[3.5] Arc Totems/Blood Magic/Armor/Life

I really want to try this build! Looks interesting! How does it do on end-game bosses? Thank you for posting!
Hi there!

I am currently trying your build but I took the Retribution node instead of 15% totem placementspeed (near Ancestral Bond) for a bit more overall damage (Minion Dmg + Castspeed etc work for totems too if I understood another guide correctly).

Having a blast by now, you may take a peek at my char. (LibraExTempus)

In my bank I have sitting a Voll's Vision with very good rolls and an Doryani's belt with good rolls too. I am currently 65, so its 3 levels to go before I can use them. I think Voll's Vision will synergize well with the build overall.

When I am able to I'll probably buy one Essence Worm for a free Determination aka ~45-50% increased armor which helps MUCH with physical damage, 50% more armor is a lot! - I already do ok'ish damage with my totems, I don't need those 2 auras and I don't feel comfortable right now to give up the life regen and plus to that I absolutely cannot afford to lose those extra attribute points :D (Belly needs more Dex than we get through the tree, without the rings + 3 gems with 2x +8 to all att and a dex+ gem I would'nt even be able to wear it.)

I know that my amulet, gloves and boots are not optimal. I was searching for uniques that would fit, but at least for amulets (since I would concentrate more on survivability instead of damage, because I am kind of new to this game) I didn't find any comfortable solutions.

For Boots and Gloves, I am not sure which uniques would be viable.

I am using uniques because in the betrayal league most of the stuff is dirt cheap and I love unique stuff. All my uniques except one of the rings and doedres gloves that I found myself cost 1c or less, Voll's Vision I got for 1 alch. So it is absolutely affordable.

I got scammed on my Belly of the Beast, but that won't happen again, has good rolls too, but 6l it will probably be either extremely expensive or just very unlikely, plus the specific need for 5 blue and 1 red socket.

Tried doing the third ascendancy with level 65 and the current gear (it might changed before you saw my 65 stuff I wear), got surprised by that big fat dragon sitting in one of the rooms - I mean, who expects to see a "mini boss" where you expect only Whatshisname at 3 times? I've beat him. Would've probably been way worse if I hadn't a knockback mod from a hidden shrine :D

Becaaause... Whatshisname oneshot me in the third fight. I got him to about 10% but Lions Roar didn't really help and yeah... I think I got a bit overwhelmed by a bit of panic.

Anyways, as I said, I love your build. Especially because I am kind of mentally handicapped so your build is a good solution to bypass that. Oh, before I forget: I don't use dash + culling but Faster Casting, Less Duration and Lightning Warp. Has a bigger range I think which is why it is less unreliable if you don't pay attention to the range between the character and to-go point plus it saves your arse if you open a strongbox and pop teleport right before klicking it (needs a bit practise, you can remove less duration for convenience when opening a strongbox).

Plus the added cold damage adds nice damage (prefer over faster casting) plus it chills and freezes enemies often enough, really worth it I think.

Greetings, Libra aka LibraExTempus.

edit: Arc Totem currently sits at 2,4k dps (+ 50% lightning penetration at the very least which doesnt count towards it, I think) and have about 3,1k life.

edit2: Replaced amulet, gloves and boots, that made a huge difference for the Izario fight. Mainly because of the boots movement speed (and timing regarding totem placement, because he still hits hard and onehit me before with 3,5k hp) but I also have now 130% element resistance and 60% chaos resistance, almost 4k life, damage raised to 3,1kish. Tankiness will further increase with the marauder nodes ^^

But I will need to adjust resistances later I think, because we get another 15% element resistance from Diamond Skin and another 9% fire resist which would be 145 overall elemental resistance. And I'll need to look/save up for a good shield later on because I like playing safely with a shield more than additional damage through a second wand.
Want to play a beginner friendly, highly expandable and reliable build? Try WreckerOfDays' ! https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2606288 -- My Hideout -> https://hideoutshowcase.com/hideout/show/2881
Last edited by LibraExAnima on Jan 10, 2019, 3:36:19 PM
You could grab heart and soul early for some extra life% instead of the 5% life nodes or the life and chaos res nodes.
"
Rodna wrote:
You could grab heart and soul early for some extra life% instead of the 5% life nodes or the life and chaos res nodes.

While leveling I may grab heart and soul, but anything put into mana is a waste imo once you have Blood Magic. Yes it is a nice option early on, but I wouldn't bother. I personally would rather have the extra 8% chaos resistance. life is easy to get on gear, chaos resistance always is a struggle to cap, I try to at least have a positive chaos resistance. Go play some PVP and you will understand why.
Last edited by Aucuba057 on Jan 17, 2019, 7:46:14 AM
"
LibraExAnima wrote:
Hi there!

I am currently trying your build but I took the Retribution node instead of 15% totem placementspeed (near Ancestral Bond) for a bit more overall damage (Minion Dmg + Castspeed etc work for totems too if I understood another guide correctly).

Having a blast by now, you may take a peek at my char. (LibraExTempus)

In my bank I have sitting a Voll's Vision with very good rolls and an Doryani's belt with good rolls too. I am currently 65, so its 3 levels to go before I can use them. I think Voll's Vision will synergize well with the build overall.

When I am able to I'll probably buy one Essence Worm for a free Determination aka ~45-50% increased armor which helps MUCH with physical damage, 50% more armor is a lot! - I already do ok'ish damage with my totems, I don't need those 2 auras and I don't feel comfortable right now to give up the life regen and plus to that I absolutely cannot afford to lose those extra attribute points :D (Belly needs more Dex than we get through the tree, without the rings + 3 gems with 2x +8 to all att and a dex+ gem I would'nt even be able to wear it.)

I know that my amulet, gloves and boots are not optimal. I was searching for uniques that would fit, but at least for amulets (since I would concentrate more on survivability instead of damage, because I am kind of new to this game) I didn't find any comfortable solutions.

For Boots and Gloves, I am not sure which uniques would be viable.

I am using uniques because in the betrayal league most of the stuff is dirt cheap and I love unique stuff. All my uniques except one of the rings and doedres gloves that I found myself cost 1c or less, Voll's Vision I got for 1 alch. So it is absolutely affordable.

I got scammed on my Belly of the Beast, but that won't happen again, has good rolls too, but 6l it will probably be either extremely expensive or just very unlikely, plus the specific need for 5 blue and 1 red socket.

Tried doing the third ascendancy with level 65 and the current gear (it might changed before you saw my 65 stuff I wear), got surprised by that big fat dragon sitting in one of the rooms - I mean, who expects to see a "mini boss" where you expect only Whatshisname at 3 times? I've beat him. Would've probably been way worse if I hadn't a knockback mod from a hidden shrine :D

Becaaause... Whatshisname oneshot me in the third fight. I got him to about 10% but Lions Roar didn't really help and yeah... I think I got a bit overwhelmed by a bit of panic.

Anyways, as I said, I love your build. Especially because I am kind of mentally handicapped so your build is a good solution to bypass that. Oh, before I forget: I don't use dash + culling but Faster Casting, Less Duration and Lightning Warp. Has a bigger range I think which is why it is less unreliable if you don't pay attention to the range between the character and to-go point plus it saves your arse if you open a strongbox and pop teleport right before klicking it (needs a bit practise, you can remove less duration for convenience when opening a strongbox).

Plus the added cold damage adds nice damage (prefer over faster casting) plus it chills and freezes enemies often enough, really worth it I think.

Greetings, Libra aka LibraExTempus.

edit: Arc Totem currently sits at 2,4k dps (+ 50% lightning penetration at the very least which doesnt count towards it, I think) and have about 3,1k life.

edit2: Replaced amulet, gloves and boots, that made a huge difference for the Izario fight. Mainly because of the boots movement speed (and timing regarding totem placement, because he still hits hard and onehit me before with 3,5k hp) but I also have now 130% element resistance and 60% chaos resistance, almost 4k life, damage raised to 3,1kish. Tankiness will further increase with the marauder nodes ^^

But I will need to adjust resistances later I think, because we get another 15% element resistance from Diamond Skin and another 9% fire resist which would be 145 overall elemental resistance. And I'll need to look/save up for a good shield later on because I like playing safely with a shield more than additional damage through a second wand.

A lot to read there. Glad you're enjoying the build. As for uniques yes they are cheaper, but you will find better stats on the Rares for the most part. I try not to rely on the uniques all that much, except for the few listed, which tend to run fairly cheap as you said. And yes the dps is slightly lower than the Templar counterpart, this is made up for with the survivability it has over the Templar. I've played both, and even played a elementalist version of this build, and still find this one even though it lacks the dps as the other builds, dies less. I have stopped playing this build for the league, so as far as end bosses in this league I have not done any. Last league I was running elder and shaper runs, but mostly ran Delves. This league I've been playing on HC a bit more and testing some other builds, so playing to endgame this league is not in my priority list of things to do. But again, glad you are enjoying the build.
sorry about the delayed responses, I've been sick for the last couple weeks, and haven't been on much.
Last edited by Aucuba057 on Jan 17, 2019, 7:42:12 AM
"
Aucuba057 wrote:
"
Rodna wrote:

While leveling I may grab heart and soul, but anything put into mana is a waste imo once you have Blood Magic. Yes it is a nice option early on, but I wouldn't bother. I personally would rather have the extra 8% chaos resistance. life is easy to get on gear, chaos resistance always is a struggle to cap, I try to at least have a positive chaos resistance. Go play some PVP and you will understand why.

yes the mana is useless but there are some hanging 5% life nodes out there like the one next to barbarism and cruel preparation that lead to nothing, you can get an extra 3% life just by taking heart and soul instead of those so it's worth it for even after bloodmagic. I presume you would also respec from the resist nodes once you get overcap with gear. Would you grab unwavering stance since it's close or is that an overkill for 3 points?
"
Rodna wrote:
"
Aucuba057 wrote:
"
Rodna wrote:

yes the mana is useless but there are some hanging 5% life nodes out there like the one next to barbarism and cruel preparation that lead to nothing, you can get an extra 3% life just by taking heart and soul instead of those so it's worth it for even after bloodmagic. I presume you would also respec from the resist nodes once you get overcap with gear. Would you grab unwavering stance since it's close or is that an overkill for 3 points?

The node next to barbarism gives 3% to all resist. I prefer the resist over mana, and the extra % for life. I over cap my resist as much as possible to negate the adverse affects of reduced resistance mods in later game play (map rolls, and what not) But with all that said, when you're sitting on a life pool of just under 6k, what's 1% more life?
"
Aucuba057 wrote:

The node next to barbarism gives 3% to all resist.
well you could also just drop the ones from the scion wheel :D.

I'm only running 1 essence worm now so my resists are very fine(might not even run the 2nd one I feel like a rare ring is more useful than HoT) If I don't have 109 allres I usually just keep an extra flask in stash that has %ele resist roll for those maps. Speaking of, do you plan on adding a flask setup to the guide?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info