Because not all of us likes red effects of some skills

It'd be appreciated.

Last edited by FedeS on Nov 22, 2017, 9:54:10 PM
Last bumped on Nov 24, 2017, 7:43:23 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
That would indeed be helpful, as would a particle slider.

Yesterday I broke the game by spamming too much stuff with extra gore (entire screen started flickering white and green).
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
I had no idea I was a psycho, thanks for clearing that up for me.

@Char1983

Be careful when you start getting those artifacts. It could be software, but also often means your graphics card is overloaded/overheating. Particle effects are also heavy on CPU in particular, which can also lead to temperature problems, especially in laptops.

Computers nowadays are all protected from dangerously overheating and the mainboard will force shut itself down when a critical temperature is detected on or around the CPU. Graphics cards usually don't have this, as they can take significantly higher temperatures with relative ease. But nonetheless, overexposure to high temperatures reduces the lifespan of your hardware significantly.

Try to keep it cool. (Good advice for all aspects in life, lol)
Turn your PC off for a while when you start noticing these problems.

I've voiced my concerns about this to GGG ever since it started being an issue. (remember COC pre-nerf? :D) But I haven't really seen any significant changes (graphically) so far. Doesn't matter to me personally with my rig, but I know there's many like you out there who need this change.
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
Last edited by Xavathos on Nov 21, 2017, 7:19:42 AM
Thanks for the advice. Will have a look at it. The build I am currently running is indeed very very graphics intensive, and I run the game at 3440x1440 with maxed details. Graphics card is a rather premium version of an RX 580 though, and the case should be cooled rather well. But I will have a look at it.
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
I agree with your suggestion. However, that thread title though :D
"
Char1983 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Will have a look at it. The build I am currently running is indeed very very graphics intensive, and I run the game at 3440x1440 with maxed details. Graphics card is a rather premium version of an RX 580 though, and the case should be cooled rather well. But I will have a look at it.

I haven't had much personal experience with recent AMD cards, as I've been using nVidia cards since the HD 48xx series. But if they follow the same trend as they did before, AMD CPUs and GPUs get quite a bit hotter than Intel/nVidia counterparts. The cause of that is in the build of the CPU/GPU cores and how efficiently they draw and use power.

Where Intel and nVidia are using a rather polite, sophisticated way of balancing power and performance, AMD tends to go down the rather more simple and plain "MOAR POWAH TO THE MAIN ENGINE!" approach. It's cheaper to produce, but simply put, power = heat. While it's true AMD chips are built to be able to handle higher temperatures in comparison, they are not running CWDT/IC, I'm afraid.

Pro tip if you have an air cooled CPU (even for relatively new PCs)
Every now and then, open your case to check if any dust has accumulated on or between the fins on your heatsink. Even a little bit will become a lot very quickly and this has a huge impact on the efficiency of your cooling. If there is dust, carefully use a vacuum cleaner to get rid of it. Make sure the power is off (lol) and all cables are disconnected (network cables/USB transfer power as well!). Do not touch any hardware and make sure you hold the fan in place when vacuum cleaning around, as having it spin without power can break it, especially in the opposite direction.

I did this for a friend recently that was having trouble with his PC overheating (in winter...) and his average stressed CPU temperature went from 82C to 53C... and there wasn't even all that much dust there. It really helps.

Good luck and if you're in doubt about anything, ask me. Don't experiment with expensive equipment, especially your own! :P
Carry on my waypoint son, there'll be peace when maps are done.
Lay your portal gem to rest, don't you die no more.

'Cause it's a bitter sweet symphony this league.
Try to make maps meet, you're a slave to the meta, then you leave.
Why off/on? I want a slider on a scale from "Disney movie" to "DOOM".
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
Why off/on? I want a slider on a scale from "Disney movie" to "DOOM".

From "safe zone" to (Alucard from)"Hellsing" c:
"
Xavathos wrote:
"
Char1983 wrote:

I haven't had much personal experience with recent AMD cards, as I've been using nVidia cards since the HD 48xx series. But if they follow the same trend as they did before, AMD CPUs and GPUs get quite a bit hotter than Intel/nVidia counterparts. The cause of that is in the build of the CPU/GPU cores and how efficiently they draw and use power.

Where Intel and nVidia are using a rather polite, sophisticated way of balancing power and performance, AMD tends to go down the rather more simple and plain "MOAR POWAH TO THE MAIN ENGINE!" approach. It's cheaper to produce, but simply put, power = heat. While it's true AMD chips are built to be able to handle higher temperatures in comparison, they are not running CWDT/IC, I'm afraid.

Pro tip if you have an air cooled CPU (even for relatively new PCs)
Every now and then, open your case to check if any dust has accumulated on or between the fins on your heatsink. Even a little bit will become a lot very quickly and this has a huge impact on the efficiency of your cooling. If there is dust, carefully use a vacuum cleaner to get rid of it. Make sure the power is off (lol) and all cables are disconnected (network cables/USB transfer power as well!). Do not touch any hardware and make sure you hold the fan in place when vacuum cleaning around, as having it spin without power can break it, especially in the opposite direction.

I did this for a friend recently that was having trouble with his PC overheating (in winter...) and his average stressed CPU temperature went from 82C to 53C... and there wasn't even all that much dust there. It really helps.

Good luck and if you're in doubt about anything, ask me. Don't experiment with expensive equipment, especially your own! :P

Well, the new Ryzen AMD processors are as cool or even cooler than the Intel equivalents, and while AMD has a disadvantage on the graphics cards side, with RX and Vega series, those do manage to "survive" their warranty period quite fine, even with moderate OC 24/7/365...

It would also be great if @Char1983 would also pay more attention to the power supply output, and other factors like RAM stability especially when using any kind of OC, but from the initial reply, I would be inclined to further test CPU/GPU temperatures and power supply for keeping the parameters on the electricity provided...

PS: We all know that PoE still needs a whole lot of improvements for AMD systems, but due to their port for Xbox, there might be further performance improvements in store for the hopefully closer future...

And yes, I do use mainly AMD powered systems and notebooks for gaming and video/image edititing and they are "up to snuff", even when discussing the state of PoE...
PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
"
鬼殺し wrote:
What a load of crap, lol.

Hilarious, to say that toning down the gore would make you less of a 'psycho inside' when you're apparently still okay running past: an Auschwitzian level of emaciated corpses; torture devices covered in blood and body parts; literal *rivers* of liquefied viscera; and writhing masses screaming in agony without blinking an eye. And that's just Act 3.

Be honest: you want the gore reduced because it would improve performance. And that's fine. But arguing that reducing the gore would make Path of Exile any more wholesome is a whole hell of a lot of bullshit.

And as I said elsewhere: as long as this remains an mtx, GGG are rightfully reluctant to give players the ability to ignore that which others have paid for as an aesthetic upgrade.

Their only real recourse is to reduce performance drop-off when people use their paid-for shinies.

... did you just use Auschwitz as an adjective?

"Auschwitzian"??

Really?
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
Last edited by bwam on Nov 21, 2017, 7:54:39 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info