Can we talk about trade etiquette?

"
daegda wrote:
Honestly, at this point..
Why can't GGG just make it so that a person's stash in their hideout behaves like a psudo NPC. Where, if a person comes and clicks on the hideout stash it shows ONLY the public sale tabs of the person who's hideout it is. So, they go and find the item themselves and pick it up from a sales tab as if they were buying for a town NPC. Then it will automatically deduct the currency from their own inventory or currency tab. Then when the person selling the item looks at their sales tab the currency will have replaced the item.. Then no issues...

Simple... invite and trade, and it is done. People can purchase stuff on their own time... easy to implement and saves the headache.

It could even be as simple as being able to toggle from your own stash, and the person's sales stash.
No need for a legit auction house... find your item on the site and then go and grab it when you get an invite..

I'd be fine with this as long as people can only view it while you're logged in. The scary thing with an AH are people affecting the game's economy without playing, and that may be happening now with trade bots but GGG's going to be bringing that on themselves

I don't want an AH after the disaster that is every scam-house in all MMOs/ARPGs, but I don't know why we can't let people take from our public as in not private stash tabs when we're not there. Although the mess of having 10 people join your party while the item is slowly removed from the trade sites would be funny to watch, and there'd need to be a way to lock portals so people don't just troll everybody trading, and I have a feeling that'll never happen
As for trolling with map portals, simply lock portal entry from party members unless they are on your friends list. Simple fix

I also agree with the (only view-able while logged in)
I agree! And also, it's common decency to say THANK YOU after a trade. Way too many people just get the item and then leave without saying anything. Annoys me every time!
You should have given them the redmane treatment.. Make a statement!
We can talk all we want about trading etiquette. (threads like this pop out at least twice a league)

Thing is some people will set themselves to ignorant asshole mode as soon as the PoE client starts and there's nothing we can do about it.

Would you bail out on a 5c sale just because the buyer joined your hide and sent a trade request while you were still searching for the item? I highly doubt that. And if you hold the flag on the forums; but would not cuss the fuck out of an ignorant buyer ingame just because you'd lose a 5c sale ;then there's no point in talking about etiquette if you're not willing to educate people the hard way.

Even if every PoE player read this thread there would still be plenty of people walking away having learned nothing.

-join hideout
-trade window
-currency
-item
-accept
-leave group
-trap cage
-back to mapping

best transaction right there. all of this T4t stuff is annoying, You're busy i'm busy, why waste time yall know?
Great points, definitely a sticky
"I've played a lot of videogames. It's my primary recreational activity. Best games ever: Elden Ring and Diablo 4."
~Elon Musk, 2023
Yeah, trading is sometimes a face-palming endeavor. GGG now has the web app for searching items, so perhaps trading tools within the client itself is next? They're in XBox, so when will they appear in the PC version? So much community push back on an auction house, yet we can have tools without making it a full-fledged auction house. Still waiting for better trade from GGG. And waiting. And waiting.

My trading pet peeves:

1.) No response. How hard is it to shoot out a PM? If someone offers you exactly what you wanted, and you go from hideout to map a couple times, it's pretty darn obvious you're just ignoring the buyer. It makes me wonder if the sellers are not just botting their gameplay during that time. I've had it happen the other way too: buyer PMs me the copied trade message, I send a party invite, it gets declined, so I PM, and no response. Just PM people when you're no longer interested.

2.) Spamming the trade PM. Once is enough, I don't need to get a trade PM three times to 'get my attention'. Give sellers at least a minute to respond if they're in the middle of a boss fight or something. Do a /whois on them to see. I will certainly invite or at least PM when I'm out of combat.

3.) Buyer tries to initiate the trade request. This always annoys me. When you enter someone's hideout to buy an item, let them start the trade request. They're most likely referencing the PM with the position in their tabs and trying to find the item after they invited you.

...and this topic will go on and on until GGG actually does something about trading. We've had "trading improvements, phase 1"... then no phase 2. We had XBox with trade, then no PC trade. We have xyz-look-alike web app (nice step), but then no follow-through.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Last edited by cipher_nemo on Mar 20, 2018, 4:42:48 PM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
I think people should be a rude as possible so GGG get off butt and we get a superior AH and not stuck in 1990s trade chat

Yeah but if they did that, how would the scammers scam?
"
Y1kes wrote:
I agree! And also, it's common decency to say THANK YOU after a trade. Way too many people just get the item and then leave without saying anything. Annoys me every time!

This and the impatient ones annoy me the most - but then I remind myself of D2 trading.

My very first trade I didn't know what to click or right click or mouse-over. Luckily the person who was probably annoyed was patient and understanding and even came to my hideout while I was desperately trying to figure out the interface since it was the first time I'd ever seen it.

But it boggles my mind that some people who also apparently play the game expect instantaneous responses and trades. Sure, if someone is in their hideout they'll be a lot faster than if they're mid boss fight and need to finish before hitting their stash.

The other day I went to buy a leveled gem - user invited me to hideout - I provided the requested payment and they just ended up canceling. I think they added the gem back into their build but couldn't make an effort to respond and eventually just left not even taking the time to say yes when I asked if they changed their mind.

If there's a language barrier, if I got an actual response regardless if I could read it or not would be more respectable.
Yep, totally over league play.
A question... What's the etiquette when a seller offers an alternate item?

I've had a number of trades recently where I've been offered a variant item (eg: a white map instead of an unID-ed rare, a 4s chest instead of a 6s, a unique with crappier rolls than advertised, etc.)

I've just cancelled the trade and left on the few occasions this has occurred, assuming that the seller was trying to do a bait-n-switch. Acceptable practice, or do most people call the seller out when that happens?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info