Being a mediocre player gets you nowhere in POE

You´ve basically ignored the biggest caveat of a very strong item that has a very strong downside.
No Kikazarus, but instead an of warding life flask. You need of warding on a utility flask.
You have 3 Life Flask and should at least ditch 1.

You´re not using Self Flagellation from what I can tell.
How do you have a 6 link Soul Mantle, but not a jewel that costs 1c in Incursion?
But instead you are using Survival instinct because you are missing 20 Dex somewhere and want the
6% to all res.

So not only aren´t you taking care of the downsides of SoulMantle, you´re not even fully cashing in on it´s upsides.

You´re playing a totem build. I hope you have the attack in place feature active beacuse then you can set your totems at max range without doing the annoying and often dangerous walk up to the point where your character can finally cast.

Get a warding utility flask. Get rid of at least one of your life flasks.
Ditch your DPS rings for 2 kikazarus. If you don´t want to do that, get 2 of warding flasks
and be very meticulous with your flask management.

In that case you probably should take alchemist. Get rid of fucking survival instincts and grab
Self Flagellation for 1 chaos.

"
鬼殺し wrote:

There's a fairly well-known saying. 'All the gear, no idea'. Not saying the OP has 'no idea', but it typically means you can have all the resources in the world, but if you don't have talent, or dedication, or whatever else, you'll never get out of an amateur/mediocre stratum.

There's also the phrase "All the gear, RMTer" - something which immediately springs to mind when you see a profile with 9/10 of the characters having 6 links and yet only one of them has level 20 gems. I'm probably just being overly cynical though...
Yeah you´re fooling nobody Randall ^^ This "fairly known saying" is your own creation and it won´t catch on lol. RMT is a heavy accusation, I wouldn´t go that far, maybe he has nice guildmates, grinds
shitty content or trades to aquire his 6 links.

Once again, look at his flasks, the absence of self flagellation and no reliable way of mitigating
Soul Mantle´s downside.

This is the real problem.
Coming from another 40+ player with mediocre skillset and extensive experience with screw-up scenarios: build for defense, without gimping your offense!

Sounds hard? Well, this combination is actually possible in PoE, although it requires more than average knowledge about the game. Not that I pretend to have it, but let's just say I'm working on it:

This league for example, I choose to be a trapper (like a few others, I know). But I didn't go for the typical saboteur, since that class is not really known for its survivability. With all the dps in the world, but with around 4.5K life, a mediocre played saboteur WILL die. A lot! So I built an ascendant, having 6K life and 700 life regeneration per second, going to 2K life/second when all my traps start triggering. And suddenly you have a char that actually can survive a lot of the end game damage without always having to rely on "skill", "concentration", "quick reflexes", "optimal connection" etc.

So build for survivability:
1. armour/evasion will help (don't listen to people saying these stats are useless),
2. either regen or leech should be priority no 1,
3. "block" is very useful. Don't go double stat stick. That's for the speed freaks,
4. conversion of damage taken, from physical to elemental, can help mitigate a lot of damage,
5. movement speed: we mediocre players need to GET OUTA THERE, flee for our lives, etcetera

Last edited by bablo on Jun 11, 2018, 6:55:47 AM
"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:

There's a fairly well-known saying. 'All the gear, no idea'. Not saying the OP has 'no idea', but it typically means you can have all the resources in the world, but if you don't have talent, or dedication, or whatever else, you'll never get out of an amateur/mediocre stratum.

There's also the phrase "All the gear, RMTer" - something which immediately springs to mind when you see a profile with 9/10 of the characters having 6 links and yet only one of them has level 20 gems. I'm probably just being overly cynical though...

You aren't being cynical. People like to put their heads in the sand when it comes to mentioning RMT. That's why they had a stroke when Blizzard embraced it and tried to cash in on it. It could no longer stay in the closet like the boogie man they don't believe in. Common sense would tell you if a company put that much effort into cashing into the RMT market, the money involved in that market was massive.

It's like when I see someone in a build thread post on day 2/3 of the league "Yea man, trying this build out its going sweet atm" and link their entire BiS gear at day 2/3.

Oh well. I've realized a long time ago people are just naive about it. I take my opportunities to post things when I get the chance.
"
Destructodave wrote:
"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:

You aren't being cynical. People like to put their heads in the sand when it comes to mentioning RMT. That's why they had a stroke when Blizzard embraced it and tried to cash in on it. It could no longer stay in the closet like the boogie man they don't believe in. Common sense would tell you if a company put that much effort into cashing into the RMT market, the money involved in that market was massive.

It's like when I see someone in a build thread post on day 2/3 of the league "Yea man, trying this build out its going sweet atm" and link their entire BiS gear at day 2/3.

Oh well. I've realized a long time ago people are just naive about it. I take my opportunities to post things when I get the chance.

Indeed there are fair share of rmters in poe, but the real issue here is that, if you do rmt, you can earn all that money back due to the way mirrors work. Get yourself, lets say 2000 exalts, craft a mirror tier item, setup mirror service. And here we go you have money printing machine. This makes top tier market really unfair. So you either form conglomerate with your guild, where you craft 1 mirror tier item every league(its gonna earn you 10-50) times more than u invested in it, by the time league, ends.
Or you have to play for first week without sleeping to get ahead of economy and setup fair base of currency(which as well seduces player to rmt)

Personally i think there is no fighting rmt, bigger companies than ggg failed battling them and went to cash in all that rmt money.

I think ggg should go there too, set up ggg regulated rmt auction house where you can trade orbs for mtx points, the model has been succesfull in every game it has been implemented, While arguibly adding different pay to win mechanic, it removes pay to win in terms of stash tabs. Which in my opinion is smaller evil.
that brings up another issue, build guides. they are nice when starting out, but may be you want to step out of the crowd of -current_league_OP_meta_builds-. personally I would rather make my own builds than lookup a guide that wants me to donate and follow on twatch. granted most of what I know now about build making came from these guides.
however, new players starting out may not know about guides and decide to make their own build (ie. pure dmg, no defense, no lyfe). GGG should make it easier to understand modifiers and their effects such as more/less and inc/Dec stats. I think this would greatly help player retention. like giving new players a better understanding of what they are doing with out screaming "you have no idea wtf ur doin broham". instead players are forced to use third party resources unless you want to dig up 3-4 year old GGG forum posts.
Build one of the zerphis poets.

You will only die to uber atziri phase 3 with bad placement because she has heavy pen. otherwise u can face tank everything holding one button down and keeping flask managed.

It's cheap too. Only needs 4L. So no issues with wealth collection. check out my girl SeriX for example. I farmed like 50 uber elders with her deathless.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jun 11, 2018, 9:24:08 AM
Okay, I am going to do a little experiment. I am coming right to the end of this thread and posting, THEN I am going to read it.

My knee-jerk initial post, based on the title, is:

You expect to get significantly anywhere in anything in life by being mediocre? Is this where the world is going today? My mediocrity needs to be recognized and rewarded!

<<Mad-Max-Mediocre.gif>>

Okay, now I will read the entire thread.

Edit: OKay, now that I have read some stuff, I see that "mediocre" has a very specific definition in this context - "non-PoE-Endgame" I guess.

Your definition is pretty harsh, man - as a long-time SSF, old man, full time Dad, I've spent innumerable hours in this game and still haven't killed Uber Atziri or Shaper. I certainly do not consider myself mediocre, but I am also not "end game". I don't min/max to the, erm, max, but I know the game, I know all the mechanics, I also know and accept my limitations and I am highly successful within the boundaries I have set for myself.

Sure, someone may CALL me medicore, like that Johnny-Snow guy, but in this instance that "mediocre" is very much subjective.
Last edited by Slaanesh69 on Jun 11, 2018, 11:42:45 AM
"
baronzo wrote:

Anybody with two brain cells to rub together can follow a build guide exactly. The problem is they think they are better than the actually are. Maybe OP isn't even a "mediocre" player. Maybe he's completely trash at this game. And that's okay. But he needs to realize that and throw away his misplaced pride, and just actually follow a guide if he's unsatisfied with where he's at.

Every time I've seen people following guide's struggle, one key aspect has been gearing, especially for ssf folk.

Also, not everyone will grasp why certain decisions are made.

Lastly, following a guide blindly does not teach one how to play it. The last mmo I left there were plenty of players in top tier gear that didn't grasp the basics of 8 person group content.
Yep, totally over league play.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info