[3.3] Manacrank; Xirgil's Crank Indigon Ball Lightning Occultist

The Big Numbers
75% Block and Spell Block
3000+ Energy Shield Recharge
A few million dps

Motivation
People who I play with have figured out by now that I love builds assembled around all kinds of gimmics. This project started out as a combination of two gimmicky builds I have made before: a Xirgil's Crank Occultist and an Indigon Hierophant.

The old Xirgil's Crank build kitted out with Blightwell and everything is the most durable ultra-defensive build I have ever had but the damage it gets from ED/Contagion or Scorching Ray is not very impressive, going up to maybe 400k dps at best so it can beat Shaper and Über Atziri but not Uber Elder.

My Indigon Hierophant Manaramp with its Gloomfang-boosted Magma Orb gets some of the most obscene single target dps available in PoE, but it takes attention to play since you need to manually dodge some big hits that can't be taken several in a row.

Manacrank is my attempt at combining the defensiveness of max block Xirgil's Crank with the offense of Indigon. The end result isn't as defensive as a pure cranker nor does it get as much dps as a mana Hierophant, but it is still extremely durable and has extremely good dps. I have successfully beaten all content with it at the modest budget I had available in Flashback and it was very fun and easy to play, so I decided to share the build.

Viability
I have beaten Über Elder with this in Incursion Flashback with imperfect gear, and it wasn't even very difficult. This is more of a boss killer than a map clearer, but it can clear content reasonably fast too. I just wouldn't use it to farm currency in low tier maps or anything like that.

If I played Hardcore, I would do it with this build. Getting my hands on Shavs, Indigon and a Watcher's Eye might just not be as simple in HC as it is in Softcore.

Links
https://pastebin.com/dfCMyqF9 Path of Building at the time of my first Üelder kill
Skill Tree for level 94
Direct link to the character in my profile
Video of Ũelder kill

Key Items

Xirgil's Crank enables reliable energy shield recharge, which is kept going by Wicked Ward with Vaal Discipline as backup for emergencies. This makes the character amazingly hard to kill.

Reckless Defense makes it possible to reach maximum block and spell block.

Indigon is one of the most broken items at the moment in PoE. With enough mana to spend, it can give your build several thousand Increased Spell Damage. With an investment into some mana and an Indigon, it doesn't really matter that I have defensive items in slots and sockets that are usually needed for scaling damage. This build can ramp up to around 2000% increased damage, while Hierophants easily beat 5000% or more, but this is still enough for some millions of damage.

Other Gear

I have a Healthy Mind jewel giving tons of extra mana.

I am currently using a Red Nightmare jewel to get some block, but you might be able to free up the last and most expensive jewel socket if you get an amulet with a block corruption instead.

I like to use a Pure Talent jewel to get some more mana regeneration, attributes and penetration.

A good Watcher's Eye is almost mandatory to scale some more Energy Shield from my mana pool. Mine has Lightning Penetration as the other mod, but there are several alternative mods that'd work as well or even better. Just search for any combination with Clarity's ES mod and acceptable Wrath, Clarity and Discipline mods and pick the cheapest.

The Increased Energy Shield Recharge Rate from a Bated Breath is extremely good and I have a hard time imagining I'd use any other belt, but its still not absolutely mandatory to make the build work.

Impresence is very convenient for its flat damage and free Conductivity, but a Bligtwell or a good rare would be better defensively.

With Shavs I can afford to put some auras in my life since I can't afford to reserve much mana. A rare Vaal Regalia with Chaos Inoculation would give more Energy Shield, but I don't know what I'd do with the auras.

Dream Fragments is not essential, but its just very convenient to have. Your other ring should be an Elder item with Warlord's Mark on hit to get some mana leech unless you get some from your Watcher's Eye. With a CI setup you might have to squeeze in an Essence Worm somewhere.

My boots and gloves are just the best rares I could find at the moment with ES, mana and resists. Some block chance on the gloves is a nice bonus.

Flasks

The fifth flask is optional. I haven't decided what I want in that slot yet.

Skills
Ball Lightning - Spell Echo - Controlled Destruction - Slower Projectiles - Arcane Surge - Empower/Elemental Focus
Ball Lightning is my spell of choice since it deals damage for a time after having been cast, which is convenient considering the varying amount of damage increase I get from Indigon while casting. I could also imagine using Magma Orb or Firestorm, which share the benefit. Level 4 Empower will be better than Elemental Focus.

Conductivity - Blasphemy - Enlighten - Discipline
Discipline is absolutely mandatory since I'd always prefer to have more ES with how well this build scales with its health pool. Blasphemy is viable only if you use an Impresence.

Wrath - Clarity - Blood Magic - Enlighten
Wrath for damage and Clarity for both defense and damage. Not much to say here.

Lightning Warp - Faster Casting - Less Duration - Swift Affliction
Got to go fast.

CWDT - Immortal Call - Lightning Golem - Ice Spear - Inc. Crit.
Immortal Call so I don't die to porcupines, golem for even more dps and Ice Spear to make my Elemental Overload slightly less inconsistent.

Bandits
I definitely want 2 skill points, since the skill tree has to be stretched tight to get all of the mana and jewel sockets.

Areas for Improvement
Some levels for Celestial Judgement would be nice.

A level 4 Empower would be nice.

More Energy Shield from better gear would be nice.

A Ball Lightning AoE enchantment on the helmet would be beautiful.

Simple Leveling Guide
Xirgil's Crank and Reckless Defences can be equipped at level 22, so you can start playing the build as it is very early on. You can use any spell you think is cool until you get an Indigon, but after that point you will have to start worrying about the skill's interactions with the mana ramp.

You should be able to reach maps on a budget, but to enter the endgame you will need to invest into Indigon, Shavs and a Watcher's Eye, so there is a bit of a threshold that can be surprisingly expensive to cross. This was my only character in Flashback, but needing to grind currency with imperfect gear in between early game and the endgame was not very fun, so I'd recommend this only once you have made some money with a cheaper build first.
Last edited by thegagis on Aug 20, 2018, 8:09:29 AM
Last bumped on Apr 1, 2019, 10:58:48 PM
"
squidhead wrote:
Have you thought about adding blightwell?

My original cranker Vivahde uses a Blightwell and its absolutely amazing. For now I am enjoying the free Blasphemy too much but I'll test it with that too once this character hits Standard.

The above link might break, since I am thinking of merging the gear from these characters to one of them and deleting the other.
Have you tried this against HoGM?
"
Have you tried this against HoGM?
Not yet since my only l21 Reduced Block Chance Support is in Standard. The Indigon-less Scorching Ray build with Xirgil's Crank can clear HoGM easily, but Ball Lightning is likely to have issues with the Aegis Aurora and CWDT builds.

This version could probably do it just by weapon swapping to a Scorching Ray setup too. Most defensive builds can clear it with a weapon swap.
Gagis is one of my favourite People to discuss builds with - and this here is another fruit of his! I have seen it working and in action - works as advertised.

What the UberElder Video doesnt show that well is how incredibly tanky this build is. Against normal maps bosses or just whatever monsters (Delve!!!) the recharge rate of his shield is constantly triggered (can't be interrupted too due to Occultist) and the Cranky Witch is basically invulnerable. Not even Map Mods can stop that!
how about arc version instead of ball lightning?
"
superis wrote:
how about arc version instead of ball lightning?
An Arc version should also work. The upsides to arc are better clear and smooth game play experience. The downside to arc is that it does damage immediately with whatever spell damage increase you happened to have at that moment.

The reason why I like Ball Lightning is that even if I end up spending all of my mana to reach highest possible damage, the last and biggest ball lightnings I have managed to cast will keep floating there doing tons of damage while my mana recovers and I reposition. Magma Orb and Firestorm have the same advantage.

One possibility would be to do away with one of my secondary skills and replace it with 4-link Arc for fast clearing and using 6-link ball lightning for single target.
Can you explain where you're getting 'millions of DPS' from? I pulled up your PoB and the DPS numbers are currently at 158k, and that's with 2,236% spell damage on Indigon (which is a good amount of ramping). Even if I push this up to a truly obscene 5,236% spell damage, the DPS only increases to 342k. I'm guessing the answer is something along the lines of you expect ball lightning to hit the same target multiple times per cast, so that 158k should actually hit ~5 times, but I'm just not seeing 'millions of DPS'.

In addition, it looks like it takes quite a while to ramp mana initially since your mana cost is only ~140 on ball lightning. Have you tried adding an aura totem to eat up a lot of mana initially, and if so, how did that go?
"
Tarvalon2 wrote:
Can you explain where you're getting 'millions of DPS' from? I pulled up your PoB and the DPS numbers are currently at 158k, and that's with 2,236% spell damage on Indigon (which is a good amount of ramping). Even if I push this up to a truly obscene 5,236% spell damage, the DPS only increases to 342k. I'm guessing the answer is something along the lines of you expect ball lightning to hit the same target multiple times per cast, so that 158k should actually hit ~5 times, but I'm just not seeing 'millions of DPS'.

In addition, it looks like it takes quite a while to ramp mana initially since your mana cost is only ~140 on ball lightning. Have you tried adding an aura totem to eat up a lot of mana initially, and if so, how did that go?

TL;DR: AttackSpeed is an actual multiplier - And Indigon breaks the Game on the 'increased Spellpower' department in a fundamental way.

One Ball Lightning attacks 5 Times per second. Each Ball Lightning Stays in Range for one target for about 2 seconds. Thats 10 Hits per Ball Lightning Cast. You cast over 5 Ball Lightnings a second.

150k Ball Lightning hit * 5 = 750k (thats how much DPS from one Ball Lightning)
750k * 2 = 1.5Mio (thats for the two seconds it can hit the same target)
1.5Mio * 5 = 7.5Mio (thats for how many Ball Lightnings you can cast in One Second.)
7.5Mio * 2 = 15Mio (thats for casting Ball Lightning for 2 seconds which is also the time the indidividual Ball Lightning stays in contact with one target.)

Actual DPS is probs half that since the ramp takes a bit and makes the initial couple Balls less impactful (heh). But it is fair to say - and a bit of an undersell- to say this build has a couple Million DPS.
Last edited by Cyrix1337 on Aug 21, 2018, 11:34:16 AM
Thank you for the breakdown, that's really helpful and starts to explain things. However, I don't think the math is quite right, but please correct me if I'm going wrong somewhere here. Also, none of this is to say the build is bad - your Uber Elder vid clearly shows this is capable of all content. I just don't think that the DPS is nearly as high as you're advertising (and if it was, I believe your Uber Elder kill would have been significantly faster).

Path of Building already accounts for cast rate, so in your ideal scenario, you still need to divide your damage by 5. Like you mentioned, the ramp takes a while to get close to the numbers we're listing, so let's divide that in half again for closer to actual DPS. Lastly, in order for ball lightning to stay in range for 2 seconds, you can't really miss and the enemy needs to remain stationary, correct? So when you're assuming 10 hits per cast, I think a more realistic number is likely between 3 and 6 hits. Let's say 5 to go on the high side, so divide in half again. This leaves us with a total of 7.5 million / 5 / 2 / 5 = 150,000 DPS, or 300,000 for casting over a 2-second span.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info