[3.4][Guide]Caustic Arrow Initital Hit/Chaos explosion

With the recent changes to Caustic Arrow in 3.4 it has become much stronger and can also be run in differnt ways, most people have been going with the dot route, but this is another route, that works just as well and plays faster.

This Caustic Arrow build is focused around the initial hit and explosion, while the dot still does great damage in combination with bleed and poison.

Tree:

www.poeurl.com/b4EJ

Ascendency:

We take Deadeye here, we will get 80% chance to bleed and against bleeding targets we'll get 80% crit chance and 40% crit multiplier.
We also get a 100% chance to pierce with another 100% crit chance.

Gem Links

Spoiler

5L Bow/Chest: Caustic Arrow, Vicious Projectiles, Withering Touch, Void Manipulation, Greater Multiple Projectiles

6L Bow/Chest:

Option 1 add: Conc Effect for bosses and inc AOE for clearing.
Option 2 add: Maim Support

Option 1 has better boss dps and AOE clearing, but does require you to switch gems.

4L: CWDT, Immortal Call, Despair and Increased duration
3L: CWDT, Ice Nova (You can really use any spell you want), Blight (Increases chaos damage)
2L: Blink Arrow, Faster Attacks
1 slot: Blood Rage, Ice golem

Auras: Haste & Herald of Agony (Herald of Agony gives 20% extra poison chance which puts us at a 100%)

Gear:

Current Gear:

Spoiler

Flasks:

Spoiler

Gear to look for:

Spoiler

Gear listed in priority. Depending on which setup you're going with, you would either want strength or intelligence.

Crit multiplier is always preffered.

Bow: Chin Sol, there's nothing better. Even high Phys bow with 380+ dps and high crit is not as good.
Chest: Cherrubim's Maleficence, Rare chest with high life and resists
Gloves: Rare with Added phys dmg, attack speed, high life, resistances, projectile dmg and leech.
Boots: High life, Resists, movement speed.
Rings&Amulet: High life, added phys dmg, resistances, crit chance & multiplier, leech.
Helm: Helm with Nearby enemies have -9% chaos resistance, high life and resistances, see crafting section. Starkonja's is a good and cheap alternative.
Quiver: Drillneck or quiver with High life, crit chance and multiplier, added phys dmg and resistances.
Belt: Stygian Vise with High life and resistances
Abyss Jewel: High life, crit chance, crit multi and add phys dmg
Jewel: Increased life, crit multiplier, crit chance.
Flask: Dying Sun, Silver Flask, Diamond Flask and Atziri's Promise.

Lab enchants: 40% Caustic Arrow Damage on Helm

Crafting:

To make the helmet with "Nearby Enemies have -9 chaos resistance" you need:

Potent Chaotic Resonator
Aberrant Fossil (More chaos mods)
Pristine Fossil (More life mods)

Roll a good base helm a few times and you'll get a decent one rather easily.

Videos:

I've uploaded a quick video to show some simple gameplay, it's only of a tier 10 map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwurQUTaqPM

This is with the maim setup, the other setup, with Inc Aoe and Conc effect is better, but I do not currenly have the gear(intelligence) to run that (Friend does).

If I can find the time tomorrow i'll upload gameplay of a t15/t16 map and perhaps some bosses.

IGN: Bluewy
Last edited by Tc662 on Sep 7, 2018, 6:12:47 PM
Last bumped on Nov 28, 2018, 8:23:45 AM
reserved
this is exactly what i wanted my league starter to be, but i will say that leveling up while focusing the DoT is much faster and easier. its less mana, more damage, and a lot easier to gear for (any dot is since it has its own base damage and not dependent on a good weapon).

however, i scraped the char relatively quickly. toxic rain just does it much better and easier than caustic arrow explosions. toxic rain hits when you shoot it, and when the pods explode - and the aoe of the explosions is actually very large even without any modifications to it. much more than caustic arrow.

i think you could basically do the exact same thing but with toxic rain and come out miles ahead. you also get the benefit of its slow. the only thing that is a negative is its duration, which of course is somewhat offset because of its slow

otherwise i commend you for doing this and making it work well. the damage can be very high.
since i kept my char focusing on the DoT, im really thinking of making a new one focusing the hit again (but again using TR over CA). either way, its essentially the exact same build. but im not sure TR can consider to "pierce", so that would be one negative, in way of deadeye anyway.

be epic if you could get a vid or two. clear speed and boss dps examples. would like to see how it looks with such gear.
"
xMustard wrote:
this is exactly what i wanted my league starter to be, but i will say that leveling up while focusing the DoT is much faster and easier. its less mana, more damage, and a lot easier to gear for (any dot is since it has its own base damage and not dependent on a good weapon).

however, i scraped the char relatively quickly. toxic rain just does it much better and easier than caustic arrow explosions. toxic rain hits when you shoot it, and when the pods explode - and the aoe of the explosions is actually very large even without any modifications to it. much more than caustic arrow.

i think you could basically do the exact same thing but with toxic rain and come out miles ahead. you also get the benefit of its slow. the only thing that is a negative is its duration, which of course is somewhat offset because of its slow

otherwise i commend you for doing this and making it work well. the damage can be very high.
since i kept my char focusing on the DoT, im really thinking of making a new one focusing the hit again (but again using TR over CA). either way, its essentially the exact same build. but im not sure TR can consider to "pierce", so that would be one negative, in way of deadeye anyway.

be epic if you could get a vid or two. clear speed and boss dps examples. would like to see how it looks with such gear.

Thank you for your comment, I have tried toxic rain, but it doesn't fit my play style and also didn't really work with my current setup. I'm not sure if it would be better as I haven't done my research on that.

I've uploaded a quick video to show some simple gameplay, it's only of a tier 10 map: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwurQUTaqPM

This is with the maim setup, the other setup, with Inc Aoe and Conc effect is better, but I do not currenly have the gear(intelligence) to run that (Friend does).

If I can find the time tomorrow i'll upload gameplay of a t15/t16 map and perhaps some bosses.
Last edited by Tc662 on Sep 7, 2018, 5:48:59 PM
oh nice!
damage looks very good. even with maim as a 6th link. damn.

thats badass dude, good job
This build is actually really cheap to start with, but still scales into very high-end. Getting Chil Sol + Drillneck + Starkonja's is all you need and even from there you can start without them.

Levelin with basically any bow -> Death's Harp -> Infractem -> Chin Sol is really easy path for leveling.

"
xMustard wrote:

What comes to this, I tried Toxic Rain early on, but the dps didn't feel as great as Caustic Arrow.
Also comparing these 2 skills feels like previously comparing Tornado Shot to Blast Rain, from these 2 I always prefered TS for my playstyle.
do you mean in initial hit stuff?

i think i may need to make a char and try this out again and compare the two. caustic arrow does seem great, and the aoe boost from pathfinder would really make it amazing, but toxic rain just seems like it would hit way more often and stuff. like a chaos explosion arrow
plus the base aoe on toxic rain pod explosions is insanely large.

also with toxic rain you wouldn't need to use gmp/lmp/volley or whatever, where as with caustic arrow you do in order to get overlapping aoe

only thing is a build like this is really going to suffer defensively, eventually.
What did you chose in the Bandit quest?
"
sullon79 wrote:
What did you chose in the Bandit quest?

I choose the 2 skill points.
Interesting Build, i'll give it a shot.

On which lvls do i need to use the cwdt setups?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info