Labs should not be mandatory.

Good call, OP. It's garbage.
"
Dharall wrote:
"
Boem wrote:
I don't understand the fuss about something that requires so little time investment for the power it gives.

Because we hate the platform twich trap crap... HATE IT!
If that would have been 5% of the play time I wouldn't play this game at all.

Thats why :)

Maybe i should explain myself better.

I don't understand the fuss about this since it's like below 1% of time investment in the whole duration your playing a character.

So you dislike traps and lab "ok", i'm pretty sure most people playing PoE for extended time dislike something about the game, perhaps you should be happy it's the lab you dislike since it takes such a minuscule amount of time to complete?

I don't know, i was thought that some things in life will not be "fun and games" so i tend to compare the good and the bad and as long as the good outweighs the bad i don't complain.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"I don't understand the fuss about this since it's like below 1% of time investment in the whole duration your playing a character."

That 1% can seem like a nightmare if the event is stressful enough. As an extreme example imagine going on vacation with your family to an island, having a great time for a week, but then you had to spend 10 minutes fighting off zombies to protect your children on your way to an evac helicopter. That would probably soil your view of the vacation. Hell some people may enjoy that rush, but for those that don't that 1% is going to seem like a lot more than 1%. It's going to be the highlight of that vacation in a bad way because if the heightened negative emotion accosiated with that 1%.

That it takes up such a small portion of the game is an argument against labs being mandatory to unlock the full potential of your character. Why the hell should I even have to go though them if it's such a small portion of the game and so different from the rest of the content? Why can't I earn my way to bypass them? Why can't I spend 1 chaos at a door to auto complete labs or beat a boss to unlock ascendancy. If your argument is that "it's only a small portion of the game" then you should have no problem with an option being implemented to allow those of use who HATE this portion of the game to bypass it. Either way it's not going to effect you much and it will make the game infinitely more enjoyable for those that don't enjoy that type of gameplay.

I'll probably try doing what someone suggested by playing the game on normal. Don't know how fun that will be for me. Playing hardcore brings an excitment to the game that can't really be replicated by normal. Also I do like playing the hardcore leagues. I just don't want to have to reroll a character because I slipped up on some traps. It's the least satisfying thing of all time. I've never died to traps but I've gotten really close multiple times. Now every time I see a trap I want to break my computer. That's not health for a game that wants me to play it or tell my friends about it.
Last edited by ProfessorGanymede on Nov 9, 2017, 9:24:44 AM
^If your scared of dying that much, why are you playing hardcore?

When you compare traps to random creeps you fight, traps are actually forgiving since they follow a set pattern and damage value's. While creeps are fully randomized, it's quite weird to me that "almost dying to traps" is a stress inducing experience while fighting every creep that can land a hit on you is "almost dying" in a game like PoE in end-game.

Labyrinth is like one of the only "hardcore" experiences PoE offers, pretty much any other content in the game can be trivialized by wealth acquisition.

It only cares about "skill based positioning".

I find it weird how you proceed to go and say
"
I'll probably try doing what someone suggested by playing the game on normal. Don't know how fun that will be for me. Playing hardcore brings an excitment to the game that can't really be replicated by normal.

indicating you enjoy excitement, but go full tilt when labyrinth provides it equally to all players irrelevant of individual power gap difference.

It all seems very odd to me.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
The different feel of the lab mini-game compared to the rest of the game enhances the irritation factor.

When playing an *RPG, you tend to expect to define and develop your character through the main game and/or through class-specific quests. I can't think of any other *RPG I've ever played (and I've played many) where a repetitive trap-focused mini-game serves as a key gate to character definition and development, instead of the main game and class-specific quests.

It's at least a bit jarring for a platform mini-game to drive character definition and development and, if you don't enjoy the experience, then it's a bit like a vegetarian finding a piece of meat sitting in the middle of their evening meal. It's a "What the fuck is that doing in my dinner?" moment.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Nov 9, 2017, 9:59:03 AM
So it's a complaint that PoE offers variety and it's not monolithic experience?

I represent only myself, my own thought and believes. I am individual, not a representative of the community.
I am not speaking on behalf of someone else and I don't get offended by things that have nothing to do with me.

3.13 was the golden age.
"
Marxone wrote:
So it's a complaint that PoE offers variety and it's not monolithic experience?

If the kind of variety doesn't really matter so very much, then I suggest the following very carefully thought through source of variety be implemented in POE.

Ascendancy should be moved behind this exciting new game content because, well, variety.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Nov 9, 2017, 10:11:25 AM
"

If the kind of variety doesn't really matter so very much, then I suggest the following very carefully thought through source of variety be implemented in POE.

Ascendancy should be moved behind this exciting new game content because, well, variety.

Too long to read, some arcade within PoE? I don't like racing so i don't participate in racing in PoE, since it's on PoE forum and not reddit, it will not get any attention by devs, so why bother.
If it gets implemented, i might participate, i might not. If the reward will be good enough, sure, i will race.
I represent only myself, my own thought and believes. I am individual, not a representative of the community.
I am not speaking on behalf of someone else and I don't get offended by things that have nothing to do with me.

3.13 was the golden age.
"^If your scared of dying that much, why are you playing hardcore?

When you compare traps to random creeps you fight, traps are actually forgiving since they follow a set pattern and damage value's. While creeps are fully randomized, it's quite weird to me that "almost dying to traps" is a stress inducing experience while fighting every creep that can land a hit on you is "almost dying" in a game like PoE in end-game."

I'm not scared of dying because of my character build. If I have a bad build or poor resistance, or progress too fast, a boss or mobs can kill me. But that death is tied into the progression of my character. That death is woven into the core of the game. Trap deaths are deaths that happen regardless of build or preparation. No matter how I progress or prepare, if I misstep on literally any character, I die. But it's more than just the deaths, its that the gameplay is so jarringly different from the rest of the fundamental game play of POE. One person here gave a perfect example about a vegetarian finding meat on their plate. Being forced to do labs is like going into a vegetarian restaurant because you like vegetarian food and being served a full course meal. But then every once in a while you get served meat, and you can't move on to the rest of your delicious vegetarian meal without eating that little bit of meat. I should be able to bypass this meat. I came for a vegetarian meal. This meat shouldn't be forced down my throat. I came to POE rpg experience of progressing my character, not running a gauntlet of traps like a mouse.

There is a huge difference between almost dying to traps and almost dying to creeps. Dying to a boss or to creep is influenced by the progression of your character. IF you almost died to porcupines, just means you didn't have enough defenses. Get shield block, or run a armor flask, or immortal call. If you almost died to Piety, get more lightning res. And if a certain portion of the game is too hard, like Kitava, get a friend to help you beat it or go do a bit of grinding to earn enough currency to pay someone else to do it so you can move on to the rest of the content fast. Labs don't offer that ability to earn your way out of it. You have to go through it on every character, and not every character is very good at it. Even with movement abilities. Especially since I like summoners, Trying to keep my spectres alive during labs is super annoying. I should have an option to bypass this part of the game with enough currency.

So why shouldn't I have the ability to sweep that piece of meat off my plate when I'm here for a vegetarian meal?
Im not a fan of the lab either, but I accepted its here to stay.

GGG wont remove content worth several months of development time, just because some ppl dont like it.
Cry all you want, lab will stay - deal with it.

The way I did it was to create a dedicated lab runner. I did run the goddamn thing for 1-2 days in a row, yapp that happened...
Now I know the trap setups, hidden passages and whatnot. Which means Im able to blast through the lab in no time. Especially when considering the reworked lab, it really is a joke not worth complaining.

To clarify:
I still do not like the lab and probably never will.
But its so easy and quick to do once you know what you are supposed to do, its really not worth all the QQ here.
If you want the ascendancy power, you better learn how to lab as quickly as possible or skip it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info