Herald of Purity support gems

Can we support Herald of Purity the same way we support other minions (i.e. Melee Phys, Minion damage, Minion speed, etc)? Will it have a minion tag?

If so, I feel like the effect the support gems have on Herald of Purity’s mana reservation should be reduced. A 4L Herald of Purity could be an interesting addition to a melee build as an alternative to a totem.
Last bumped on Oct 14, 2018, 5:40:23 AM
Well, let me just quick hack into GGG's release build and check out the tags on the gem.
"Into the Labyrinth!
left step, right step, step step, left left.
Into the Labyrinth!"
Assuming the tags are "cast, duration, minion" I would probably do something like HoP, Maim, Curse on Hit, Curse. If they stay slow as shit... maybe minion speed (which may be a wasted link anyway)

Not sure if there is a point in buffing duration.

This is all guesses though.
Every other Herald skill reacts the way one would expect it to for support gems. Spell damage works on them, AoE works on Ice and Ash, duration works on them. I see no reason why a Herald that summons minions would any different than any other skill that summons minions, or any other Herald that can be supported by things which would feasibly support them.

Simply be prepared for the reservation cost to be pretty heckin' burly, unless NuGuardian has a node to reduce that cost.
"
SleepyXtreme wrote:
Can we support Herald of Purity the same way we support other minions (i.e. Melee Phys, Minion damage, Minion speed, etc)?

It summons minions, therefore all gems that can support minion skills will apply to the herald. All gems that can support single-target or AoE melee attack skills will apply to the default attack and slam of the minions.

"
Will it have a minion tag?

Likely; although this is irrelevant in determining what supports it. It summons a minion, so minion-specific support gems can support it. (And gems can support skills the minion uses, where applicable.) Which tags the skill has doesn't matter.

You might get some cute interactions with +level to minion gems on a helmet boosting the flat added damage from the herald though, even if you don't care about the minions.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Aug 22, 2018, 8:04:31 PM
keep in mind what mana multipliers do with heralds, or % based mana reservation skills.

i doubt this skill will be worth supporting and reserving all of your mana for it, unless there is some type of less mana reservation modifier with the guardian ascendancy. that could be cool, getting a 6-7L for this herald
There is always The Coming Calamity if you want to invest heavily into a herald and not have to worry about mana reservation.

I am still not sure how viable this will be as a main skill. Keep in mind that it requires you to kill things yourself to spawn the minions. Kills by your minions (even the Purity minions) do not count. Aside from shenanigans with Writhing Jar and such, you will want a formidable main attack skill to spawn them anyway. And if they end up being too powerful, they start stealing your kills and prevent you from spawning more.

Maybe the skill would be better if it worked like Dominating Blow, in that it places a debuff on the enemy, and if the enemy dies from any cause while affected by the debuff it spawns the minion. But then it might end up being too powerful for pure minion builds. I don't know, I'm not a game designer.

In the end it might be better to just focus on the added physical damage, run a standard attack skill build, and only keep the minions around as bonus fodder. We will have to see how strong the minions themselves are. Tossing in a Maim support might not be that bad, for only 3% extra reserved mana. Or Chance to Bleed, and combine with Bloodlust in your main attack link.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Aug 22, 2018, 10:20:45 PM
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
There is always The Coming Calamity if you want to invest heavily into a herald and not have to worry about mana reservation.

I am still not sure how viable this will be as a main skill. Keep in mind that it requires you to kill things yourself to spawn the minions. Kills by your minions (even the Purity minions) do not count. Aside from shenanigans with Writhing Jar and such, you will want a formidable main attack skill to spawn them anyway. And if they end up being too powerful, they start stealing your kills and prevent you from spawning more.

Maybe the skill would be better if it worked like Dominating Blow, in that it places a debuff on the enemy, and if the enemy dies from any cause while affected by the debuff it spawns the minion. But then it might end up being too powerful for pure minion builds. I don't know, I'm not a game designer.

In the end it might be better to just focus on the added physical damage, run a standard attack skill build, and only keep the minions around as bonus fodder. We will have to see how strong the minions themselves are. Tossing in a Maim support might not be that bad, for only 3% extra reserved mana. Or Chance to Bleed, and combine with Bloodlust in your main attack link.

Unless something changed CtB doesn't work with minions.
Right; that's true - I keep forgetting about that. Not sure why it is like that either.
Well I’m thinking of 6L dominating blow in gloves (maybe with faster attacks/chance to bleed?) with dual scourges as my main damage dealer then 6L herald of purity with The Coming Calamity armor.

Then to make sure I kill vs the minions, i’ll having culling strike incorporated somewhere.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info