Tencent has Invested in Grinding Gear Games

"
Williamsii wrote:

Both of those games were amazingly supported YEARS after their release.

Supported for you it's keeping online servers and deliver a patch every 2 year? When there was no competitor on market? Noice
[/quote]

(okay, not sure how exactly the above quote was messed up, but my message is below)

Frankly, D2 and WC3 were amazing games and only needed servers, they didn't need any further development. That was in the era of release and forget, when games typically didn't have bucketloads of expansions. Having said that, a certain amazing mod revitalised D2, and WC3 had amazing moddability built in (DOTA), so it could be argued that having the servers online was enough to consider them supported.

OT, though. People are a lot more demanding though, in this social media era.
Last edited by Wuffell on May 21, 2018, 7:54:04 AM
Damn i just hope GGG doesn't go the way of Blizzard and Mythic where EA shat on everything those companies used to stand for.
I am glad to see this "independent" GGG company's intentions. People should have cut the crap of thinking "oh they are so great, they think their funbase most, omg so happy". They made the game, got the money from people by telling sweet dreams and sold the company for millions. Sorry kids thats how it works in business.
Last edited by ariakas6165 on May 21, 2018, 7:54:52 AM
"
ariakas6165 wrote:
I am glad to see this "independent" GGG company's intentions. People should have cut the crap of thinking "oh they are so great, they think their funbase most, omg so happy". They made the game, got the money from people by telling sweet dreams and sold the company for millions. Sorry kids thats how it works in business.

Tone down the cynicism, and ask yourself, what would you do in Chris Wilson's place that would be the best chance for the game to survive long into the future without a shoestring budget?

Given the amount of screeching recently about every change, nerf, or buff, I somehow doubt things would be as smooth from here on out on that front, so personally I don't blame him for doing what had to be done.

1337 21gn17ur3
"
"
ariakas6165 wrote:

Tone down the cynicism, and ask yourself, what would you do in Chris Wilson's place that would be the best chance for the game to survive long into the future without a shoestring budget?

Sell less than 50% so I don't get screwed and actually have control of my company.
Tencent owns a majority stake of GGG, this means that Tencent will decide the path of "path of exile", the original founders of GGG will not have final word. Also, i think that you're deluded about Tencent's true intentions. All this thread looks like sugar-coating a shit.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
"
Will Tencent try to change Path of Exile?

No. We spoke to CEOs of other companies that Tencent has invested in, and have been assured that Tencent has never tried to interfere with game design or operations outside of China.

You spoke to CEOs of other companies? What about speaking to... Well... The freakin company itself you were in neogations with for the last weeks if not months?!

This answer alone makes no sense and shows how fishy the whole deal respectively the announcement of it is. You can only speculate how huge the (guaranteed) upcoming changes will be and what GGG is trying to cover here.

"
We retain full control of Path of Exile and will only make changes that we feel are best for the game.

You can't. With Tencent holding 80% of GGG now (source) Chris, Jonathan and Erik might stay in control operatively, but whenever Tencent wants to change a single decision or a complete direction, they just overrule everthing.
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill
just saw this link https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12055682 and somewhere there...

i saw this
"
"We have a lot of cool plans for the future," Wilson said.
"Our operations team who run Path of Exile in China have some neat ideas for how to make the game culturally appropriate for the region and have some cool China-centric ideas."

china-centric ideas? like in act 15 i can't kill Bao-Li because i dont have the "Twin Red Crane Xiang(spear) that throws sleeping-monk thunderfist" u get what i mean right? (that would be a different game already..not poe..pls dont change the lore you already have.)

c'mon man,are you sure bout this? you didn't tell me they want this..you don't need their region..you got the world here already.. let's hit the exit door dude..let's find somebody else..who knows maybe a group of streamers or players can fund us if we ask..our Herald Bex can ask them.. im loving Xuatzocoatl already and im friends with the pokemons.. i still have their balls in my pocket, see..

that's what i'll say if i'm really close to Chris..im still thinking maybe Chris will use this as a step only from indie to mainstream and then switch.. but 80% share given..can he still bail out?

but seriously.. wherever you go..as long as its free..i'll be your player. but if you listen, you got more than me as your fan/player.

edit: i will still play Path of Exile... but not Dao of Liuwang.
Last edited by Seth_Ken on May 21, 2018, 8:11:33 AM
This is very, very concerning indeed. Especially the phrase: "Don't worry guys, nothing will change" has been heard many times in the past,but the outcome of these words is well known.... Everything will change, very slightly but steadily. The monetization of the game will increase heavily (paid hc resurrection?), that's all an investor cares about. No, this news is not good..... :-(

Edit:
"
Khy wrote:
"

"
We retain full control of Path of Exile and will only make changes that we feel are best for the game.

You can't. With Tencent holding 80% of GGG now (source) Chris, Jonathan and Erik might stay in control operatively, but whenever Tencent wants to change a single decision or a complete direction, they just overrule everthing.

80% of GGG, thx for the information and good point.
Last edited by Falb on May 21, 2018, 8:15:45 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info