Are We Stuck with High Prices "Forever"?

With the addition of poe.trade the PC version of the game is a buyer's market. Everything is priced and when you look it up it shows the lowest priced item first which means if you want your item sold you have to be willing to undercut the others who are selling it in order to even get it on the first page.

The Xbox version however is a seller's market. There is absolutely ZERO motivation to price items. I'm currently in the abyss league and I have 4 of the giant 4x tabs full of uniques. The time that it takes in order to go through and price all that stuff, whether it's one at a time as I get them or all at once after I've collected for a while still eats into my time of actually playing. There is no motivation for me to price the stuff because 50% of the time my items won't even show up in the window when people are searching for it. Spending two leagues now looking for good prices on quality jewels you quickly learn that when you search for an item it doesn't actually show all the ones that are available. You can search 5 times for the same thing and you will see a gem twice. Once the first time and once on the 5 time, sometimes it takes more. Clearly that person isn't just logging in and out ever 15 minutes. The system is broken and doesn't show everything.

When people have currency to spend, this lack of the game showing all the items gives players the feeling that there aren't many of that item on the market so they will quickly offer high and/or purchase on buyout price the first item they see that is what they are looking for. Due to this phenomenon the prices on the market will always be high. Not to mention the fact that PC gamers are usually more mature players. Reason being because of the price to purchase a really nice gaming computer. There are far more kids playing on consoles than on PC and because of that you will also have to deal with the idea of them being rude and thinking because they saw an item listed once for 14 ex that this is the standard price and they won't sell for less.

As long as xbox remains a sellers market the prices will remain stupid high. Even if it becomes a buyers market the prices will probably never get as low as the PC version due to many factors. Some of which being the maturity of the player base and also easier access on PC to bot programs causing item supply to nearly meet or possibly even exceed the demand for the items.

PC also has serious issues. It's not uncommon for an ungodly item on PC to sell for 2k+ ex. You don't see prices of anything anywhere near that on xbox.

Another thing that causes prices to remain high is the need for items. People on xbox don't seem to understand that trying to go for a fully crafted set and using the fewest uniques as possible is the best way to play the game. Since people aren't doing the level of crafting that is being done on PC the currency items aren't getting used up. Players who are sitting on 50 ex don't really need more. They have all the uniques that they want and aren't getting into the crafting system so they just want more ex so they can show their pile to their friends. They aren't using them up in crafting and therefore aren't generating a need for the currency. Since there is no need they aren't pushing to try and sell their items for whatever they can get for them.
"
chronsmash wrote:
LOL, you really have to ask the question if botting real on PC or the Xbox.....

Thank you for replying on topic. At the risk of answering a rhetorical question on the record, no, I didn't really have to ask. But I didn't feel right declaring "bots run rampant" on PC version based on a bit of googling either (my entire PoE experience is from playing on the Xbox which is no direct help with PC matters). Still not prepared to make that proclamation actually but no one is denying it and maybe that is enough to draw a conclusion. I did watch a video of a player sitting in Highgate identifying a seemingly endless stream of tabula plus goldrim wearing characters as "that's a bot".

I didn't really see anything definitive regarding botting on the Xbox - saw both claims that is possible and claims that it is not (and possible does not equal effective or common). I don't suppose you have any insights regarding the prevalence of botting in the Xbox PoE world - given that you have already humoured me once.

Thanks again for your time and enlightening info.
I now comment in Forums with my Xbox account:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/xbox/view-profile/walkjohn55
"
"
chronsmash wrote:
LOL, you really have to ask the question if botting real on PC or the Xbox.....

Thank you for replying on topic. At the risk of answering a rhetorical question on the record, no, I didn't really have to ask. But I didn't feel right declaring "bots run rampant" on PC version based on a bit of googling either (my entire PoE experience is from playing on the Xbox which is no direct help with PC matters). Still not prepared to make that proclamation actually but no one is denying it and maybe that is enough to draw a conclusion. I did watch a video of a player sitting in Highgate identifying a seemingly endless stream of tabula plus goldrim wearing characters as "that's a bot".

I didn't really see anything definitive regarding botting on the Xbox - saw both claims that is possible and claims that it is not (and possible does not equal effective or common). I don't suppose you have any insights regarding the prevalence of botting in the Xbox PoE world - given that you have already humoured me once.

Thanks again for your time and enlightening info.

It will only end in a forum 24-hour ban....

Just go to Highgate and check it over a 24hour time frame, what you will find is the same players standing at the trade board. Hell, check it over a few days, same players, same spot.
"
Rashaka1 wrote:
With the addition of poe.trade the PC version of the game is a buyer's market. Everything is priced and when you look it up it shows the lowest priced item first which means if you want your item sold you have to be willing to undercut the others who are selling it in order to even get it on the first page.

The Xbox version however is a seller's market.

A nice, on topic reply - thank you. I found your buyer's market versus seller's market particularly thought provoking - thanks for that insight in to how to think of things. Following are some of my thoughts generated by your analysis.

When one starts buying gear with exalts, they have arrived to the "middle class". Crafting with exalts marks one as "wealthy".

I suspect that the incomplete search results are on purpose - no less debilitating with respect to obtaining rares, but on purpose. (From the Trade Manifesto:

"You can search broadly by a specific item class or type, but have to look through a lot of search results to find the one you want to make an offer on.") So it's not necessarily the implementation that is lacking. One can interpret "a lot of search results" several ways but having to repeat the search several times fits squarely in there.

I find that the current system does indeed work reasonably well for buying everyday uniques (after you get the lay of the land that is and ignoring any hassles acquiring the requested currency type), but I totally agree that shopping for rare jewels is unduly tedious. .... Did somebody say please give us a rarity filter at least for the interim? .... Anyone proposing that the current system is fine (without any caveats like rares) really should be tasked with buying 4 decent jewels at reasonable-for-the-Xbox prices.

Again, thank you for the interest shown and the time taken.
I now comment in Forums with my Xbox account:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/xbox/view-profile/walkjohn55
What did you expect? When I do a search for a Windripper on XBOX i get 8 hits. On poe.trade around 100. XBOX will always be much more expensive than PC because of lack of playerbase and the "missing" farm bots.
was just curious how xbox one players were doing, and given this enlightening post, i would play ssf :P
Life will be technically better Soon TM
"
waskely wrote:
was just curious how xbox one players were doing, and given this enlightening post, i would play ssf :P

Or just don't bother with the Xbox version
"
Rashaka1 wrote:

The Xbox version however is a seller's market. There is absolutely ZERO motivation to price items. I'm currently in the abyss league and I have 4 of the giant 4x tabs full of uniques. The time that it takes in order to go through and price all that stuff, whether it's one at a time as I get them or all at once after I've collected for a while still eats into my time of actually playing. There is no motivation for me to price the stuff because 50% of the time my items won't even show up in the window when people are searching for it. Spending two leagues now looking for good prices on quality jewels you quickly learn that when you search for an item it doesn't actually show all the ones that are available. You can search 5 times for the same thing and you will see a gem twice. Once the first time and once on the 5 time, sometimes it takes more. Clearly that person isn't just logging in and out ever 15 minutes. The system is broken and doesn't show everything.

When people have currency to spend, this lack of the game showing all the items gives players the feeling that there aren't many of that item on the market so they will quickly offer high and/or purchase on buyout price the first item they see that is what they are looking for. Due to this phenomenon the prices on the market will always be high. Not to mention the fact that PC gamers are usually more mature players. Reason being because of the price to purchase a really nice gaming computer. There are far more kids playing on consoles than on PC and because of that you will also have to deal with the idea of them being rude and thinking because they saw an item listed once for 14 ex that this is the standard price and they won't sell for less.

As long as xbox remains a sellers market the prices will remain stupid high. Even if it becomes a buyers market the prices will probably never get as low as the PC version due to many factors. Some of which being the maturity of the player base and also easier access on PC to bot programs causing item supply to nearly meet or possibly even exceed the demand for the items.

PC also has serious issues. It's not uncommon for an ungodly item on PC to sell for 2k+ ex. You don't see prices of anything anywhere near that on xbox.

Another thing that causes prices to remain high is the need for items. People on xbox don't seem to understand that trying to go for a fully crafted set and using the fewest uniques as possible is the best way to play the game. Since people aren't doing the level of crafting that is being done on PC the currency items aren't getting used up. Players who are sitting on 50 ex don't really need more. They have all the uniques that they want and aren't getting into the crafting system so they just want more ex so they can show their pile to their friends. They aren't using them up in crafting and therefore aren't generating a need for the currency. Since there is no need they aren't pushing to try and sell their items for whatever they can get for them.

The problem with the ultra high end crafting is unless you wanna make something for yourself you basically waste your time making something mirror worthy, most people won't know it exists and to find it on the trade board would be just dumb luck among a sea of rares.

You would have to know the person's tag and trade directly, which the system we have doesn't easily support.

With no money to be made who would even have the motivation to try and spend hundreds of exalts crafting.

Personally I would like to try my luck at it later this league, but I wouldn't be getting my wealth from flipping which makes aquisition of resources much slower.

Currently farming HH cards haven't ever seen a single one for sale yet either so might have to just stay in std after abyss to actually make something worthy.
XBOX-----------------
Kitava Supporter
Dominator Supporter
1st Lvl 100: Incursion League
1st SSF UE, UA, and Shaper: Delve League

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info