[3.2 BSC] Cold-to-Fire Ice Trapper [from Budget (~10c) to expensive gears]

Introduction

Ice trap has been in very bad shape since it got nerfed (~2years ago?).
With the newly buffed (3.2) saboteur and 2 new fated unique items (very cheap!!), I came up with a build that makes the skill viable again.

Pro
 Start with budget items (w/ few chaos) & can upgrade to high-end gears
 Can run any map mods & Easy-mapping
 Pressing only 2 buttons (not including flasks) for the entire game.
 Great balance in offence and defense.

Con
 It’s a TRAP – No leech & certain playstyle required

Gameplay Videos

Skill Tree & PoB. & Bandits
 Skill Tree: https://tinyurl.com/ybyzj5u3
 PoB: https://pastebin.com/2busexb4
 Bandit: Alira

Gears
Spoiler

Required Gears
Spoiler

0. Required Unique (Equivalent to Budget items)
Spoiler

a. Frostferno Leather Hood (Fated version of HeatShiver. 1 Chaos in BSC @03.11.2018).

This is where the idea of Cold-to-Fire Ice Trapper came from. With Lv.30 Cold to Fire in Helmet and with Pyre (40% of Cold damage converted to Fire damage) our skills becomes almost pure Fire damage.

b. Mirebough Gnarled Branch (Fated version of Fencoil. 2 Chaos in BSC @03.11.2018).

This is a great leveling-up to mid/end game unique that provides easy 6 link trap skill.
With upto 20% increased maximum life and mana, the character becomes really tanky.

c. Pyre Sappahire Ring (Cheap 2 Choas in BSC @03.11.2018)

This is for Cold-to-Fire damage conversion - what can I say more.

1. Upgrading Items for end-game

Better staves for the build
Spoiler

a. Realm Ender (also fated unique that costs ~1c).
** Do not use this unless you have 6L on this item. It becomes beneficial only if you have 6L. When equipped with this item, run Flammability or enfeeble.

b. Duskdawn Maelstorm staff

This is a great staff for our build since the option “Gain X % of Elemental Damage as Extra Chaos Damage” benefits the 5L ice-trap equipped in the helmet.
You can get better damage by using this staff (even 5L is better for damage output in overall). But Keep in mind that Mirebough has ~20% increased maximum life and mana.
Additionally, the last 2 options of the staff can be easily activated by 2 link of [[ Lv1. CWDT – Lv.6 Blade Vortex ]].

My Current Gears
Spoiler

Gem Links
Spoiler

 Ice Trap (in Helmet): IceTrap - Trap and Mine Damage Support - Cluster Traps Support - Added Cold Damage support (w/ Duskdawn) or Fire Penetration (w/ Mirebough)
 Ice Nova (Staff): Ice nova - Trap Support - Trap and Mine Damage Support - Cluster Traps Support - Cold to Fire support - Elemental Focus support (w/ Duskdawn) or Fire Penetration (w/ Mirebough)
 Aura: Clarity (Lv 12). Blasphemy - Enfeeble/Flammability. Herald of Ash
 CWDT - Blade Vortex (This is for duskdawn only)

Have Fun & Feedback/Questions are always welcome!
Last edited by krinsk2011 on Mar 12, 2018, 12:35:24 AM
Last bumped on Jun 11, 2018, 4:03:25 PM
Finally an ice trap build, thank you !

Few questions for you :

Does blade vortex really trigger the last two effects of duskdawn ? (i can see nearly 50% crit chance on poe build) and is why you don't use a diamond flask ?

Why ice nova ? (only viable choice for the second trap ?)

What would you get first : Kaom's or 6-L duskdawn ?

How would still improve the build ? (maybe some expensive other uniques)

I understand the grand spectrum jewels, do you think one hair trigger would do the job too ?

That was a lot of questions finally...

Forgive my english.

Nice job with the build.
"
Gloubiscrapul wrote:
Finally an ice trap build, thank you !

Few questions for you :

Does blade vortex really trigger the last two effects of duskdawn ? (i can see nearly 50% crit chance on poe build) and is why you don't use a diamond flask ?

Why ice nova ? (only viable choice for the second trap ?)

What would you get first : Kaom's or 6-L duskdawn ?

How would still improve the build ? (maybe some expensive other uniques)

I understand the grand spectrum jewels, do you think one hair trigger would do the job too ?

That was a lot of questions finally...

Forgive my english.

Nice job with the build.

1) Blade vortex do trigger both effects - I kinda watched my damage outputs varying across time due to these effects. Duskdawn's +120% Spell damage is when you hit with non-crit, so If you use diamond flask to make all hits as critical strike, you loose this function. You can still do more damage by crit always, but then gotta drop a life flask for a diamond flask.

2) I chose Ice nova to keep my cold-to-fire theme :). It gets benefits of pyre/duskdawn & also has good AOE coverage. You can play with other spells, but I liked Ice nova best.

3) I would recommend to get kaom/any other good body armor since surviving is a priority.
The difference in damage by changing staff is significant, but mirebough does it's job quite well. so get armor first.

4) I'm sure there would be a way to improve this build, but since my personality doesn't stick with one build more than couple of days, I can't tell you whether there would be a dramatic change in later or not.

5) Grand spectrum is good since it's cheap and get lots of elemental damage - but it's not required. If it were required, I would mentioned in my post. Hair trigger will do its job - since traps are somewhat unstable for hitting a standing single target as you might notice through my video.

Have fun, and questions are always welcome.
i really love traps, our build seems promissing. how currently are end game with that build?
"
Sismico wrote:
i really love traps, our build seems promissing. how currently are end game with that build?

Well, I gotta admit that I'm a very clumsy player.
Killed Kitava in Lava Lake, and Red tier elder - but with several deaths during the fight (@Lv 88).
I don't see I will be able to kill Guardians and shaper smoothly at this point.
Maybe be I would If I leveling up more and have better gears with cooldowns (ex: shaper belt/boots).
Last edited by krinsk2011 on Mar 13, 2018, 11:43:12 AM
do you have any videos for showoff? preferably some medium-high tier maps (T11-13) including bosses? I have difficulties translating the damage that PoB gives into how good the build really is, considering it's traps and all... :D

much appreciated.
"
DeadManWalkin wrote:
do you have any videos for showoff? preferably some medium-high tier maps (T11-13) including bosses? I have difficulties translating the damage that PoB gives into how good the build really is, considering it's traps and all... :D

much appreciated.

Hi there,

I think you missed out the section called "Gameplay Videos" though it contains only 1 video.
I might record few more videos later, but I'm currently making different build (It's elementalist lol), so won't upload another soon.
"
krinsk2011 wrote:
"
DeadManWalkin wrote:

much appreciated.

Hi there,

I think you missed out the section called "Gameplay Videos" though it contains only 1 video.
I might record few more videos later, but I'm currently making different build (It's elementalist lol), so won't upload another soon.

apparently I did miss it, sorry. :D
hi, planning to just use Frostferno and Mirebough for this build. How far do u know this will carry me to?? t10 - t12 would be fine by then
"
invoker232 wrote:
hi, planning to just use Frostferno and Mirebough for this build. How far do u know this will carry me to?? t10 - t12 would be fine by then

yeap. You would have no problem. just gotta move little more for throwing one more additional trap compare to my gear. Things are not really much matter until you start facing bosses with larger HP.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info