[3.4] AoF BV Chieftain | 1.1m+ Shaper DPS | 7k+ Life | Cheap

"
AreYouMadNow wrote:
Hey i have a question, have you tried anger instead of hatred dps wise? Because hatred with avatar of fire has only 50% effectiveness....

Anger is quite close, but it's still slightly less DPS at the end of the day.

"
Sha0Kahnn wrote:
mathil doing this exact thing now!

Can't say I'm too surprised - the sustain this build provides is pretty amazing and it's not exactly a tough one to piece together - I was quite surprised something like this hadn't already been posted.
i am a bit noob when it comes to builds, how do i know which weapons are the best ? what should i be looking for?
"
renji397 wrote:
i am a bit noob when it comes to builds, how do i know which weapons are the best ? what should i be looking for?

The primary things to look for are > 37% phys converted to fire and otherwise area fire danmage/fire spell damage. Top tier weapons should run a couple ex but "good enough" weapons should run 10-20c.
I like your build a lot, and I was going to test it out, but I have some interesting things to keep in mind

According to POB, your current links are not max damage output, especially because I feel spell echo is not necessary

I am attaching a different version that I thought was interesting. Using repentance gives you a free 7th link, but it's also worth noting that you're losing half of hatred's damage to AoF.

So, I tried removing the repentance gloves, replacing them with hrimsorrow (for half phys to cold) and then socketing cold to fire in the main skill links. This transfers half phys to cold, and all cold to fire. So we are no longer wasting any of hatred's damage, we can use a taste of hate to maximum potential, and we can get shaper weapons that output cold damage and use those to full effectiveness.

I tried respeccing to get all the endurance charges, and switch to the juggernaut ascendency. I did this because I felt it would add the most tankiness overall to the build. The damage is (somewhat unexpectedly) lower, but you also get your 7 endurance charges, and your regen is still good.

Overall, there is less damage, slightly more health, and somewhat less regen, but you get 7 endurance charges and a bunch of general tankiness from jugg.

Do you think this would be worthwhile for Hardcore players, to provide extra tankiness, or is it just unnecessary?

Also, disintegrator can be used as a "cheap" alternative to some shaper weapons, and the degen would be minimum if only using one shaper/elder item

POB: https://pastebin.com/1DHuMQRm
Last edited by noxora on Jul 22, 2018, 7:39:05 PM
"
noxora wrote:
I like your build a lot, and I was going to test it out, but I have some interesting things to keep in mind

According to POB, your current links are not max damage output, especially because I feel spell echo is not necessary

I am attaching a different version that I thought was interesting. Using repentance gives you a free 7th link, but it's also worth noting that you're losing half of hatred's damage to AoF.

So, I tried removing the repentance gloves, replacing them with hrimsorrow (for half phys to cold) and then socketing cold to fire in the main skill links. This transfers half phys to cold, and all cold to fire. So we are no longer wasting any of hatred's damage, we can use a taste of hate to maximum potential, and we can get shaper weapons that output cold damage and use those to full effectiveness.

I tried respeccing to get all the endurance charges, and switch to the juggernaut ascendency. I did this because I felt it would add the most tankiness overall to the build. The damage is (somewhat unexpectedly) lower, but you also get your 7 endurance charges, and your regen is still good.

Overall, there is less damage, slightly more health, and somewhat less regen, but you get 7 endurance charges and a bunch of general tankiness from jugg.

Do you think this would be worthwhile for Hardcore players, to provide extra tankiness, or is it just unnecessary?

Also, disintegrator can be used as a "cheap" alternative to some shaper weapons, and the degen would be minimum if only using one shaper/elder item

Spell Echo can absolutely be dropped. The cast speed felt slower than I cared for without it, but there's absolutely no reason you need to keep it (in fact, the 1.1m DPS number I quote relies on using Combustion in its place).

Hrimsorrow + Cold to Fire is a really interesting idea. I never actually specced that out, but if you've got the money to drop on double phys-convert shaper scepters that definitely sounds like it'd be an absurd amount of damage. My original goal was something relatively cheap, but it's definitely a great way to scale the build with investment.

The lack of leech on Juggernaut seemed really rough to me, but it's definitely possible it's a better HC alternative - don't really know on that one. I think it'd make a lot of sense if you wanted to sustain IC since you're already stacking a fair amount of Skill Effect Duration, and then the lack of leech wouldn't be nearly as important. I'd definitely give it a go if it seems interesting to you.

Disintegrator is totally viable, but IIRC the numbers favor the Cauteriser because of its built-in Culling Strike (and even then, for a similar amount of money you can get some phys-as-fire scepters for dirt cheap).

Also, I added the link to your Cold to Fire version in the main post - hope you don't mind.
Last edited by GovernorJebBush on Jul 23, 2018, 4:45:22 AM
"
"
noxora wrote:

Spell Echo can absolutely be dropped. The cast speed felt slower than I cared for without it, but there's absolutely no reason you need to keep it (in fact, the 1.1m DPS number I quote relies on using Combustion in its place).

Hrimsorrow + Cold to Fire is a really interesting idea. I never actually specced that out, but if you've got the money to drop on double phys-convert shaper scepters that definitely sounds like it'd be an absurd amount of damage. My original goal was something relatively cheap, but it's definitely a great way to scale the build with investment.

The lack of leech on Juggernaut seemed really rough to me, but it's definitely possible it's a better HC alternative - don't really know on that one. I think it'd make a lot of sense if you wanted to sustain IC since you're already stacking a fair amount of Skill Effect Duration, and then the lack of leech wouldn't be nearly as important. I'd definitely give it a go if it seems interesting to you.

Disintegrator is totally viable, but IIRC the numbers favor the Cauteriser because of its built-in Culling Strike (and even then, for a similar amount of money you can get some phys-as-fire scepters for dirt cheap).

Also, I added the link to your Cold to Fire version in the main post - hope you don't mind.

I don't mind at all, and if you look at my PoB link, I solved your leech problem too by putting warlords mark on the cwdt links as well as increased duration.

At lvl 1, cwdt should be proccing very often, leading to a lot of free leeching. On the other hand, if that isn't consistent enough for you, you could also get an elder ring with warlord's mark on hit (pricy, but an option)
Could Doon Cuebiyari a good choice as weapon? If so What would you use in the other hand?
Thanks for the guide Noxora. I've wanted to try a BV character since it got buffed but liked the idea of a tanky one. Only just got to maps so gear is pretty bad. Hopefully will get better by next weekend.

So far running main links of Vaal BV, Added Fire, Combustion, Fire Pen & Inc Dur.

I dropped an Ashrend early on and so the added fire seemed good. I suppose it become less useful if you have lots of other sources of additive damage? So far not seeing any added fire sceptres but I expect by next weekend a few more will be available.

I tried spell echo and it feels really nice cast wise but my damage got a little poopy! I switched back to combustion and damage now feels solid. I'll be looking to get a corrupted 6-link at some point so I can then put it back in or possibly do Inc AOE / Conc Eff instead.

I did wonder about using a Vaal RF for boss fights. Can you use two vaal skills at once, ie: Vaal RF & BV? I will try it out anyway as I just got the Vaal RF from a temple.

Got the lioneye's remorse drop and whilst the movement penalty is a little annoying I feel so much tankier with it. I've not played a flashback before and I've never experienced double beyond. It's really insane so I think going tanky is the way to go. Once shaped maces / sceptres becomes a thing then I can potentially drop it.....assuming I will be able to afford two!

Keeping an eye out on the tactician belt but it's really pricey atm. Also, the one time I did get wrecked in maps was to chaos spitters in an incursion. Insta-dead. Since then I dropped the stone golem which apparently can be an issue in incursions (???) and got a chaos res flask. Now incursions are a bit less scary. Ideally will look to get one good chaos res roll somewhere and then I may be able to drop the chaos flask. Hopefully get a sulphur flask instead. Still using a mana flask as well really just to pre-spin up BV prior to bosses and incursions. Maybe spell echo will deal with that so I can drop that too.

Anyway, thanks again for the guide - looking forward to seeing how this character does.
Tested build as a league starter for incursion flashback softcore league with some twist on my own.

Although slow but the build still work and scale well to mapping.

Lvling Detail
I start off with 2-hand ground slam, skipping Sunder since I got Vaal ground slam early.

Get and lvl Blade Vortex off Siosa at act 3, also lvl Combustion/Elemental Focus and Controlled destruction on free gem socket as soon as you can get them.

After act 4 which I get spell echo as a reward and got my Chieftain first ascendency (should be easy with Marauder), at lvl 40 I switched to blade vortex with one-hand + shield and proceed to shield charge through the rest of the acts. My 4-link being Blade Vortex + Controlled Destruction + Combustion + Spell Echo.

Lvl 40 skill tree with all key node if you get 2 passive point bandits (Elemental Overload + Avatar of Fire + 1 cluster of AoE/ Skill effect duration node)

Oak seem like a good bandit choice but I skip it this time.

0ne-hand weapon with Temple mod "of Topotante's" sure help a lot (and broken) on boosting damage early.

Currently lvl 80. My current gear is outdated but I will update them as soon I get my Uber Lab done for that 100% fire resist.

Gear

I am using The Nomad instead (although with that wasted attack projectile damage mod) because I need that dexterity. Will replace with the tactician (as soon the price drop) or rare strength belt. I am manually casting Flammability to proc Arcane Surge + Immunity to chill and freeze from Hrimnor's Resolve. I could possible handle up to T10 maps without any troubles with my budget gear. Need more ohm(damage) on gears though for red tier map since I am using BV so I need to go semi-melee range to my target = more danger.

Last edited by RobakoGarena on Aug 6, 2018, 5:34:27 AM
Hello Robako,

Interesting to see your gear and how you leveled. I similarly started off with ground slam but I had muled a BV from a Shadow so I switched to that at lvl 12.

Looking forward to seeing what sort of gear you go for and be interested to hear your experience with it. You look to be further on gearing wise than I am (really nice sceptre btw - was it expensive?)!

I have had to run a chaos flask atm. How much chaos res did you find stopped you getting annihilated by those damn spitters? I'm only in late white / early yellow maps but they still pack a massive wallop and quite often death if my flask goes down.

I am using vaal RF & vaal BV. Tends to melt bosses very quickly but the AI for the BV is a little wonky at times. It seems to love running after the one vaal construct in the corner of the room rather than going for the architects :(

I decided to go for the 100 fire res ascendancy rather than the covers enemies in ash node just to make my gearing easier / cheaper. Still 2 trials away from getting access to Uber and probably would like some better gear before attempting uber Izaro. I really suck at Lab but would like to make it through without a carry if possible!

Anyway, good luck :)
Last edited by DrHarvey12 on Aug 6, 2018, 1:33:46 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info