[3.8] A Shocking Elementalist, Lightning Tendrils CwC Arc - All Content - Budget version included

I'm not a HC player so thanks SleepThieff for the HC tips :)

For the Hypothermia questions, the Beacon of Ruin node of the Elementalist means that any Cold hit will Chill any monster for 4s, even the end game bosses. And also, any hit and not only Cold, will Chill during the Chilling Conflux.
Hypothermia gives 39% more Damage with Hits and Ailments against Chilled Enemies, making it one of the best Support Gem for a lot of Elementalist builds.
[3.7] Scourge Arrow, Ignite Proliferation Elementalist. Melt T15 on a budget, All content viable.
pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2222701
Swiks wrote:
For the Hypothermia questions, the Beacon of Ruin node of the Elementalist means that any Cold hit will Chill any monster for 4s, even the end game bosses. And also, any hit and not only Cold, will Chill during the Chilling Conflux.
Hypothermia gives 39% more Damage with Hits and Ailments against Chilled Enemies, making it one of the best Support Gem for a lot of Elementalist builds.

The problem with Hypothemia is it looks good on paper, but practically it's not as effective as you think. Because you use Elemental Focus in your main links, you are not shocking for the chilling conflux and you're not chilling on the shocking conflux, you are only shocking while chilling for 2 seconds of the 14 second cycle. Using your PoB you have the following dps breakdown across the 14 second cycle:

- 1.3mil combined dps for 4 seconds when the chilling conflux is active
- 1.5mil combined dps for 4 seconds when the shocking conflux is active
- 0.9mil combined dps for 4 seconds when the igniting conflux is active
- 2.3mil combined dps for 2 seconds when the combined conflux is active

[(1.3mil*4sec)+(1.5mil*4sec)+(0.9mil*4sec)+(2.3mil*2sec)]/14sec = 1.38mil dps average, and a total of 19.4 million damage done over 14 seconds.

For sure there is an argument for things not taking 14 seconds to kill, but essentially you're averaging out your damage between shock and chill confluxes and for around 30% of the time you play you are essentially playing on a 5L and at worst playing on a 4L for another 30% of your time, meaning you get the benefit of your full 6L dps for 40% of the total play time.

Now if you drop Elemental Focus and Hypothermia and replace them with Controlled Destruction and Lightning Penetration you're at 1.8mil combined dps regardless of conflux status, 100% of the time. Just my 2c.
Last edited by fluxofwar on Nov 20, 2018, 5:46:25 PM
"
fluxofwar wrote:

The problem with Hypothemia is it looks good on paper, but practically it's not as effective as you think. Because you use Elemental Focus in your main links, you are not shocking for the chilling conflux and you're not chilling on the shocking conflux, you are only shocking while chilling for 2 seconds of the 14 second cycle. Using your PoB you have the following dps breakdown across the 14 second cycle:

- 1.3mil combined dps for 4 seconds when the chilling conflux is active
- 1.5mil combined dps for 4 seconds when the shocking conflux is active
- 0.9mil combined dps for 4 seconds when the igniting conflux is active
- 2.3mil combined dps for 2 seconds when the combined conflux is active

[(1.3mil*4sec)+(1.5mil*4sec)+(0.9mil*4sec)+(2.3mil*2sec)]/14sec = 1.38mil dps average, and a total of 19.4 million damage done over 14 seconds.

For sure there is an argument for things not taking 14 seconds to kill, but essentially you're averaging out your damage between shock and chill confluxes and for around 30% of the time you play you are essentially playing on a 5L and at worst playing on a 4L for another 30% of your time, meaning you get the benefit of your full 6L dps for 40% of the total play time.

Now if you drop Elemental Focus and Hypothermia and replace them with Controlled Destruction and Lightning Penetration you're at 1.8mil combined dps regardless of conflux status, 100% of the time. Just my 2c.

If Ele. Focus is linked you can't inflict any ailments at all, even with a conflux. That's why there is a 4L Orb of Storm with Unbound Ailments that is keeping the Chill and Shock up during all the fight, regardless of the Conflux ! The nature of OoS makes it really easy to use and also very reliable.

And as I mentioned in the Gem Links section, Ele. Focus is only used in boss fights so you don't have to use another spell for Chill/Shock while mapping.
[3.7] Scourge Arrow, Ignite Proliferation Elementalist. Melt T15 on a budget, All content viable.
Swiks wrote:
That's why there is a 4L Orb of Storm with Unbound Ailments that is keeping the Chill and Shock up during all the fight

I'm well aware of this working, I only mentioned the Elemental Focus because you're not innately shocking from your main damage source as well as the chills. Do you happen to know by how much Unbounded ailments extends the time the chills and shocks stay? because assuming 20% quality on the gem you have 54% increased duration of ailments, which doesn't seem very long to me. If there is enough overlap it could better in raw numbers however.

Also, your tree can be optimised right here:
Removing the top path of the three Int nodes and using the same amount of points below. You still get +30 Int that the top path gives you as well as some free mana and dex.

Hope that helps.

edit; Correct me if I'm wrong but I just checked the wiki and chill time default is 0.3sec so with unbounded ailments you're at 0.462 sec. Hardly seems worth it as overall it gives you an extra second of shock and chill per 14 second cycle. Unless i'm missing something here.
Last edited by fluxofwar on Nov 20, 2018, 9:16:15 PM
Flux's point was that chill isn't up 100% of the time, because you can only chill for 6 of the 14 seconds throughout Beacon's cycle. Essentially, this means that Hypothermia inflicts NO DAMAGE for about 8 seconds per rotation (maybe it's closer to 7 if you have enough chill duration, but that's stretching it).

Flux is proposing that, instead of using Hypothermia, which is only attributing to damage 42% of the time (6 of the 14 second cycle), why not use something more consistent like Lightning Penetration, which will contribute 100% of the time?

I played this build for quite a few weeks on HC and I will admit that the most difficult part of this build was heavy hp/resistant single targets (where lightning pen shines). This build does not need more clear speed. Lightning pen sounds like a fine swap.

Thanks for your input Flux.
"
SleepThieff wrote:
Flux's point was that chill isn't up 100% of the time, because you can only chill for 6 of the 14 seconds throughout Beacon's cycle. Essentially, this means that Hypothermia inflicts NO DAMAGE for about 8 seconds per rotation (maybe it's closer to 7 if you have enough chill duration, but that's stretching it).

Flux is proposing that, instead of using Hypothermia, which is only attributing to damage 42% of the time (6 of the 14 second cycle), why not use something more consistent like Lightning Penetration, which will contribute 100% of the time?

I played this build for quite a few weeks on HC and I will admit that the most difficult part of this build was heavy hp/resistant single targets (where lightning pen shines). This build does not need more clear speed. Lightning pen sounds like a fine swap.

Thanks for your input Flux.

Yeah that's what I figured. I am more or less tweaking a lot of this build to suit my own playstyle. The hypothermia didn't make much sense to me since you're essentially gimping your 6L to a 5L or 4L for 60% of your entire game play. Hope others like you find my input useful. Have fun man.

edit; just as a side note, I will be experimenting with his set up and see how it feels vs mine. I think his will have good damage still but will spike up and down in damage versus my proposed consistent dps.
Last edited by fluxofwar on Nov 21, 2018, 3:49:16 AM
I think you are misunderstanding something, with the Elementalist's Beacon of Ruin, "Chills from your Hits always Slow by at least 10%" : any Cold hit will Chill regardless of Conflux/Crit/Resistances...
Even a 1 Cold damage non-crit hit will Chill Uber Elder with a 10% minimum slow for the full duration (2 sec, make that 3 sec if it's from the Orb of Storm).
If you look at the Jewel in my Belt, there is a added flat Cold damage to spells, so any hit even from the HoT, the CWDT+Ball Lightning or Tempest Shield will Chill.

Bosses are Shocked and Chilled with zero downtime because we don't rely on the Conflux to do so ! High crit plus %flat chance to Shock from the tree coupled with high Cast Speed and a spell that hits rapidly multiple time over a long period.

The Elementalist already got tons of penetration with her Ascendancy and also in the tree. Even in a Elemental Equilibrium map Hypothermia will outperforms Lightning Pen. because of the diminishing returns of penetration.

For the tree, you are right. I initially didn't go for that Jewel slot near Melding so the path on top was shorter but now it's not justified at all. I edited the guide with the correct tree.
Swiks wrote:
I think you are misunderstanding something, with the Elementalist's Beacon of Ruin, "Chills from your Hits always Slow by at least 10%" : any Cold hit will Chill regardless of Conflux/Crit/Resistances...
Even a 1 Cold damage non-crit hit will Chill Uber Elder with a 10% minimum slow for the full duration (2 sec, make that 3 sec if it's from the Orb of Storm)

Ah yes, this is what I was looking for. I understand why the jewel is there and how it interacts with Beacon of Ruin and Hypothermia now. My only question I have is how do you know the slow is 2secs and 3secs with orb of storms? If that is true then everything I have said is invalid and the I will be using Hypothermia. I remember when they changed the Chill mechanics they said something about 2 sec minimum, but on the wiki all I can find is 0.3sec

Also, about the optimisation of the tree above I pointed out, that works for me because I have enough dexterity from careful planning already + my gear. I think that change is dependant on a persons specific items. Hope it fits with yours. :)
Last edited by fluxofwar on Nov 21, 2018, 5:48:45 AM
"Chills inflicted by hits last for 2 seconds." From the Wiki. 3 sec with Orb of Storm because Unbound Ailments gives around 50% inc duration (depending on quality) so 2*(1 + 0.50). The 0.3sec is when you freeze an enemy, it stays chilled for 0.3s after the freeze ends

Thanks for the feedback anyway, it shows that the guide wasn't clear enough on that part, I will try to improve the Chill and Hypothermia interaction.
Swiks wrote:
"Chills inflicted by hits last for 2 seconds." From the Wiki. 3 sec with Orb of Storm because Unbound Ailments gives around 50% inc duration (depending on quality) so 2*(1 + 0.50). The 0.3sec is when you freeze an enemy, it stays chilled for 0.3s after the freeze ends

Thanks for the feedback anyway, it shows that the guide wasn't clear enough on that part, I will try to improve the Chill and Hypothermia interaction.

Yes I just found this and came back to correct my post. Holy moly I was looking at the wrong part of the wiki. Okay so with a 3 second chill easily inflicted by orb of storms that would reliably give you chills all the time. So definitely Hypothermia is a great support and Ele Focus can go on the main link no problems at all. Sweet, look forward to seeing this work when I finish levelling this character.

Thanks for the explainations mate.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info