[3.3] Loate's (Almost) Immortal Tricolor Jugg - Guardians/Shaper/Yellow Elder

Hello everyone, and welcome back to another one of my stupid build guides! As always, if you want to read lore stuff I've written, you can find the last story with links to all the others here https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1651034.

Now, on to the build!

WARNING - This is NOT a clear-speed build. This is a build for when you've had an adult beverage, maybe five or six adult beverages, and you don't really want to think too hard while you're running around murdering all the pixels. With enough currency invested, you can probably get it going pretty fast, but this is a hipster build. You've been warned.

Videos

Spoiler
Atziri - https://youtu.be/Ae8gBrFMKds
Minotaur (can facetank) - https://youtu.be/5g-ZNDFMagQ
Chimera (can facetank except chaos snakes) - https://youtu.be/Kx-MdHyiLPY
Hydra (can facetank) - https://youtu.be/LNgg9eqXV5o
Phoenix (can facetank spin, not explosion) - https://youtu.be/dgeuPSlNyzk
Yellow Elder (can facetank all but slam) - https://youtu.be/d-XU5zVXdF8
Shaper (can facetank slam, not beam or balls) - https://youtu.be/_SSMyhhqR4o

1. SO WHAT DUMB THING ARE YOU DOING THIS TIME? MY EYES STILL HAVEN'T RECOVERED FROM THAT IDIOTIC FIREBALL TOTEM BUILD

Spoiler
You mean the Funpocalypse! https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1644837 (I should probably update this at some point)

Relax, this build's just a T H I C C J U G G with permanent Immortal Call uptime, damage using all three elements, and the ability to facetank *most* content in the game. I wouldn't exactly call it a "budget" build, as you'll need two Poet's Pens and a Scold's Bridle to get it going, but with some light farming those are easily obtainable. I would not recommend it as a league starter, but it's a fun second build.

2. I WATCHED THE VIDEOS. WAT IS HAPPENING?

Spoiler
The core mechanic of the build is the interaction between the Juggernaut ascendancy Unflinching (which makes you start generating Endurance charges when you take a hit), the unique helmet Scold's Bridle (which causes you to take damage when you use a skill, and yes this DOES count as taking a hit), and the unique wand Poet's Pen ability to cast a socketed spell when you attack. Basically, what happens is that whenever you use a skill, you'll start generating Endurance charges which then get consumed by your socketed Immortal Call to provide physical invulnerability. With a level 19 Immortal Call, one increased duration cluster from the skill tree, and four Endurance charges, your Immortal Call will last just over 4 seconds, and since the cooldown is 4 seconds, this means as long as you're attacking, physical damage cannot hurt you. Pretty neat, huh?

3. WHY ARE THERE SO MANY DIFFERENT COLORS? WHY DO YOUR BUILDS HATE EYEBALLS?

Spoiler
So our defense is pretty solid, but we have to engage in some shenanigans to actually create damage with this particular piece of art. Since we're using two Poet's Pens, this means spells are going to be our primary damage source. Now, we could go with Blade Vortex and Bladefall as the two spells (which I've tested and actually work just fine if you want to shift the tree around to focus more on spell damage and physical damage), but it's FAR more entertaining to make the screen look like a clown exploded.

This means we want to use ALL THREE ELEMENTS <airhorn sounds>

I decided to use Arc and Fireball, because Arc is obviously fantastic for clearing groups, and Fireball is the highest single hit Fire spell we can socket in the Pen. Now, the reason we want the highest damage single hit Fire spell is because we're going to be using Elemental Equilibrium to drop the enemy's resists, which means we can't use Firestorm's lots of little hits, Flameblast doesn't work in the Pen, and Flame Surge is the neglected stepchild that nobody loves (plus we don't have a means of igniting). Also, we get to use the Dragon Fireball skin, which is guaranteed to cause visioncancer!

For the piece de resistance, we also use Elemental Hit with two Combat Focus jewels forcing it into pure cold, because Elemental Hit is basically another spell that lies to you and calls itself an attack, and we need something to trigger the Pens.

4. I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS. WHAT DOES THE TREE LOOK LIKE?

Spoiler
Our passive tree is actually surprisingly focused (compared to what I generally put together), and also surprisingly durable.

PoE Website -

PoB Pastebin -

At level 90 you'll end up with 218% life from the tree, with two more 5% nodes to take for 91 and 92, and 159% mana, which when coupled with Mind over Matter, makes you verrrrrrry tanky. The goal is to get your EHP high enough that an elemental hit can't oneshot you, since you ignore all the physical damage coming your way, and other than the big slams (Elder Slam, Shaper Beam, etc.), you'll probably survive. You do have to watch out for multiple big elemental hits from groups, though (note my death in that Chimera video from the Kitava Magma Orb jerks), as well as chaos damage, but hey, you can't have everything.

5. ASCENDANCIES? BANDITS?

Spoiler
You'll want to grab Unflinching first, as the Endurance charge generation is very nice for leveling since it provides resists and phys mitigation. I recommend getting Unstoppable next, as immunity to stuns/freezes/chills is literally the best thing ever. Third, get Undeniable for the attack speed and accuracy, and finally finish off with Unbreakable, as it provides some regen, flat mitigation to all types, and you normally won't be on full charges due to the constant Immortal Calls going off.

For bandits, kill all three for the passive points.

6. GEAR. GEAR IS WHERE THIS ALL FALLS APART, ISN'T IT?

Spoiler
Like I said before, I don't know that this is a "budget" build, but it's not overly expensive. There are only three required items - two Poet's Pens, and a Scold's Bridle. In Incursion, you can get a Scold's for 1c, but availability may differ depending on the league.

Spoiler

You'll also need two Combat Focus jewels to confine Elemental Hit to cold only (which hopefully show up in the passive tree link).

The only other unique I would highly recommend acquiring when you get a chance is Loreweave, ideally an 80% resist version. This will cut your elemental damage taken by 20%, which is very nice. A five-link works fine, though obviously a six-link will give you some more damage.

Spoiler

As for other gear, I'm currently using Dance of the Offered, for the permanent Onslaught, but it's by no means required, and a decent pair of rare boots is probably better since it won't constantly drain your mana (what can I say, a hipster build needs hipster boots). I also bought a cheap Watcher's Eye with "gain Chaos Resistance while affected by Purity of Elements" and "gain damage taken as mana while affected by Clarity," but that's more of a luxury thing (the good news is that they're likely to remain cheap since hardly anyone uses those mods). Other than that, fill out the rest of your slots with life, mana, and resists, and ideally a pair of gloves with "Curse enemies with Elemental Weakness on hit" if you can find a pair for relatively cheap.

Spoiler

For flasks, uh, I guess use whatever makes you feel good. I don't play this game to play Guitar Hero.

Spoiler

7. I WON THE LOTTERY AND HAVE A BILLION EXALTS TO SPEND. HOW CAN I GO PLUS ULTRA?

Spoiler
Well, if you really want to take this thing to the next level, you'll want the following, ranked in order from easiest to acquire to hardest.
- Level 21 Fireball, 21/20 Vaal Arc, 21/20 Elemental Hit (2-3ex each, the Vaal Arc will likely be significantly more)
- Two Poet's Pens corrupted with "damage penetrates elemental resistance" (5-8ex each)
- Belt with cooldown reduction, life, resists (probably 5-10ex)
- Boots with cooldown reduction, life, resists, movespeed (probably 10-20ex)
- Opal Rings with life, mana, and resists (2-50+ex, depending on stats)
- Double corrupted Loreweave with +2 to AoE gems and +2 to Lightning/Fire/Cold (hahaha yeah right)

If you manage to track down and equip all of those, congrats. You're rich.

8. GEM LINKS. WHAT ABOUT THOSE?

Spoiler
These are actually pretty easy.

Poet's Pen 1 - Vaal Arc, Lightning Penetration, Controlled Destruction. We don't go Elemental Focus because we want the shocks.

Poet's Pen 2 - Immortal Call, Fireball, Combustion. You can use Fire Penetration instead of Combustion, but I like guaranteeing the Ignite for the 10% more damage on Ele Hit

Loreweave - Elemental Hit, Faster Attacks, Pierce, Weapon Elemental Damage, Elemental Focus, Cold Penetration. I like Elemental Focus here because we don't really care about the freezes, since any on-death effects (like porcupines) are already blocked by the Immortal Call.

Anywhere - Purity of Elements, Clarity, Enlighten. Heralds don't provide any benefit, since they disrupt Elemental Equilibrium, ditto for Wrath and Anger. Hatred is right out. If you can get your resists high enough without Purity of Elements, run Vitality instead and try to get a Watcher's eye with increased life regen rate (those are priiiiiicey though).

Anywhere - Phase Run, Increased Duration. It's like having a permanent Quicksilver flask on demand! So good! I usually put Faster Casting and Portal in there too, for utility.

Anywhere - Either Vaal Molten Shell, Concentrated Effect, Elemental Focus, Increased Duration, or a Golem + Decoy Totem utility setup. Totally up to you, VMS adds a bit more damage when you're facetanking a boss, golems and totems are just generally useful.

9. HOW DO I LEVEL WITH THIS?

Spoiler
Acquire two Poet's Pens and a Tabula. Equip at level 12, and socket literally any two spells you want. Faceroll.

10. WHY CAN'T I ONESHOT SHAPER AND UBER ELDER?

Spoiler
Because this isn't a busted-ass Frostferno full conversion Ele Hit build, it's a twirly mustache riding a reclaimed thrift store unicycle Ele Hit build for people who like to get belligerently drunk and play PoE but also don't like dying every other map. Enjoy!

11. WHY DID YOU USE ARC AGAINST ATZIRI SPLIT PHASE?

Spoiler
Did I not mention the drinking? I'm fairly certain I mentioned the drinking.
Last edited by Loate on Jul 2, 2018, 1:37:31 AM
Last bumped on Aug 14, 2018, 5:31:36 PM
reserved
Really nice, your char looks like a gunslinger.
I thought I was gonna see perma iC but all I saw was a repeat of mechanics used since the release of CoC.

Since ic was released people were using cwdt enduring cry immortal call increased duration

They nerfed it by making enduring cry no longer supported by cwdt.

So people started using it on cwdt ic increased duration

Some people put it in their cast on crit setup

Some people put it on all sorts of gear.

This setup is the same. You just used scolds to trigger getting hit which generates endurance charges which you use with jugg to get the most endurance charges so you can pop the immortal call.

However the execution is meh at best.

1. Juggernaut tree is extreme inefficient and you get very little out of the tree

You're whole setup is based around this perma ic but you only grab 1 single endurance charge

You dont grab barbarism so rip 1% max fire res. (but with lore weave u'll have ur max res)

You have movement speed but you're running poets which doesnt require any move speed.

2. Many times during the videos it looked like your immortal call would completely wear off

This is because you arent running increased duration on ur ic, you arent just running a cwdt lvl 1 with immortal call you are actually using it on your poets (face palm)

You could sustain it on cwdt lvl 1 - 528 damage threshold

You dont need to ignite or even hit anything to pop the scolds you just simply need to "spend mana"

400% of your spent mana is dealt as damage to you. Making it only require

528 damage every 4 seconds.......

The whole setup is very meh and you probably didnt even put much thought into this.

You lose a shit ton of damage going jugg and all you gain is some attack speed/ cant be stunned(could have used kaom boots)/ and chance to gain max endurance charges

You also lose big damage from having the ic in your poets.

However the max endurance charge potential is wasted since you only have 4 endurance charges

You'd be better off playing as a hierophant and getting endurance charges via - Conviction of power
25% chance to gain an Endurance Charge when you gain a Power Charge
50% chance to gain a Power Charge when you place a Totem
15% chance to Gain a Power Charge if you or your Totems kill an Enemy
5% reduced Elemental Damage taken while you have an Endurance Charge
Damage Penetrates 5% Elemental Resistances while you have a Power Charge

Even the scion has the - Chance to gain max endurance charges....

You really have no reason to be a jugg... residentsleeper

All youd have to do is gain power charges and youd have constant endurance charges.

Again all you really have to do is setup your immortal call on increased duration giving it a few extra seconds.

giving you more room to find ways to sustain it.

Edit

Theres even one more way to sustain permanent IC

You dont even need any endurance charges.

Simply use https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Fevered_Mind

Increased Mana cost

Run cwdt ic increased duration (grab duration node on tree)

Every IC will be at least 1 second. Spend mana to the equivalent of 400% totaling 520 damage

( Around 120 mana per second )

Permanently sustain immortal call.

yup... you really didnt put much thought into this lawl
Last edited by Bloomania on Jun 29, 2018, 7:25:04 PM
"
a whole bunch of nonsense

You should really try reading the guide first before commenting.
"
METE wrote:
Really nice, your char looks like a gunslinger.

Thanks, it's the Council Supporter armor skins with the Outlaw cloak. Shroud of the Lightless for the chest also looks really cool with the Council skins (obviously leaving out the chest armor).
The Poet's Pen Volatile Dead Build of the Week episode included a variation for perma-IC Jugg. It uses Eye of Innocence instead of Scold's Bridle to self-hit, so this is easy to set up in any league. I want to see more Ele Hit Poet's Pen builds! I play SSF and have yet to see a single Combat Focus, so keep at it in my stead.

"
Ripperdoodles wrote:
The Poet's Pen Volatile Dead Build of the Week episode included a variation for perma-IC Jugg. It uses Eye of Innocence instead of Scold's Bridle to self-hit, so this is easy to set up in any league. I want to see more Ele Hit Poet's Pen builds! I play SSF and have yet to see a single Combat Focus, so keep at it in my stead.

Yeah, I saw the Eye of Innocence one, that one's pretty cool too (plus also gives you the ability to socket Indigon, which is now making me contemplate theorycrafting an Indigon version that foregoes MoM and goes full conversion with Fireball and Flame Surge socketed in the Pens, time to go back down the rabbit hole...)

Good luck on trying to find the Combat Focuses!
"
Loate wrote:
"

I like how you quoted something I didnt write

stay bad
"
"
Loate wrote:
"

I like how you quoted something I didnt write

stay bad

You do know he was quoting your whole post and doing everyone a favor and TL:DR it for us?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info