Being a mediocre player gets you nowhere in POE

"
Johny_Snow wrote:
Pushing him away with a single harsh word? You do realize this is the internet and people are being nasty to each other all the time, right?

That's literally what he was talking about. People are shitty enough on the internet. And the OP wasn't insulting the game, merely pointing out his own self-awareness that he/she wasn't the greatest of players and that the struggle to gear feels like an endless pursuit. OP literally expressed that he couldn't outgear/outlevel to compensate for his weaknesses as a player.
Yep, totally over league play.
Hmmm but thats weird. He edited his post today and now it is waaaaay more benign than it was before. Good for him I guess, saving face.
Or maby he got calm and realised that the previous post was just wrong so he edited it to be more civilised?

Just axing.
"
FrodoFraggins wrote:
Anyway, yes being mediocre gets you nowhere at end game. While I do personally think the game has gotten overly and unnecessarily complicated, there is certainly a big place in the market for a game like this. And I would never request they make changes just to make it easier for me.

This game is what it is. Learn the mechanics and get better if you want to reach your goals. Otherwise, maybe find a game that better suits your needs. I'm sure the death penalty does lose them many players, but the difficulty of the game also keeps people invested and returning season after season. Otherwise you'll just end up with an endgame like D3 where it's down to who plays the most and gets away with botting while they sleep.

The problem is, just "be better" doesnt matter much, actually. You must have huge playtime to have a real advantage over others, particulary at the start of the league (to start farming something like Uber Atziri before others, and sell items from that. Also, very fast PC and abuse scripts/bots/etc to scam noobs. Or use bots to farm items/currency. That's how "success" in PoE is earned. "Learn the mechanics" usually means "learn what the most imbalanced skill/item is in current league, and build around it".
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
de99ial wrote:
Or maby he got calm and realised that the previous post was just wrong so he edited it to be more civilised?

Just axing.

It doesn't show an edit, just a last bumped in the original post, but not sure if one is overwriting the other.

I do think the elitism did kick in a bit first, its a gut reaction to anything resembling a complaint about difficulty, and then the train goes on from there.

I do relate to the OP tho, as there are plenty of things I would be much more willing to play around with but the constant need for currency makes it cost prohibitive to explore potential outside of standard. But I still have a ways to hit 12 so until then its more time temple hopping.
Yep, totally over league play.
I would say, it is more being "casual".
While I have 1200 hours in PoE, I have not even seen red maps.
I usually play league until I get burnt out, and try couple of leagues later.
My first league was Talisman, and I overall liked it.

Some things require too much effort - chaos recipe, for example. I tried couple of times, but it is always something small missing that I have to hunt later, recipe also takes most of inventory etc. I also do not keep in mind most of other recipes, it is too much effort.

I usually end up at near level 82-85, as grinding gets too much and I do no sweat if I randomly die. Finally I am trying to do Uber Lab, while Lab totally sucks, may try to do it once. For other chars, likely not. From content I actually liked Rigwald, Talisman King. He was killable with simple 4L or 5L, even if some grinding and running around was required. This league, I will probably try to grind one of top uniques and then end the league. Maybe one of the Elders, or Breach lords. Maybe. Shaper - nah, too much work involved.
Oh yes, with time constraints only 2 chars in league are manageable.
So first you take cooky-cutter build that everybody uses, and make second char the one you wanted to try.

Also gem grinding to level 20 is so long... good that most gem upgrades have been nerfed, so quality 20 mostly does not matter anymore, with rare exceptions.

This is also first league where I have noticed real lag spikes for Euro server... have killed me few times and possibly will drop earlier as expected due to them.

I am also sad that almost all old skills are overlooked, and not ever touched. I still want to play competitive Ice Spear... but I see no reason to do it as it would totally suck.
Last edited by Trakss on Jun 17, 2018, 11:02:36 AM
Ok we get it, PoE is not a game for sunday morning causal gamers. Now tell me why is it a bad thing? Not everything must be catered towards such players. There are so many other games that would fit your needs perfectly fine, like diablo 3 for example. Why do you feel like PoE must be changed to fit your taste?
"
kuciol wrote:
Ok we get it, PoE is not a game for sunday morning causal gamers. Now tell me why is it a bad thing? Not everything must be catered towards such players. There are so many other games that would fit your needs perfectly fine, like diablo 3 for example. Why do you feel like PoE must be changed to fit your taste?

So you call "casuals" everyone who cant play the game 6+ hours EVERY DAY? Because that's all you need for PoE, your skill actually matters a little there
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:

So you call "casuals" everyone who cant play the game 6+ hours EVERY DAY? Because that's all you need for PoE, your skill actually matters a little there

It more like 4+ hours a day but yes thats who i call casual. This game demands dedication unlike so many others. If you are unable to dedicate a lot of time to it than its better to find something else than try to change the game itself to fit your demands. Thats how this game was intended to be and thats how it will continue to be.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info