We Get It, GGG Was Bought Out... SO WHAT

"
respwnd wrote:
There is also the fact that Tencent produces Sesame Credit.

While that may not matter to some here, it does to others. It's deeply evil. To put it in perspective to folks who don't live in a Communist country, if your government tried to install something like this into your culture, you should overthrow that government by any means necessary. No hyperbole or joke.

Some folks may wish to ponder the ethics behind financially supporting a company that is responsible for such a thing.

Couple things.

First, "Sesame Credit" is specifically AliBaba's version of the social credit system. Tencent's version is boringly called Tencent Credit.

More importantly: social credit wasn't Tencent's idea. It's a government program, and you can only participate if you have a government license. If Tencent didn't get a license, one of their competitors probably would have. They'd be stupid to let that happen.

As much as I hate the idea of social credit, Tencent isn't quite as responsible as most people seem to believe.
"
suszterpatt wrote:
"
respwnd wrote:

While that may not matter to some here, it does to others. It's deeply evil. To put it in perspective to folks who don't live in a Communist country, if your government tried to install something like this into your culture, you should overthrow that government by any means necessary. No hyperbole or joke.

Some folks may wish to ponder the ethics behind financially supporting a company that is responsible for such a thing.

Couple things.

First, "Sesame Credit" is specifically AliBaba's version of the social credit system. Tencent's version is boringly called Tencent Credit.

More importantly: social credit wasn't Tencent's idea. It's a government program, and you can only participate if you have a government license. If Tencent didn't get a license, one of their competitors probably would have. They'd be stupid to let that happen.

As much as I hate the idea of social credit, Tencent isn't quite as responsible as most people seem to believe.

I appreciate your point. However, they still made the decision to produce a terrifying program that helps no one except the government. They could have chosen not to. Though I acknowledge that a decision like that could have some pretty serious repercussions.

While it's easy for me to say how terrible the idea (and now practice) of a social credit system is, I do it from the relative comfort of a western democracy, effectively zero personal experience with the culture in China and through the lens of the limited verifiable information I am able to find.
Perhaps it's not as bad as it sounds, but it does sound pretty horrifying. Orwellian on a degree I hadn't thought possible.

Like most of us, I think the Chinese work with what they have. They know where the land mines are and walk around them as they work, eat and play. What we see as outlandish or unacceptable surveillance they see as normal and a part of daily life.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
"
suszterpatt wrote:
"
respwnd wrote:

Couple things.

You are right of course.
One is morally exempt if business profits are at stake.
let alone if brainwashing propaganda or threats were involved.

Last edited by plodd on May 25, 2018, 5:30:01 PM
If your Government was bought out by China you'd be in the streets MARCHING...! But when it comes to your GAEMS it's somehow a """good thing"""...! INCREDIBLE!!!
"
respwnd wrote:

"Sesame Credit's scoring system is roughly modeled after FICO scoring in the United States and Schufa in Germany"

ya thats a qoute from wikipedia but still. if people think financial institutions havent been keeping track of citizens you are naive as *&@# . the only difference now is there is more information to be gathered easily.

this is not a chinese initiative , if anything this is all shit the west started doing the second banks/people started lending money for interest.

has anyone seen the black mirror episode on this shit? that is reality soon sadly.
IGN- Shaeyaena
"
respwnd wrote:

Think of Tencent as an investment company that decided to add GGG to its portfolio. This means that all profits from Path of Exiel will go right back into the game. That means that none of hte money will go back into any other investment that Tencent has. We will be separate from all other things.

Tax money in this country is no doubt spent on a lot of things that we wouldn't want it to be spent on. And the leaders of this country don't follow the highest standard of ethics either. So one could argue that by your taxes you are supporting the unethical leaders of this country. Paying taxes doesn't mean that you support their standard of morality. No it just means that you are abiding by the law. They will do what they want in their life regardless of whether they do the job the tax money pays them to do.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info