Being a mediocre player gets you nowhere in POE

Someone has probably already mentioned it, but you need different flasks. I don't play your build but I play something very very similar, Glacial Cascade totems. One of the reason I like GC is because the cold damage increases your survivability by a large amount.

Anyways back to the flasks, you only need one HP flask.

Take a look at my character and flasks. The diamond flask is one of the most important in my opinion. The mana flask is great for *clearing* curses but the diamond flask lasts a full 6 seconds *at least* and makes me immune to curses the whole time. I relied on the mana flask alone for quite awhile but it wasn't enough. The diamond flask isn't exactly enough on its own either because you can't spam click it if you're having to recast your totems a lot.

You honestly might want to consider switching to Glacial Cascade. I think you would have a much better experience and as far as I can tell it would be as simple as switching the gem over.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1976479
8 challenges done, highest lvl 87 in incursion. Its very clear that you bought your gear for real money (2 shimmerons, 2 6ls, that molten strike helmet). Stop making excuses like "im old" and learn how the game works.
Last edited by giully on Jun 14, 2018, 8:19:30 PM
"
SeCKSEgai wrote:
"
ChefoSLR wrote:

10% xp is not a big deal... till the later levels. Of course it's not the same punishment as hardcore. But claiming its meaningless is just hardcore player elitism.

You know what used to be a good punishment? Armor repairs in Diablo 3 on release. If you die, you lose durability on your gear. Die enough times and you need to dump serious cash to use your items again. If you were particularly bad at the game you could end up broke and without functioning gear. Now D3 was and still is a shallow turd of an ARPG, but the one thing that game nailed was the unforgiving difficulty that ARPGs were known for. You're building a super powerful hero to slay equally powerful monsters; that's what made gearing up feel rewarding. You were expected to play well and build well, otherwise you died and there were real consequences for your fuck up (of course, all the difficulty was later removed to the applause of casuals).

To that end, a 10% XP loss is nothing, and no amount of calling me an elitist will change that fact. It's only a penalty if you're gunning for 100; a pointless endeavor since you can beat all the content at level 90 and probably lower. Old-school gamers would look at the PoE softcore death penalty and think "wait that's it? What's the point then?" And softcore players would, reasonably, look at lag/freeze/crash deaths in HC and think "wait that's it? That's bullshit". And both sides would be right. Ideally there would be a middle difficulty where death is permissible, but still heavily punished - maybe gear breaking or losing an entire level? And if that's still not to your liking, you can continue playing softcore. I don't mind softcore players and I'm not trashing their choice of game mode, but to claim that a 10% XP loss is in any way a serious punishment is some 1984 "facts aren't facts" delusion. It's basically there because the devs can't have zero penalties for dying.
Last edited by ChefoSLR on Jun 14, 2018, 8:34:29 PM
Yo, not saying you did but IF you did and you have extra money laying around - spend it on MTXs that can be used forever and not on gear that gets migrated to Standard when the league is over. Farming currency isn't all that hard if you take the time to do it.

But hey - if you have more money than time just throw it my way. I want a supporter pack Please and thank you. :)

HAHAHAHA I'm sorry. I am not a dick but I literally could not stop my fingers from saying that. Giggle my ass to the kitchen now. I'll make you all a sammich.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

The vast majority did not like weapon/armor decay in d2 - most of the time it was just an extra hassle. In D2 you could actually destroy said items beyond repair.

Most people weren't fond of weapon/armor decay in Fallout NV either, and they took it to a far more extreme. Fallout 4 all but removed decay with only power armor being affected.

But again, my point was that you claim 10% is nothing because of how YOU play, since death is the end, yet you COMPLETELY disregard anyone that has a different experience.

How many people bothered to hit 100 in D2? Not many because the closer you got to 100 the more time a random death could put you back. It's also why the vast majority of those folks resorted to running baal bots versus actually putting in the hours.

Some games allow de-leveling if you drop enough - but the last one I know that did that also didn't involve mindless map clearing.

Sure, losing xp is not the same as having a character forced into standard and out of the league. But when someone points out that hours or weeks can be lost in a single death and you still choose to claim it's not a "punishment", that's no longer just an elitist mindset, but the opinion of someone who has little value for time.

Frankly, I think its silly to constantly tug on the loot slot machine and have so little time to actually enjoy the fruits of that labor. Yet, some people love starting over every 3 months for a league. People can enjoy different aspects of the game despite it being in different ways.

"
ChefoSLR wrote:

To that end, a 10% XP loss is nothing, and no amount of calling me an elitist will change that fact. It's only a penalty if you're gunning for 100; a pointless endeavor since you can beat all the content at level 90 and probably lower.

You literally say its nothing and then reiterate that it's a penalty against folks leveling to 100 - which you rebuff because all content can be completed below 100.

If a player isn't concerned with leveling after a certain point, no xp penalty would have meaning unless it could cause players to de-level.

Why are there so few 100s? Because the penalty makes the last levels too much effort to bother with. Just because people don't care about a penalty doesn't mean it doesn't have an impact.

With that said, the HC folks who eat it at 99 feel more pain over the loss than most sc players will ever known.
Yep, totally over league play.
Is it sad that I prefer reading Charan's input over actually running incursion?

But really, it's nice to be reminded that there are gamers still around that were born before the original starcraft release.

(Incidentally my cousin was after and his gaming experience consists of consoles, kotor and LoL, and I introduced him (I think to the latter).

Also - that makes more sense than the 20% quality deal. I remember when I first started I expected superior to have a lot more meaning than it did.
Last edited by SeCKSEgai on Jun 14, 2018, 11:10:47 PM
"
SeCKSEgai wrote:
But really, it's nice to be reminded that there are gamers still around that were born before the original starcraft release.

Ugh ... really? That was only twenty years ago.

I realize that for anyone actually IN their teens or twenties that seems like a long time. But honestly, it's not that long ago, there are plenty of gamers in their 30's (now) that played SC1 back when it was new.

And frankly, there are plenty of us "old" folks too (40's, 50's 60's etc). Computer gaming (and gaming in general) as a hobby has been around a lot longer than that.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
I dunno, twenty years is a long time, especially given that most of us don't age nearly as well as we'd like.

But it was more in reference to the mindsets of the gamers here, especially some in this thread, completely oblivious to other players having experiences different from their own.

Given the amounts that players have personally invested, its naturally assumed that plenty are older gamers. However, when you read the forums, there are times where it seems like the forums are just some pre-teens bickering.

Hell, with social media so intertwined with daily life, its clearly had its effects on society for better or worse.

Its mostly looking for pity or justifying their own ineptitude at the game. Why else bring achievements to show that the average player doesn't even reach maps? Then bringing up age like old folks are disabled and cant play or something. The whole charade is an insult to gamers tbh, I am pretty sure we can do better than what the "6%" guys are insinuating.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
In all other ARPGs, killing bosses is the most encouraged "job". In PoE, oneshotting trash mobs is encouraged, and bosses are often skipped (not worth farming), if you dont kill them in few seconds.

You've hit onto a serious insight here.

A game that encourages oneshotting 'trash' mobs (I fucking hate that term so much!) as the best way to progress rather than focussing down bosses for the loot will almost inevitably make players ask why bosses aren't dying as quickly as trash mobs if the reward for killing them is the same or less than mowing down hordes of mooks.

This all goes back to GGG's very early insistence that boss runs not be a thing. It's almost as if they wanted to make normal mobs the focus, the challenge, but then failed to follow through on that by making every encounter engaging (which is ironic because other, far more successful games like the Souls series did just that!). Of all the things for GGG to carry forward from the heyday of D2, you'd think that boss runs would be very high on the list, and shit like wisdom/portal scrolls and a fucking terrible trade system would be discarded in the light of how far games in general have come since then.

So we have this interesting situation where a decision made early on (no boss runs) and a failure to follow through with it (make engaging normal mobs as interesting/rewarding as bosses) has left the game in a worse state than the much older, much less evolved game that inspired it.

I can't for the life of me think why GGG wanted to nix boss runs. There are smart ways to overturn the apple cart, and then there's the old 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' adage. They seriously overestimated their ability to make clearing areas and normal mobs interesting and rewarding...and underestimated players' tendency towards the path of least resistance. It's not that GGG didn't make interesting or challenging bosses...they just failed to make them proportionately rewarding. And it's too late now because PoE players have been conditioned, for years, to expect fast-as-fuck gameplay. They won't be satisfied with bosses that don't, in some way, just feel like beefed up trash.

Compound this with the fact that what boss runs do exist in PoE (for example, Titziri) are long slogs through wave after wave of extraneous crap, and whatever exclusive shit she drops can be more easily traded for anyway.

...And there's another thing that GGG decided early on that has, I think, probably hurt the game in the long run. No bound items at all. This accords with their 'economy uber alles' philosophy but it takes any motivation out of killing difficult things for yourself. I get that bound items are not common to ARPGs but they are the easiest way to make boss encounters alluring and rewarding in a personal sense. Far more so, I'd say, than 'kill this boss 500 times for a challenge achievement', which only affects league players and turns what should be a rewarding experience into a soul-numbing, will-crushing grind.

...Then again, that's probably most of PoE in a nutshell.

It didn't have to be.

I can honestly say the most fun I've ever had in this game is when running Dominus was viable. I cant remember the exact league, it was early on, but out of all my years playing PoE, that was the most fun league/time I had.

Because it offered choices outside of mapping. Mapping was for character progression, plowing Dominus was for gear/relaxation.

Just having the option to go farm him and it not be a complete waste of time after I was burned out of running my 100th map ad nauseum was a nice feeling.

I had a jacked up shadow I made I converted into a Magic Find guy. Stacked to the gills with Magic find and cast on death portal. I just ran in there, beat on dominus until he managed to land something through Acrobatics/Dodge/Block, got 1 shot, took portal till dead. Collect loot.

It was incredibly relaxing and kept me playing the game far longer than I've played any other league.

Now you dont have that choice. Lab is too convoluted and annoying. Its like its made just to piss you off cause you want to do boss runs, and they don't want you to do boss runs, and if you do, you are gonna deal with this bullshit of Lab to do it.

The end-game needs options like that instead of just grinding maps ad nauseum or wiping you ass with 60 grit sandpaper, which is what he Lab is like.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info