After a Month of Playing Grim Dawn

I took months away from PoE and then recently played Grim Dawn for the past month. After all this time away, I come back and PoE seems a whole lot easier than I remember. I feel like it has something to do with playing Grim Dawn, which sheds away a lot of the inconviences of PoE such as having to portal back to base with personal portals. In GD you can just portal to whatever hub point you want to. Also, inventory space is about 10-15x? bigger in GD than in PoE and all the items drop pre-identified so you can always compare all the loot on the floor with what you currently have equipped. The end result being that you spend all your time making gameplay and build relevant actions as opposed to worrying about inventory space or RNG when it comes to sockets and links.

My current character that I just made for this event is the most powerful character I've ever made. Is it because all the monsters were nerfed while I was away or were all the skills buffed? I think it's also because playing Grim Dawn helped to bolster my ARPG analytical mind.

Grim Dawn isn't perfect, but I've found several things that GD does better than PoE or at least more elegantly. Grim Dawn has a static world map - meaning that it isn't randomly generated like in PoE... PoE with it's history of strongboxes blocking important staircases, or triple doors inside of Solaris and Lunaris that lead to literally nowhere. GD's solution was more elegant in that they use a static world map, but they simply randomly change the possible pathway through said map. So if you have one map of Lunaris with 3 major paths and 3 minor paths. You can randomly open 1 major and 1 minor path on the same map and therefore cause the player to have to experience the map differently on each playthrough. Really elegant, and it allows for the game designers to make a more aestetically pleasing environment.

The crafting system is exactly what Beastiary and prophecy league have been TRYING to do. And there are other things.

Anyway, the Incursion league is actually pretty cool. It really rewards you for having an amazing build - which I currently do and clearing the temple actually gives you rewards so it's nice.

-Your illustrious Putin, you sack of Trumps

Last bumped on Aug 19, 2018, 11:19:57 AM
I never played Grim Dawn and i've posted threads about inventory/loot size problems, no bulk id like d3 and such. Anticipate "old school" players talking about how good the inventory and stash size in d2 was and the "joy" of skipping 99.9% of the loot to be 10% more "efficient" than the rest.

Idk if it's because i've played PoE too much but i don't feel like there is that much RNG in map layouts. Usually there is the main path of the map that is left unchanged (maybe rotated) and then "the branches" and connectors which have 3-5 variants. That GD system definitely sounds good.
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick
Last edited by IIPheXII on Aug 19, 2018, 4:12:11 AM
I don't see how playing another game would make this one any easier.
Poe's easiness depends a lot on what league you're playing and how you play (what tier maps, sc/hc, trading/ssf, meta or not ..etc)

peas

wolf
I played Grim Dawn a little and really disliked the concept of having monsters level up as you do. It means that levelling up technically makes you weaker, so you need to always be up to date on your equipment. And if you fuck up on your build or your equipment, there is no overlevelling to compensate.
The thing that PoE still has over Grim Dawn is its enourmous build diversity. And therefore it's seemingly endless replayability. I played GD for about a year and then I got fed up with it, while I've been playing PoE (actively) for over a year now and still have so many builds on my wish list. And still so many things to achieve, like beating Shaper and uber Atziri.

While GD is a very well done arpg, I think it cannot stand up against the longevity of PoE.

And regarding the so called "easiness" of PoE, I think this game has still a lot of things in store for you that are probably gonna smack you in the face. Seeing that your Incursion char is still level 60 something... I'd say, get to red maps first, guardians, shaper, and then come back telling how "easy" PoE actually is.
Last edited by bablo on Aug 19, 2018, 6:50:52 AM
"
I played Grim Dawn a little and really disliked the concept of having monsters level up as you do. It means that levelling up technically makes you weaker, so you need to always be up to date on your equipment. And if you fuck up on your build or your equipment, there is no overlevelling to compensate.

To be fair, this isn't exactly true (unless its changed in the recent past). Zones level with you but are also capped. So at some point you will outlevel zones and be able to farm them if your gear needs a boost. But running the multi-level dungeons like Steps of Torment and Bastion of Chaos just gives so much loot that I don't think i ever struggled with this.

It has only been a problem when I am trying to make a build that is specifically reliant on a legendary or a MI and I get unlucky farming it. The addition of crucible means you can actually just make a crucible farming char who, if built well, just brings in a ridiculous amount of legendaries.

~Myth
Grim Dawn only makes PoE feel easier because Grim Dawn has a horrible survivability standard that requires stuffing armor, health, 10 core resistances(among some others like Trap Resist and shit) and stupid stats like attack/defense effectiveness that scale your armor and attack upwards or downwards so your powerful build can fall to shit simply because you didn't also monitor a stat that isn't explained in a logical sense, armor effectiveness, and a load of other shit so you'll be getting your ass handed to you on a regular basis for no reason other than they want you to die...

And I don't die often in GD (thank god for life leech and Bleed stacking), but when I do it's because some part of their combat system allows a mob to one shot me because I didn't have a VERY SPECIAL part of gear in my build.

Auto-ID'd loot is only worth it if 90% of the loot isn't crap, and GD is PoE in that regard so you're constantly running into junk cluttering your screen regardless of the filter you have up.

Maps having the same pathing doesn't help when the maps are maybe 3x the size of PoE's maps and filled with ~60% less mobs...welcome to walking simulator.

PoE is easier because when you've done your job well they don't continue to punish you for anything other than your own mistakes, where as GD will continue to do it because you haven't been able to push up your gear for the new difficulty you just moved in to...and will continue to do so until you're in the highest one running a class combo that requires a twinked tank half instead of whatever you wanted to play.

Oh, and PoE's passive tree is leaps and bounds better designed...it would be cool if auto's were tied to passive keys, but it's better than having to unlock X amount of Y color in order to spend more points to get to a skill you now have to level for, oh I dunno, 2 days before it's worth the investment.
"
Mythkiller wrote:
(...)

It's true that I can backtrack miles away to go grind a lower level area, but the items found are going to be lower than the level of the current area, and any level gained is going to make the current area more difficult instead of more easy.
The concept is just plain weird. I fucked up my character because I didn't want to be bothered with too low rarity items and their exaggeratedly numerous different stats.
sorry guys the texts are too big can someone explain what discussions is going on in shortform? tldr
Last edited by dvasan on Aug 19, 2018, 9:42:01 AM
"
dvasan wrote:
sorry guys the texts are too big can someone explain what discussions is going on in shortform? tldr

tldr:

Grim Dawn is really good!

Yeah, but PoE is still better.

No, it isn't.

Yes, it is.

That should get you up to speed.
Wash your hands, Exile!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info