[3.4-DEAD] Scold's Last Breath Cast on Attack Cyclone Spell Nova| 35 Spells & 155 Proj a Sec

DEAD BUILD due to Zerphi's Last Breath Changes.

I'm Looking For a Video of this build in action! If you have any gameplay of this build, please send me a link to it so I can show it here.

[3.4] Scold's Last Breath Cast on Attack Cyclone Spell Nova | 35 Spells & 155 Projectiles a Second | T16 Elder Map Viable*
*T16 Elder UGS can be run solo. Other T16s have not been tested.

I quit PoE, so I won't be making any updates or changes to my builds. If you manage to update or improve any of them, please share it in the build thread or PM me so others can benefit! I will link it in the OP too.

This guide is not for players completely new to Path of Exile. Some knowledge and experience is required.

Video (similar build visually, but doesn't use Inpulsa's, Discharge, Volatile Dead):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dybuWILNRXU

Cost according to poe.ninja on 18.10.27, excluding skill gems:
Delve: ~26-31ex
Items: Weapon: Sire 6L 3ex, Helmet: Scold's 15c, Body Armour: Inpulsa's 6L 3ex, Gloves: Kalisa's spell crit or ele weak 50c, Boots: Skyforth 1.6ex - Rare under 30c, Amulet: Voll's 35c - Rare 30c, Rings: Shaper 8c - Elder Praxis 1-2ex, Belt: Shaper Rare 30c, Flasks: 50c + 0 + 1ex + 14.5ex + 0, Jewels: Fevered 30c * 8 = 1.8ex - Watcher's 0.5ex
Standard: ~28-37ex
Items: Weapon: Sire 6L 5ex, Helmet: Scold's 20c, Body Armour: Inpulsa's 6L 5.5ex, Gloves: Kalisa's spell crit or ele weak 2ex, Boots: Skyforth 4ex - Rare under 1ex, Amulet: Voll's 90c - Rare under 1ex, Rings: Shaper 25c - Elder Praxis 1-2ex, Belt: Shaper Rare crafted 1ex, Flasks: 50c + 0 + 1-2ex + 1-2ex + 0, Jewels: Fevered 1ex * 8 = 8ex - Watcher's 2ex

Clear Speed:
Average to Above Average, depending on monster health, map layout, and how much you loot (see below).
In lower tier maps where you 1 shot everything, you'll be clearing everything on and off the screen with Cyclone. In T16 Elder Underground Sea with sextants, beyond, and influence, it won't one shot everything on the screen, so you'll be slower and may need to get closer to tough monsters.
If you frequently stop attacking to loot things like alcs, chisels, fusings, etc, you'll have to frequently restart your Zerphi's which takes about 6s. This can slow you down considerably, but you can reduce how often this happens. See "Tips" for details.

Survivability:
~4.1-5.1k life. 4.1k @92 with Skyforth and Voll's, 5.1k @98 with rare boots and amulet. Up to 8400 life recovered/s without recovery rate modifiers. 80% Max Res. Ailment Immune. Curse Immune. Cannot be stunned (while using Cyclone). 32% Attack Avoidance.
Relies on 100% flask uptime for survival which is possible with Pathfinder's Master Surgeon "Gain a Flask Charge when you deal a Critical Strike".
May have difficulty sustaining mana (and thus life) to attack while using Righteous Fire (RF) and taking many fast hits or damage over time (DoT). Cannot survive while taking significant DoT because you won't have mana (eg. Shaper Beam).
Can't do these map modifiers: Cannot Regenerate, Less Recovery Rate (only 60% tested), Elemental Reflect. Can't do this sextant modifier: Instant Life and Mana recovery from flasks

Single Target:
Can easily kill the boss of Underground Sea in a T16 Elder Map.
Boss DPS hasn't been calculated, but I may try in the future.

Path of Building Code
Guide to using PoB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLpKZVNTOo8
PoB Code: https://pastebin.com/xfcqKKJP
PoB Code for theorycrafting (has more items, trees, gems, etc): https://pastebin.com/yscEncXb
Select the appropriate tree and item set

Based on my character "ThrowAwayRanger"

Notes From PoB
Note: This guide does not cover all possible ways to play Scold's Last Breath Cast on Attack. It instead focuses on the build described in the title. But once you understand the mechanics, you'll be able to make it work in many different setups.

Build Mechanics:
Essential Items: Scold's Bridle, Fevered Mind, Zerphi's Last Breath, Watcher's Eye with "20% of Damage taken gained as Mana over 4 seconds when Hit while affected by Clarity", Praxis, Shaper belt with T1 increased Mana Recovery Rate
-The build works by using Scold's Bridle to "deal you 400% of Mana Spent as Physical Damage" which triggers Cast When Damage Taken (CWDT) and any spells linked to it. The damage you take is reduced by anything that mitigates physical damage such as armour, endurance charges, pantheon, and physical damage conversion.
-Level 1 CWDT requires you to take 528 damage before it triggers, but it can only support gems level 38 and lower, and any linked spells will deal 70% less damage. It also gives any linked spells a cooldown of 250ms, which means you can only attack/cast a up to 4 times a second for maximum DPS unless you have cooldown recovery. Because of this, the mana cost must be increased to deal a reasonable amount of damage.
-To increase the mana cost, and thus the damage, 8 Fevered Mind jewels are used for a total of 800% increased Mana Cost of Skills. To increase the mana cost further, any support gems linked to the main skill used should have the highest mana multipliers possible.
-When calculating the total damage you take from Scold's, you must take in to consideration any of the previously mentioned physical damage reducers. The PoB configuration panel's "enemy physical hit damage" setting can help with calculating the effect of armour. You should also consider party play with a guardian who shares endurance charges, uses determination, and gives armour from Radiant Faith.
-Zerphi's Last Breath allows this build to gain life faster than we lose it from Scold's without needing a source of leech. It is active as long as your mana doesn't reach full. It grants 600%*1.46=876% of Mana Cost as Life over 4s which is more than the damage you are dealt from Scolds (400% of Mana Spent dealt to you as Physical Damage). Therefore you net 476% of mana cost as life over 4s which allows you to sustain your attacks and quickly recover any life lost from taking damage. In this build, you can reach up to 8400 life recovered/s without recovery rate modifiers. However, since you are first dealt damage from Scold's before you recover life from Zerphi's, you will effectively have 2000-500 less than max life for 180ms, assuming you don't mitigate the damage with Mind Over Matter. This is why this build is weak against many fast hits.
-The character mitigates up to 30% of the damage taken from Scold's by using Mind Over Matter (MoM). Generally this will only be 5-15% because our mana pool never stays above our mana cost while attacking. It also uses MoM to effectively increase the mana cost per attack by 2.2x which prevents your mana from reaching full so you can sustain Zerphi's.
-To sustain the build's very high mana cost of up to 1767 mana/s, we take advantage of the hit damage we are dealt by Scold's whenever we attack. The generic modifier "% of Damage taken gained as Mana over 4 seconds when Hit" from both Watcher's Eye and Praxis allows this build to reach a total of 28% gained. Together with 20% increased Mana Recovery Rate from a Shaper Belt, the total gained as Mana effectively becomes 33.6%. Assuming no physical damage reduction, you would only need 25% gained to sustain Cyclone (Scold's deals 400% of mana as damage, so mana cost is 25% of dmg dealt). This build has more than 25% gained to counter the mana degen from Righteous Fire (RF) with MoM (~260 mana/s), damage taken from enemy hits, and endurance charges if used (1.136 times more mana gained required). The build also regenerates at least 55 mana between attacks.
-As a result of the mechanics used, this build can't do these map modifiers: Cannot Regenerate, Less Recovery Rate (only 60% tested). Or this sextant modifier: Instant Life and Mana recovery from flasks

How to Play:
-Attack once, then use Zerphi's to slowly build up your life and mana recovery for 4s. Then you can start killing things. Alternatively, you can turn off clarity, then quickly use Zerphi's and attack before your mana fills up. Then turn clarity back on.
-Carefully control your mana pool by adjusting your cyclone distance, movement speed with flask, and using Righteous Fire (RF) if needed. If your mana fills up, quickly use Zerphi's to avoid committing suicide, or run away and wait 2-4s to restart your Zerphi's.
-Do not use RF while clearing maps unless you're sure you can keep your flasks up while continuously attacking. I suggest using RF and Vaal RF only on bosses to avoid running low on mana while looting.
-If you're using Skyforth and need to regen life, move to a safe area, then take off your boots.

Tips:
If you have trouble keeping your mana down while looting and have to frequently restart your Zerphi's, you can try
-swapping the Shaper belt with Mana Recovery rate for an Elder belt with Life Recovery rate and Flask Effect
-increasing your total mana by getting maximum mana nodes on the passive tree, and by getting more mana on your gear
-reducing your mana regen rate by getting less mana regen on the passive tree, using clarity level 1, and getting less mana regen on your gear if you have any
-reducing the damage you take from Scold's through phys mitigation (Not Recommended) which causes you to get less mana back

Pantheon:
Arakaali with "50% increased Recovery of Life and Energy Shield if you've stopped taking Damage Over Time Recently"
Shakari

Leveling
This build isn't the fastest or tankiest, so I recommend you level to 92-98 as a speed clearing Deadeye. You can find some very fast Deadeye builds in my thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2115434
If you really want to level with this build, you can use less Fevered Mind jewels and a lower level CWDT and spells. See the lower level trees for examples (untested).

Gem Options
Attack (Cyclone)
Link Life Gain on Hit support and Faster Attacks. The other supports can be anything that has a mana multiplier of 140%.
Spells
You can use any spells you want, but the ones I use I think have the best combination of fun, defense, and damage for the gear I chose.

Gear Options
I have gone through every item more than once, and the ones I chose are the best balance of fun, EHP and damage. However, the rares could be improved with more currency spent.
I have not tested any of the new uniques since 3.3 Incursion League unless you see the build using one of them.
All of the items in the Build Mechanics section labelled "Essential Items" are required.
Body Armour: For maximum mana cost, use Ashrend. For max power charges with Discharge, use Voll's protector with Inya's Epiphany boots.
Gloves: Kalisa's Grace is Best in Slot (Bis). Use Voidbringer for max mana cost.
Boots: Skyforth is required for consistent power charge generation while mapping with Discharge and Inpulsa's. It has the downside of no life regeneration, but you can take them off when you need to regen. For max power charges with Discharge, use Inya's Epiphany Voll's protector body. For max DPS, use Mutewind. If you don't want to use discharge, use rare Shaper boots with life, mana, movement speed, and supported by increased duration.
Amulet: Use a rare amulet with life, mana, resists, crit multi, elemental penetration, non-chaos as extra chaos, etc if you don't want end charges or Discharge. Use Voll's Devotion for more discharge up time (requires lower level CWDT for 3 endurance charges).
Rings: The Elder Praxis used in the build has the best rolls possible, but any rolls will work. If you can't find one for sale, buy any item level Elder Paua ring, then chance and scour it until you get a unique (Praxis is 1 of 3 possible Paua uniques). It took me about 30 chance orbs to get an Elder Praxis, but your results may differ. Mark of the Shaper can be replaced with Essence Worm for a potential damage boost if you have an Anger mod on your Watcher's Eye.
Belt: Aim for T1 Life and Mana Recovery rate on a Shaper Leather Belt. If you have Mana Recovery rate on your Watcher's Eye, or if you need less mana recovery as explained in "Tips", use an Elder belt with Life Recovery rate and Flask Effect. This build cannot reliably use a Headhunter.
Flasks: The only optional flask is Divination Distillate which gives 5-6% max elemental resistance, so I'd recommend keeping it instead of getting more damage.
Jewels: For the Watcher's Eye Jewel, the only required roll is "20% of Damage taken gained as Mana..." which may not need to be 20% (I haven't tested lower rolls). If your Watcher's Eye jewel also has "(20-30)% increased Mana Recovery Rate while affected by Clarity", then you don't need to use a Shaper belt with mana recovery.

Enchants:
Boots: Cold Damage if you've been Hit Recently

Are you playing standard and looking for something even better? Check out the expensive legacy gear version:
[3.4-Legacy Gear] Scold's Cast on Attack Cyclone Spell Nova| 48 Spells & 200 Projectiles a Second | 7k EHP | T16 Guardians Viable
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2239173/

Check out my other build guides
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2115434
Please message me on Discord from the MF Academy instead of PMing me on the forum.
Last edited by SodaPop9 on Jul 27, 2019, 2:12:41 AM
Last bumped on Dec 18, 2018, 5:28:41 PM
Cant wait, this looks awesome
would be incredible if this could be implemented with an Indigon
Phase 1: Make D3

Phase 2: ?

Phase 3: Profit
Last edited by TheFalls212 on Oct 27, 2018, 10:22:48 PM
Update
-Full Build Guide Released!

Are you playing standard and looking for something even better? Check out the expensive legacy gear version:
[3.4-Legacy Gear] Scold's Cast on Attack Cyclone Spell Nova| 48 Spells & 200 Projectiles a Second | 7k EHP | T16 Guardians Viable
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2239173/

"
TheFalls212 wrote:
would be incredible if this could be implemented with an Indigon

Unfortunately that's impossible with the way this build works.
Please message me on Discord from the MF Academy instead of PMing me on the forum.
Last edited by SodaPop9 on Oct 28, 2018, 6:17:04 PM
Update
-Updated leveling section with info on how to level with this build instead of another one.
-Added info on how to acquire an Elder Praxis ring:
"If you can't find one for sale, buy any item level Elder Paua ring, then chance and scour it until you get a unique (Praxis is 1 of 3 possible Paua uniques). It took me about 30 chance orbs to get an Elder Praxis, but your results may differ."

Looking For a Video of this build in action! If you have any gameplay of this build, please send me a link to it so I can show it here.
Last edited by SodaPop9 on Nov 6, 2018, 10:22:30 PM
Ignore this. Dead build due to Zerphi's Last Breath changes.
Last edited by SodaPop9 on Dec 18, 2018, 5:32:07 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info