[3.3] HC Dual Wield Gladiator/Slayer Sunder

Classic HC Sunder Build

I take no credit for the build and mostly learned from the top ladder sunder pushers. I personally started playing and practicing sunder during the HC Flashback Race event, where after a few deaths, got to lvl 98 placing rank 4 Slayer. Most recently, I was able to achieve getting level 100 Gladiator in HC Incursion rank 25. Basically, this build is a great league start and able to do almost all content! Keep in mind however that this guide is mostly directed at crushing maps.

Vids

Some quick vids did not bother to loot
Shaped UGS - https://youtu.be/38oGJNw3MrY
Shaped Belfry with some sextants - https://youtu.be/ul-X_gLLa7w

Glad vs Slayer

SSF
Just go Glad unless you have haemophilias
Indepth

If you are playing SSF and truly want to push ladder, Glad is definitely the way to go unless you already have haemophilias. Slayer clear speed is simply garbage with no blood explosions compared to Glad. Also, getting the Uber lab ascendancy points will take quite some time depending on how lucky you are so most of the time you will be stuck with only Slayer's over leech and no culling while Gladiator comes online right after cruel lab.

Small thing that annoys me is the fact that the Slayer's small increased damage nodes are for 2h weapons only but really doesn't mean a whole lot.

Trade league
Glad

-more overall hp on gear
-no need for prismatic once you get 6L + insanity rolled gloves
-~50block & ~60+ spell block

Slayer

-Culling + Onslaught feels real good
-Near immortal once you start leeching (with proper play)

Indepth

In trade league I personally prefer Gladiator as well however Slayer is just as good. For Incursion league I feel like the spell block is very useful to not dying to those god damn ancient constructs that shoot their spell phys/chaos shit at you in Incursions/temples. The over leech from Slayer will keep you alive most of the time but there is always a chance that you just die before you can leech (getting sniped while just entering the Incursion) or die before you can leech enough hp back (pretty unlikely honestly but possible). To make up for that I would actually recommend grabbing Phase Acrobatics since you will not have any spell block as a Slayer.

Small thing that annoys me is the fact that the Slayer's small increased damage nodes are for 2h weapons only but really doesn't mean a whole lot.

Screenshot of Stats

Unbuffed:

Defense:

Gear options

Main hand axe

Pretty simple to start just rustic recipe(sell magic or higher rustic sash + whetstone + weapon to vendor) your way through the acts until you find a decent rare axe. Make sure to kill all the Essences you find on your way and slap em on any good base axes for your level. Also recommend doing any Vagans you find past A4ish to be able to craft %phys on any flat phys + open prefix axes you find. If you get real desperate you can even start slapping alcs on siege axes once you hit blood aqueduct. Make sure to roll a Viridian Jewel for mana leech as a GLAD as you wont be near the mana leech node as a Slayer would be until you get a Soul Taker.

Once you get something like these you should be set. Axe on the left was made by getting lucky and using an Essence of Zeal on a siege axe I found in blood aqueduct in SSF. You can definitely upgrade with just a better PDPS axe or a rolled Elder axe but it is not necessary.

In my opinion Best In Slot(BIS) would be

Soul Taker may not be the greatest PDPS axe however allows us to reserve all of our mana. With the free Arctic Armor as well as no need to get mana leech it just provides an overall safety and ease of play. This also allows us to free up our Leap Slam link from Blood Magic thus making way for endurance charge on stun which actually reliably gains endurance charges. Another thing, doing a no regen map with Blood Magic + Leap Slam sucks with the amount and speed we are leaping.

For SSF, farming Shaped Tribunal as your only T12 for the divination card "The Soul" is an option otherwise get lucky or just use a rare axe.

Offhand

For leveling, just grab anything really. Was not uncommon for me to hit Act 4 with a white axe or sword in my offhand. For ssf just find any weapon with resistance until you find a unique or shaper weapon to use.

Some uniques you can use to level. Princess/Tempest are awesome and Relentless Fury is just an example that you can put anything you find in your offhand.

BIS

Corruptions are not needed however VERY useful. If you can corrupt your prismatic to get either AOE/Resolute Technique then consider it done unless you manage to craft or buy a godly offhand. Make sure it is 3 green and nothing else, including white sockets.

OR

Prerequisites

-Minimum of 2 phys as added ele rolls
-Insanity rolled gloves + 6L
-Possible with Slayer but you will have dog shit Leap Slams since you will be running haemophilias

Sceptres give most dmg and axes are easiest to roll.

Helmet

Ahns for complete safety or rare helm for missing RES/INT

Chest

Whatever you find/like. If you farm/find a tabula you can use that for a long time, I have seen people use it past lvl 90. I would use a 5L rare over tabula personally but if you are confident, tabula will provide faster clear speeds. Belly is the preferred chest until you can make/buy and roll a loreweave.

BIS

Make sure MAX RES roll is 80!! By far the most important mod on the chest. Not much else to say, we use every mod on that chest except for the crit chance and mana(if you are using soul taker).

Gloves

Slayer = haemophilias
Glad = Rare gloves, insanity rolled gloves if possible for Leap Slams

Boots

Anything that fits. Can use rare boots if you need the RES or Kaom's roots if you want flat life/immune to stun/immune to freeze.

BIS

2 Socket bubonics are OP! Don't even bother with 1 socket ones. Use multiple abyss jewel types if you can, though not necessary.
Indepth

• 60-100 flat life with good jewels + 6% life
  • 2 more abyss jewels (duh!)
  • Movement speed not needed but QoL
  • Did i mention 2 abyss jewel sockets??
  • little bit of %inc dmg

Belt

The one the ONLY

Best belt in the game, better than Headhunter guaranteed. Intimidate & Global Phys DMG (both scale our sunder AND blood explosions) + Reduced Extra DMG from Crits + life + RES! WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR? Corrupting/buying a corrupted one for %life or anything else useful is pretty easy too. Use a rare belt that fits your RES and gives the most life until you find or buy one.

Rings

Flex slots

Whatever you can find/buy that has high life and RES. Flat phys is always nice but I like to cap for ele weakness so for my Glad I went for higher RES rings over flat phys rings.

Amulet

A rare ammy easily works, same as other gear look for life, RES, INT if needed, and flat phys

*IMPORTANT* do not get chance to gain end, frenzy, and power charges if you are using Ahn's Contempt as it will counteract the whole purpose of the item for some measly dmg.

Shaper ammy you want phys as extra ele
If Glad - Block chance applied to spells

jewels

Abyss jewel in the boots, if not then just place them in your skill tree. You definitely want an Unholy Might abyss jewel

Otherwise normal stuff. Make sure to roll a Viridian Jewel for mana leech as a GLAD as you wont be near the mana leech node as a Slayer would be. Keep in mind "AOE/Phys dmg/%dmg" etc also scale your blood explosions so ideally you want those over things like "Phys dmg with axes/Phys dmg with 1h weps" etc

I like to be Ele Weakness capped so i got a bunch of res on my jewels. Remember with a Loreweave you need to over cap your res by another 5%!

flasks

4 utility flasks + 1 life flask. At the start just use whatever you can get your hands on until you find/afford to get unique flasks.

Glad setup

Rumis + Glad ascendancy op

Slayer setup

No need for removes bleed, taste of hate for phys mitigation and dmg

NO LOVE

Yeah yeah 25% MORE melee dmg but that knock back feels AWFUL so I do not use it. If you do not mind knocking back everything and their mommas go for it.

Current Gladiator Gear

All items are replaceable so do not worry about getting the exact same items. In fact make sure to NOT copy my amulet, the chance to gain power charges actually counter acts the whole reason i run Ahn's Contempt(50% reduced extra damage taken from crits with no power charges). Also once you get enough attack speed you want to swap the Prismatic Eclipse for a nicely rolled Shaper weapon. I was just too lazy to upgrade gear after a certain point. The corruptions are just extra and not needed.

Slayer Gear from Flashback

Gems

Main Link
Sunder + Multistrike + Melee Phys + Chance to bleed + Ruthless + Maim/Faster Attacks/Damage on Full Life
  • Maim if you have Prismatic Eclipse
  • Faster Attacks if you have a Shaper weapon in the offhand
  • Damage on Full Life if you are a Slayer
  • Note if you are a slayer AND using a shaper weapon(do not recommend) then replace Ruthless with Faster Attacks
  • We DO NOT use Concentrated Effect as it hinders our Sunder's shockwaves AOE thus reducing our AOE OVERLAP when hitting into packs. It provides better single target/tooltip however lowers our clear speed. Don't wheelchair yourself.

Mobility
Leap Slam + Faster Attacks + Fortify + Blood Magic/Endurance Charge On Melee Stun/Culling Strike
  • MAKE SURE TO SOCKET THIS LINK IN YOUR INSANITY ROLLED GLOVES
  • Blood Magic until you get a Soul Taker
  • Culling Strike in theory may be decent if you are a GLAD and have a Soul Taker

Auras
Hatred + Herald of Ash + Arctic Armor
  • Arctic Armor once you have Soul Taker

Defense
Cast When Damage Taken + Immortal Call + Enfeeble

MISC
Blood Rage + Blood Magic
  • Only need Blood Magic if you are using a Soul Taker

Vaal Double Strike + Ancestral Warchief
  • If still have more sockets you can link these to Maim/Blind/Melee Phys/Culling depending on your ascendancy/wants/needs

Others

Gems I would use if I had more sockets

Vaal Grace - Provides very nice defense boost, would recommend on all builds that are not running intensive Vaal skills

Burning Damage + Swift Affliction + Herald of Ash - I have not PERSONALLY tried it but Sparrog used it in his run to #1 lvl 100 run in SSF HC Flashback event.

Enduring Cry - If you dont mind stopping to use a warcry like the good ol' days Enduring Cry is pretty nice for life regen and reliable Endurance Charges. Honestly even if I had this gem, I would probably only use it on hard bosses.

P.S. I hate using golems, they always die and attract unwanted attention from mobs so I never use golems EVEN if I have a slot open. If you like golems feels free to use whichever one fits your ascendancy.

Leveling & Tips

Some leveling things I prefer to do, not the be all and end all, play however you like.
  • Cleave your way to Sunder, Sunder your way to 100.
  • Onslaught in your main link until your attack speed feels good, swap for Faster Attacks on bosses if it is not already linked to Faster Attacks
  • Faster Attacks over Multistrike until you have enough attack speed to not be glued to the ground with Multistrike, I usually swap around maps
  • Enduring Cry for endurance charges early on for life regen/RES/phys reduction
  • Blood Rage ASAP use life flask to offset degen
  • Faster Attacks linked with Leap Slam ASAP. Running sucks.
  • Make sure your Leap Slam has the "always attack without moving" option selected
  • Hatred for bosses, always on once you hit a4-a5
  • Never upgrade past Colossal mana flask (Level 30) it will sustain you until you get leech
  • Roll a Viridian Jewel for mana leech as a GLAD as you wont be near the mana leech node as a Slayer would be

Pantheon & Bandits

If you are really pushing ladder go ALIRA for the RES. If not, KILL ALL like a normal player.

GLAD
Major: Soul Of lunaris
Minor: Tukohama

SLAYER
Major: Arakaali
Minor: Whatever you like, I would go for Shakari for Incursion

PoB & Skill Trees

If you do not use Path of Building, now is the time for change! Become the tooltip warrior we all want to be. If you really do not want to use PoB you can just check my profile(JPNoHope and SirJP), it will always be public.

How I allocate my skill points
  • Go to Dervish
  • Ranger and grab the dual wield nodes(dont fill in the life nodes unless you need it)
  • Back to duelist area grab Cloth and Chain for early game RES. Respec out of it once you have good RES
  • Berserking and Duality if you have that on your tree. Grab Constitution
  • Axe dmg nodes
  • Resolute Technique/Life nodes/leech nodes whichever ones you need/want

Glad: https://pastebin.com/rVCvg8Ud
Slayer: https://pastebin.com/Y16fnbkA

*Note* for Incursion I would get Phase Acro on Slayer just for the ancient constructs that shoot the spell phys/chaos dmg shit.
Something like this: https://pastebin.com/hynQqZMt

Feedback and Information From Other Players

DrOrganicSwagPHD
"
its good to note that maim makes enemies take more damage from the phys part of ur explosion, and that stat sticks boost explosion dmg (as far as i have been told) i wouldn't also look at faster as a dps link, but as mobility to get you from one pack to another between sunders. you already 1 tap packs, and the links dont really matter for bosses anymore since you have vaal double

Credits

Special thanks to Ventrua, Rathalos, and Sparrog for directly and indirectly helping me with "my" Sunder build. Also thanks to all the other Sunder ladder pushers out there with public profiles, you have all taught me a lot :)

If you have ANY questions or feedback feel free to post it here or visit Twitch.tv/SirJP
Last edited by SirJP94 on Jul 17, 2018, 3:53:36 PM
Last bumped on Dec 14, 2018, 7:33:38 PM
Gonna use this for ssfhc, thanks alot.
PM @KaspeR_Warbands (Warbands) | @KaspeRHC (Standard)
Standard Atziri Service www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1400006
This build guide sums up a lot of my own experiences with Sunder Glad. Really good stuff.

Guess some things are preference though. I personally can't stand leap slam so I always go Whirling blades. Theoretically I'd say leap slam will probably keep you safer for HC. Also kinda like Lion's Roar for bosses but if I played Sunder this league I'd def go Atziri's instead because of the added leech and chaos res for incursions.

You think "The Red nightmare" is worth the price for the block it can potentially add? Might be worth a mention but it's been a while since I've used it. Not sure I've ever used it for sunder though.

I once made a pure phys Glad Sunder as well (Brutality) and that was a lot of fun. More pricey though and hard to beat the clear speed and flexibility you can get with elemental damage. Especially with the potential shaper stat sticks have I think pure phys aren't worth it.

Oh and last thing. Vaal Grace is just amazing man I pick it every. single. time. Literally makes me feel immortal.

I really agree on not using conc effect. Annoys me when I see it in many of the guides.
Last edited by Lazybeer on Jun 27, 2018, 5:59:33 PM
GAMERS RISE UP
"
Lazybeer wrote:
This build guide sums up a lot of my own experiences with Sunder Glad. Really good stuff.

Guess some things are preference though. I personally can't stand leap slam so I always go Whirling blades. Theoretically I'd say leap slam will probably keep you safer for HC. Also kinda like Lion's Roar for bosses but if I played Sunder this league I'd def go Atziri's instead because of the added leech and chaos res for incursions.

You think "The Red nightmare" is worth the price for the block it can potentially add? Might be worth a mention but it's been a while since I've used it. Not sure I've ever used it for sunder though.

I once made a pure phys Glad Sunder as well (Brutality) and that was a lot of fun. More pricey though and hard to beat the clear speed and flexibility you can get with elemental damage. Especially with the potential shaper stat sticks have I think pure phys aren't worth it.

Oh and last thing. Vaal Grace is just amazing man I pick it every. single. time. Literally makes me feel immortal.

I really agree on not using conc effect. Annoys me when I see it in many of the guides.

@lazybeer
The biggest problem with whirling blades is that once you have too high Attack speed u will whirling twice the second one going backwards. Also you cant precisely whirling like you can with leap. Give leap slam a try with the attack in place option selected!

Not sure about prices in SC but in HC the red nightmare is insanely priced so i would say it is not worth at all.

Yea vaal grace is amazing I just didnt have the sockets to use it, rather have vaal double strike for the single target destruction!
Last edited by SirJP94 on Jun 27, 2018, 7:25:27 PM
Hey there, I was using conc effect for a while and the dmg is pretty nice. Switched to faster attacks (i have shaper stat stick) and the clear is reeally nice, but is there a switch out for single target? or is it just a choice between clearing faster + longer boss kills and clearing a little slower + better single target?

Also why vaal double strike? haven't used it much before but just curious

Edit: I realized just switching inc aoe for clear and conc for bosses is ez pz. My attack speed seems fine w/o primatic eclipse and faster attack support as is. Especially since while clearing I have 3 frenzies and onslaught
Last edited by roeshamboner on Jun 28, 2018, 5:15:24 AM
"
roeshamboner wrote:
Hey there, I was using conc effect for a while and the dmg is pretty nice. Switched to faster attacks (i have shaper stat stick) and the clear is reeally nice, but is there a switch out for single target? or is it just a choice between clearing faster + longer boss kills and clearing a little slower + better single target?

Also why vaal double strike? haven't used it much before but just curious

Edit: I realized just switching inc aoe for clear and conc for bosses is ez pz. My attack speed seems fine w/o primatic eclipse and faster attack support as is. Especially since while clearing I have 3 frenzies and onslaught

If single target really is an issue then conc is fine. However once you get better gear, with Vaal Double Strike and Warchief Totem shaped map/incursion bosses get shredded! That is the reason we run vaal DS over vaal grace though both are useful it comes down to gem slots. But yea play with Vaal DS more, it is insanely good for single target.
I see I see. Ive been playing PoE since prophecy but only recently been trying to really understand the mechanics so I appreciate the advice.

Do you think you could take a look at my char and see if i'm doing it right? I was using a guide when I switched to gladiator, but tweaked it a little bit and am not sure if it's OK or not. If not it's no worries i'm sure you are a busy guy heh
"
roeshamboner wrote:
I see I see. Ive been playing PoE since prophecy but only recently been trying to really understand the mechanics so I appreciate the advice.

Do you think you could take a look at my char and see if i'm doing it right? I was using a guide when I switched to gladiator, but tweaked it a little bit and am not sure if it's OK or not. If not it's no worries i'm sure you are a busy guy heh

No worries glad to help :D

For your tree you really do not need to grab leech nodes since you are a Gladiator(If you were a Slayer it would deemed alright) so I would drop Splitting Strikes and Hematophagy. Bloodrage is more than enough leech for us!

As for the Dual Wield Circle (Blade barrier + Ambidexterity) they are not the greatest value per point to grab unless you really enjoy the block chance. Note that Ambidexterity's 20% AS with offhand does not benefit us at all since we are only leap slamming and attacking with our main hand.

If you decide to respec those nodes I highly recommend travelling up to the Templar area for the Amplify node as it scales not only our Sunder AOE but also our bleed explosion AOE! Traveling there also grants us more life, INT(if needed), and possible jewel sockets.

Gear wise, try grabbing a higher rolled shaper offhand! Around 30%+ on both the phys as added ele.

For Main weap grab a higher PDPS axe (siege axe base most likely) or Soultaker(in SC Soultaker loses value as survivability isn't always most sought after but the utility of the axe is incomparable)

For Gloves once you can afford it, start buying Essence of Insanity and use them on some nice ilvl 84+ spiked gauntlets until you get something nice. Make sure to socket your Leap Slam link in there once you use it.

Lastly grab our Lord and Savior BELT OF THE DECEIVER if you can handle the drop in res as it is Best in Slot. Intimidate + Global Phys DMG scales both our sunder AND blood explosions. Reduced extra dmg from crits is the icing on top! You can even look for a corruption on the belt that you like as they are pretty cheap from what i can recall(Attack Speed on pot use/%life/ETC)

Last edited by SirJP94 on Jun 28, 2018, 1:46:17 PM
Really great advice. Didn't think about the leech nodes at all before, just kind of accepted them. I unspecced Hematophagy, Splitting Strikes, and also Herbalism, because the life nodes on the way to amplify are much stronger than the Herbalism cluster. And picked up a jewel socket on the way up there. Gonna see how this works out.

Oh also bought a nice stat stick with 34 fire and 35 cold, upped my dps quite a bit lol.

As for belt of the deceiver, I can't give up my current belt..the reduced damage taken from crits is very tempting but my belt just fits pretty well with the build.

Might have to give up a steel ring for a res/life ring though to make up for the lost resists from my old stat stick

Edit: Dude also this just dropped

the stars have aligned
Last edited by roeshamboner on Jun 28, 2018, 3:53:48 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info