Automated Trading!!!

Some people may think that this is just whining, but frankly I'm baffled that the player base should have to be asking for this feature.

Given Neversink's recent data, which Chris Wilson himself has acknowledged, it seems that over 80% of the player base are mainly solo players.

That means (if they are anything like me) we eschew contact with other players for the most part because we just want to lose ourselves in the game.

*We don't want the drama of haggling.
*We don't want to be ripped off when someone tries to item switch scam us during a trade.
*We don't want to be negotiating 'item for item' swaps (which even POETrade now has a banner warning that such trades are probably scams!).
*We don't want to be wasting our time messaging players, who are invariably afk or are too busy actually playing to respond. Let's face it, the buyers wish they were playing too!

Can we PLEASE now have an automated trade system implemented, so that we don't have to stop actually playing the game we love playing just so we can make some currency in an attempt to complete a build?
This is especially true in limited time leagues. I know that some people will probably just tell me to 'Git Gud', but an auto trade system would benefit everyone.

I accept that there are a lot of items in the game (arguably too many!) and I also get that this is a way to sell MTX (especially Stash Tabs and I don't even bear you any ill will for that), but trading is a chore and one of the lowest points in an otherwise great game.

Some of us find it difficult enough to accrue currency without having to jump through the hoops the current trading system places on us. The last thing we want to be doing is dealing with a disruptive trading system which breaks the immersion.

Also, I simply don't believe that there is no way to do this that doesn't break the game. Sure D3 got it (really) wrong with the RMAH, but Everquest was doing automated trading in 2001!!! So long as it was reasonably priced, I think a lot of people would even buy specific Stash Tabs to enable this sort of system! Of course, I'm sure the player base would prefer to see equal access to this kind of thing without the need for potentially punitive MTX purchases.

Please, just give us a way to sell without having to babysit it and let us play the game.

Many thanks.
Last bumped on Aug 30, 2018, 9:41:56 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
The GGG Trade Manifesto has some information you might find interesting. Also, this topic comes up almost every day. There's a lot of back and forth points of view, not all of them trolling, that you might also want to peruse. They are probably still on the first page of posts in GD and F&S. Here are some examples from just today:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2200619
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1960007
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2197883

The last one is my favorite. ;)

I'm predicting this thread will devolve into the same arguments rehashed for the umpteenth time but it's futile to try and stop it.

Edit: Forgot one... this one has some decent suggestions I think but it's fallen off the first page (finally):

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2120550
POE Serenity Prayer: GGG, grant me the serenity to accept the RNG I cannot change,
the courage to challenge any unbalanced content, and the wisdom to avoid the forums.
Mad: "Oh, it's simple and if you insist... I just think you're a dick. That's all."
QFT: 4TRY4C&4NO
Last edited by Phaeded on Aug 27, 2018, 6:53:45 PM
"
elderwood wrote:
*We don't want to be ripped off when someone tries to item switch scam us during a trade.
*We don't want to be negotiating 'item for item' swaps (which even POETrade now has a banner warning that such trades are probably scams!).
*We don't want to be wasting our time messaging players, who are invariably afk or are too busy actually playing to respond. Let's face it, the buyers wish they were playing too!

Great words!

I hope someone will put those in reddit thread so devs can read it and see how many upvotes it will collect.
retired from forum because of censorship and discrimination
@Phaeded
Thank you for the links. I did go back and read the 'manifesto' but it is over a year old now, and seem hopelessly self contradictory.
I hoped to make my points in the light of Neversink's finding, but I'll happily peruse your links.
Thank you.

"
"
elderwood wrote:

Great words!

I hope someone will put those in reddit thread so devs can read it and see how many upvotes it will collect.

Thank you for your kind words, far kinder than I expected!

Could you direct me to the thread you mean please?
"
We don't want to be negotiating 'item for item' swaps (which even POETrade now has a banner warning that such trades are probably scams!

How is it happening can someone explain?
"
pphnx wrote:
"
We don't want to be negotiating 'item for item' swaps (which even POETrade now has a banner warning that such trades are probably scams!

Simple - Im going to contact you, telling you I wanted to buy whatever item.
But instead of paying you amount x Im going to offer you another item of similar or slightly higher value (according to poe.trade). So it looks like a good deal.

Problem is, those items usually never sell so they are practically worthless.
Even worse: It might be an item with an artificially high price on poe.trade, if a small group of players manages to own all copies of this item on the market and can therefore ask whatever price they want, even when the price isnt reflecting its actual value.

But this isnt a scam you cant protect yourself from.
Just ask for the currency you listed the item for and if the other guys refuses to pay - kick him out.

As always: Use your brain and you should be good
"
elderwood wrote:
Spoiler
"
"
elderwood wrote:

Great words!

Thank you for your kind words, far kinder than I expected!

Could you direct me to the thread you mean please?

Some misunderstanding was happened, my apologizes for that. By 'putting your words in reddit thread' I meant feedback will be delivered to devs more likely via reddit but not via game's own forum.
retired from forum because of censorship and discrimination
Last edited by DivineChampion on Aug 28, 2018, 1:17:07 PM
"
elderwood wrote:
Thank you for the links. I did go back and read the 'manifesto' but it is over a year old now, and seem hopelessly self contradictory.

I don't find many contradictions in there myself and I agree with most of their unintended consequence arguments but I guess my real point is, GGG has not changed their stance. Therefore, any suggestions regarding automatic or asynchronous trading will need to fit within their point of view. If the suggestions do not then they are non-starters and simply amount to argument fodder for the forums. Any suggestion that takes the transaction time down to zero seconds has no chance of being implemented. Any attempts to make recommendations like that are really just a waste of time. If we could get a critical mass of players working on a proposal that eases some of the frustrations of trading while not completely contradicting GGG's philosophy regarding trading we might make more progress. Asking for instant trades or auction houses is probably counterproductive. GGG will see titles with "AH" or "automated trading" and simply ignore them because they all, literally, say the same thing that they've already disagreed with formally by posting the manifesto. If they were being swayed at all they'd update it.

So while I understand your motivation and agree with your intent I think the suggestions are unlikely to generate any interest from GGG. If that is the goal anyway. Sorry to be so pessimistic but years of these types of posts should teach us something.
POE Serenity Prayer: GGG, grant me the serenity to accept the RNG I cannot change,
the courage to challenge any unbalanced content, and the wisdom to avoid the forums.
Mad: "Oh, it's simple and if you insist... I just think you're a dick. That's all."
QFT: 4TRY4C&4NO
Last edited by Phaeded on Aug 28, 2018, 2:35:56 PM
"
Orbaal wrote:
"
pphnx wrote:
"

Simple - Im going to contact you, telling you I wanted to buy whatever item.
But instead of paying you amount x Im going to offer you another item of similar or slightly higher value (according to poe.trade). So it looks like a good deal.

Problem is, those items usually never sell so they are practically worthless.
Even worse: It might be an item with an artificially high price on poe.trade, if a small group of players manages to own all copies of this item on the market and can therefore ask whatever price they want, even when the price isnt reflecting its actual value.

But this isnt a scam you cant protect yourself from.
Just ask for the currency you listed the item for and if the other guys refuses to pay - kick him out.

As always: Use your brain and you should be good

wow. Do you given an any example of that item? high price on poe.trade but no market?
"
elderwood wrote:
I hoped to make my points in the light of Neversink's finding

While I support automated trading, what did Neversink find?
PoE players: Our game has a wide diversity of builds.

Also PoE players: The [league mechanic] doesn't need to be nerfed, you just need to play a [current meta] build!

MFers found strength in their Afflictions. They became reliant on them. I am not so foolish.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info