill especially a "clear skill" that is pure phys and completely gives up chills, freezes, shocks and etc.

Really hoping that Phys melee and especially bleed get some attention, I'll never figure out why GGG thinks bleed needs to be 1/10th of the damage potential of stacked Poison, and Phys melee (literally the most dangerous play-style while also being the weakest form of DPS in the entire game) needs to be 1/3rd the potential of a phys to Ele conversion build. The only reason I can come to is that they intentionally want Melee phys to be the weakest option due to the "need bad cards to show what the good ones look like" axiom from MTG. Its sad that not even SOME ways of doing Phys melee can really compete with ele blade flurry or Molten strike.
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
Last edited by alhazred70 on Nov 18, 2018, 8:31:44 PM
"
Did you miss the quotes on melee? You think that isn't obvious? Did you read what I wrote?

These are ranged attacks with melee weapons. Your comments just further drive home my point.

They're physical skills, not melee skills. Not every physical skill needs to be in melee range.

(in other words, why are you upset that they aren't melee skills?)
Last edited by zipppy on Nov 18, 2018, 8:32:34 PM
They are physical skills, using melee weapons only. This isn't a physical spell like Bladefall, so I don't understand your point at all. The point is, if self cast doesn't even have the advantage of range over melee weapons/skills then what is the point?

It's already dead because totems, mines, traps.

It's already dead because of almost zero access to leech.

Now we continue to give melee weapons/skills, that DO have access to leech in a myriad of ways, more ranged options.
Last edited by LumpsIsHigh on Nov 18, 2018, 8:36:55 PM
For daggers too? I'm sick and tired to see new skills ALWAYS only for axe or sword. Shame to you ggg.
Last edited by Kastmar on Nov 18, 2018, 8:45:01 PM
How does Impale interact with itself, and with Bleed? Does Impale damage add onto further Impale damage (I am guessing not)? And does Impale damage feed into the same bleed as the hit that is proccing Impale damage?
builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1663570/
Nice!!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info