Make a simple PvP Town map

Was bored of mapping, just tried to do something else in this game : started a pvp match but the maps are tiny and the collisions are very frustrating in these areas full of obstacles and pillars. Then I tried to go to the sarn arena, and it's just an immense mess of people brawling without breathing you are thrown in this area you've got 22 seconds to move before someone comes and headshots you and if you try to cast your auras/heralds you've got a big chance to be killed without moving a toe.

Seriously it wouldn't be complicated to make something like a "Rogue Encampment" (in PoE with the theme of the Lioneye's watch for example) map where you can just freely go outside - brawl - or stay in town without being either teleported to these pvp arena maps or having to go to this sarn arena. And people would be free to make some parties as they wish like 2 vs 1 or 1 vs 6 or whatever really. It just has to be simple.

And ideally it would be nice, once you enter this map to get all your gems adapted to the PvP (with a [PvP] tag added to them for instance) with a very rough balance just to avoid being 1 shot no more.

I think GGG should have done this kind of thing for their past PvP mini expansion instead of trying to make an organized PvP which requires a lot more resources which they do not have - or are not willing to spend for it.

EDIT : Please show your support if you are interested by this suggestion, it's important !

EDIT#2 : For those who didn’t play Diablo 2 « Rogue encampment » is the city of the first act, where you could go outside without any instance (it’s like imagining going outside Act1 in PoE , to the Twilight Strand, without a loading screen).

EDIT#3 : Example of the PvP in D2 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC5XRhMJ4P8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvNIhvOTp8k
📜My hideout thread : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2542497
Last edited by Synopsis on Feb 11, 2019, 5:44:48 PM
Last bumped on Feb 11, 2019, 5:23:14 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Expert PVPer here.

We have Sarn Arena. All we need is damage nerfs, unkillable characters impossible to make, reduce AOE overlap/shotgunning, and bam. Fixed PVP. Sarn Arena will be fun again. PVP community will do its own tournaments without having to blacklist 90% of the content added since 2.0.

Also any expansion that further dedicates itself to PVP will need to focus on HLD, not LLD (eff Greendude).

inb4 casuals saying "there's PVP in this game?" and the like.
Lavender or Leave.
PvPresident, 2016
//
You'd better run.
“EA is fine” -relith
"
Synopsis wrote:
Was bored of mapping, just tried to do something else in this game : started a pvp match but the maps are tiny and the collisions are very frustrating in these areas full of obstacles and pillars. Then I tried to go to the sarn arena, and it's just an immense mess of people brawling without breathing you are thrown in this area you've got 22 seconds to move before someone comes and headshots you and if you try to cast your auras/heralds you've got a big chance to be killed without moving a toe.

Seriously it wouldn't be complicated to make something like a sort of "rogue encampment" (in PoE with the theme of the Lioneye's watch for example) map where you can just freely go outside - brawl - or stay in town without being either teleported to these pvp maps or having to go to this sarn arena. And the people would be free to make some parties as they wish like 2 vs 1 or 1 vs 6 or whatever really. It just has be simple.

And ideally it would be nice, once you enter this map to get all your gems adapted to the PvP (with a PvP tag added to them for instance) with a very rough balance just to avoid being 1 shot no more.

I think GGG should have done this kind of thing for their past PvP mini expansion instead of trying to make an organized PvP which requires a lot more resources which they have not.

Ah thats a good idea! I remeber the good old time in Diablo 2, in 2011 when with my hybrid Assasin lvl 97 (VuVu) I go outside of Rogue Encampment and slaughter every player :P
The Holy Bible
"
Expert PVPer here.

We have Sarn Arena. All we need is damage nerfs, unkillable characters impossible to make, reduce AOE overlap/shotgunning, and bam. Fixed PVP. Sarn Arena will be fun again. PVP community will do its own tournaments without having to blacklist 90% of the content added since 2.0.

Also any expansion that further dedicates itself to PVP will need to focus on HLD, not LLD (eff Greendude).

As someone way more experienced with PvP than me, do you think PvP could be made balanced (or at least to within reasonable limits) by just numerical adjustments? Or do some skills/items require fundamental mechanical changes to be balanced for PvP?
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Mar 25, 2018, 4:07:19 AM
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
"
Expert PVPer here.

As someone way more experienced with PvP than me, do you think PvP could be made balanced (or at least to within reasonable limits) by just numerical adjustments? Or do some skills/items require fundamental mechanical changes to be balanced for PvP?

balance can only occur when you remove the pve aspect as someone will always have some unkillable combination. Or some skill to kill you off screen, or some other cheap mechanic.
You would need pvp only gear , and pvp only variants of skills.
Perhaps some kind of multicraft for gear.

until then it will always be just an ego stroke.
"
Expert PVPer here.

To me Sarn Arena is a rapidly made free for all pvp area added to the game because it was a frequent suggestion at that time. They released it but to me even with the perfect balance of the gems it would still remain unfunny for the simple reason than it's an arena, which means once you're there you constantly have to plough into the players hoping that you'll kill one or two on your way before you get killed as it gets crowded very fast and there's not any other alternative than doing this (instead of staying in town and then going outside something which was terribly simple in D2 but very efficient in terms of fun). Adding to this that the atmopshere of the area is approximately equal to zero it's definitely not a part of the game i want to stay in. I'd rather like to get an area specifically dedicated to this purpose with a decent atmosphere and the simplicity of what I said in my first post, I'm sure it would get a lot of success.
📜My hideout thread : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2542497
Last edited by Synopsis on Feb 12, 2019, 6:19:47 AM
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
"
Expert PVPer here.

Absolutely. Some items themselves need adjustments and limiting, we need caps to things like elemental penetration and AOE overlap, but with some fine-tuning and damage reduction, we could be alright. We just need to have the extreme ends of the spectrum brought into order, those being unkillable characters, and everyone else getting 1-shot. Then all the other stuff like off-screen meta, shit like that. It ain't terribly hard, it's just some people make a bigger deal about it than necessary.
Lavender or Leave.
PvPresident, 2016
//
You'd better run.
“EA is fine” -relith
I think ascendancies and pantheon should be disabled in pvp. And the damage algorythm is stupid for me ppl just doing 10k characters with 50k armour since damage algorythm disables scaling it well. In my opinion the damage algorythm should be changed from ((D/ T) / 125)^0.61 * 125 * T
To Dps^0.9*0.1 or something like that so scaling damage and attack/castspeed makes sense.
"
godimmo wrote:
I think ascendancies and pantheon should be disabled in pvp. And the damage algorythm is stupid for me ppl just doing 10k characters with 50k armour since damage algorythm disables scaling it well. In my opinion the damage algorythm should be changed from ((D/ T) / 125)^0.61 * 125 * T
To Dps^0.9*0.1 or something like that so scaling damage and attack/castspeed makes sense.

open minded math god wanting to pvp. I like you.

Yea I think first of all sarn arena problem is hill+shrine. Get ride of shrine or add activated traps on it who can be activated at distance to counter derpfinder/tank/EA hill campers.

Then balance of skills abusing no cast speed like trap/mines- cwtd or volatile dead and give all projectile disminishing return damage when offscreening.

Also spawn in sarn should have indefinite time but also player should not be able to damage other until their first move.

Finaly 1 vs 1 should drop ears or something when winning a match. ear collection was teh most fun shit in diablo 2
Forum pvp
"
lolozori wrote:

Yea I think first of all sarn arena problem is hill+shrine. Get ride of shrine or add activated traps on it who can be activated at distance to counter derpfinder/tank/EA hill campers.

Then balance of skills abusing no cast speed like trap/mines- cwtd or volatile dead and give all projectile disminishing return damage when offscreening.

Also spawn in sarn should have indefinite time but also player should not be able to damage other until their first move.

Finaly 1 vs 1 should drop ears or something when winning a match. ear collection was teh most fun shit in diablo 2

I think for the hill, let's just reduce the distance we see player names and shit lol. Reduce it to 150 or 180 units or some shit, something so players can at least have the element of surprise on campers.

I'd like to think attenuation would be good for projectiles would be a good thing, and having Far Shot could be the only real way to negate it.

And let's not forget something really important is the reduction in power to Pathfinder, who already trivializes end-game content far more easily than most, and her inherent superiority in PVP. That bitch needs to be taken down several pegs, no more ailment immunity, no more massive damage boosts and alarmingly-high attack speed, lower her global pen to like, 2% or 4%. Just make the bitch a defensive class or some shit.
Lavender or Leave.
PvPresident, 2016
//
You'd better run.
“EA is fine” -relith

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info