[Tencent drama] Now's a good time to talk about how Xbox did in fact affect PoE's balance

"
DrCola wrote:
"
suszterpatt wrote:
Also, did we notice how a lot of the newer skills are very controller-friendly? Channeling skills, Ancestral totems, "aim in a general direction and watch things die" skills like Sunder and EQ. Probably not a coincidence either.
Path of Easy has been a thing long before xbox version was even announced

The console version has been a thing long before it was announced, that's how development works. Tencent closed the deal a year ago, we are probably already seeing changes in the development mentality related to this. Look at every feature that was implemented, specially the ones that make less sense and ask yourself, in the light of knowing that Tencent was already breathing down their necks.
"
LucasBacker wrote:
"
DrCola wrote:
"
suszterpatt wrote:
Also, did we notice how a lot of the newer skills are very controller-friendly? Channeling skills, Ancestral totems, "aim in a general direction and watch things die" skills like Sunder and EQ. Probably not a coincidence either.
Path of Easy has been a thing long before xbox version was even announced

The console version has been a thing long before it was announced, that's how development works. Tencent closed the deal a year ago, we are probably already seeing changes in the development mentality related to this. Look at every feature that was implemented, specially the ones that make less sense and ask yourself, in the light of knowing that Tencent was already breathing down their necks.

And what features that were implemented that make less sense?
Xbox has been behind the scenes since Forsaken masters and people loved these kinds of content. Everyone fucking LOVED Breach which was 3-4 months before the xbone announcement.
Xbox didn't seem to hamper any of that content did it? It might have disgruntled people that prefer the slow gameplay of 2012-2013 though.
Last edited by DrCola on May 22, 2018, 6:43:53 PM
"
DrCola wrote:
Xbox has been behind the scenes since Forsaken masters and people loved these kinds of content. Everyone fucking LOVED Breach which was 3-4 months before the xbone announcement.
Xbox didn't seem to hamper any of that content did it? It might have disgruntled people that prefer the slow gameplay of 2012-2013 though.

I don't know toneshift in the story, setting, characters and even models are a high possibility. You saw how badly the chinese trailer treated the Chinese players, like if they were actually had low intelligence, needing everything spelt out for them, I'm not one of them, but if that trailer were for a regional version dedicated to where I live I'd be insulted. It's not a big leap to think that a company which believes that of their clients wouldn't also push for a casualization, how many times things were made easier on the past year?

I did notice that there was a lot less emphasis on the grimness of the setting, it's pretty much a goddamn anime plot at this point. Hell we can go back in time, we can kill gods, we could surely save every goddamn friendly NPC that died. Back in the day the story was about a desperate attempt for survival, peaking with the ominous presence of a lovercraftian beast. I'm not saying that I don't like the current tone, but I surely do miss the old game, both in gameplay and in story.
"
DrCola wrote:
"
LucasBacker wrote:

Bit of a side point, but one could make a case that Breach caused long-term harm to the game.

Breach was a spedkill loot shower league. Then we had Legacy, where people had access to Breach. Then we had Harbinger, which while not quite as ludicrous, was still a loot shower league, followed by Abyss. For over a year, the current league mechanic was all about throwing excessive amounts of monsters and loot at you.

Then we have Beastiary, and people cry about alc drop rates and slow speeds, because hey guess what, the base game is slow and sparse compared to league mechanics that were explicitly designed to be faster and denser. And so GGG keep painting themselves into a corner with more power creep, more clearspeed, and less variety in design. That's the last thing you want to do in a F2P game where you survive on player retention.

This might sound patronizing, but it's true: the developer/player relationship is not dissimilar to the parent/child relationship. Players never want to eat their greens, they always just want candy. And when you give them some, they always want more. It's the devs' responsibility to make sure the players balance their intake, and GGG has already been doing a terrible job at that.

And now they have even more reason to focus on short-term gains. In the last Baeclast, Chris mentioned several times the notion of "throwing money in the entertainment bin", as in putting resources into something with no guaranteed, tangible, monetary return. Will Tencent let them throw away the same amount of their money? I wouldn't count on it.
"
kuciol wrote:
OMFG this is getting stupid. All those topics change nothing, it already happened, deal with it or leave if it hurts you so much. Crying over and over again changes nothing. DO YOU REALLY WANT THEM TO FAIL SO MUCH? I see no other reason for all this bulshit. It not bad until its bad. Nothing happened yet, game is the same as it was.

People have every right to voice their opinions about it. Especially if they were part of the original supporters that even allowed GGG to become who they are today.
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym
"
IMSilver wrote:
This is OBVIOUS to anyone with HALF a BRAIN...............! GGG is NO LONGER GGG just like how Blizzard DIED when Activision bought them out! It's OVER!

Blizzard died before Activision got them, they got to the size where they no longer needed anything but polish and live up to it absolutely
Imagine you're an average Joe and meet a girl ;
She pimps you out a lil bit ;
New haircut new clothes new perfume w/e...

Then you start noticing more girls are interested in you out-of-nowhere.
You decide to forget about the initial girl and go for the hottest piece of meat around ;
Bonus if shes got rich parents.

Ofc that new girl would never have noticed you if it wasn't for the initial girl ; but that's just how life works! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"
teksuoPOE wrote:
Imagine you're an average Joe and meet a girl ;
She pimps you out a lil bit ;
New haircut new clothes new perfume w/e...

Then you start noticing more girls are interested in you out-of-nowhere.
You decide to forget about the initial girl and go for the hottest piece of meat around ;
Bonus if shes got rich parents.

Ofc that new girl would never have noticed you if it wasn't for the initial girl ; but that's just how life works! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ROFL. That's a damn good analogy actually. Great post my friend. I feel like the first girl, and now sad he left (GGG)...
"Good thing they nerfed the carto, it wasn't fun to find one in every map." - Haborym
Last edited by monkuar on May 28, 2018, 2:30:52 PM
Interesting. I hadnt really thought of all those changes like CoC nerf being for xbone. Just thought they were OP so they killed them off. I miss good CoC. With VP nerf wouldnt even be op with zero cooldown but i guess they cant bring it back in any good form because xbone.

Blade Flurry feels like a xbone/controller skill too. Hate that skill even though it's pretty much only boss killer "melee" dps wise we use anymore.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on May 28, 2018, 2:44:25 PM
B E T R A Y E D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info