Massive Skill Effects Sale This Weekend

Having said that, I never cared much for skill MTX because I always try different skills, and none are enticing enough to buy over armor/weapon MTX (but maybe I just really like armor/weapon MTXs).
SSF since ~OB
Please make the Herald effect actualy change the color and not just add color on top of the old one. I want to look different not still see red fire under the black flame...
"
JoeShmo wrote:
34 whole percent.

Even Activision / Electronic Arts can loosen their grip wider on your wallet.
This company is stingy as hell when it comes to MTX prices.

I can't even argue against Warner Bros. for charging $9.99 for a dlc pack piggy-backing on the death of a developer with GGG's level of giving to the community. Hell, Blizzard charging $25 for a mount, for every one of your current and future characters, or charging $40 for a server transfer, makes me feel like a jerk in the face of this amazing giveaway.

Where do I sign up for these magical beans you're selling.

You mention Activision. They release a new Call of Duty every year which fragments the playerbase, incentivizes people to buy the newest one, and even have the nerve to further divide the playerbase by selling map packs for each entry in the series. You are comparing this monetisation method, favourably, against a company which gives you the game & expansions for free, incentivizes buying ~ €25 of additional stash tabs in a one-off purchase, and makes the rest of their money from selling cosmetic armour sets, alternative skill visual effects, and weapon skins.

You mention EA. The company which sold MMA, justified charging for an Online Pass by saying it would help to support the servers, then pulled the plug on the game's servers only 18 months after it was released. When some of their games were affected by GameSpy's collapse, they sent legal threats to the fans who attempted to keep the games alive.

Comparing Path of Exile to World of Warcraft, are we? I notice that you studiously avoided mentioning the need to pay for World of Warcraft, the latest expansion, and the monthly subscription. Let's just casually compare expensive in-game purchases from World of Warcraft which represent supplementary income for Blizzard with in-game purchases which are the only way GGG monetise Path of Exile. Perhaps you could explain why we're comparing some of the money spent on World of Warcraft with all of the money spent on Path of Exile? Because if you need to resort to those kind of apples-to-oranges comparisons... that says it all.

There is something which separates GGG from the likes of Activision, Electronic Arts, and Blizzard. Activision and EA keep releasing new games and migrating players over to them at the expense of their previous titles. Blizzard is interested in you sticking around for about as long as you can afford to - people have literally spent over €1,000 on WoW only to be locked out of their account because they could no longer afford to pay the monthly subscription. Path of Exile? You can just log in. It doesn't matter if you haven't spent money on GGG recently.

I'm not going to claim that it's feasible to play Path of Exile long-term without spending any money at all, because I don't believe that. I'm not going to say that GGG's ongoing monetisation of the game is perfect, because I have nothing but contempt for their mystery boxes.

But let me be clear: you could've spent €25 on Path of Exile once, five years ago, and not only could you still log in and play with an active community, but GGG would've spent the entire time releasing updates for the game made available to you for free. The same cannot be said about the others. And I might remind you that you are the one who selected them.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
this would be the truth if there were not nerfs each now and then, just to make peoples constantly switching from one type to another, from one build to another, and this all usually making you switch your cosmetics, skills look and feel and etc.
Therefore this economy is even worse than the ones which you have pointed.
well, given i'm on holiday and can't open the game client, how i'm supposed to know which skill effect i already have?

you seriously expect me to have a list of effects i want ready on my laptop?

the tech already is there, if i want to buy permium tab upgrades it says i'm already upgraded all my tabs, why can't you just enable it for other mtx?

"
Sarno wrote:
Comparing Path of Exile to World of Warcraft, are we?

ggg should switch accounts like those of joeShmo to pay2play with world of warcraft prices while making the mtx cheaper.

it can't get more idiotic than calling a company "greedy" that just hands out cosmetic items for free monetary support from players.
"
Un4seenMaji wrote:
Let put something on sale at a price higher than it even should be, naive is mankind not understanding marketing warfare against your weak minds. Slaves have you become to consumerism, keeping the rich richer and the poor poorer.

there is no price for anything, the game is free to play.

you get mtx to show your monetary support ingame. they occasionally reduce the prices so people living in countries with unfortunate exchange rates to the us dollar can also get some of the better stuff but that's it.

marketing warfare m-(
Last edited by cronus on Dec 29, 2017, 8:07:47 PM
"
cronus wrote:
you get mtx to show your monetary support ingame.

Wrong.

I mean, maybe two or more years ago it has been as you said, but now you just buy for yourself some style things. Shop range is more wider, playerbase is more bigger.

Now it's not game what must be supported by players to stay alive. Now it's the game that can make money by selling style.

And GGG also feel it...
E = mc^(OMG)/wtf
"
stonespeak wrote:

What magic beans are you smoking? What SabreWolfy said is the very definition of a counterargument to the Bull you originally typed...

You were comparing the sales of DLCs, Mounts, etc. which are all Pay to Play content, to that of Cosmetic Only items on a F2P game.

I dunno bruh, reading comprehension is hardz !?

No, he countered nothing in his statement, it had zero context to what I had said.
What did he actually counter by stating the obvious that they made a F2P game funded by microtransactions? What does that have to do with how big of a discount they made, or the comparisons I pointed out about other companies and how much they charge for things?

Exactly, zero context and counterargument. Stating a generalized statement without direction is not an argument, it's a logical fallacy.

Person1: "Why is the sun round?"
Person2: "You know it needs to burn chemicals right?"

/logic

Clearly, reading comprehension is hard.

To the point of something you actually tried to argue, mounts are cosmetic too, as well as character transfers, gender changes, race changes, etc. How are they "pay to play"? That's like saying Stash Tabs are not "pay to play", and that they are cosmetic. So GGG sells nothing but cosmetics? Right.....

It doesn't matter what the business model is, that's a copout. We're comparing what they are actually charging for. You think the omission of a $60 upfront fee means it's okay to charge $40 for a pair of wings, for 1 character at a time? If someone pays $60 in MTX on the store, does that not mean they should get a permanent discount now on the rest of the MTX, because now they've paid enough to count it as a full game purchase? Should they not get everything for free now?

At what point does your dismissive logic finally reach a sound argument?

"
Sarno wrote:
"
JoeShmo wrote:
34 whole percent.

Even Activision / Electronic Arts can loosen their grip wider on your wallet.
This company is stingy as hell when it comes to MTX prices.

I can't even argue against Warner Bros. for charging $9.99 for a dlc pack piggy-backing on the death of a developer with GGG's level of giving to the community. Hell, Blizzard charging $25 for a mount, for every one of your current and future characters, or charging $40 for a server transfer, makes me feel like a jerk in the face of this amazing giveaway.

Where do I sign up for these magical beans you're selling.

You mention Activision. They release a new Call of Duty every year which fragments the playerbase, incentivizes people to buy the newest one, and even have the nerve to further divide the playerbase by selling map packs for each entry in the series. You are comparing this monetisation method, favourably, against a company which gives you the game & expansions for free, incentivizes buying ~ €25 of additional stash tabs in a one-off purchase, and makes the rest of their money from selling cosmetic armour sets, alternative skill visual effects, and weapon skins.

You mention EA. The company which sold MMA, justified charging for an Online Pass by saying it would help to support the servers, then pulled the plug on the game's servers only 18 months after it was released. When some of their games were affected by GameSpy's collapse, they sent legal threats to the fans who attempted to keep the games alive.

Comparing Path of Exile to World of Warcraft, are we? I notice that you studiously avoided mentioning the need to pay for World of Warcraft, the latest expansion, and the monthly subscription. Let's just casually compare expensive in-game purchases from World of Warcraft which represent supplementary income for Blizzard with in-game purchases which are the only way GGG monetise Path of Exile. Perhaps you could explain why we're comparing some of the money spent on World of Warcraft with all of the money spent on Path of Exile? Because if you need to resort to those kind of apples-to-oranges comparisons... that says it all.

There is something which separates GGG from the likes of Activision, Electronic Arts, and Blizzard. Activision and EA keep releasing new games and migrating players over to them at the expense of their previous titles. Blizzard is interested in you sticking around for about as long as you can afford to - people have literally spent over €1,000 on WoW only to be locked out of their account because they could no longer afford to pay the monthly subscription. Path of Exile? You can just log in. It doesn't matter if you haven't spent money on GGG recently.

I'm not going to claim that it's feasible to play Path of Exile long-term without spending any money at all, because I don't believe that. I'm not going to say that GGG's ongoing monetisation of the game is perfect, because I have nothing but contempt for their mystery boxes.

But let me be clear: you could've spent €25 on Path of Exile once, five years ago, and not only could you still log in and play with an active community, but GGG would've spent the entire time releasing updates for the game made available to you for free. The same cannot be said about the others. And I might remind you that you are the one who selected them.

You seem to have missed the satire in my "praising" of EA / Activision when comparing them to GGG's charges for content. At no point did I actually praise them, nor state that they provided a fair / reasonable ( as a general statement ) service to consumers. I simply stated that as a comparison, I would be hard pressed to criticize EA / Activision for how much they try to exploit and "extort" money out of consumers, when GGG charges vastly more money for vastly less content.

And we're talking about the "extra" content, which DLC is a part of in most regards. I'm not arguing about monthly fees, paid expansions, etc. You can go on and pretend like that's the only line that matters, that PoE is "Free to play" and so they get to charge whatever they want, but it's a lame copout without an actual substantial argument made. To the point about me mentioning EA / Activision, and you trying to make it sound like I goofed up, it's a really good reason to bring them up.

They charge you $60 upfront for their games typically, then charge you up to $40 for services / cosmetics / etc. ; PoE may be "Free" to play, but they still charge you on average more than EA / Activision do for their own Digitcal content. Logic would stipulate that PoE should be charging less, so that if you bought everything from the MTX store it would equate to having bought everything from a full game purchase; but this is clearly not the case, and that's the point of the comparison, and the illogical arguments that follow with "It's F2P!".

Take Diablo 3 for example, you paid $60 upfront for the original release, then $40 for the expansion ( with the option to buy the "digital deluxe" for more ), then they charged $15 for a single class just recently. Without making a valid argument that you can pick up the entire bundle for $20-$30 these last 2 weeks, you would have spent at least $135 at release for all of this content. They also have updated the game, for free, several times a year since it was first released over 5 years ago. We can argue the merit / worth of said content updates, just like with PoE, but that's apart from the context of this discussion.

You make it sound like PoE, and GGG, are providing you this giant bundle of free content, when the vast majority of game devlopers continue to support their games beyond their initial release. There are those that don't, and those that exploitatively try to charge their consumers every year like you mentioned, but those are outliers. And still, mentioning them, like I did, makes for a sound argument when making these comparisons.

What do you get for $135 worth of MTX in Path of Exile? 3 wings? 20 pets? 40 stash tabs?
Do you end up with everything from the MTX store?

When the MTXs go on sale, how deep of a discount do you get often?
What about for EA / Activision / Other games?

I can tell you right now, there's no argument that GGG doesn't give discounts at anywhere near the same level as the vast majority of other companies, including other F2P games. And we're not even talking recently added MTXs , or ones GGG added last year. There are MTX from the very beginning of the game that still don't go on sale for very much of a discount, and that's the point of this.

GGG has the same predatory nature in its business model as nay of the other greedy companies, EA / Activision included. You, and others, just choose to dismiss it based on a tired cliche statement that it's "Free to Play", like that actually means anything.

You could spend $15 on World of Warcarft ( since you want to include this in some sort of anti argument ), and consume 13 years worth of content in 1 month if you wish, and then put it away.
And that's the level of argument you can make for Path of Exile? That you can just "pick it up" whenever you want? But again, you're arguing content over microtransations / services / etc., which is not the argument being actually made.

"
cronus wrote:
well, given i'm on holiday and can't open the game client, how i'm supposed to know which skill effect i already have?

you seriously expect me to have a list of effects i want ready on my laptop?

the tech already is there, if i want to buy permium tab upgrades it says i'm already upgraded all my tabs, why can't you just enable it for other mtx?

"
Sarno wrote:
Comparing Path of Exile to World of Warcraft, are we?

ggg should switch accounts like those of joeShmo to pay2play with world of warcraft prices while making the mtx cheaper.

it can't get more idiotic than calling a company "greedy" that just hands out cosmetic items for free monetary support from players.

Considering how much I've put into this game, that would have given me vastly more content had they done that. You seem to forget that with a game like WoW, you get an expansion and 3-4 major content updates in a span of a year ( and then a year of relatively nothing ). The level of content path of exile produces pales in comparison to that ( and I really don't feel like making a positive statement about Blizzard's ability to make content, but for comparison's sake its valid ).

For a game ( PoE ) that pushes out at least a dozen MTX's a month, paying only $15 a month for everything would be amazing. Not sure exactly what you thought when trying to bring that into a "We got em!" conversation.

I'm definitely not sure how that would not be seen as more greedy.

It's like people just make statements out of the back of their pants, without thinking about what they are saying first.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info