So I still don't understand the new mechanics of Infernal Blow at all...

Level 63 playing ignite-based IB but there's still some major decisions that need to be made but there's no information out there at all about the skill to inform those decisions.

- Are the charge-explosions doing 66% of weapon damage? Total attack damage? 66% of the 120%-ish base damage?

- Are the charge-explosions considered considered attack damage? Or secondary damage? Or is the damage increased or decreased at all by increase and decrease modifiers?

- How does added damage work with the charge explosions? If I get a six-charge explosion with Immolate supported on a burning target, will I get 66% of immolate's damage added six times to the explosion? Once? Zero times because it doesn't apply to the charge explosions?

- How does variable effects like crit, ruthless, and so-on work? Is it like Explosive Arrow where the first hit "snapshots" and the remaining hits just add charges from that snapshot?

- Can enemies evade/dodge/block the charge explosions?

- If I hit an enemy for the sixth time and trigger the sixth explosion, is that hit + explosion considered one hit for the purpose of ignite? Or is it two hits? Seven hits?
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
Last bumped on Jun 7, 2018, 8:57:50 PM
still looking for some help
"
gilrad wrote:
- Are the charge-explosions doing 66% of weapon damage? Total attack damage? 66% of the 120%-ish base damage?

It's not obvious from the wording on the skill, but I am 90% sure it is base attack damage. So the 66% is calculated the same way that the 120% is. I think they said "66% of damage" instead of "66% of base damage" because they wanted it to fit on one line, and they like confusing us.

"
- Are the charge-explosions considered considered attack damage? Or secondary damage? Or is the damage increased or decreased at all by increase and decrease modifiers?

If it is based on weapon damage then it is attack damage.

"
- How does added damage work with the charge explosions? If I get a six-charge explosion with Immolate supported on a burning target, will I get 66% of immolate's damage added six times to the explosion? Once? Zero times because it doesn't apply to the charge explosions?
The same way it works with other attack damage (assuming it is attack damage)

"
- How does variable effects like crit, ruthless, and so-on work? Is it like Explosive Arrow where the first hit "snapshots" and the remaining hits just add charges from that snapshot?

It's only one hit for all 6 charges. If it is attack damage it will use your crit chance/etc... just like other hits with infernal blow.

"
- Can enemies evade/dodge/block the charge explosions?
If it is attack damage, then I am unsure. It could be avoidable. It seems like they would have said it were unavoidable if it was, since in the same patch they corrected static strike to correctly say its explosions are unavoidable.

"
- If I hit an enemy for the sixth time and trigger the sixth explosion, is that hit + explosion considered one hit for the purpose of ignite? Or is it two hits? Seven hits?
Two hits.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Jun 6, 2018, 6:04:53 PM
"
gilrad wrote:
Are the charge-explosions doing 66% of weapon damage? Total attack damage? 66% of the 120%-ish base damage?
Of the skill's damage (which is attack damage). This is effectively the same as a 44% 33% less damage modifier and a 100% more damage per charge modifier - it's dealing the skill's damage (which includes all applicable other modifiers such as the modifer to base damage and the effectiveness of added damage), and effectively applying 44% 33% less to that (to get 66% of that damage), then multiplying that by the number of charges.
If you don't have any modifiers to area damage, then you can literally take the total damage values shown in the skill popup, take 66% of that, and multiply by number of charges. It's 66% of the damage the skill has which it directly shows you in the popup, it only gets more complicated than that because that damage is for the single-target hit so won't account for area modifers, but the area hit from charges will.

"
gilrad wrote:
Are the charge-explosions considered considered attack damage? Or secondary damage? Or is the damage increased or decreased at all by increase and decrease modifiers?
Attack damage.

"
gilrad wrote:
How does added damage work with the charge explosions? If I get a six-charge explosion with Immolate supported on a burning target, will I get 66% of immolate's damage added six times to the explosion? Once? Zero times because it doesn't apply to the charge explosions?
The same as any other damage works with it. If damage is added to the skill, that's part of the skill's damage, and it will be dealt, affected by the 66% of damage per charge modifier, just like any other damage.

"
gilrad wrote:
How does variable effects like crit, ruthless, and so-on work? Is it like Explosive Arrow where the first hit "snapshots" and the remaining hits just add charges from that snapshot?
The same as any other attack damage hit.

"
gilrad wrote:
Can enemies evade/dodge/block the charge explosions?
Yes, in the same ways as any other attack damage hit.

"
gilrad wrote:
If I hit an enemy for the sixth time and trigger the sixth explosion, is that hit + explosion considered one hit for the purpose of ignite? Or is it two hits? Seven hits?
Two hits - one is not area damage and does not have the 66% of damage per charge modifier, the second is area damage and has that modifier.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jun 7, 2018, 8:54:06 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
gilrad wrote:
Are the charge-explosions doing 66% of weapon damage? Total attack damage? 66% of the 120%-ish base damage?
Of the skill's damage (which is attack damage). This is effectively the same as a 44% less damage modifier and a 100% more damage per charge modifier - it's dealing the skill's damage (which includes all applicable other modifiers such as the modifer to base damage and the effectiveness of added damage), and effectively applying 44% less to that (to get 66% of that damage), then multiplying that by the number of charges.

Shouldn't it be 34% less? 34+66=100 ? Or am I missing something..
Kuolema kuittaa univelat
^44% less means 54% of damage. So yeah it seems like 34% was meant.

"
dudiobugtron wrote:
"
gilrad wrote:

It's not obvious from the wording on the skill, but I am 90% sure it is base attack damage. So the 66% is calculated the same way that the 120% is. I think they said "66% of damage" instead of "66% of base damage" because they wanted it to fit on one line, and they like confusing us.
OK, looks like I was totally wrong about this. It's 66% of the skill's damage (not base damage, but after the base damage multiplier the skill gives). Apologies, Mark & OP!
I was basically right about the rest of it though.
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Jun 6, 2018, 10:22:04 PM
Wow such wonderful information! Thank you!

I'd like a bit more clarification wrt variable hits.

If I understand correctly the final explosion is basically an area attack with a more damage modifier for each charge and a less damage modifier of 44% or 34% or whatever the number is.

If I have ruthless linked, would that explosion be ruthless if the first hit was ruthless? Last hit? Or if the last hit was the second in the series?

What happens when I mix different Infernal Blow skills? Would it explode according to the skill used on the first hit? Last hit? Something entirely different?

It's just one hit. Like how discharge is just one hit no matter how many charges you use.

I don't know whether the explosion will work with ruthless, or how it will factor in in terms of timing. I don't even know if it is melee damage. I'm interested to find out! I also would like to know how different infernal blows interact.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Of the skill's damage (which is attack damage). This is effectively the same as a 44% less damage modifier and a 100% more damage per charge modifier - it's dealing the skill's damage (which includes all applicable other modifiers such as the modifer to base damage and the effectiveness of added damage), and effectively applying 44% less to that (to get 66% of that damage), then multiplying that by the number of charges.

44+66 != 100. Learn math, Mark. Or drink more coffee :D

It's 34% less dmg (unless Mark really meant 44% and there is some magic behind the scene)
I never understood that design decision. Why on earth dev would suggest that skill "hits" 3 times or more if in reality there is only "one hit" and then it gets multipiled and maybe it gets apropriate animation. This is silly and feels like such a shortcut. The moment you realize u wont get *real* 3 hits with multistrike or for all missiles or charges ur skill project there is only one calculation in reality. It's sad :/
I know all player come and say : "ahahah nice, u have try a bot u get ban, sooo nice" but i tell u its just for try, for see and for know. I have use this 10 minutes maximum and i have insta uninstall." - some not-too-bright dude, 2013; Joined 2012, † 2013.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info