[3.3] HeiroFat: the Pen Is Mightier (HC, All Content, Perm IC, Boss Killer)

Idk at this point, the builds decently tanky but it can absolutely die, I wanted to wait till I was close to 90 and doing high tier maps in good gear with the majority of my life and defenses in place.

Ive had 3 deaths that were completely unavoidable, just instantly wrecked in seconds by being stun'd and bursted down in the 2 second window before brine king pantheon kicks in.

The perma IC is alright but there are many times when I have to rapidly hit my life pots on simple trash mobs b/c ill kill a pack and they do that nonsense where they all blow up and it just wrecks me and I have pretty high end gear b/c im playing on standard, not like im on a budget league starter.

I like the bodyswap for clearing but it can be problematic, several times its pulled me into the center of countless elemental explosion rings leaving me just enough time to flame dash out before they go off.

Idk, im coming off of ricokgbs full lfe mjolner where i had 85% to all elemental resistances, perma fortify and insane regen/life gain on hit, I would go 3+ weeks between deaths and never had to click on a pot on a regular map.
Last edited by JCOH35 on Mar 30, 2018, 3:54:31 AM
"
SRSFireIce wrote:
"
yazisiz wrote:
"
SRSFireIce wrote:
Just wondering, why not use Spell Cascade ?

Volatile Dead + Concentrated + Spell Cascade
Unearth + GMP + Spell Cascade

Spell Cascade gives 50% less but give 2 stack thats 100% more so total is 50% more

Congratulations. You missed the whole point of the build.

No I'm not, of course for prem IC could use :

Volatile Dead + Concentrated + Spell Cascade
Desecrate + Spell Cascade+ Immortal call

well ?

While that was a terrible way to put it and not very helpful, he is right. Spell Cascade does not work with this build.

You cannot generate the corpses needed for spell cascade, so it just ends up gimping the damage.

For the first post, Spell Cascade doesn't work on unearth. Even with GMP + LMP Unearth would only give a total of 8 corpses. At 8 meaning you're using all the links on unearth and not having immortal call, you will get the exact same amount of damage as 4 regular explosions.
Or if you still want immortal call, you'd use a damage support for Spell Cascade and end up doing less damage.

For your second setup it would go like this. Desecrate has 3 charges and a 3 second cooldown.

So assuming the standard 4 casts per second it would go like this:
Cast with lots of explosions

Welcome to having Dececrate on cooldown please wait 2.25 seconds for the next time you're doing damage.

That would be 9 casts not doing damage.

That 50% more for the first 3 turns it into the equivalent of 4.5 regular casts versus 12 in each 3 second timeslice.
"
JCOH35 wrote:
Idk at this point, the builds decently tanky but it can absolutely die, I wanted to wait till I was close to 90 and doing high tier maps in good gear with the majority of my life and defenses in place.

Ive had 3 deaths that were completely unavoidable, just instantly wrecked in seconds by being stun'd and bursted down in the 2 second window before brine king pantheon kicks in.

The perma IC is alright but there are many times when I have to rapidly hit my life pots on simple trash mobs b/c ill kill a pack and they do that nonsense where they all blow up and it just wrecks me and I have pretty high end gear b/c im playing on standard, not like im on a budget league starter.

I like the bodyswap for clearing but it can be problematic, several times its pulled me into the center of countless elemental explosion rings leaving me just enough time to flame dash out before they go off.

Idk, im coming off of ricokgbs full lfe mjolner where i had 85% to all elemental resistances, perma fortify and insane regen/life gain on hit, I would go 3+ weeks between deaths and never had to click on a pot on a regular map.

Hmm, honestly I'm not sure what to tell you. I never hit flasks and my health never moves, even in 15-16 maps. It may be a playstyle issue. You need to be aware of your movement and what packs to just bodyswap into and which to swap over and let the VD balls catch up. I do hit my utility flasks all the time, but that's mostly a habit from other builds. Unlike discharge mjolner builds where you jump into packs, I usually just teleport over them and pick up loot after. If you're having real issues go ahead and record some gameplay. I personally just afk across maps (no ele reflect).
Ya maybe, I believe you b/c the only reason i tried the build to begin with was I saw you and your friend were in the high 90s on HC so it obviously worked.

Ill take it to 95 or so and see, if I have to hover over trash mobs though and read their modifiers its going to be a no-go, when I have to fully clear 4 maps for 1% of my level I dont have the time or attention span for all that.
"
Madzak wrote:
I looked at your various alternative setups, but I still don't know which one to pick. I'm in beastiary softcore and my budget is sort of limitless (I have 200ex+ in currency) and have items like HH, 6L Lorewave etc. already. Anyone know which setup would the best possible for this build?

Basically I would love a perfected PoB setup that balances defense and dps. Bare in mind that I am in softcore so one death would not be fatal, but if I want to lvl to high 90s I don't want to die much at all, so I still want it to be extremely safe. I would love if I could farm uber elder on this even if I suck at gaming.

Looking forward to any replies.

Check the second post in the threads profile, that's his friend who has a more fleshed out version of the build.

I haven't plugged it into PoB yet, but i'd wager Abyss jewel gear + HH. Life + Mana on all your jewels where you can, You need to pick up some attack speed jewels until you're hitting 4aps, Res jewels to cover what you're missing, a Watcher's Eye with 3 Anger mods (Leech + Pen + Fire Damage), then just fill in the last slots increased fire damage jewels for all your leftover slots.

Volatile Dead enchant (+1 corpses) is a must on your helmet.

The ring setup is pretty much set in stone as Anger gives you a ton of damage with the watcher's eye jewel, and the Perma IC setup is build around Romira's.

Amulet wise Xophs is probably the best but I've yet to see how it looks against a decent Elder one sp that may be an option. (Fire damage leech + Recover % of Mana on spell use sounds pretty good for a MoM Fire build).

If you're running all 3 abyss gear with +2 sockets your links are going to be a bit of a pain.

You still want two sets of Poet's Pens for single target/mapping.

Single Target = VD - Conc - Fire Pen / Unearth - GMP - IC
Mapping = VD - IC - (Conc* / Ele Focus*) / Unearth - GMP - Bodyswap
Frenzy - Faster Attacks - Culling strike - Curse on Hit - Flammability/Enfeeble
Flame Dash - Faster Casting
Anger in Essence Worm
Lightpoacher setup (I like Pierce + Faster Projectiles).

Those are really all you need, you've got an extra slot left in your chest so you can either smack Blind onto Frenzy (not really needed IMO), and you can add a Decoy Totem for protecting Shaper in the Elder fight, or a CWDT + Golem setup. the utility part is up to you.

That's what i'd do if i was going for end-game stuff.

* For the Mapping Pen, Conc Effect gives you slightly more damage when mapping, Ele focus gives you slightly more AoE, Personally i really don't see much difference between the two when mapping as they're practically the same.

Last edited by Deadscale on Mar 30, 2018, 5:22:54 AM
"
Rinani wrote:

While that was a terrible way to put it and not very helpful, he is right. Spell Cascade does not work with this build.

You cannot generate the corpses needed for spell cascade, so it just ends up gimping the damage.

For the first post, Spell Cascade doesn't work on unearth. Even with GMP + LMP Unearth would only give a total of 8 corpses. At 8 meaning you're using all the links on unearth and not having immortal call, you will get the exact same amount of damage as 4 regular explosions.
Or if you still want immortal call, you'd use a damage support for Spell Cascade and end up doing less damage.

For your second setup it would go like this. Desecrate has 3 charges and a 3 second cooldown.

So assuming the standard 4 casts per second it would go like this:

Welcome to having Dececrate on cooldown please wait 2.25 seconds for the next time you're doing damage.

That would be 9 casts not doing damage.

That 50% more for the first 3 turns it into the equivalent of 4.5 regular casts versus 12 in each 3 second timeslice.

Thanks for the explanation, i wonder why when i use Unearth+GMP it faster clearing things that Desecrated+Spell Casacade, because desecrate has cooldown i did not notice that :)

"
Deadscale wrote:
"
Madzak wrote:
I looked at your various alternative setups, but I still don't know which one to pick. I'm in beastiary softcore and my budget is sort of limitless (I have 200ex+ in currency) and have items like HH, 6L Lorewave etc. already. Anyone know which setup would the best possible for this build?

Basically I would love a perfected PoB setup that balances defense and dps. Bare in mind that I am in softcore so one death would not be fatal, but if I want to lvl to high 90s I don't want to die much at all, so I still want it to be extremely safe. I would love if I could farm uber elder on this even if I suck at gaming.

Looking forward to any replies.

Check the second post in the threads profile, that's his friend who has a more fleshed out version of the build.

I haven't plugged it into PoB yet, but i'd wager Abyss jewel gear + HH. Life + Mana on all your jewels where you can, You need to pick up some attack speed jewels until you're hitting 4aps, Res jewels to cover what you're missing, a Watcher's Eye with 3 Anger mods (Leech + Pen + Fire Damage), then just fill in the last slots increased fire damage jewels for all your leftover slots.

Volatile Dead enchant (+1 corpses) is a must on your helmet.

The ring setup is pretty much set in stone as Anger gives you a ton of damage with the watcher's eye jewel, and the Perma IC setup is build around Romira's.

Amulet wise Xophs is probably the best but I've yet to see how it looks against a decent Elder one sp that may be an option. (Fire damage leech + Recover % of Mana on spell use sounds pretty good for a MoM Fire build).

If you're running all 3 abyss gear with +2 sockets your links are going to be a bit of a pain.

You still want two sets of Poet's Pens for single target/mapping.

Single Target = VD - Conc - Fire Pen / Unearth - GMP - IC
Mapping = VD - IC - (Conc* / Ele Focus*) / Unearth - GMP - Bodyswap
Frenzy - Faster Attacks - Culling strike - Curse on Hit - Flammability/Enfeeble
Flame Dash - Faster Casting
Anger in Essence Worm
Lightpoacher setup (I like Pierce + Faster Projectiles).

Those are really all you need, you've got an extra slot left in your chest so you can either smack Blind onto Frenzy (not really needed IMO), and you can add a Decoy Totem for protecting Shaper in the Elder fight, or a CWDT + Golem setup. the utility part is up to you.

That's what i'd do if i was going for end-game stuff.

* For the Mapping Pen, Conc Effect gives you slightly more damage when mapping, Ele focus gives you slightly more AoE, Personally i really don't see much difference between the two when mapping as they're practically the same.

I am very sure, this build will be nerf in the next patch. Dealing with the trash mob is never an issue with dual poet pen. But tanking the shaper slam/beam with so low budget is something is not right here. I am pretty sure either Romira or Conviction of power will be change.

"
SRSFireIce wrote:

I am very sure, this build will be nerf in the next patch. Dealing with the trash mob is never an issue with dual poet pen. But tanking the shaper slam/beam with so low budget is something is not right here. I am pretty sure either Romira or Conviction of power will be change.

Honestly, I hope this does get nerfed. I have a list of other builds to play, but nothing else feels strong after playing with perm IC, built in movement, and reasonable damage. I would like a reason to start with a starter build and work towards something (like old Mjolner builds) rather than just farm 25c day 1, buy 2 pens, and kill yellow elder day 2 and red elder day 3.
Pretty solid build for heirophant poets pen, made quite a few changes from the original guide to give it a lot more damage as I play softcore. Switched around 20 or so skill points in the tree, got rid of mom as I didn't like having 2 dead ring slots. This meant I could run both wrath and HoA as well as free up a ring slot

Currently don't use IC in either pen while mapping just run the standard cast when damage taken setup IC. This is because it is very hard to die during mapping, for bosses I usually take out body swap and put in a lvl 21 IC into my gear. I do this because most bosses you want to push DMG and bidyswap loses you a lot, I selfcast IC for incoming DMG.

Only thing I would say for this build would be I'd your aim is uber elder then u 100% need watchers eye with fire leech to give u that 2% overall DMG leech. This aswell as your 8k HP and phys immunity gives you enough surviabilty for the fight. The only issues is your limited movement abilities because bodyswap hinders to much of your DMG.
"
SRSFireIce wrote:

It'll probably get nerf'd via the skill changes, outside of that I don't see much happening too it. It's good on a budget but it's not the best, RF jugg is still insane on a budget, Reave/BF, Heiro Totems, Necro Spectre/Skelly.

I'd argue this build is behind all those in terms of budget to power.

"
Salzypen wrote:

Pretty solid build for heirophant poets pen, made quite a few changes from the original guide to give it a lot more damage as I play softcore. Switched around 20 or so skill points in the tree, got rid of mom as I didn't like having 2 dead ring slots. This meant I could run both wrath and HoA as well as free up a ring slot

Currently don't use IC in either pen while mapping just run the standard cast when damage taken setup IC. This is because it is very hard to die during mapping, for bosses I usually take out body swap and put in a lvl 21 IC into my gear. I do this because most bosses you want to push DMG and bidyswap loses you a lot, I selfcast IC for incoming DMG.

Only thing I would say for this build would be I'd your aim is uber elder then u 100% need watchers eye with fire leech to give u that 2% overall DMG leech. This aswell as your 8k HP and phys immunity gives you enough surviabilty for the fight. The only issues is your limited movement abilities because bodyswap hinders to much of your DMG.

If you're dropping MoM + the Rings and casting IC yourself, you're probably better off going Juggernaut over Heiro (or maybe Inquis), kinda similar to what Ziz was doing with an Indigon.

Also I assume you mean Anger + HoA, Wrath is Lightning.
Last edited by Deadscale on Mar 30, 2018, 9:53:43 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info