CWDT not proccing - need guidance please

Greets all. As the title says I'm having difficulties getting CWDT to proc. Might be an error in my understanding and I've googled the heck out of this over the past week. Reaching out for more experienced player's input.

Setup:

CWDT (lvl2) -> Immortal Call (lvl4) -> Efficacy Support (lvl5) -> Assassin's Mark (lvl6)
All gems are 40 or below. None are outside of CWDT's level range.

My character is a Deadeye Ranger and has no other way currently to acquire Power Charges outside of this setup.

1: Am I doing something wrong with my order?
2: Will Immortal Call not proc at all if there isn't a Power Charge?
3: If IC doesn't proc will Assassin's Mark (next in the chain) proc?

My character needs to have IC working to be more survivable. First character in Delve (so not rich) lvl 80 with 3.3k health. It gets ... tense at times. Limited in health options atm.

Many thanks in advance
I have a wrist disability and play POE on a PC with a controller, using software for bindings, for which I am really grateful else I would be unable to play POE. Now using JoyToKey. Google it if you want more info.

I play ranged - always up for party. Now: Scion ES.

Have Fun Exile!!
Last bumped on Nov 26, 2018, 5:27:30 AM
is it possible you did your cwdt in an item with socket +1 mod? This was what I had some times ago, before I noticed that the mod just makes my setup no more working.
Maybe?
No its not a +1. I'm completely baffled :)

Previously had the same gems in a helmet and two different sets of gloves. Haven't had success with any of them.

Really appreciate some guidance with trying to accomplish this.
I have a wrist disability and play POE on a PC with a controller, using software for bindings, for which I am really grateful else I would be unable to play POE. Now using JoyToKey. Google it if you want more info.

Have Fun Exile!!
It should proc both Immortal Call and Assassin's Mark.

One thing I can think of not proccing is because in maps you are killing monsters too quickly at range. Since you are not getting hit, your CWDT doesn't get triggered.

Go to some level 40 zones and just let the mobs attack you to see if your CWDT got proced.

Usually ranged characters use Herald of Lightning with Curse on hit to curse monsters or they use curse on hit glvoes or some other curse on hit items due to they are often evading most of the hits at range. Hence using CWDT to trigger curse doesn't usually work (but CWDT with Immortal Call is still popular because it saves you from consecutive physical hits).
Many thanks Kiermac. I'll try the lvl 40 suggestion to see if it works.

I got 1-shotted in a lvl 5 map through a prophecy boss when my life was full. This was on the last shot - boss died and so did I. I'm running Herald of Ice so to the best of my knowledge I shouldn't have been hit with Reflection. No clue why I died and it's really, really bugging me :)

Life is up to 3.3k at lvl 80. Most I can get atm with nitpicking on each item that is affordable. Trying to find ways to make my build more survivable. I am running Grace and have 70%'ish evasion.

Should I rather look at swopping out IC and replacing it with Molten Shell or similar?

Have Fun Exile!!
I get the impression you might be expecting it to perform a lot better than it actually does.

There's a lot of down time between procs, and more so when you're evading hits.

The internal cooldown means there are at least 3s between procs.

Without endurance charges, the buff doesn't even last a second.

Also consider that extremely brief moment is only of physical immunity, when you're generally taking mixed damage regardless.

Evade without dodge isn't very strong and prone to eating spikes. Even with strong dodge you still have to be weary of sudden spikes.

My guess is that your cwdt is proccing, but because its so short and your screen is generally covered in effects that you never notice it.

However, if you want to do further testing, just run the cwdt and ic with nothing else and see if its more consistent without the other links.

Yep, totally over league play.
"
SeCKSEgai wrote:
I get the impression you might be expecting it to perform a lot better than it actually does.

I think this is the crux of the issue. Because you rely on Evasion you're not getting hit a lot. You also seem to have spec'd heavily into damage so you're just killing most things outright most of the time.

Your bigger issue is your over-reliance on uniques in your build which is why you're sitting on only 3.3k life. That's easy one shot territory particularly in Delve where damage is off the chart. Also, Immortal Call only protects you from Phys damage so if you're getting smashed with Elemental damage it's probably going to outright kill you.

You've got a number of life multipliers on your gear and tree, but aside from your helm and your gloves, you have no other sources of flat life. Most players will aim to have life on almost every piece of gear aside from essential uniques.

Back to that, you should aim for maybe 2 or 3 build enabling uniques and use rares for the rest. You cannot be master of all, you will have to compromise somewhere on something. Rares allow you to stack flat life and you should be able to get to 4.5k and maybe even 5k life if you get life on your jewels too.

You should only use a curse in a CWDT set up if it's a defensive curse such as enfeeble or temporal chains. If you need a curse to generate power charges you need to proactively cast that all the time, not when you're getting walloped because by then, it's too late. Best thing would be to spend the currency on a Shaper ring with the "Curse enemies with level # Assassin's Mark on Hit" so that everything you hit will be cursed and you'll have constant uptime on charges.

You're wasting a number of skill points to get resists from the tree because of all your uniques. You could get resists on gear, respec your tree and improve your survival. You're an evasion character. Why the hell haven't you grabbed Acrobatics when it's right there? Refund that one point above Cloth and Chain and grab it immediately! Ditch the Rumi's and replace it with a Quartz Flask.

OK, that's probably more info that you really wanted so I'll leave it there but good luck with the build, we hope things improve for you!
There is no need to keep Efficacy this low, you can level it up to 20. Only triggered gems need to respect the maximum required level of CWDT. Support gems can be higher.
Last edited by AsbelFar on Nov 9, 2018, 4:19:58 AM
To EVERYONE above's comments -> THANK YOU!!!

Hey I can handle constructive criticism, which you guys have done and done it well. Some incredible suggestions and fantastic advice there. I genuinely appreciate the time you guys took to actually look at my build/gearing and apply your minds in such a constructive way.

It's not going to be an instant fix but subtle tweaks as I progress and wrap my mind around the mechanics. Thank you again all and have a super w/e

Edit: I'll post skill/gear changes here, based on above, as I've implemented/can afford and gotten to grips with them in case anyone's curious. It's going to be one at a time though else I'll lose the plot :)

Have Fun Exile!!
Last edited by FarStrike1 on Nov 11, 2018, 1:23:55 AM
Feedback - covering all posters info:

@SeCKSEgai - you are right. It procs too quick. SO have definately established that it is proccing.Will look for an item which gives endurance charges, probably when standing, and go back to IC. Had changed to Molten Shell to test it out. Thank you for that. I was expecting too much from the combo and it was just too quick to see with busy screen graphics.

@Asbelfar - thank you so much for that pointer re the Efficiacy gem!! Completly misunderstood how support gems worked there. Have let it reach it's potential.

@Aldora - Yea you gave me a ton to think of and try out here. I have managed to get life up to 4.3k and sitting on 4.7k with a temporary chest change. I tested the life pool out using Kaom's Roots just for a little life boost and it did make a difference apart from being slow as ...

In the interim I have temporarily gone with Iron Reflexes (think that is what its called) Converting evasion to armour. It made for a lot more survivable character in the lower life pool. Goal is to get life up to 4.5k/5k and revert from IR.

You are also quite right with your comments on using Uniques. It's an easy trap to fall into to find best unique for slot when we are not familiar with proper crafting. More on this shortly.

Acrobatics - I mapped my tree to get to Acrobatics early on. Is it really that good? When it came time to invest in it and with constantly being taken out I noticed the stats (on paper) don't look that great. Was going to take that whole branch. +30% only didn't sound really sexy though lol. I'm open to suggestions with this.

Flasks - this is something I haven't paid too much attention to. And now realise it's a necessity. Made a few changes there (trying out most things to understand for myself how things work in practise) Here's current setup.

Now we get to the difficult part - Rares.
Yes I fully understand why we need them - the difficulty is 1: cost and 2: understanding of what to go for and how to balance.
I tried looking for specifics and quickly realised that each part needs to be balanced with the whole setup.Then having to research which type of belt for life etc.Was quite overwhelming tbh.
I started Delve mid way through so will finish "not wealthy" lol.

Is there a guide on how to migrate from using uniques to Rares? EG: What to look for, how to balance etc? I have been googling this and been going in tangents all over the place. Not talking about crafting - that's a whole section all on its own. And its expensive for a late entrant. Looks like it could be really rewarding. Later playthrough.

This is probably the biggest gap for a newer player (apart from the tree - which is awesome)to understand. It also seems to come into play from around level 60'ish

Again many thanks for the input. All your advice has helped me have a much more enjoyable experience and deeper understanding. Now to just close the gap with looking for and how to balance rares, then on to crafting properly :)

Have Fun Exile!!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info