Why Diablo went mobile

"
Destructodave wrote:

The funny thing is, I think Diablo Immortal is a fantastic idea. And I bet it would have went over glowingly had they already announced a new PC Diablo. The issue is D3 is so old at this point that sequel is a given, and they announce a mobile version before they announce a new PC Diablo game. They put the cart before the horse, pretty much.

I thought about this for a bit and I've come to the conclusion that this is not true.

So what happened is that Blizzard views D3 as a failure despite selling 30m copies because they weren't able to monetize the game further (Game as a Service is a must have for AAA games these days). That's also the reason why D4 is currently in development hell, they didn't know what to do since the core Diablo gamers would reject MTX and loot boxes like they rejected the RMAH in D3 but Blizzard absolutely needs to make D4 a GaaS type of game or else shareholders would lose their shit. So they devised a new plan, they basically went "fuck the core gamers" and targeted the mobile market which has no problem with GaaS or even p2w. The plan is to get this new target group invested in Diablo and then a couple of years down the road release a PC/console version which caters to them. So if you thought Diablo was dead with D3, just wait to see what D4 will be like. I bet it won't even be called D4 and it will entirely cater to the new Diablo fans whose first Diablo game was Diablo Immortal. RIP in piece.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Blizzard is blue
It’s stock price is red
Nothing's immortal
Diablo is dead
"
grepman wrote:
"
Destructodave wrote:
but thats the way the industry is going; just gonna have to accept it.

"thats just the way x is going, just gonna have to accept it" = the most passive way to engage things, ever ?

No, technology is growing. Gaming on Smartphones is the future, friend. But people seem so hard stuck in their ways they refuse themselves enjoyment based on principle.

There are people who refuse to play games on their phones or emulators. Flat out refuse, because its mobile gaming.

Much like anything else, times change. In all honestly, nowadays PC gaming is offering less and less incentive to even do. Consoles have caught up to PCs in terms of what they offer, and offer far more titles as is. What games are PC only nowadays that are actually worth spending 800 dollars on a videocard when it runs better on your 400 dollar PS4 in your living room? Like it takes a pretty good computer to run something like Monster Hunter World or Battlefield 5, but your 400 dollar PS4 can run it easy peasy. I mean unless you play stuff like League, or WoW, there isn't much PC's do better than consoles nowadays.

Mobile games a lot of times offer something completely different, too. I felt the same way about mobile games, but my buddy who travels a lot for work started playing a lot of mobile games and I joined him and there are some good ones in there. They are fun.

I'm not gonna huff and puff in the corner like some old codger out of principle of the platform the games come out on.

If D:I is good, and its fun, who cares if its on mobile or not. Like I said, you can literally download an emulator like Bluestacks, and play it just like a PC game and nothing change whatsoever about the experience.

But people are gonna have to realize mobile gaming is one of the biggest gaming platforms there is nowadays, and its common sense that more and more developers are going to be looking at that platform to make games. Just gonna have to deal with it.

Last edited by Destructodave on Nov 13, 2018, 11:30:40 PM
"
Destructodave wrote:
"
grepman wrote:
"
Destructodave wrote:
but thats the way the industry is going; just gonna have to accept it.

"thats just the way x is going, just gonna have to accept it" = the most passive way to engage things, ever ?

No, technology is growing. Gaming on Smartphones is the future, friend.

Im not your friend, pal

and 'gaming' on smartphones is the most casual gaming possible

"

But people seem so hard stuck in their ways they refuse themselves enjoyment based on principle.

if someone doesnt enjoy playing casual gaming, it's hardly out of principle.

that fact that you're acting like casualization of gaming is the future, is the reason why I will fight it till I die.

"

There are people who refuse to play games on their phones or emulators. Flat out refuse, because its mobile gaming.

and ? I refuse to play anything that cant be played with kb+m. and ? kb and m can be used with almost any game that doesnt have active feedback, and even then its possible

"

Much like anything else, times change.

blanket statement. games, as far as what constitutes 'gaming' in my opiniion, is the shittiest it's ever been. I find myself playing almost exclusively 90s games.

"
What games are PC only nowadays that are actually worth spending 800 dollars on a videocard when it runs better on your 400 dollar PS4 in your living room?

first, 800 vc is a high end card. second, whats the point of a pc being in a living room ? no, please explain to someone doesnt play games with friends (all of my friends dont play games as they're in finance/investing) or play console games period

"

Like it takes a pretty good computer to run something like Monster Hunter World or Battlefield 5, but your 400 dollar PS4 can run it easy peasy. I mean unless you play stuff like League, or WoW, there isn't much PC's do better than consoles nowadays.

you can run anything on pc. even 15 years you were able to play emulated silent hill on a pc. last time you tried a nintendo game on ps4 was ?

"
but my buddy who travels a lot for work started playing a lot of mobile games and I joined him and there are some good ones in there. They are fun.
tell me now, what does propping casual gaming like its the future, does to someone me who thinks gaming is about being frustrated and solving problems for hours ?

"

I'm not gonna huff and puff in the corner like some old codger out of principle of the platform the games come out on.

of course not, you actually LIKE IT. I dont like it so I wont bend over and take it; I will punch it in the mouth.

"

If D:I is good, and its fun

fun is subjective. you arguing from the pov of a casual gamer you dont get what 'fun' is to me

"
and its common sense that more and more developers are going to be looking at that platform to make games. Just gonna have to deal with it.

nope, I wont watch games get casualized via devs chasing the long $ by propping myself against fence and taking it all in.

here's what I think - you actually like casual gaming. absolutely nothing wrong with that, but your "not much you can do" is a farce statement like you're sympathetic to old school gamers like me who like their games "For us by us" aka FUBU. stop pretending.
Last edited by grepman on Nov 13, 2018, 11:55:03 PM
There should be no doubt that the tech is changing an that mobile is a huge market - but mobile tech still has a long way to go before it matches console/pc power.

The other thing to keep in mind is do you really want to drain your communication device gaming while waiting in line at the store or whatever, potentially missing an important call that could be life-changing?

When I started this thread, it was more to bring attention to how gamers are changing, and how its becoming more common for them to have a sense of entitlement and expect the same experience of people who have put in far more time and effort.

Mobile totally capitalizes on that, as you can streamline the experience while simplifying things so that they no longer take long term investments in time or effort. Also micro-transactions everywhere.
Yep, totally over league play.
simplifying and streamlining are two words I cannot stand. its literally EVERYTHING the gaming I enjoy stands against.

RIP beloved microsoft flight simulator. when games started going to consoles there wasnt enough demand among casual gamers.

and this is what yall cosigning ? complex games dying for dumb simplicity ?

FOH
PoE is a casual game. Arpgs, are a casual genre of game.

Its the kind of games you play when you get tired of actually trying in FPS titles, RTS, and Moba's.

So this notion you are somehow more "hardcore" than a mobile gamer because they play their games on mobile, while playing Arpgs, is ironic.
"
Destructodave wrote:
PoE is a casual game. Arpgs, are a casual genre of game.

Its the kind of games you play when you get tired of actually trying in FPS titles, RTS, and Moba's.

So this notion you are somehow more "hardcore" than a mobile gamer because they play their games on mobile, while playing Arpgs, is ironic.

lol, way to miss my point by a few thousand miles- are you the missing boeing ?

and no, poe- at least the 2013 version I got hooked on, not today's far cry - was a far cry from a casual game. just the amount of undocumented exploration was enough to make casuals cry their eyes out. casuals like their games to suck their dick 24/7 and always give rewards.

and yes, Im more 'hardcore' than average gamer who plays on mobile. lol. Im also more 'hardcore' than so-called video game experts who review games and who think rpgs started with mass effect and bioware, since I actually forgotten more games in a subgenre than theyve ever played in their life combined.

not to toot my horn but you questioning it, is hilarious

arpgs is just a subgenre I also play a lot. my most played genre is crpgs and adventure games. blind. no maps. no tutorials. no hints. no walkthroughs.

mobas ? lol wut I dont play pvp shit I thought I told you that I dont play mp games... your reading comprehension is struggling, you should invest into that instead of mobile games. I dont play against friends or random people.

good luck to someone who plays games on mobile being able to play wizardry iv. or even hexen, lol. or even F.E.A.R on the highest difficulty

and, hardcore gaming does not mean skill games necessarily. Im a really bad fps player, for example. it means no handholding and not catering to lowest common denominator

again, my point is that by saying mobile games are the future, you are effectively saying its fine to kill off niche games. which are the only games I enjoy at this point

I dont agree. at all. and I will do my best to support niche games like age of decadence (alas, RIP poe) and probably pirate dumbed down pieces of shit games and re-distro'ing them.

sure, thats not a lot, but I wont be caught with my pants down and the 'future' raping me, no sir.
PoE has always been casual. Its far harder now than it was in damn 2013. It was a joke of a game then. Zero difficulty.

And no, you aren't hardcore. You are playing an Arpg. And to think 2013 was harder than current PoE, you are just one of those kinds of gamers. The nostalgia gamer.
"
grepman wrote:
'gaming' on smartphones is the most casual gaming possible…

that fact that you're acting like casualization of gaming is the future, is the reason why I will fight it till I die…

here's what I think - you actually like casual gaming. absolutely nothing wrong with that, but your "not much you can do" is a farce statement like you're sympathetic to old school gamers like me who like their games "For us by us" aka FUBU. stop pretending.
Dude, Path of Exile is fucking Cookie Clicker with leveling and itemization layered over it. You're in a forum for a game so casual that its devs have openly discussed watching Netflix simultaneously to playing it. Do you think you're in hardcore land over here? I remember when GGG abandoned that shit, and it was years ago. You're clinging to a past that was never even properly realized; it was at best a promise, and it wasn't kept.

PC Master Race folks are always acting as if other platforms are filthy casual while they're not. That hasn't been the case for a decade, because PC games have been casualized just as much, if not more, than other platforms. When a non-casual PC game emerges, it's not a release from one of the big developers; regardless of platform, AAA games are guaranteed casual hugboxes.

I feel your point about older games, eg 90s games, better feeding that hunger for challenge. But this casualization trend seems to me to be much more a function of time than of platform, and the argument that casualness is forced onto games by limited controls seems downright silly going back to some early console titles. You're making this all "PC hardcore, mobile casual" when such a distinction doesn't exist in reality, only in your imagination. Modern PC games are every bit as casual as modern mobile games, in general.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 14, 2018, 12:56:53 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info