ShaderCache Fix/Temp Fix (simple)

I can't comment on performance, but if you want to use ramdisk,
use SoftPerfect ram disk - it is completely free and has way more features compared to free versions of other commercial software, such as AMD Radeon's.

For instance, you can create appropriate partitions automatically formatted in NTFS, so you don't have to open Windows partition manager yourself and initialise disks there.
Increasing Field of View in PoE: /1236921

On this website (for the above mentioned softperfect ram disk)

http://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

it says

"
SoftPerfect RAM Disk is a free high-performance RAM disk application that lets you have a disk on your computer entirely stored in its memory. As the memory is much faster than physical hard disks, it makes sense to store temporary data on a fast in-memory disk to achieve a higher performance. Whatever your job is, read on to find out what a RAM disk can offer you.

Does this mean if i have enough ram, i could partition the amount needed and put the entire PoE game into it???

I've never partitioned my ram before so this is all new to me.

My shadercache folder is 6.1 GB.... I'm going to assume this wouldn't work with a 250 mb partition?

Is a 6.1 GB shadercache normal...?
"
Zerovirus27 wrote:
My shadercache folder is 6.1 GB.... I'm going to assume this wouldn't work with a 250 mb partition?

Mine is ~7 MB so I'm going to say no.
Size of Shadercache depends on how old your installation is basically.
Mine is 240 MB for example. After a fresh install, there is no Shadercache at all.

btw: Performance gain was small, but noticable. Fps spikes down to 3-5fps rather than 0
IGN: Darkrox (not my main, just for easy contact)
~ Yes i'm the Darkrox from Runes of Magic - World's #1 Guild Pravum 2009 - 2011 ~
Last edited by Darkrox on May 11, 2013, 5:08:17 AM
"
Size of Shadercache depends on how old your installation is basically.
Mine is 240 MB for example. After a fresh install, there is no Shadercache at all.

btw: Performance gain was small, but noticable. Fps spikes down to 3-5fps rather than 0
yeah this is what i assumed. I guess my shadercache had nearly every file cached...

Well, considering it can get up to 6GB+ over a long period, would make a 250mb ram partition even do anything over the long run? I mean, what happens what you hit 250mb? will the game stop caching?
I think so, that's why i made it 300MB, just in case.

I wonder why that stuff isn't stored in the gpu memory at startup? I don't get it...modern gpu's have 2GB and more Ram which in most cases isn't used half.
IGN: Darkrox (not my main, just for easy contact)
~ Yes i'm the Darkrox from Runes of Magic - World's #1 Guild Pravum 2009 - 2011 ~
Last edited by Darkrox on May 11, 2013, 10:13:49 AM
"

I wonder why that stuff isn't stored in the gpu memory at startup? I don't get it...modern gpu's have 2GB and more Ram which in most cases isn't used half.

GPU ram is used only for video frames, for ex: 1900x1080 takes 4 times the
ram of 1024x768 pretty much, and higher res requires more ram than this.
Many video cards can handle like 1600x1200 due to ram ammounts.

Also when you do double buffering and such it requires at least a second
entire frame in memory, for ex, 2x frames of 1900x1080.

all the while each frame is either 24bit or 32 bit.

Further there are overlays possible that extend the number of frames
the vid card might be working on even more.

"
Does this mean if i have enough ram, i could partition the amount needed and put the entire PoE game into it???

It it entirely possible to put whole PoE folder into a ramdisk, since all your information is stored on a server anyway.

Since game weighs quite a lot, you need to have at least 8 GB RAM for that, preferably 10+, so that you would have at least 3+ GB left for other tasks - browser, core system, etc.

RAMDisk read/write speed is approximately 10-25 times faster than SSD drive, and 25-100 times faster than conventional harddrive.
You can use CrystalDisk soft, also totally free and proven, to measure the read/write speed.
However it doesn't seem to work

I've tested performance with ShaderCache on ramdisk, and compared to regular harddrive, the difference was immediately noticeable, it eliminated most of the lag I had with some skills, made the lag with others such as LA much less severe.
Last edited by Shajirr on May 11, 2013, 2:38:34 PM
"
Zerovirus27 wrote:

You probably measured the size of entire PoE folder by mistake.
SharedCache folder should be around 300mb at max, if you had the game for at least 3 months and never reinstalled it, otherwise it would be smaller.

Also, you probably should link your ramdisk with an image file, which is basically a backup of all your ramdisk data which is stored on your regular harddrive/SSD.
In case of power failure / complete shutdown / etc. you won't loose data that way, since it will be restored from the backup image.

In SoftPerfect program to do so you first select "Create Image", choose size, location, label, NTFS filesystem.

After that select "Mount Image" and select the file you just created.

Then, select your ramdisk, right click, open properties, click "Advanced", and there select
"Save contents to associated image, every:" and set the number of minutes (30 / 60 / whatever you want).
Last edited by Shajirr on May 11, 2013, 2:37:22 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info