[3.1] Freezing Pulse - Elementalist - Pen Stack - Guardian/Shaper/Uber Atziri Viable

Disclaimer
The gems and gear included in this guide are about as close to fully optimizing as I can imagine. This includes full 21/20 gems in the 6L chest setup, high rolled weapons, and expensive abyss jewels.
With this said, reaching the DPS shown in the PoB configuration, as well as Tooltip DPS, is quite the currency investment.

There are less costly options that I will provide in the Gear section. With these options, success can still be achieved in the current patch.

Intro
Spoiler
Before 3.1 started, I became interested in a freezing pulse guide made by OhhPaigey for 3.0. After much time spent considering changes and min/maxing in 3.1, I eventually came to the build detailed in this guide. This build evolves around perma freezing 99% of content in the game, as well as stacking cold penetration. With my current set up, I've been able to clear all guardians, Shaper, and Uber Atziri.

Note: Although I chose elementalist for this build, it can work for many others. I often get the question "why not inquisitor?" As silly as it may sound, the elementalist is my favorite ascendancy, so I like to make a build work with it if possible.

Videos
Spoiler
T15 Carcass Boss
https://streamable.com/fqcml

T16 Phoenix Fight
https://streamable.com/yklnj

T15 Reef (Corrupted)
I feel like this is a great clip showcasing the strengths of this build. The map rolled +mob life and +mob ele resist, and the Zana map rolled ele equilibrium as well. With these included, the build still melts through everything in its way.
https://streamable.com/0rnkv

Path of Building Link
Spoiler

Note: The current configuration that will load is fully buffed damage against normal mobs. There will be situations in which your DPS will undoubtedly be lower. Vaal haste will obviously not always be up, as well as your flasks running out, and not having full frenzy charges on bosses without adds. Regular bosses, guardians, Shaper, and Uber Atziri will also all have higher resistances, resulting in lower damage.

https://pastebin.com/9yDrJV7t

ToolTip DPS
Spoiler
Note: The DPS shown in the picture below is fully buffed (6 power charges, 4 frenzy charges, arcane surge, flasks, and vaal haste). This value does not include penetration, which only increases damage output.

Penetration Stacking
Spoiler

The following enemy resistance modifiers are used with this build:

Supported skills penetrate 38% cold resistance (Cold Penetration Support)

Damage penetrates 20% cold resistance against chilled enemies (The Pandemonius)

Damage Penetrates 25% Cold Resistance if you've used a Fire Skill in the past 10 seconds (Mastermind of Discord)

During Flask Effect, Damage Penetrates 15% Resistance of each Element for which your Uncapped Elemental Resistance is highest (The Wise Oak)

-20% to Cold Resistance (Frost Bomb)

Leveling
Spoiler

For leveling, I don't recommend using Freezing Pulse. Without the necessary First Snow jewels, as well as a 5 or 6 linked chest and a decent amount of crit invested, the skill can feel pretty underwhelming.

Instead, Firestorm and Flame Totem are great leveling skills that will shred through content until you are able to move on to a Freezing Pulse setup.

I would advise switching to a Freezing Pulse setup around Acts 8-10, depending on the current gear you have access to.

Good leveling gear includes Tabula Rosa (chest), dual Lifesprig wands, Goldrim (helmet), and Atziri's Foible (amulet).

Leveling Trees
Spoiler

10 Points
https://poeplanner.com/AAsAABsACwMAAArfsIIQj6ZEq1WuLJwRLbzqakN8gwAAAAAA

20 Points
https://poeplanner.com/AAsAAC8ACwMAABTfsIIQj6ZEq1WuLJwRLbzqakN8g-vumuBFnVNSMtFFR8BmBLOiAOFzAAAAAAA=

30 Points
https://poeplanner.com/AAsAAEMACwMAAB7fsIIQj6ZEq1WuLJwRLbzqakN8g-vumuBFnVNSMtFFR8BmBLOiAOFz7SC2hpZ0gpuFMpctSU-8quw4OtgAAAAAAA==

40 Points
https://poeplanner.com/AAsAAFsACyMAACrfsIIQj6ZEq1WuLJwRLbzqakN8g-vumuBFnVNSMtFFR8BmBLOiAOFz7SC2hpZ0gpuFMpctSU-8quw4OtgnL5BVGjgpT1eU1aYFQq6zQZbQ9dQH3I0AAAAAAA==

50 Points
https://poeplanner.com/AAsAAG8ACyMAADTfsIIQj6ZEq1WuLJwRLbzqakN8g-vumuBFnVNSMtFFR8BmBLOiAOFz7SC2hpZ0gpuFMpctSU-8quw4OtgnL5BVGjgpT1eU1aYFQq6zQZbQ9UyzBAeD21XG6-RfKhzcjxqFe2ZU1AfcjQAAAAAA

60 Points
https://poeplanner.com/AAsAAIcACyMAAEDfsIIQj6ZEq1WuLJwRLbzqakN8g-vumuBFnVNSMtFFR8BmBLOiAOFz7SC2hpZ0gpuFMpctSU-8quw4OtgnL5BVGjgpT1eU1aYFQq6zQZbQ9UyzBAeD21XG6-RfKhzcjxqFe2ZUa7eFfSBuUDAtH5UgwfOio3_GflnUB9yNkPrfbQAAAAAA

70 Points
https://poeplanner.com/AAsAAJ8ACyMAAEzfsIIQj6ZEq1WuLJwRLbzqakN8g-vumuBFnVNSMtFFR8BmBLOiAOFz7SC2hpZ0gpuFMpctSU-8quw4OtgnL5BVGjgpT1eU1aYFQq6zQZbQ9UyzBAeD21XG6-RfKhzcjxqFe2ZUa7eFfSBuUDAtH5UgwfOio3_GflkRlgcelS7w1UlRj_rr9cMJuZPyHdQH3I2Q-t9tTIvvSwAAAAAA

80 Points
https://poeplanner.com/AAsAALcACyMAAFjfsIIQj6ZEq1WuLJwRLbzqakN8g-vumuBFnVNSMtFFR8BmBLOiAOFz7SC2hpZ0gpuFMpctSU-8quw4OtgnL5BVGjgpT1eU1aYFQq6zQZbQ9UyzBAeD21XG6-RfKhzcjxqFe2ZUa7eFfSBuUDAtH5UgwfOio3_GflkRlgcelS7w1UlRj_rr9cMJuZPyHQ5I44QbyDY9napsjGKsKwoRL13y1AfcjZD6321Mi-9LF6QTNQAAAAAA

90 Points
https://poeplanner.com/AAsAAMsACyMAAGLfsIIQj6ZEq1WuLJwRLbzqakN8g-vumuBFnVNSMtFFR8BmBLOiAOFz7SC2hpZ0gpuFMpctSU-8quw4OtgnL5BVGjgpT1eU1aYFQq6zQZbQ9UyzBAeD21XG6-RfKhzcjxqFe2ZUa7eFfSBuUDAtH5UgwfOio3_GflkRlgcelS7w1UlRj_rr9cMJuZPyHQ5I44QbyDY9napsjGKsKwoRL13yKgtwUonTjDZVS2HiDdFjQyaV217UB9yNkPrfbUyL70sXpBM1AAAAAAA=

100 Points
https://poeplanner.com/AAsAAN8ACyMAAGzfsIIQj6ZEq1WuLJwRLbzqakN8g-vumuBFnVNSMtFFR8BmBLOiAOFz7SC2hpZ0gpuFMpctSU-8quw4OtgnL5BVGjgpT1eU1aYFQq6zQZbQ9UyzBAeD21XG6-RfKhzcjxqFe2ZUa7eFfSBuUDAtH5UgwfOio3_GflkRlgcelS7w1UlRj_rr9cMJuZPyHQ5I44QbyDY9napsjGKsKwoRL13yKgtwUonTjDZVS2HiDdFjQyaV214QWK-b0B_v6wdjy71RdI7ppplkndQH3I2Q-t9tTIvvSxekEzUAAAAAAA==

Level 90
https://poeplanner.com/AAsAAPkACyMAAHnfsIIQj6ZEq1WuLJwRLbzqakN8g-vumuBFnVNSMtFFR8BmBLOiAOFz7SC2hpZ0gpuFMpctSU-8quw4OtgnL5BVGjgpT1eU1aYFQq6zQZbQ9UyzBAeD21XG6-RfKhzcjxqFe2ZUa7eFfSBuUDAtH5UgwfOio3_GflkRlgcelS7w1UlRj_rr9cMJuZPyHQ5I44QbyDY9napsjGKsKwoRL13yKgtwUonTjDZVS2HiDdFjQxBYr5vQH-_rB2PLvVF0jummmWSdpwiPRh0UjmT3prb6VYWlywMeH0EmlQ_EO3y4ytte1AfcjZD6321Mi-9LF6QTNQAAAAAA

Level 100
https://poeplanner.com/AAsAAQ0ACyMAAIPfsIIQj6ZEq1WuLJwRLbzqakN8g-vumuBFnVNSMtFFR8BmBLOiAOFz7SC2hpZ0gpuFMpctSU-8quw4OtgnL5BVGjgpT1eU1aYFQq6zQZbQ9UyzBAeD21XG6-RfKhzcjxqFe2ZUa7eFfSBuUDAtH5UgwfOio3_GflkRlgcelS7w1UlRj_rr9cMJuZPyHQ5I44QbyDY9napsjGKsKwoRL13yKgtwUonTjDZVS2HiDdFjQxBYr5vQH-_rB2PLvVF0jummmWSdpwiPRh0UjmT3prb6VYWlywMeH0EmlQ_EO3y4yha_217P3fGKEQ9MLRdUjjxWSp6hIoHUB9yNkPrfbUyL70sXpBM1AAAAAAA=

Bandits
Spoiler

Kill all.

Gems
Spoiler

Chest
6L chest will be 4B 2G.

Note: If you do not have access to The Green Dream Viridian Jewel in your tree, replace Hypothermia Support with Ice Bite support in order to have a source of frenzy charge generation.

Gloves
For gloves you will want 4 sockets(3R 1G), with at least 3 linked(3R) (as long as ice golem is high enough it won't matter if it is linked or not).

This setup is a nice defensive bonus that provides physical damage immunity for a short period when triggered. Remember to keep CWDT and immortal call relatively low. As CWDT increases in level, so does the damage required to trigger the supported spell.

Boots
Boots will be 4 linked sockets (2B 1R 1G).

Warlord's Mark is a curse that provides leech that is hard to come by. Linking Blasphemy to this allows the curse to become an aura, negating the need to constantly worry about cursing enemies.

Hearld of Ice is a great source of damage that also adds to great clear with the exploding effect on killing a frozen enemy.

Enlighten lowers the cost of these auras, giving us more mana and effectively increasing our effective life due to using Mind Over Matter (30% of damage is taken from mana before life).

Helmet
Helmet will be 4 linked sockets (3B 1R).

Flame Dash is chosen for the mobility skill due to proccing Mastermind of Discord ascendancy node (Damage Penetrates 25% Cold Resistance if you've used a Fire Skill in the past 10 seconds). Faster Casting will allow us to dash around the map more quickly. Arcane Surge gives an increase to spell damage and cast speed when enough mana is spent. Increased Duration allows arcane surge to be active for a longer period of time.

Remember to keep Arcane Surge low enough that it will proc every time you flame dash (I keep mine at 9). As long as you flame dash at least once every 8 seconds, Mastermind of Discord and Arcane Surge will be permanently active.

Weapons
For your wands, you want one to be 3B at least two linked (but linking 3 doesn't matter) and one to be 1R 1G 1B linked.

Orb of Storms is our source of power charge generation. With the right nodes allocated, power charges will last 15 seconds, so orb of storms doesn't necessarily need to be dropped every wave once max power charges have been obtained.

Vaal Haste gives a huge cast speed and move speed buff. Frost bomb lowers cold resistance by 20%, and is typically saved for higher health targets in order to melt them down quicker. Increased Duration lengthens both the Vaal Haste duration, as well as the cold resistance debuff provided by Frost Bomb.

Secondary Weapons
For my offhand slots, in one hand I like to use portal linked with a faster casting support gem, although this is not necessary.

For the other hand, you'll want a 3G linked Jaws of Agony shield. Jaws of Agony has a nice passive that gives 25% chance to gain a power charge on throwing a trap. Fire Trap, Cluster Traps Support, and Multiples Trap Support are used. In the case that you get to a boss area without power charges or die and have to return to the map, power charges can still be obtained before entering the room. Simply swap to your secondary weapons, lay some traps down until 6 power charges are obtained, and weapon swap back.

Note: Don't forget to re-cast your lightning golem before going in.

Gear
Spoiler

Weapons
[Budget Option]For weapons, you want dual void batteries. These synergize well with the power charges you are obtaining, as well as giving a plethora of useful stats.

Optimally, dual rare wands provide the highest damage available, but can be tough to find with stacked rolls. Prioritize crit chance for spells, global crit strike multiplier, and cast speed. Bonuses include spell damage, cold/lightning damage to spells, and even maximum mana is nice to have.

Chest
A Tabula Rosa can get you started, but the loss of stats on a chest will start to hurt the further you progress. Prioritize maximum life and resistances. Maximum mana and maximum energy shield are nice bonuses on top of these.

[Budget Option]Shoot for a 5L 2G 3B with the same priority on stats as above. Compared to the 6L option, remove either Controlled Destruction or Increased Critical Strike, depending on your current crit value.

Gloves
Winds of Change work very nicely with this set up and are very cheap. Life is always nice to have, and projectile damage works great with freezing pulse. Due to freezing pulse's decay mechanic, projectile speed will result in more damage from further away, helping damage at range.

For lab enchant, "of frost" and "of winter" are optimal.

Boots
Inya's Epiphany are the go to choice for boots. Life, move speed, and increased damage per power charge are the three main benefits to these. However, if power charges happen to fall off, they are often brought back to maximum quickly, which is a helpful addition.

[Budget Option]Mutewind Whispersteps are a great budget choice for this build that include cold damage to spells and increased critical strike chance for spells.

For lab enchant, life/mana leech takes the cake, however, additional cast speed and chance to avoid stun are also decent replacements.

Helmet
Any rare helmet will work here. Prioritize life and resistances. Increases to energy shield and maximum mana are both nice bonuses.

For lab enchant, there are a few beneficial options. Obviously freezing pulse will be optimal, but this can be very difficult to obtain. Herald of Ice, warlord's mark, orb of storms increased crit strike chance, immortal call, increased buff effect of ice/lightning golem, and flame dash cooldown recovery could all be useful here. There's no real need to be too picky with these if farming yourself, as getting the right enchant can be a nightmare.

Belt
Darkness Enthroned Stygian Vise is insane. Not only do you get two sockets out of it, but the values from the abyssal jewels are increased by 50%.

The choices for your jewels can vary depending on what stats you need. Try to get life on at least one if possible. If you are missing resistances, get a value that you need which will put you to the cap of 75%. For damage rolls, global crit strike chance, global crit strike multiplier, and added cold or lightning damage to spells/while dual wielding are great damage boosts.

Rings
The optimal ring choice will be diamond. Prioritize life and resistances. Maximum mana, energy shield, increased cast speed, and increased cold damage are all nice bonuses.

[Budget Option] Two-Stone rings are a nice substitute with an easier path to capping resistances at the cost of the damage that diamond rings give with crit.

Amulet
In my opinion, The Pandemonius is the only choice here. Increased cold damage, cold penetration to chilled enemies, and blind to child enemies are all key to this build.

If you cannot afford the currency to purchase this amulet, I recommend saving up and buying it as soon as possible.

My Current Gear
Spoiler

Ascendancy Allocation
Spoiler

Ascendancy allocation includes Liege of the Primordial, Pendulum of Destruction, Mastermind of Discord, and either Paragon of Calamity or Shaper of Desolation.

Liege of the Primordial is a huge golem buff to the build and includes access to 2 golems, increased damage of each type of active golem, and increased buff effect from golems.

Pendulum of Destruction gives a massive buff to elemental damage every ten seconds for four seconds.

Mastermind of Discord stacks on more penetration. Damage penetrates 25% cold resistance if a fire skill has been used in the past 10 seconds. This is procced with flame dash.

Paragon of Calamity is a nice defensive choice for elemental reflect.

Shaper of Desolation is another offensive choice, adding more damage to the set up.

Jewels
Spoiler

Two First Snow jewels are mandatory for Freezing Pulse. They allow for you to not use GMP in your 6 link chest.

The Green Dream Viridan Jewel is also great to have in your setup. Slotted north of the witch's starting spot, and with Cruel Preparation and Frost Walker allocated, 20% chance to gain a frenzy charge on kill is obtained. The added chaos damage also synergizes nicely with an Atziri's Promise flask. If you cannot obtain one of these jewels, replace Hypothermia with Ice Bite.

Aside from these three jewels, a fourth socket can be allocated in the tree. Many options are viable here, depending on what stats are missing. If you feel comfortable with the current life and resistances you have, feel free to go all out for a massive damage boost jewel.

Flasks
Spoiler

There are a number of combinations that can work here. Having one flask with bleed removal (of staunching suffix) and one with freeze removal (of heat suffix or Kiara's Determination) are mandatory. Atziri's promise is great for leech, which is difficult to come by for a witch in the current patch.

Aside from these flasks, the others are up to you. I recommend a quicksilver for speed, The Wise Oak for damage and damage reduction, and either a diamond flask or Kiara's Determination. A diamond flask will result in more damage overall. Kiara's Determination will give onslaught, as well as provide freeze, curse, and stun removal. There are many other options that can work; it all depends on the current content you are running.

Note: If you want to use The Wise Oak, at minimum uncapped cold resistance needs to be highest. For maximum optimizing, all three uncapped resistances will need to be equivalent.

My default flask setup is shown below:

Conclusion
Spoiler

If you've made it this far, I appreciate you taking the time to look through this wall of text. Freezing pulse is the most fun I've had out of playing Path of Exile. I hope you give this build a chance and enjoy it as much as I do.

This is my first guide I've ever written, so please feel free to leave feedback or ask questions below.

Thanks for reading :D
Last edited by lwalker7 on Feb 28, 2018, 5:33:37 AM
Last bumped on Jul 28, 2018, 2:23:18 PM
This is my next build. Made a FP Elementalist in Legacy and loved it, so I'm gonna give your build a go. Looks pretty solid.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2919821 - Impale Barrage Champion Build
-----------------------------------------
www.twitch.tv/madebyskinny
www.youtube.com/madebyskinny
thanks for the detailed guide. definetely gonna be trying this build out as i really like caster playstyle. I was wondering if you could make a short leveling section with leveling trees as that'd help me out alot.
Of note right off the bat for a realistic look at the build - if you don't have two top-tier wand's like OP (they are worth upward's of 10 Exalt's each), then the recommended Void Battery wand's you would use instead will have you at around 30% less DPS fully buffed, and a DPS of just 180K un-buffed.

An effective HP of 5.5K - 7K on gear should be obtainable, including MOM.

Realistic costs based on available items (as at 23/01/2018) on poe.trade:
- 3-5 Ex for an equivalent 6-link chest
- 1c for the gloves
- 40c for the boots
- 20c for an equivalent helm (an extra 50c to 3Ex for one with the helm enchant)
- 30c for two half decently rolled Void Battery wand's
- 1c for the alternate slot wand/shield
- 1c for the Darkness Enthroned Stygian Vise belt
- 10c for the two Diamond Rings with Life/Mana/All-Res/Crit
- 100c for The Pandemonius amulet
- 10c for two of the First Snow jewels
- 40c for The Green Dream jewel
- 80c for two Abyss Jewels with + Cold damage to spells / life / more + cold damage (or while dual wielding)
- 10c for all the flasks combined

Levelling Gear Costs:
- 10c for a Tabula Rasa chest piece
- No clue on what the rest would cost, as OP hasn't included a levelling guide at this stage.

Total build costs not including two top-tier wands is about 8-10 Exalt's, no idea about the costs of levelling gear/items though, as they weren't advised in the build guide. OP's wand's he is using go for 10 Exalt's a piece (or substantially more) for even lesser quality equivalent's on poe.trade, currently - so that's something to think about.
dont try to act pro here we all know how to count, this is obviously end game build 10ex is nothing if you wanna go end game,
you trying to act pro with your stats here why not create a 10c fp endgame build and show us?
"
Adambjjoz wrote:
Of note right off the bat for a realistic look at the build - if you don't have two top-tier wand's like OP (they are worth upward's of 10 Exalt's each), then the recommended Void Battery wand's you would use instead will have you at around 30% less DPS fully buffed, and a DPS of just 180K un-buffed.

- 1c for the gloves
- 40c for the boots
- 20c for an equivalent helm (an extra 50c to 3Ex for one with the helm enchant)
- 80c for two Abyss Jewels with + Cold damage to spells / life / more + cold damage (or while dual wielding)

Levelling Gear Costs:
- No clue on what the rest would cost, as OP hasn't included a levelling guide at this stage.

Total build costs not including two top-tier wands is about 8-10 Exalt's, no idea about the costs of levelling gear/items though, as they weren't advised in the build guide. OP's wand's he is using go for 10 Exalt's a piece (or substantially more) for even lesser quality equivalent's on poe.trade, currently - so that's something to think about.
Lol it´s very nice of him to calculate this, why are you mad?

"
titanngui wrote:
dont try to act pro here we all know how to count, this is obviously end game build 10ex is nothing if you wanna go end game,
you trying to act pro with your stats here why not create a 10c fp endgame build and show us?
"
Adambjjoz wrote:

- 1c for the gloves
- 40c for the boots

Levelling Gear Costs:

Could it work with Frostbolt?
Well to be fair they do say to use void batteries and they aren't expensive this league so there is that. Wands are always pricey in rare form no matter how you build.
"
elwajo wrote:
Lol it´s very nice of him to calculate this, why are you mad?

LOL, who knows? Some kids on the net are just triggered by every day things and conversations.

My post clearly only added relevant info for OP to use for his build guide, so he didn't have to do it himself. I didn't have a negative word to say at all, so I have no idea what sent that kid into the hysterical state he seemed to whip himself up into?

The build looks like a pretty fun glass cannon style character to use.
"
Adambjjoz wrote:

- 1c for the gloves
- 40c for the boots

Levelling Gear Costs:

Don't forget the 6 gems which are 21/20 each.
FP: 150c
Hypo: 60c
Inc crit: 125c
echo: 1.5ex
CD: 110c
cold pen: 110c
====
9ex just in gems

and with just 18/0 gems the dps gets cut by a third, so that is pretty substantial. That is more dps loss than not having up any flask and vaal haste combined. Yes I am aware that lvl 18 gems is not exactly endgame, but just to put into perspective how much of a dps loss not having 21/20 is.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info