Why are fortify nodes and the fortify gem so punishing/bad?

I think the Fortify wheel in the tree is pretty much designed for the Champion Ascendancy (sans the duration) but I do think the payout is pretty abysmal for the effort needed to get there in the first place ...
Hi.

IGN: Lady_Serena
The fortify passives are pretty weak.

As for the gem. I'd buff it by making it mutually exclusive with melee physical damage and giving it a smaller More modifier. So its a trade off for the defense.
0-19% (as pierce) more melee damage would be nice
"
aleksandor wrote:
As the topic says, why is the fortify support gem and the Fortify Wheel of nodes so bad for melee, the INTENDED users of fortify?

Why is fortify set up seemingly to be in favor of RANGED using it and not be more rewarding for melee users?

You seem to be discounting the value of fortify itself entirely in this rant. Have you considered that perhaps it doesn't bring huge DPS boosts because GGG want there to be a trade-off between "has fortify damage reduction" and "has extra DPS"?

Even the ascendency that just plain gives you full time fortify is a trade-off. You could have run an ascendency with bigger DPS bonuses instead, but you chose the defensive one. Again, trade-offs.
Yeah, because melee is so powerful, since release of the game, that it desperately needed a tradeoff between dmg and survivability.

-.-
"
SlippyCheeze wrote:
"
aleksandor wrote:
As the topic says, why is the fortify support gem and the Fortify Wheel of nodes so bad for melee, the INTENDED users of fortify?

Why is fortify set up seemingly to be in favor of RANGED using it and not be more rewarding for melee users?

You seem to be discounting the value of fortify itself entirely in this rant. Have you considered that perhaps it doesn't bring huge DPS boosts because GGG want there to be a trade-off between "has fortify damage reduction" and "has extra DPS"?

Even the ascendency that just plain gives you full time fortify is a trade-off. You could have run an ascendency with bigger DPS bonuses instead, but you chose the defensive one. Again, trade-offs.

Then enlighten us where are the trade offs for cast/ranged playstyles versus namelocking melee???

Even those cool GMP/LMP got added to so many items without the intrinsic less "multiplier" that it's asinine to even think about "trade offs".

I enjoy playing the hard mode in PoE just as much as any dual wielding RT single target namelocking melee character, but GGG needs to wake up and actually balance the goddamn playstyles...

Fortify needs to be specific for hitting an enemy in a <16 area around your character with MELEE DAMAGE, and become a 1 second buff, and also intrinsic to all single target namelocking melee skills. Everything else needs to have it at MOST at 25% effect. If they want "moar" Fortify, they should work for it and grab every single increased Fortify effect in the skilltree.
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
Last edited by sofocle10000 on Feb 22, 2018, 2:02:10 PM
"
SlippyCheeze wrote:
"
aleksandor wrote:

This guy is so oblivious holy shit.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
RogueMage wrote:
"
Dharall wrote:
And drop the duration to 1s...

And it wouldn't affect melee at all, well.. as long as you have it linked with you attack skill.

Assuming all you do is SPAM THE SAME GODDAM ATTACK OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

As if melee in POE wasn't already straitjacketed enough...

I thought thats how people played this game lol
I dont see any any key!
I can't help but wonder if it's because Vigilant strike already hits ridiculously hard.
Now presenting! Venom ink; malice in the pen, poison on the paper, anger in the mind.

Brought to you by Dat LLC, in partnership with Harassment Industries.

*Disclaimer* No actual products are being sold, shipped or presented. *End of disclaimer*
I have tried making anything out of it for like 3 leagues already.
Lets face it, Vigilant strike is absolutely useless as a main skill and terrible as a side thing to use every now an then.
Glacial hammer is 3 times better.

Just delete it.
Last edited by Satan_Assembler on Feb 22, 2018, 2:25:53 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info