[3.2] Explosive Scorching Ray Elementalist (and Friends) - cheap - Shaper viable

So I was theorycrafting an explosion build with inpulsa for like a week now and a couple days ago finally stumbled upon this, awesome concept!
(along with this one https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2113565)

Leveled it and used shield charge to proc shock + MoM RF for really fast map clear up to about lvl 76 where RF was too squishy and hardly sustainable. Swapped shield charge for ball lightning and played a bit swapping RF/SR here and there trying different stuff, just hit lvl 80 to get the Stormfire ring.

Was trying different things to proc explosions with only Ball lightning without Scorching ray and right now using Herald of Thunder + Ball lightning and Scorching ray for touch packs/bosses and it feels INCREDIBLE. Mere words can't describe the feeling.

I will post a video soon maybe in a different thread even cause there are quite a few changes departing from your concept. Still have a lot of gearing to do pretty much haven't changed it since hitting maps except for stormfire.

Props for putting this together :>
https://streamable.com/tihxm

Short and laggy preview :P
For now the HoT combo only really works up to about T9, but since my gear is trash (like really bad) and my HoT setup isn't exactly optimized yet I'm pretty sure I can hit higher tier maps without using scorching ray for clearing too much.
hello all !
i m new to the game
i dont understand haw you can pop more than one golem
golem gem s text say : only one golem
and i didin t see in the the build what allows you to summun more than one

thank you for this build
i ll try top make it my first one in the game (im 52 now)
"
Ninjaponey wrote:
hello all !
i m new to the game
i dont understand haw you can pop more than one golem
golem gem s text say : only one golem
and i didin t see in the the build what allows you to summun more than one

thank you for this build
i ll try top make it my first one in the game (im 52 now)
You unlock extra golems later on with your elementalist ascendancy.
I'd use them in the following priority order:
Stone -> Lightning -> Flame

By the way, this build is easy to gear, but uses some rather complicated mechanics.
Make sure you stick to the required/recommended items, otherwise you might end up dealing a lot less damage.
Builds and Guides:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2198879
Does it really matter how much cold damage there is on the abyss jewel? I saw yours has a pretty high number + it is likely set in the belt doubling that (tho' I assume it's mainly for the HP) - now given how ailments work you would need a set ammount of cold to even apply chill at all but does the new beacon of ruin take care of that entirely? May be a silly question but I haven't played and elementalist for a few seasons and I'm not sure how it works now. Since it says "chill from your hits slows for at least 10%" - it does not say that cold damage is guaranteed to cause that ailment. So do you actually need to pass the 0,33% threshold for chill for this to proc or does it automatically works for even 1 cold damage dealt.

Anyways - level 78 right now and it feels really good. Especially the clear speed - it's comparable to ED or RF not to mention the juiciness (what is that even :O) of those detonations. Like someone was droppin' mini nukes <3
Last edited by werchiel on Apr 3, 2018, 5:25:58 AM
Awesome build man! I'm really enjoying it and so far the build can run almost every map mod and just feels great to play. I have yet to invest in a 6 link Inpulsa and better gear.

The only thing that bugs me is that MoM can be irritating at times. Like if you stand in degen or are in a no regen map, your mana pool just can't be supported with just the hybrid flask.

Was thinking about switching to pure life or life/es hybrid. Do you have some suggestions?
Edit: or maybe use a different kind of damage mitigation entirly like block or something
Last edited by Mathematical_ on Apr 3, 2018, 9:40:31 AM
"
werchiel wrote:
Does it really matter how much cold damage there is on the abyss jewel? I saw yours has a pretty high number + it is likely set in the belt doubling that (tho' I assume it's mainly for the HP) - now given how ailments work you would need a set ammount of cold to even apply chill at all but does the new beacon of ruin take care of that entirely? May be a silly question but I haven't played and elementalist for a few seasons and I'm not sure how it works now. Since it says "chill from your hits slows for at least 10%" - it does not say that cold damage is guaranteed to cause that ailment. So do you actually need to pass the 0,33% threshold for chill for this to proc or does it automatically works for even 1 cold damage dealt.

Anyways - level 78 right now and it feels really good. Especially the clear speed - it's comparable to ED or RF not to mention the juiciness (what is that even :O) of those detonations. Like someone was droppin' mini nukes <3
With Beacon of Ruin you only need to deal 1 damage to get the ailment effect, it bypasses the threshold. This is the reason your Ball Lightning can shock aswell.

The awesome thing is this can be scaled with Ailment Effectiveness to reach the caps (30% chill / 50% shock) aswell.
I.e. Inpulsa's Broken Heart with 40% shock effectiveness will cause 1 lightning damage to shock for 28% instead of 20%.

"
Mathematical_ wrote:
Awesome build man! I'm really enjoying it and so far the build can run almost every map mod and just feels great to play. I have yet to invest in a 6 link Inpulsa and better gear.

The only thing that bugs me is that MoM can be irritating at times. Like if you stand in degen or are in a no regen map, your mana pool just can't be supported with just the hybrid flask.

Was thinking about switching to pure life or life/es hybrid. Do you have some suggestions?
Edit: or maybe use a different kind of damage mitigation entirly like block or something
I started out without MoM, but it is absolutely 100% better to use it.
The regen boot enchant can help you a lot with mana regeneration (it pretty much doubles it).
I would avoid no-regen maps to be honest.

I've tried working in other defenses, with it's just way too much of an investment.
The only thing that's still worth using are flasks, Basalt + Granite of Ironskin are the best choice there IMO.
A Stibnite could work well, too.
Builds and Guides:
Last edited by SHEPUUURD on Apr 3, 2018, 10:06:30 AM
For a new player without the chaos orbs to buy this chest piece is there any rares you might suggest for this build .
"
Desarix wrote:
For a new player without the chaos orbs to buy this chest piece is there any rares you might suggest for this build .
The chest costs 1c in Bestiary League, were you looking at the standard price perhaps?

The build is kind of based around Inpulsa's, so it's a huge drawback not to use it.
If you're going to use a rare, however, you simply want life, mana and resists.
Builds and Guides:
Last edited by SHEPUUURD on Apr 5, 2018, 10:34:14 AM
First of all: this build is superfun, I cannot stop play it, gj man.

On the other hand I just started mapping with it, I'm just ~lvl 72, and I'm testing some changes. For example:

Before anyone think that ailment dam mod work on SR, sadly don't, but the other mod 8% boost for nondam ailments, it's great. I'm using 5 elder item currently, that means 40% improvment for chill + shock - if you count them, it's better, right? :)

Problem is, you cannot do it as budget version, I mean if you don't have the currency to buy proper elder items, just buy as much life as possible + cap your resist on 120-130% otherwise you loose lots of defense from those spots.

I'm using this cheep thingy to for stun immunity, there is a spot for that so, it's absolutely fine. Also curse + frezee immunity. All of them works great (cuz the build doesn't use ice golem).

I'm probably going to roll some nice elder items for myself, cuz I'm kinda a crafter person, but I'm also going to use huge life/def stat items on higher maps before I can get prober elder items. On lvl72, and T8-10 maps, these kinda items do the job, but ofc it's not enough:

Except my belt, it's already great, I made it few weeks before, and I'm keep using it on almost every build of mine.

All in all, great job, I'm gonna share my further experience.

Lvl72 gear

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info