The video that got me hooked on poE.

"
Imaginaerum wrote:
I remember an old video linked on Diablo 3 forums where Chris was killing zombies with LMP Fireball and it looked like how I thought Diablo 3 was going to look

I remember D3's first gameplay trailer narrated by Jay Wilson. That's exactly what I thought D3 was going to be. Had runes too AFAIK.
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym
Last edited by monkuar on Jul 22, 2018, 9:53:30 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
monkuar wrote:
"
Imaginaerum wrote:
I remember an old video linked on Diablo 3 forums where Chris was killing zombies with LMP Fireball and it looked like how I thought Diablo 3 was going to look

I remember D3's first gameplay trailer narrated by Jay Wilson. That's exactly what I thought D3 was going to be. Had runes too AFAIK.

Yep, definitely had runes. I was incredibly excited for those, then Blizzard chickened out and made them level progression rather than drop-and-equip. That was announced during D3's closed beta, and it's when I quit D3's closed beta after 40 or so hours running to Leoric over and again and looked around for other ARPGs.

And that's when I found TotalBiscuit's video. He's directly responsible for not only every cent I threw at GGG but every cent a bunch of other people threw at GGG since I also bought just over a hundred closed beta keys for people in 2012, and I know quite a few of those later became regular supporters.

I mean, it's a drop in the ocean compared to how much money Kripp made for GGG in the closed beta (I'd say that figure clears 100k easily, just going by beta key sales spikes during the weekends he streamed) but still, TB's impact on an indie game he didn't really play all that much in the end is hard to overstate.

Yeah. Honestly now looking back, I believe Blizzard had that spiritual successor in their god damn hands. Something went catastrophically wrong during the time you have referenced. (obviously that wasn't the only thing, but just in this context). I was never really a part of the beta, was just extremely, and I mean extremely hyped after seeing that gameplay trailer. Hell, I think about 98% of D2 fans were.

Hell, you can even re-watch the trailer now and still get that "A true D3" vibe from it. That feeling is what is now lost. PoE came closest imo, however, they still have not captured the PvP paired with PvE addiction (leveling up doing baal runs, etc just to get that skill point, so you can feel the damage increase in the blood moor!). That kind of addiction. They certainly captured that aspect for PvE, but not for PvP.

And also the full man party stuff is lost because of the engine. Remember 8 player baal runs? I do. In PoE, you'd be lucky to have an enjoyable experience with 2 or more players at end-game maps.

I thought D3 was going to be it, but boy I couldn't be more wrong. It's sad really.

"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym
Last edited by monkuar on Jul 22, 2018, 10:42:35 PM
Oooohh... the morally incorrect slave girls on the globes, the very few choices in the options menu, etc. The shadows and lighting effects were already looking very good even in the beta. And then it's time for a huge OMG when he pulls up the passive tree. I didn't get into PoE until Dec. 2012 so seeing a 2011 passive tree is definitely a "wow" moment for how much it has evolved over the years.

Nice flash back moment to see an early beta PoE video. But I still cringe knowing just how awful playing PoE was before we got Deterministic Lockstep. Those were PoE: The Desync Years times. Good riddance forever to that.

Edit: 9 1/2 minutes from start of playing witch to Lioneye's Watch. Today's PoE (Go Speed Racer, go Speed Racer, Go Speed racer GO!... hey, GGG likes retro) is a far cry from those times of old PoE.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Jul 23, 2018, 10:16:35 AM
"
Arrowneous wrote:
But I still cringe knowing just how awful playing PoE was before we got Deterministic Lockstep.

To be honest, Lockstep isn't all you think it is. The actual revolution is the code revamp of the network code overall, not Lockstep per se. Predictive mode is so much better now, that you could almost claim that desync has been eliminated. I run on Predictive all the time, because the response time/latency is much better and it stutters far less. Average ping of 30-35ms so that's not the problem.
saw the first d3 trailers in 2012, read about poe in some d3 forums, watched the templar trailer and was hooked.

a dark and gritty arpg exactly to my taste. this was at a time when you usually got more deaths than hours played on your account even if you didn't push it very hard.

That's an oldie. Thanks for sharing..
It's free, quit complaining, and just play the game.
Sweet...makes me wish we could get a POE remastered.

RIP TB!
I've lost control of the controls...
Jesus take the wheel"
RAizQT during Kammel HC race
But now GGG devs have gone and sold out to a Chinese Mega-behemoth game company and destroyed their cool indie developer game image. So sad.  :(

But D3 in summer of 2012 was balance fucked to hell and beyond. D3 came out in mid-May and by July the economy was already screwed to hell with runaway inflation as the bots were farming gold 24/7 and the rest of the legit players who just wanted a better D2 arpg experience were not generating enough gold to afford the astronomical prices that quality items were selling for. I think I had about 20M gold and very good items (not even BiS) were selling for 50M+. It was a colossal disaster that Blizzard couldn't reign in the bots. Anyway, I found a Blizzard forum post talking up this other arpg called Path of Exile that I had never heard of until then. I registered On August 1, 2012 and was added to the CB key lottery. Got D3 patch 1.06 in early August so I could continue my build through to the end. Then I got Torchlight II on September 21st and played it in a trio party until mid November. Then I won a PoE CB key in early December so I gave it a go. Come January 2013 and I was hooked so before CB ended I bought my Kiwi pet as a future status symbol of playing longevity so now running around in towns anyone seeing my Kiwi will know I started in closed beta. Very cool!  :)
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on Jul 24, 2018, 12:31:35 AM
What a fun video to watch! thanks I_NO.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info