What in the Elder's name is "weight"?

Apparently, from the most recent Baeclast (and previous statements before that), we're never going to get auto-arranging inventories, and likely even not rotatable items, cos Chris feels stuff should have "weight". We're also not gonna get auto-pickup of currency (customizable, of course) because of this mysterious quality it lends drops. So basically, we're gonna be playing inventory tetris forever - https://clips.twitch.tv/AltruisticAmazingWormPunchTrees

So I'd like to know what this mysterious property is, and how it mystically benefits the game? Who came up with the idea, and what argument did they make that Chris seems so thoroughly convinced by? If I'm getting a richer gameplay experience, I'd like to be able to recognize said experience.
Last edited by Exile009 on May 20, 2018, 10:28:06 PM
Last bumped on May 21, 2018, 11:43:43 PM
I'll bite.

"Weight" here refers to the worth of an item drop.
Each item should have their own "weight" affecting a player's decision to pick them up or not.

It's not that significant when playing through the story as waypoints and portals are plenty so you can offload your inventory any time.
"Weight" plays a big part when you start mapping as you have limited no. of tries (6) per map.
I have an Alien pet.
Last edited by kelongngu on May 20, 2018, 10:43:55 PM
"
kelongngu wrote:
I'll bite.

"Weight" here refers to the worth of an item drop.
Each item should have their own "weight" affecting a player's decision to pick them up or not.

It's not that significant when playing through the story as waypoints and portals are plenty so you can offload your inventory any time.
"Weight" plays a big part when you start mapping as you have limited no. of tries (6) per map.

Fair enough, but that's just about limited space. I'm not asking for an unlimited inventory here. This is about an auto-sorting inventory, as well as auto-pickup of currency. That doesn't give us any more space, just reduces how often we have to stop to manually re-arrange stuff, and manually clicking all the orbs that're all identical items. Apparently, that stuff lends "weight" to items as well...somehow.
Items should feel like items, not like icons with numbers attached that have no meaning. 'Weight', in this case, is the idea that a longsword should feel like a longsword, and that picking up a ring is supposed to be easier than picking up a battleaxe.

I mean, if you really want efficiency of inventory optimization, just give each character twenty Loot Slots to pick up whatever item they see. A Loot Slot shows the item name, and you can mouse over it to get a list of stats, but there's no art for it. A ring is the same size as a Disfavour, currency just goes into a Wallet tab of your inventory and is shown as nothing but numbers. I.e. 'you currently have 336 Scrolls of Wisdom', with no art and no even mildly physical usage of the item. Right-click a Lot Slot and hit 'Identify', or hit the 'Identify All Loot Slots' button. Once your twenty Loot Slots are full you go back to town and sell stuff, or buy one of the fifty-point Loot Slot Upgrades that expands your backpack by five slots or such. You never see items, you never use currency save through right-click commands, and everything is the same - but the game is a lot more efficient. Kinda like the Path of Building item menu, really.

Does that sound like refried ass to you? If so, that's because Chris wants items to have weight - that is, a sense of physical tangibility in the game world, a certain presence and heft that means the item feels like an item and not just a slottable buff you can toggle on or off for a given theoretical bodywear slot.

If all of that sounds great to you and like an ideal rebuild of the inventory system? Congratulations: you don't care about weight/heft/tangibility, and likely care less about the verisimilitude of the world than a lot of other players do. Which is fine - but a lot of folks would disagree with you.
"
1453R wrote:
Items should feel like items, not like icons with numbers attached that have no meaning. 'Weight', in this case, is the idea that a longsword should feel like a longsword, and that picking up a ring is supposed to be easier than picking up a battleaxe.

I mean, if you really want efficiency of inventory optimization, just give each character twenty Loot Slots to pick up whatever item they see. A Loot Slot shows the item name, and you can mouse over it to get a list of stats, but there's no art for it. A ring is the same size as a Disfavour, currency just goes into a Wallet tab of your inventory and is shown as nothing but numbers. I.e. 'you currently have 336 Scrolls of Wisdom', with no art and no even mildly physical usage of the item. Right-click a Lot Slot and hit 'Identify', or hit the 'Identify All Loot Slots' button. Once your twenty Loot Slots are full you go back to town and sell stuff, or buy one of the fifty-point Loot Slot Upgrades that expands your backpack by five slots or such. You never see items, you never use currency save through right-click commands, and everything is the same - but the game is a lot more efficient. Kinda like the Path of Building item menu, really.

Does that sound like refried ass to you? If so, that's because Chris wants items to have weight - that is, a sense of physical tangibility in the game world, a certain presence and heft that means the item feels like an item and not just a slottable buff you can toggle on or off for a given theoretical bodywear slot.

If all of that sounds great to you and like an ideal rebuild of the inventory system? Congratulations: you don't care about weight/heft/tangibility, and likely care less about the verisimilitude of the world than a lot of other players do. Which is fine - but a lot of folks would disagree with you.

Once again, that's about space. I'm not talking about space, or even shape. I'm talking about how, or why, auto-sorting those (still sizable and still with differing shapes) items is somehow key to this whole 'weight' thing. And even the auto-pickup part is directed only at currency items, which already stack (and I'm not asking for increases to the stack limits either) and all do the same things.
You are going too abstract here. Get a semi full inventory and then try to pick up a ring. Super simple. Now pick up a coronal maul. You might have to juggle some stuff around to get it in your inventory. Weight.

So another jeweler orb weighs almost nothing, but a 6s weighs a lot. You are thinking “space” and “fit” based on visual queues, but since making your character run slower is crap (seee Skyrim’s loot system), a simple visual system is best. Why does a tower shield take up more space than a buckler? It weighs more.

As for auto sort, well the things that weigh less pretty much aren’t a worry. It’s the heavier things that present a challenge
Last edited by quicksixteen on May 20, 2018, 11:58:05 PM
"
Exile009 wrote:

Once again, that's about space. I'm not talking about space, or even shape. I'm talking about how, or why, auto-sorting those (still sizable and still with differing shapes) items is somehow key to this whole 'weight' thing. And even the auto-pickup part is directed only at currency items, which already stack (and I'm not asking for increases to the stack limits either) and all do the same things.

A "Click Here to Optimize Loot" button takes away some of that verisimilitude the item size/shape/whatever system is trying to add. If the items automagically rearrange themselves into whatever form fits your automagical backpack best, why bother giving them different sizes and art and such in the first place? Some folks just don't care because your backpack is already magic enough top carry half a dozen full-sized suits of armor, but other folks do. That and auto-sorting logic is potentially more difficult to write than it seems.

It's a minor quibble that only really tends to grind the gears of Ultra Speedclear Every-Second-Counts folks, who don't generally want to pick up loot larger/less valuable than exalted orbs anyways. Could they get away with it? Probably. See Guild Wars 2's system for how it'd look, though. I dunno as I want that in my Path of Exile, even if it'd make looting bows easier.
If items have 'value' weight - rarity of uniques, ect, it would be a real boon if that could be a displayable stat beside drops.

So, say, if we see a chain belt drop it would have next to the name (3) [being general value weight]. If said item was unique but unidentified it might show (4) [value weight among all unique chain belts], if it were identified the weight might jump to (7) on a 1-10 scale, with thinks like Headhunter showing as (*) [weight above value range].

Just a thought - complex as heck to parse, because I might value chain belts higher because I'm ES build, but something to consider.
Patch Notes 3.15:
Fixed a bug where players believed the game was playable. This has been corrected and made retroactive.
Patch Notes 3.19:
Fixed a bug where players adapted to 3.15. This bug cannot be corrected, so we have implemented a 90% reduction in item access as a punishment.
I blame David Brevik.
"
1453R wrote:
It's a minor quibble that only really tends to grind the gears of Ultra Speedclear Every-Second-Counts folks, who don't generally want to pick up loot larger/less valuable than exalted orbs anyways. Could they get away with it? Probably. See Guild Wars 2's system for how it'd look, though. I dunno as I want that in my Path of Exile, even if it'd make looting bows easier.

I guess that makes sense, not that I like it. Though, tbh, I'm the exact opposite of these "Ultra Speedclear Every-Second-Counts folks" - I play the game slowly, and pick up a good deal of the loot (yes, I already use a filter). I'm quite happy identifying and vendoring rares - since I play at a more relaxed pace, I have to count on cranking the RNG wheel more by picking up more rather than running more maps. Suits me fine, but it does result in me having to play inventory tetris way too often (and in parties, I've lost good drops - cos they lose their perm allocation after you drop them - more times than I'd care to count to my inventory being "full" (without actually being full). Hence the request. Similarly, I pick up almost all currency items (yes, I pick up wisdom scrolls too - and actually have to use them a fair amount due to aforementioned item hunting) - hence why auto-pickup matters to me, since clicking individually on each of them after virtually every pack killed is a pain.
Last edited by Exile009 on May 21, 2018, 11:17:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info